PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Reds History (10/17/10): Past Lineups--1990 World Series

Big Klu
10-17-2010, 02:19 PM
20 years ago (1990), a 5-4 10-inning win in Game 2 of the World Series at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Athletics.

Oakland
Rickey Henderson lf
Carney Lansford 3b
Jose Canseco rf
Mark McGwire 1b
Dave Henderson cf
Willie Randolph 2b
Ron Hassey c
Mike Gallego ss
Bob Welch p

Cincinnati
Barry Larkin ss
Billy Hatcher cf
Paul O'Neill rf
Eric Davis lf
Hal Morris 1b
Chris Sabo 3b
Joe Oliver c
Mariano Duncan 2b
Danny Jackson p

WP: Rob Dibble (1-0)
LP: Dennis Eckersley (0-1)
HR: OAK - Jose Canseco (1).

Scott Scudder, Jack Armstrong, Norm Charlton, and Rob Dibble combined for 7.1 innings of four-hit shutout relief as the Reds mounted a comeback which culminated in a dramatic come-from-behind win in the tenth inning. With one out in the bottom of the tenth, pinch-hitter Billy Bates (who was on the postseason roster only because Bill Doran was unavailable due to injury) appeared completely overmatched against A's ace closer Dennis Eckersley. But on an 0-2 pitch Bates dribbled a high chopper off the Astroturf to the left of the mound and beat out the play for an infield single. Chris Sabo then hit a hard grounder through the left side of the infield for a base hit, advancing the speedy Bates to second. Joe Oliver then delivered Game 2's most memoriable moment, lining a single down the third-base line and scoring Bates with the game-winning run, giving the Reds a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven Series. Bates and longtime Reds veteran infielder Ron Oester each made their final major-league appearance in this game. Billy Hatcher was 4-for-4 with two doubles and a triple in the game. Through two games, Hatcher was 7-for-7 with four doubles, a triple, and two walks for a line of 1.000/1.000/1.857/2.857! That's right--a 2.857 OPS!

TheNext44
10-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Easily the greatest game I have ever been to. I still feel a wave of happiness whenever I think back to that game.

Thanks!