PDA

View Full Version : I hope nobody still questions Brandon

davereds24
10-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Only position player to show up this series, hurt and with no postseason experience. Look forward to having him in a Reds uni for years to come.

R_Webb18
10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
i agree. them 2 errors were great j/k i rly do want him back. we spent what 72 m this yr im guessing this increases? we also can replacewith trades imo. putting valika(sp) in there is not the answer imo.

shan12stones
10-11-2010, 12:55 AM
i'm looking fwd to brandon being on the reds for years to come also.

Krawhitham
10-11-2010, 01:06 AM
I hope he is traded, he is not worth 13 million

redsfan_12
10-11-2010, 01:07 AM
I think Stubbs showed up

Vottomatic
10-11-2010, 08:59 AM

His salary increases to $11M in '11, then he becomes a free agent.

He turns 30 next June 28th.

Signing him long term would take the Reds into his declining years.

That is not how you build a contending team.

Red in Atl
10-11-2010, 03:40 PM
The way it works is the younger guy comes up to learn from the "veteran" who's "earned" his paycheck. BP will be here next year, then gone. We won't be able to afford him. We will need that $11M. Valaika is the heir apparent just as Francisco will be at third and Janish is at Short.

This team will change very little next year as far as faces. We will lose Harang's big contract with that money going to raises for the young guys.

Big question is what to do with Chapman. Seems like he could turn into the next Mariano. We have plenty of starters with a great (6) of Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Bailey, Leake and Wood. And we still have LeClure and Maloney who would be good 4 or 5's for many teams.

Still think we need an upgrade in left. A proven veteran would be nice.

webbbj
10-11-2010, 03:56 PM
anyone think BP4 could move to SS (a position he has played b4) to make room for valaika at 2B? then we only need to make a significant upgrade at LF and not both SS and LF.

Jack Burton
10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
At this point Valaika is probably a better fit for this ball club.

New York Red
10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
If BP wants a longterm deal, I think the Reds let him go and we go with Valaika (or bring in a proven veteran 2B). Too soon to say for sure which direction we go though. I stopped "questioning" Brandon when we knew he was still playing injured down the stretch, but I don't think any of the Reds position players really showed up in the postseason. Offensively, we were no-shows, and defensively we completely melted down.

bshall2105
10-11-2010, 07:21 PM
I think it's smart to let him play out his contract, and decide if Valaika is going to be the guy at the end of next year. Also, won't he be a Type A free agent bringing us a couple of draft picks if somebody signs him?

Applegate2433
10-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Valakia for BP at second base only makes the team weaker, which is the problem with choosing Valakia over BP, if we want continued success, we should keep BP, a gold glove 2B with a pretty good bat...I say keep him...

BLEEDS
10-11-2010, 11:03 PM

Unfortunately all the "metrics" say he actually is, and more, for the last few years.

Fortunately Dusty doesn't pay attention to metrics.

I'd guess they spend the $13M for next year, then let him walk.
One of Valaika or Frazier should be able to replace him after 2011.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Krawhitham
10-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Valakia for BP at second base only makes the team weaker, which is the problem with choosing Valakia over BP, if we want continued success, we should keep BP, a gold glove 2B with a pretty good bat...I say keep him...

Trade Phillips for young cheap talent then use that 11 million + 5 for Crawford. Or use it to lock Votto up long term.

All Phillips did in the playoffs was have ONE good game with the bat and cost the team the same game with his glove. Phillips is easy to replace sorry but it is true. 18 HR, 59 RBI, & 16 SB with 12 CS is not 11 million worthy.

I would not think Walt care to much for Phillips the team he called whinny little b*****s is a team Walt put together

New York Red
10-11-2010, 11:15 PM
If we let BP go at some point, I'm assuming we'll use that money to upgrade other positions. It would make no sense otherwise.

Applegate2433
10-11-2010, 11:35 PM
trading for cheap, young talent isn't as easy as it sounds...and I don't think this team will be able to sign Crawford, we will be outbid by somebody with a lot of cash...if we drop Phillips and add Crawford...i'm all for that move. I just don't see the Reds being able to do it. And my point was BP>>>Valakia, in every part of the game. And I think Walt could care less who BP called *******...he will do what he thinks will be best to improve the team, whether it be keeping BP or trading him...

scott91575
10-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Phillips does have a team option for 2012 at $12 million. So he is not necessarily gone after next year.

Stray
10-12-2010, 08:11 AM
He'll be back next year, and that is a good thing. His season numbers won't look as impressive since his avg declined bad towards the end of the year when he was hurt, but he was a .285-.300 hitter for the majority of the year. Defensively he's the best there is, so he's worth every bit of what he's making IMO.

Pinning the errors in game 2 on him is kinda rough since there were other guys flubbing up as well. The team as a whole wasn't ready for the bright lights in the playoffs. We're set to contend for a few years now so I don't really like the idea of downgrading a position....we'll be better next season, and we'll be more prepared for the playoffs.

Caveman Techie
10-12-2010, 12:48 PM
BP has been worth ever dime of his contract + some! If I'm the Reds I go to him and ask him to renegotiate his contract though, I ask him to lower the amount of money going to him next year to 7 - 8 Million, but I extend him out another 3 - 4 years.

He may not take it, but I get the impression that he wants to stay in Cinci, and this might be the only way he gets to.

Newman4
10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
How about a BP/Arroyo for Matt Kemp/Chad Billingsley swap?

scott91575
10-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Why would the Dodgers do that?

Kingspoint
10-12-2010, 04:49 PM

$13M can be better spent for this franchise.

Hustleman
10-13-2010, 08:53 PM

billingsley is a FA i believe. even if he wasn't, i cant see LA doing that deal

scott91575
10-14-2010, 05:44 AM
billingsley is a FA i believe. even if he wasn't, i cant see LA doing that deal

Billingsley is a free agent in 2013, and doesn't make that much (he is still in his arbitration years). No idea why they would want Arroyo for 1 year and way more money. Phillips and Kemp are similar performance wise (well, for this past year), but again Kemp is way cheaper, younger, and not a FA until 2013. No way that is anywhere near a reasonable deal.