PDA

View Full Version : Fredi Gonzalez to manage Braves

Redsfan320
10-12-2010, 10:43 PM
As some expected. (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/10/fredi-gonzalez-to-manage-braves.html)

The Operator
10-12-2010, 11:00 PM
And Jeff Loria is going to watch as another manager he canned goes on to win quite a few ballgames with a different club.

This time, he'll have an even closer view.

Slyder
10-12-2010, 11:44 PM
And Jeff Loria is going to watch as another manager he canned goes on to win quite a few ballgames with a different club.

This time, he'll have an even closer view.

I wish baseball would step in and make him sell the team to someone who would at least TRY to compete. First he did it and killed baseball in Montreal with his cheap $$$ tricks. Now he's gotten lucky in Florida once and getting the ballpark and still using the cheap $$$ tricks. If Selig is a jellyfish (no spine) then Loria is a rat.

RedFanAlways1966
10-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Good for Fredi Gonzalez. Became one of my favorite non-REDS people when he had the guts to bench a (young... immature?) shortstop who broke a cardinal rule in baseball. I hope he leads the Braves to a divisional title next year (more of an anti-Phils thing) even though his team loses all games to the team from Cincinnati.

Degenerate39
10-13-2010, 08:24 AM
The easiest baseball city to please. He'll be there for a while

15fan
10-13-2010, 10:50 AM
The easiest baseball city to please. He'll be there for a while

NL East is a great division to be in. Nationals and Marlins generally can't stop from tripping over themselves. Mets always implode. Leaves just the Braves and Phillies to slug it out for the division title. Runner up has a strong shot at the wild card.

Braves have some good pieces in place. McCann, Prado and Infante in the lineup, Hudson/Hanson/Lowe in the rotation and a handful of good arms in the bullpen.

But they've also got a LOT of questions. There isn't much O in their OF outside of Heyward. Ankiel/McLouth/Cabrera/Diaz made me thank the stars for the Gomes/Stubbs/Heisey/Nix mix the Reds had this year. 1b and 3b were holes all year. Chipper Jones was miserable to start the year. He got it going again for a little while before the injury, but he'll be 39 in the spring and coming off a fairly major knee injury. Can he bounce back and be a legit 25 HR guy?

They desperately need (1) Chipper to come back healthy and productive, (2) Heyward to avoid a sophomore slump (the Francouer career arc is still fresh on a lot of minds around here), and (3) Freddie Freeman to have a debut at 1b in 2011 like Heyward had in 2010.

After that, they need to figure out how to get more sock from the OF bats, whether they really want to give a full season's worth of ABs to Alex Gonzalez (.677 OPS in 267 ABs as a Brave) at SS, and find someone to take over for the retired Billy Wagner at the back of the bullpen.

RedRoser
10-13-2010, 01:00 PM
NL East is a great division to be in. Nationals and Marlins generally can't stop from tripping over themselves. Mets always implode. Leaves just the Braves and Phillies to slug it out for the division title. Runner up has a strong shot at the wild card.

Braves have some good pieces in place. McCann, Prado and Infante in the lineup, Hudson/Hanson/Lowe in the rotation and a handful of good arms in the bullpen.

But they've also got a LOT of questions. There isn't much O in their OF outside of Heyward. Ankiel/McLouth/Cabrera/Diaz made me thank the stars for the Gomes/Stubbs/Heisey/Nix mix the Reds had this year. 1b and 3b were holes all year. Chipper Jones was miserable to start the year. He got it going again for a little while before the injury, but he'll be 39 in the spring and coming off a fairly major knee injury. Can he bounce back and be a legit 25 HR guy?

They desperately need (1) Chipper to come back healthy and productive, (2) Heyward to avoid a sophomore slump (the Francouer career arc is still fresh on a lot of minds around here), and (3) Freddie Freeman to have a debut at 1b in 2011 like Heyward had in 2010.

After that, they need to figure out how to get more sock from the OF bats, whether they really want to give a full season's worth of ABs to Alex Gonzalez (.677 OPS in 267 ABs as a Brave) at SS, and find someone to take over for the retired Billy Wagner at the back of the bullpen.

Well, Cordero would look good in a Braves uniform...:D

bucksfan2
10-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Tim Hudson will be 35 next year and Derrick Lowe will be 38. I think they will have issues in the starting rotation sooner than later.

I don't really know what to expect from Infante and Prado. Both were utility type players who really played well this past season for the Braves. Don't know if they can do that again.

The loss of Chipper will really hurt them (if he still intends to retire). They will have issues at 3b and 1b going into next season.

Finally I don't know what to expect from a Braves team without Cox. I know the manager doesn't really account for much, but when a team loses a long time manager I think the effect is quite a bit more.

blumj
10-13-2010, 02:05 PM
I've thought for a while now that the Braves might try to sign Adrian Beltre, even if they felt moving Chipper to 1st could work, if he doesn't retire.

Raisor
10-14-2010, 12:09 AM
The loss of Chipper will really hurt them (if he still intends to retire). They will have issues at 3b and 1b going into next season.

Don't have the link, but Chipper announced this week that he'll be back next year.