PDA

View Full Version : Game 163 on its way out in expanded playoffs?

10-14-2010, 01:40 AM
http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/10/game-163-on-its-way-out.html

It's about the elimination of tie-breaker game 163.

The one the Twins and Tigers played last year is possibly the best game I've ever seen. I was hoping for the double tiebreaker involving the Braves and the NL West. Leave it alone please.

The Operator
10-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Why is Bud determined to ruin the game of baseball?

When it comes down to making the playoffs or not, that should be decided on the field, NOT by a computer.

You can also count me as against the extra wild card. Just leave well enough alone, Bud. If you want to leave a legacy, bring about increased instant replay.

Brutus
10-14-2010, 01:59 AM
Why is Bud determined to ruin the game of baseball?

When it comes down to making the playoffs or not, that should be decided on the field, NOT by a computer.

You can also count me as against the extra wild card. Just leave well enough alone, Bud. If you want to leave a legacy, bring about increased instant replay.

I actually love this. I feel like they're getting this one right. This puts the emphasis back on winning the division.

Baseball is a long season and after 162 games, I don't think you've got a right to complain if you're left out, especially if it's on account of losing more than winning to a specified team in 12-18 meetings.

I applaud this, if it leads to a Wild Card round.

The Operator
10-14-2010, 02:06 AM
I feel like the emphasis is already on the division, though.

Wild Card teams can't ever have home field advantage, unless it's in the World Series due to Bud's crazy "All Star game is important!" rule. And to win the Wild Card you are fighting against teams from every division in your league, making it also quite tough.

I might be wrong, but I just don't like this.

Brutus
10-14-2010, 03:13 AM
I feel like the emphasis is already on the division, though.

Wild Card teams can't ever have home field advantage, unless it's in the World Series due to Bud's crazy "All Star game is important!" rule. And to win the Wild Card you are fighting against teams from every division in your league, making it also quite tough.

I might be wrong, but I just don't like this.

Is it really, though? Apparently in the LDS, home field is only worth a win about 55% of the time. This year the road team went 11-4.

I don't know that the Yankees really cared much that they were the wild card.

Now, imagine the Yankees having to win a 1-game playoff as one of the two Wild Card teams. Suddenly the fact they didn't beat out Tampa Bay for the divisional title seems to be a bigger deal.

RedsBaron
10-14-2010, 06:44 AM
Doesn't anyone remember the unparalleled drama of the New York Giants radio announcer screaming in 1951 "The Giants win the computer tiebreaker! The Giants win the computer tiebreaker!"? :rolleyes:
A one game playoff to decide who goes on and who stays home is terrific drama. I'm not surprised that Bud Selig wants to eliminate it.
One other thing ticks me off. The Hall of Fame has already been polluted by the induction of Bowie Kuhn. I fully expect that Selig will eventually join Kuhn in the HOF.

PuffyPig
10-14-2010, 07:52 AM
As a fan of a small market team, extra playoff teams is better for us in the long run.

The longer we play meaningful games, the more fun the season is for me.

And it should allow teams way out of contention to get better returns on their deadline deals, as there will be more buyers and less sellers.

Redsfan320
10-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Good Lord Almighty, Bud Selig's a fool! Game 163s are awesome. I watched Tigers-Twins last year from a little hotel room while on vacation in DC (which was awesome, BTW) and the game was one of the funnest I've ever seen. A Twins walkoff in the 12th! OCab homered in that game too, a 2-run shot.

sivman17
10-14-2010, 09:56 AM
It looks like I'm in the minority in that I dislike game 163. I feel like teams play each other enough times during the regular season, why can't you just use the head-to-head record. I've always believed the head-to-head record should be used. Baseball is never decided by 1 game. Playoff series are best of 5 and best of 7. During the regular season you play division teams 15 times or so, and other NL teams like 9 times. Why would you throw away that series and make another game? Doesn't make sense to me.

Besides, the Reds would have gone to the playoffs in 1999 since we had beaten the Mets 5 out of 9 games during the season.

Col_ IN Reds fan
10-14-2010, 10:15 AM
I like the idea of eliminating the 1 game playoff. I also think the season should be cut down a few games and maybe play some day-night doubleheaders.

1) I do not like November baseball.

2) The team with the best record (unless you are a wildcard team) should have home field throughtout the playoffs and World Series).

3) If playoffs are expanded series should be no less the 3 out of 5 for wildcard,then 4 out of 7 for the final 3 rounds.

Chip R
10-14-2010, 10:37 AM
I like the idea of eliminating the 1 game playoff. I also think the season should be cut down a few games and maybe play some day-night doubleheaders.

1) I do not like November baseball.

Neither do I but they bring it on themselves with all the off days during the playoffs. How ridiculous is it when the NLDS wraps up on Monday night and the NLCS doesn't start till Saturday? Unless it's the All Star break, how many times do you have a 4 day break? They play from April to October with an occasional day off for rain or for scheduling and then during the playoffs they have a game, an off day (or 4) then another game.

2) The team with the best record (unless you are a wildcard team) should have home field throughtout the playoffs and World Series).

I'm with you but tell that to Bud.

3) If playoffs are expanded series should be no less the 3 out of 5 for wildcard,then 4 out of 7 for the final 3 rounds.

I'm with you there too but if you are going to have a wild card playoff, it should be the same length as the divisional series.

westofyou
10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
How ridiculous is it when the NLDS wraps up on Monday night and the NLCS doesn't start till Saturday?
Patently.

Baseball should tell the networks to A. Bite it and B. Bite it harder.

Also remove the games off TBS, it's the equivalent of Versus. Take less cash and gain more visibility on the networks.

Danny Serafini
10-14-2010, 11:04 AM
What's with this talk about deciding things on a computer? It's not that difficult to count the number of wins one team has against another. I can do that math on my fingers.

And I don't get the hand wringing over losing all the drama of game 163. With a one game playoff between wild cards you're getting that exact same one shot, lose and go home drama you get in game 163. The only difference is that you're guaranteed a pair of them every year instead of maybe stumbling into one that season.

bucksfan2
10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Patently.

Baseball should tell the networks to A. Bite it and B. Bite it harder.

Also remove the games off TBS, it's the equivalent of Versus. Take less cash and gain more visibility on the networks.

Baseball should tell the networks to bite it. I agree but then again the playoffs are on TBS. If they tell TBS to bite it whats next the playoffs are on WE?

I hate the set schedule that doesn't allow for flexibility. If the divisional series ends in 4 and 5 games, no way should we have to wait until the series were originally scheduled to finish.

Chip R
10-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Baseball should tell the networks to bite it. I agree but then again the playoffs are on TBS. If they tell TBS to bite it whats next the playoffs are on WE?

I hate the set schedule that doesn't allow for flexibility. If the divisional series ends in 4 and 5 games, no way should we have to wait until the series were originally scheduled to finish.

There's always MLB Network or ESPN or even Fox. It couldn't have done any worse than Lone Star.

Flexibility's one thing but they are taking it to NBA levels. Did there need to be an off day between Game 1 and Game 2 of the Reds-Phils series? And did it really need to start on Thursday? They could have scheduled the NLCS to start on Wednesday.

bucksfan2
10-14-2010, 12:56 PM
There's always MLB Network or ESPN or even Fox. It couldn't have done any worse than Lone Star.

MLB Network is an option but it wouldn't make much sense. Can you really bid on yourself? I mean MLB owns MLB network so they wouldn't get any cash for broadcasting the games.

ESPN would make sense, but it seems as if they just don't want to pay the price. FWIW I think MLB postseason baseball should be on network TV. Believe it or not there are people today who still don't have cable.

Flexibility's one thing but they are taking it to NBA levels. Did there need to be an off day between Game 1 and Game 2 of the Reds-Phils series? And did it really need to start on Thursday? They could have scheduled the NLCS to start on Wednesday.

:thumbup:

Reds Fanatic
10-14-2010, 01:18 PM
MLB Network is an option but it wouldn't make much sense. Can you really bid on yourself? I mean MLB owns MLB network so they wouldn't get any cash for broadcasting the games.

ESPN would make sense, but it seems as if they just don't want to pay the price. FWIW I think MLB postseason baseball should be on network TV. Believe it or not there are people today who still don't have cable.

:thumbup:

Sports in general are moving more toward cable. The networks just don't want to spend what they once did on sports or they don't want to prempt their regular programming with sports.

The MLB playoffs are half on cable. Starting this year all the BCS bowl games will all be on ESPN and the NCAA tournament will only partially be on network as TBS, TNT and TruTv will all broadcast games from now on.

Razor Shines
10-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Is it really, though? Apparently in the LDS, home field is only worth a win about 55% of the time. This year the road team went 11-4.

I don't know that the Yankees really cared much that they were the wild card.

Now, imagine the Yankees having to win a 1-game playoff as one of the two Wild Card teams. Suddenly the fact they didn't beat out Tampa Bay for the divisional title seems to be a bigger deal.

I agree. I think it does put a much bigger emphasis on winning the division and that is a very good thing. You are right the Yankees really didn't mind that much being the wild card this year. They would have fought much harder to win that division under the system being discussed.

Chip R
10-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Sure they could. Turner Broadcasting used to own TBS and the Braves and the Braves didn't have any financial problems when they started getting good. The Yankees and YES have a similar arrangement and it hasn't stopped the Yankees from having a payroll above and beyond other teams. The money is made through advertising.

They wouldn't do it for free nor should they. They probably made a decent offer but TBS topped them. They see it as a vehicle to promote stuff like George Lopez or Conan or Frank Caliendo. ESPN would run into a problem on Saturdays and Monday nights when football is on. But there's always ESPN2 or ESPN News or ESPN Classic.

Except for the LDS, the postseason is on network TV. Fox could show the games. They don't have much on their prime time schedule that couldn't be interrupted.

Chip R
10-14-2010, 02:31 PM
I hate to keep harping on this but I believe MLB shoots itself in the foot when you go almost a week during the middle of October between series. There's 3 days in the middle of the week without any baseball whatsoever. 4 if you count Friday during the day. Out of sight out of mind.

westofyou
10-14-2010, 02:39 PM
I hate to keep harping on this but I believe MLB shoots itself in the foot when you go almost a week during the middle of October between series. There's 3 days in the middle of the week without any baseball whatsoever. 4 if you count Friday during the day. Out of sight out of mind.

It's stupid, it's programing from the mini series era.

Time to tighten it up and make the whole pitching staff participate.

Cedric
10-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I must be the odd sports fan who doesn't think the regular season in sports needs to be watered down anymore.

The NHL/NBA/NFL are all "playoff" sports in my opinion. The NFL just gets enough regular season ratings because of the small amount of games and fantasy/betting.

Hoosier Red
10-14-2010, 03:43 PM
I must be the odd sports fan who doesn't think the regular season in sports needs to be watered down anymore.

The NHL/NBA/NFL are all "playoff" sports in my opinion. The NFL just gets enough regular season ratings because of the small amount of games and fantasy/betting.

The thinking here is though that adding 1 more wild card team would mean the regular season is less watered down which I tend to agree with.

Two wildcards means you have to spend additional energy just to get into a series against a division winner. When the wildcard wins as much as they have, it takes a lot of the incentive out from having to win your division.

Redsfan320
10-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Just for a practical example, the teams that would've made the playoffs this year with 2 more wildcards/league:

NLE: Phillies
NLC: Reds
NLW: Giants
NLWC1: Braves
NLWC2: Padres
NLWC3: Cardinals

ALE: Rays
ALC: Twins
ALW: Rangers
ALWC1: Yankees
ALWC2: Red Sox
ALWC3: White Sox

oneupper
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Just for a practical example, the teams that would've made the playoffs this year with 2 more wildcards/league:

NLE: Phillies
NLC: Reds
NLW: Giants
NLWC1: Braves
NLWC2: Padres
NLWC3: Cardinals

ALE: Rays
ALC: Twins
ALW: Rangers
ALWC1: Yankees
ALWC2: Red Sox
ALWC3: White Sox

I think the Idea is one less, so the Cards and Chisox would be out.
RedSox-Yanks and the Pads-Braves in the play-ins.
I don't like it either way.

KoryMac5
10-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I am a fan of this as I think it would make each team play like heck to win the division instead of coasting to the finish line resting players. I think that if they do this they will need to tighten the schedule up a bit during the playoffs so that the season doesn't go into late November.

M2
10-14-2010, 10:49 PM
The gaps between the playoff rounds are preposterous. I'm starting to lose my Halladay-Lincecum buzz before it's even happened.

Yet I kind of like the wild card play-in idea. As Mr. Serafini noted, you'd get two do-or-die games every season. I think they still ought to have a play-in for division leader ties, but the one-game format would put the "wild" into the wild card.

pedro
10-14-2010, 11:33 PM

It's absurd. Completely takes the momentum out of the playoffs.

Reds Fanatic
10-15-2010, 09:45 AM
The problem with the days off between series is going to happen as long as MLB lets the networks dictate what days certain series will start. The problem is getting a network like Fox to be flexible with their scheduling. The problem is they set up these scheudules months in advance where each network knows exactly what days they are scheduled to show games. I don't think you will ever find a network willling to be that flexible to let baseball shift around the schedule due to some series ending early.

bucksfan2
10-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Not only are the gaps in play a bad idea, but now the first handful of games are going up against college football and the NFL. While baseball purist may not care, the vast majority of sports fans are going to be watching prime time college football as opposed to baseball games.

Hoosier Red
10-15-2010, 10:04 AM
They wouldn't even have to be "that flexible" The ALDS ended on Tuesday in a game 5, Start Game one of the ALCS on a Thursday. The NLDS could have gone to Wednesday if the Braves had won on Monday night. Start that on a Friday.

If they had done that this year, there would have only been one day(Wednesday) without baseball, and if the Braves had won, you would have had 0 days without baseball. I think that's the key to winning the October battle, make sure there's a game every day to keep people's attention.

bucksfan2
10-18-2010, 01:37 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/nfl-clobbers-baseball-in-head-to-head-ratings-on-sunday-night/1

The NFL's Colts-Redskins game on Sunday night registered more than double the TV viewership of the Giants-Phillies NLCS game broadcast at the same time.

NBC scored a 13.2 overnight rating for its broadcast of the Colts' 27-24 win in Washington. Fox drew a 6.5 rating for the Phillies' win against the Giants that evened the series at 1-1.

It was the best national primetime rating for an NFL game that opposed a MLB LCS game since 1997.

From the USA Today. Not meant to be a "football is better" or anything along those lines. Just more of a "don't do it" to MLB. Don't go up against the NFL on Sundays during the baseball playoffs. Just take the day off and schedule around that Sunday.

westofyou
10-18-2010, 01:45 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/10/nfl-clobbers-baseball-in-head-to-head-ratings-on-sunday-night/1

From the USA Today. Not meant to be a "football is better" or anything along those lines. Just more of a "don't do it" to MLB. Don't go up against the NFL on Sundays during the baseball playoffs. Just take the day off and schedule around that Sunday.

But then there'd be an article about Monday night football on Tuesday morning.

We've heard, don't go up against College FB, Don't go up against Sunday FB, Don't go up against Monday night... We'd probably hear don't do it Friday night because of HS FB.

How about forget about what football is doing and take care of your own house?

There is enough sports for everyone, you don't have to be the homecoming queen to have fun at the dance.

Just play the games.

Brutus
10-18-2010, 01:50 PM

We've heard, don't go up against College FB, Don't go up against Sunday FB, Don't go up against Monday night... We'd probably hear don't do it Friday night because of HS FB.

There is enough sports for everyone, you don't have to be the homecoming queen to have fun at the dance.

Just play the games.

Times'd two

REDREAD
10-18-2010, 03:58 PM

Yes, I agree. I actually forgot to watch the Phils-Giants opener, due to the time gap.

Chip R
10-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Just play the games.

Yep. It's always going to be something. It would be nice if the playoffs had better ratings than football but you take what you can get. People complain about their kids not being able to stay up and watch the games because they start so late but then when they are on the weekend afternoons, they say that they shouldn't go against football.

Getting abck to the original point, I'm confused why people want to stigmatize wild card teams. I don't like the wild card but sometimes, the wild card winners are better than the division champions. So why punish them with a one and done or a 2 out of 3 matchup when the divsional winners get a 3 of 5 matchup? If you get in the playoffs, aside from not getting home field advantage, you should have as much of an opportunity as anyone.