PDA

View Full Version : Reds still plan on using Chapman as a starter

OnBaseMachine
10-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I thought this probably deserved a thread of it's own since some have wondered what role Chapman would be in next season.

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty reiterated the club's plans to return reliever Aroldis Chapman to the ranks of starting pitchers. This will give the Reds seven bona fide contenders for the five-man rotation: Chapman, Johnny Cueto, Homer Bailey (all three of whom pitched well in Game 3 of the NLDS), Edinson Volquez, Travis Wood, Mike Leake and Bronson Arroyo.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101011/SPT04/10120335/1071/Young-pitching-staff-has-Reds-players-excited

nemesis
10-12-2010, 09:39 PM
I personally liked the quote from Votto:

"I don't see any (of the regulars) going anywhere," he said. "We don't have very many free agents, if any. We've got a bunch of guys making the minimum, and we're here for good"

Sounds like ESPN's report of his demise to a larger market is greatly exaggerated.

Homer Bailey
10-12-2010, 09:56 PM
I personally liked the quote from Votto:

"I don't see any (of the regulars) going anywhere," he said. "We don't have very many free agents, if any. We've got a bunch of guys making the minimum, and we're here for good"

Sounds like ESPN's report of his demise to a larger market is greatly exaggerated.

It wasn't even really a report, more like conjecture.

reds1869
10-13-2010, 09:56 AM
It wasn't even really a report, more like conjecture.

Which is what E-spin does best. I don't take any of their "reporting" seriously.

Eric_the_Red
10-13-2010, 11:17 AM
ESPN didn't say Votto was going anywhere next season: he can't. They said the Reds being able to keep him long-term may be in jeopardy. Nothing Votto said above disputes that. (It doesn't make it true either, but his quote doesn't disprove the conjecture.)

Back to the topic on hand, I think if Chapman is going to be a starter, he has to start the year in AAA. He simply does not have the control to be a ML starter at this point, and when runners reach base he is a totally different pitcher.

Personally, I would like to see him in the bullpen to start the year, not as a set-up man but as a long middle reliever. Let him pitch 2-3 innings in a variety of situations: close games, blow out wins, blow out losses, put him in the 5th inning, 7th inning, whatever. The more different game situations that he can experience, the better. But I feel he would progress more facing ML hitters and under the watchful eye of Price, and it would help the big league club more.

PuffyPig
10-13-2010, 11:44 AM
ESPN didn't say Votto was going anywhere next season: he can't. They said the Reds being able to keep him long-term may be in jeopardy. Nothing Votto said above disputes that.

You don't think him saying "we're here for good" is "something said"?

While you can argue that in context it may mean little, I don't you you can say he said nothing that was relevant to the subject matter.

Sea Ray
10-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I thought this probably deserved a thread of it's own since some have wondered what role Chapman would be in next season.

Is this news? They've been very consistent in saying this all along

Brutus
10-13-2010, 01:53 PM
You don't think him saying "we're here for good" is "something said"?

While you can argue that in context it may mean little, I don't you you can say he said nothing that was relevant to the subject matter.

He didn't really say that. He said he didn't see any of the regulars going anywhere.

That seems to be more of a short term comment, seeing as how it's very unlikely the regulars are there "for good."

It was an encouraging comment, but wasn't exactly a statement of being around for the long haul.

Eric_the_Red
10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
He didn't really say that. He said he didn't see any of the regulars going anywhere.

That seems to be more of a short term comment, seeing as how it's very unlikely the regulars are there "for good."

It was an encouraging comment, but wasn't exactly a statement of being around for the long haul.

Exactly. "We're here for good" means "we're here until we have the option to go elsewhere, and then maybe some will be here and some won't". Which is what the ESPN article basically said as well.

OnBaseMachine
11-02-2010, 06:58 PM
From the Cincinnati Enquirer. Jocketty on Chapman's role in 2011:

“There is a possibility that (Chapman) could relieve, if we’ve got a lot of starting pitching,” Jocketty said. “Once we get to spring training we’ll know more. We haven’t made a final decision yet. Long term, we see him as a starter.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/11/02/jocketty-chapman-might-still-relieve/

edabbs44
11-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey, if it makes the team better then that's cool.

OnBaseMachine
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Dusty on Chapman - from John Fay:

BAKER: Eventually, yeah, he has No. 1 starter stuff. But he has, like I said, No. 1 bullpen stuff, too. You know what I mean. The only thing is, out of the bullpen, he doesn’t get the opportunity to use all his stuff. He might throw an occasional breaking ball. I hear he has an excellent change-up. Because guys start eliminating pitches generally when they go from starter to bullpen.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/12/06/baker-on-chapman-4/