PDA

View Full Version : Gomes awaiting Reds' decision for future

BurgervilleBuck
10-11-2010, 05:50 PM
I think it's time to shave the Mohawk (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101011&content_id=15579398&notebook_id=15579518&vkey=notebook_cin&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin).

FlyerFanatic
10-11-2010, 06:05 PM
yea, dont bring him back. go after a LF in FA if not nix can do just as well out there.

mmt1552
10-11-2010, 06:13 PM
yea, dont bring him back. go after a LF in FA if not nix can do just as well out there.

Nix is a FA too I believe. Although he shouldn't cost much to retain.

They have some choices to make regarding their younger players. Are they going to try Alonso in LF (doubt it, but its been thrown around)? I'm leaning more towards no on bringing Gomes back, but I wouldn't mind him back as a back-up pinch hitter with some pop and occassional starter. Of course, then that brins up the question of whether Dusty would actually play him in that role if they brought him back.

likemenow
10-11-2010, 06:25 PM
no way in hell he should be brought back. nix/heisy will do just fine for me

kfm
10-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I think you have to bring him back. He is a valuable player off the bench, and he is a good bench player. I don't like him as the every day LF, but I don't know what we had that was better this year. I would have liked to have seen Vladimir Balentien, but it seems like the entire organization disagrees with me on that one. Good teams have good benches, and Gomes can be that player. His price tag is not out of this world, and you don't want a bunch of young guys on the bench. I would have loved to have seen Heisey playing everyday in aaa this year, I think it probably would have helped him fix his approach at the plate. So you need veterans on the bench and if someone got hurt you know that you can play Gomes. I think we should look at adding to this team instead of dismantling so unless there is a better veteran option out there, I bring Gomes back.

berryluther
10-11-2010, 08:44 PM
If I am Walt I offer Votto a 6 year deal. If he acts like he wants to go through arb and test FA then let him and move him to LF for 3 years and let Alonso play 1b.

FlyerFanatic
10-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I think you have to bring him back. He is a valuable player off the bench, and he is a good bench player. I don't like him as the every day LF, but I don't know what we had that was better this year. I would have liked to have seen Vladimir Balentien, but it seems like the entire organization disagrees with me on that one. Good teams have good benches, and Gomes can be that player. His price tag is not out of this world, and you don't want a bunch of young guys on the bench. I would have loved to have seen Heisey playing everyday in aaa this year, I think it probably would have helped him fix his approach at the plate. So you need veterans on the bench and if someone got hurt you know that you can play Gomes. I think we should look at adding to this team instead of dismantling so unless there is a better veteran option out there, I bring Gomes back.

we bring gomes back he wont be a bench player. dusty will start him.

Applegate2433
10-11-2010, 08:57 PM

Exactly, I wouldn't mind having him as a 4th/5th outfielder, but I am afraid that if we do bring him back, we won't address our need at LF (with cleanup hitting abilities), and we will go into next year with Gomes as our starting LF once again...

redsfan_12
10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
I was listening to WLW today..they were all bring up Crawford. GET HIM HERE!

kfm
10-11-2010, 09:42 PM

If you don't give him a better option, he will have no choice but to start him. Poeple keep saying get rid of Gomes, who is ready to play left field? Gomes was not playing everyday until Dickerson got hurt this year. Gomes was not playing every day last year either. Give Dusty a real leftfielder. This isn't fantasy baseball, you need actual players who can produce. I am all for keeping Gomes and resinging Nix but if you don't get an actual leftfielder, I don't get letting the one you have walk without a replacement in mind and then no backup. Gomes can have a role on this team same as Nix, but letting Gomes walk without a backup plan and then without a backup just makes no sense.

BLEEDS
10-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I was listening to WLW today..they were all bring up Crawford. GET HIM HERE!

Crawford? Of the NY Yankees you mean?

We can't afford to overpay what it would take for us to win that bidding war.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

TheBigLebowski
10-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Gomes as a 4th/5th outfielder would be a fine idea at the right price, but we all know Captain Loyalty will not relegate him to a backup role unless Walt does indeed bring in a stud LF this off-season, and I have my doubts about that. I don't have any kids, but I do know it's a bad idea to give them toys you don't want them playing with.

Hey Meat
10-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I think we cut out on some errors and a hacker here. Try to bring in Crawford. He is not really a leadoff guy, but maybe we could plug him in there.

krm1580
10-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Gomes hit 20 HRs in 281Abs in 2009 and I believe was brought back with the belief that he would hit 30+ in full time duty, filling a large void in LF. He ended up hitting 18 and outside of the month of May he was pretty dreadful.

He is basically a 1 tool guy, power, and that tool did not show up. If they are not going to be able to upgrade LF with someone outside the organization, I believe Chris Heisey can provide the same offense as Gomes with much better defense and better running ability. Gomes is expendable and should be let go.

mlh1981
10-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Thanks for May, Gomes, but I think we need to examine other options.

DocRed
10-13-2010, 10:59 AM
It really scares me to think that the Reds would resign Gomes. In fact if I had to predict I would say they will :X

AWA85
10-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I hope Gomes is awaiting this decision for a long time.... I am perfectly fine going with defense of Janish/Cozart at SS if the Reds can improve LF. Heisey and Nix can be very solid 4th and 5th OF's with somebody else brought in through trade or signing.

I just don't think Gomes is the answer.

Trace's Daddy
10-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't have the answer, but I would like to see a major improvement on defense in LF.

TheBigLebowski
10-13-2010, 12:46 PM
I don't have the answer

You might be the first person in the history of Redszone to admit that.