PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Market For Shortstops

savafan
10-17-2010, 08:37 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/10/free-agent-market-for-shortstops.html

OnBaseMachine
10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
I would love to see the Reds acquire J.J. Hardy. He's an above average defensive shortstop and has a career .746 OPS, though it's tailed off the last two years. Get him out of Target Field and into the smaller GABP and he would probably hit 15-20 homers and OPS .750. He could probably be had for a reasonable price too...

reds44
10-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Anybody know what the defensive metrics say about Uribe? I could see GABP giving his power numbers a huge spike.

Mario-Rijo
10-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Bartlett is the one I'd like to see sought after. He is a potential top of the lineup guy even though this past season wasn't a good one and by far the best defender of the bunch. I'm guessing the Reds would rather retain OCab than trade for Bartlett and his additional 2 mill but if we were to go after one he'd be my target.

Brutus
10-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I had a dream last night the Reds signed Uribe. Don't ask me why. I don't even know why I'd dream about such a thing. Random, I realize, but thought I'd pass that along.

RedsManRick
10-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Uribe is around average defensively. Personally, I have no interest in the Reds signing a free agent with a .300 career OBP -- though I'd take Uribe over Cabrera.

Superdude
10-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Hardy sounds interesting. Pretty impressive between '07 and '08. Not sure why his numbers have been down the past few years, but he seems way too young to be tailing off like that.

mth123
10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I'd be ok with Hardy or Uribe on a reasonable deal, but with Cozart and Janish, I'd be happy with a third option who can hit LH and maybe play a little 2B and 3B added to the mix. I and many others have floated Reid Brignac's name before (and I still like that idea) but the Red Sox may have an extra SS lying around. Marco Scutaro is in the last year of a two year deal at $5 Million and after finally getting healthy Jed Lowrie put up a line of .287/.381/.526/.907 in 197 PAs. Lowrie can play SS, and spot at 2B and 3B, hits lefty and would seem to be obtainable. Not sure if the Reds match-up with the Sox needs and they probably would be more likely to deal Scutaro, but Boston may be a place to look.

Johnny Footstool
10-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Uribe would be a good option for 2 years/$4 million per year if the Reds decided to bring in a free agent.

Hardy would probably be worth a 3 year deal at $3 million per year.

savafan
10-17-2010, 10:27 PM
What about a Janish/Omar Vizquel platoon?

Joseph
10-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I'd rather go in with Janish as the guy next year, spend the money on a bat for LF.

Jpup
10-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Janish/Renteria?

Ron Madden
10-18-2010, 12:29 AM
I'd rather go in with Janish as the guy next year, spend the money on a bat for LF.

Ditto.

WebScorpion
10-18-2010, 03:47 AM
We just need a decent backup in case he misses any time. I guess we could lean on Valaika, but I wouldn't want him in there for any long stretches. I don't think Cozart is quite ready, so I'd like to see them pick up a backup somewhere.

I agree that the spot with the most potential for improvement through FA is left Field.

lollipopcurve
10-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Unless it's a significant upgrade, like Stephen Drew, let Janish and Cozart compete in ST. The team is going to have to continue to try to develop players from within, and SS is a spot where they can do that in 2011 -- if the choice is between the homegrown guy and a middling vet on a short-term deal.

The idea is that if the homegrown guy proves to be a player, you've got a budget-friendly solution for a few years. Not the kind of thing you want to be doing at multiple positions every year, but one spot a year, if the system has produced the possibility, is a healthy approach for an organization like the Reds. Last year was CF. They showed patience with Stubbs, and now look -- they don't have to worry about it for a while. It won't always work, but they have to try nonetheless.

_Sir_Charles_
10-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Same here. Cozart & Valaika can back up Janish if need be. Paul's been the "next" shortstop for about 3 years now and every year he's gotten bumped at the last minute it seems. Time to give Paul a full season shot IMO.

Hap
10-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Paul Janish is defensively equal to or better than anyone available from that list.

He could possibly bat one for four from the eight hole and/or could possibly stand in the two hole and occasionally lay down a sac bunt or be on base when Votto doubles or homers.

traderumor
10-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I have no problem with Paul Janish hitting 8th and playing SS as the regular. Bring up Cozart in the second half after letting him play every day in AAA and performing well the 1st half. Valaika would be a viable backup for the 1st half. I liked Valaika at the plate in his limited time, but he sure plays slow in the field.

Caveat Emperor
10-18-2010, 12:58 PM

I agree. If the team is looking for a solution at SS, the best thing to do is deal from their position of strength (SP)to acquire one.

This is a problem that money alone isn't going to solve.

Griffey012
10-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Either we go big or go home with a SS this off-season. Which means either we package a trade together for an above average SS, or with go with Janish and Cozart or Janish and a servicable cheap backup.

I don't see a point in signing another Cabrera like stop-gap.

Will M
10-18-2010, 04:59 PM
IMO next years shortstop should either be Janish/Cozart or someone acquired in a trade. i agree with most folks who think this group of free agents is rather pedestrian. don't waste money on a guy who may be no better than what we have in house. save the cash for a stud left fielder or upgrading one of our pitchers into an ace (hopefully both). Janish/Cozart should be fine in the #8 spot in the order if we could get a big bat for the #4 spot.

sivman17
10-18-2010, 06:49 PM
I will echo what some others have said in that I believe Janish should go into spring training as the starting SS. Allow Cozart and Valaika to battle it out for the backup job. I just don't see the Reds pulling in a big-time SS this off-season. I think we all agree that Janish plays a great SS, and although he isn't the best hitter, he's not all that worse than Cabrera at the plate.

I believe LF is a much bigger issue than SS.

Will M
10-18-2010, 09:41 PM
I had a dream last night the Reds signed Uribe. Don't ask me why. I don't even know why I'd dream about such a thing. Random, I realize, but thought I'd pass that along.

You fear (likely both consciously & unconsciously) that the Reds will do something stupid this offseason. Uribe represents your fear that the Reds will waste money on the shortstop position rather than fix the position to your liking. You have looked at the SS options & something about Uribe says "Oh please no!". This thought may be repressed or simply be a weak thought that gets drowned out in all the other stimuli you receive while awake. But when you sleep out pops Mr Uribe into your dreams.

Brutus
10-18-2010, 10:00 PM
You fear (likely both consciously & unconsciously) that the Reds will do something stupid this offseason. Uribe represents your fear that the Reds will waste money on the shortstop position rather than fix the position to your liking. You have looked at the SS options & something about Uribe says "Oh please no!". This thought may be repressed or simply be a weak thought that gets drowned out in all the other stimuli you receive while awake. But when you sleep out pops Mr Uribe into your dreams.

LOL. Well at least that was much cheaper than going to one of those freaky guys that analyzes dreams and telling you that your dream of sexual relations with your sister is really a cry for attention from females or something.

On Uribe...I actually wouldn't mind him. He's been a 3-WAR SS for the past two seasons. Low OBP, but good power and solid defensive player. By comparison, if you add Janish & Cabrera together each of the past two years, they're only 2-win players.

If Uribe can put up another 3 WAR as the Reds' starting SS, that's an upgrade for me. When I dreamt it, I had neither a positive nor negative reaction. But in my post-dream analysis, I suppose I would be OK with his addition.

Will M
10-18-2010, 11:10 PM
LOL. Well at least that was much cheaper than going to one of those freaky guys that analyzes dreams and telling you that your dream of sexual relations with your sister is really a cry for attention from females or something.

On Uribe...I actually wouldn't mind him. He's been a 3-WAR SS for the past two seasons. Low OBP, but good power and solid defensive player. By comparison, if you add Janish & Cabrera together each of the past two years, they're only 2-win players.

If Uribe can put up another 3 WAR as the Reds' starting SS, that's an upgrade for me. When I dreamt it, I had neither a positive nor negative reaction. But in my post-dream analysis, I suppose I would be OK with his addition.

For me it comes down to the Reds budget. Signing a guy like Uribe to give Cozart another 1/2 a season at AAA seems like an ok idea. Same logic for bringing back Ramon - give Mes a 1/2 a season in AAA. What I find troublesome about this line of thinking is that the Reds don't have endless money. Some compromises have to be made somewhere. $3M here & $3M there, pretty soon we run out of cash & have a replacement level guy in left getting 450 ABs. LF & SS seem to be the two spots we could upgrade. Since I doubt we'll swing a deal for Hanley Ramirez it seems like LF is where we will have to get a bat. For me the #1 offseason goal has to be getting a solid bat for LF. While I doubt this is Crawford or Werth, I expect a trade for a guy who makes a little cash. Once that deal is in place Walt can see how much money he has left for SS, backup 3B, LH setup man or even the much discussed deal for a true #1 starter.

Now, if we were a bigger market club Walt could get the bat for left, upgrade the rotation & still have money left to sign solid vets like Ramon or Uribe.
Everyone has been frustrated for 15 years because we haven't made the playoffs. I suspect we'll soon start to get frustrated by getting beat in the postseason by teams with much bigger payrolls than ours. Is it worse to be a Pirates fan (no hope) or a Twins fans (make the postseason then get spanked)? We may soon find out. Now, what I really hope is that the winning 2010 season sparks good ticket sales for 2011, Bob ups the payroll a bit, the Reds can afford that one extra good player & we win the big it all.

Ron Madden
10-19-2010, 03:59 AM
Well said Will.

buckeyenut
10-19-2010, 11:00 AM
My FA target is Reyes. short of him, I want to run with Janish and upgrade LF. I do not want gomes starting if LF though. He needs to be bat off bench, no more.

bucksfan2
10-19-2010, 11:22 AM
My FA target is Reyes. short of him, I want to run with Janish and upgrade LF. I do not want gomes starting if LF though. He needs to be bat off bench, no more.

I want nothing to do with Reyes. Guy has always come off as a clubhouse cancer to me and he can't stay on the field.

Johnny Footstool
10-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Reyes' injuries have deprived him of his biggest weapon: speed. Without that, he's not worth much.