PDA

View Full Version : Cody Ross

WVRedsFan
10-18-2010, 12:19 AM
My memory is failing me. Why did the Reds give him away? Everytime I've seen him with either Florida or SF, he's been more than adequate and is a good hitter (well, decent). Just curious. I remember there was a lot of talk on here about Krivsky giving him away, but I do not know the details.

The Operator
10-18-2010, 12:50 AM
I think The Reds needed a roster spot and he was the casualty.

There certainly were some odd moves made during the Krivsky era.

reds44
10-18-2010, 01:02 AM
He was acquired for nothing (much like David Ross and Brandon Phillips) and in his first AB as a Red got drilled by a pitch in the wrist. He went on the DL and had a max rehab in stint, and there was "no room" for him on the roster when he came back, so we dealt him.

mth123
10-18-2010, 02:31 AM
He was acquired for nothing (much like David Ross and Brandon Phillips) and in his first AB as a Red got drilled by a pitch in the wrist. He went on the DL and had a max rehab in stint, and there was "no room" for him on the roster when he came back, so we dealt him.

That is all correct, but the galling part is that the Reds chose to hold on to "veteran presence" Quentin McCracken while letting Ross go.

edabbs44
10-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Wasn't the reason given along the lines of "He would have more of an opportunity elsewhere"? I thought it was pitched as WK doing him a favor.

RedFanAlways1966
10-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Good to see Cody Ross get some pub. However, before the banter starts (hasn't yet), let us remember that Cody Ross was fodder at the time he wore a REDS uniform. 25 yrs-old at the time and not in demand by any team. The kind of guy who is the last man on a 25-man roster and is expendable at anytime.

Unfortunately 5'8" (he is listed at 5'11", but I ain't buying) OFs are not given much chance. Not fair, but just how it is. Also was hitting a robust .211 for his short career (360 ABs) when the REDS obtained him. The REDS got him from the Dodgers for nothing (Ben Kozlowski). They gave him to Florida for nothing (small amount of $$). IIRC they gave him away to the Marlins to give him a chance to play (they did Cody a favor!).

Am I remembering right... didn't Cody Ross get injured in his 5th AB with the REDS while getting HBP during a swing of the bat for strike three? Did it break his pinkie finger?

marcshoe
10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I thought he was fodder at the time and didn't care. Seems I was wrong about that. iirc, he'd had some good games for the Dodgers early in the year, but they didn't have a spot for him and considered his performance a fluke as well, so the Reds weren't alone.

I'll have to look up the timeline and see if this happened as quickly as I remember.

bucksfan2
10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
I thought he was fodder at the time and didn't care. Seems I was wrong about that. iirc, he'd had some good games for the Dodgers early in the year, but they didn't have a spot for him and considered his performance a fluke as well, so the Reds weren't alone.

I'll have to look up the timeline and see if this happened as quickly as I remember.

He absolutely was fodder. John Fay tweeted that during Ross time as a Red he was involved in more transactions (5) than games played (2). Ross wasn't going to get playing time in Cincy and he had used up all his options. He was traded (sold) to the Marlins who gave him a chance to play every day.

traderumor
10-18-2010, 12:43 PM
All I expect to happen with Cody Ross is for someone to overpay him for NLCS memories. He's an average OFer who was justifiably waived by the Marlins and the Giants tried and caught lightning in a bottle. Now, some doofus GM will give him millions for being a clutch player.

Far East
10-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I loved the way he backed up Sunday's first inning throw from 3B that trickled away from the Giants' first baseman; at the time it kept the Phils' lead at 1-0 instead of a possible 2-0 if Utley had continued around third and scored.

You expect the RFer to be in that spot on a throw from catcher to
1B, but this was from 3B (and toward the homeplate side of the bag) and not a play to save the game in the ninth -- it was the 1st inning. Many RFers would have been spectators on that play.

Dom Heffner
10-18-2010, 07:41 PM
All I expect to happen with Cody Ross is for someone to overpay him for NLCS memories. He's an average OFer who was justifiably waived by the Marlins and the Giants tried and caught lightning in a bottle. Now, some doofus GM will give him millions for being a clutch player.

Thank you!

He's such an awesome player he was hitting in the 8th hole for the Giants who got himm off waivers from the Marlins.

Brutus
10-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Ross had one and a half real good seasons. But his career OPS is .788 (Gomes is .790 if people want any context). Now, he's a solid defender. All-in-all he's about a 2-win player for his position, which is still very solid.

If I'm talking about 2011, he would be an upgrade for the Reds because of defense. But is a guy with a .788 OPS and only slightly above average defensive skills worth losing sleep over? Probably not.

WebScorpion
10-20-2010, 08:19 PM
He's always been one of those guys who doesn't have much talent but manages to squeeze every ounce of performance out of the little he's been given. You always root for him, but he'll never be a major force in the game. If you build a solid team, he's a great guy to have in between your superstars. He works hard and does all the little things right. It's good to see him have a bit of success. :thumbup:

top6
10-20-2010, 08:38 PM
He's a below average, probably fringe major league starter, who happens to be on a hot streak at the best possible time. And he seems like a good guy who is humble and having the time of his life.

Why anyone except Phillies fans would be anything but thrilled for him, I'm not sure.

REDblooded
10-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Good to see Cody Ross get some pub. However, before the banter starts (hasn't yet), let us remember that Cody Ross was fodder at the time he wore a REDS uniform. 25 yrs-old at the time and not in demand by any team. The kind of guy who is the last man on a 25-man roster and is expendable at anytime.

Unfortunately 5'8" (he is listed at 5'11", but I ain't buying) OFs are not given much chance. Not fair, but just how it is. Also was hitting a robust .211 for his short career (360 ABs) when the REDS obtained him. The REDS got him from the Dodgers for nothing (Ben Kozlowski). They gave him to Florida for nothing (small amount of $$). IIRC they gave him away to the Marlins to give him a chance to play (they did Cody a favor!).

Am I remembering right... didn't Cody Ross get injured in his 5th AB with the REDS while getting HBP during a swing of the bat for strike three? Did it break his pinkie finger?

This being true, couldn't Cody at least remember it, and quit killing the Reds? I swear, he's a better Bill Hall.

camisadelgolf
10-22-2010, 04:58 PM
That is all correct, but the galling part is that the Reds chose to hold on to "veteran presence" Quentin McCracken while letting Ross go.
I'm not defending holding on to McCracken--I hated the acquisition from the start--but to be fair, the Reds were overloaded on outfielders (Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, Freel, Denorfia), and if you're going to choose between a crappy veteran with a good clubhouse presence or a crappy young guy without much ceiling (and let's face it--Cody Ross is no better than average for his career and was much worse than that up unto his sting with the Reds), going with the clubhouse presence is often the best way to go.

mth123
10-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm not defending holding on to McCracken--I hated the acquisition from the start--but to be fair, the Reds were overloaded on outfielders (Dunn, Griffey, Kearns, Freel, Denorfia), and if you're going to choose between a crappy veteran with a good clubhouse presence or a crappy young guy without much ceiling (and let's face it--Cody Ross is no better than average for his career and was much worse than that up unto his sting with the Reds), going with the clubhouse presence is often the best way to go.

Those reds were a team in need of acquiring young cheap talents for the future. Deno was in AAA and didn't come-up until Kearns was dealt. Ross was a guy to stash somehow. I keep reading how limited he is, but pretty much every year since the Reds cut him, he's been better than at least one of the team's starting outfielders. Playing in pitcher friendly environments in 2007 thru 2009 he put up OPS numbers of 1.064, .804 and .790. He would've, could've been a four year starter or a guy with market value to include in a deal as younger guys started to arrive. Quentin McCracken offered nothing in the way of building the team either as a player or a chip.

RedsManRick
10-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Ross is a nice little league average player. He's precisely the kind of guy who tends to be a bargain for a few years and then overpaid for a while. If he's on your team, he's the kind of guy who you use while you can get surplus value and then you let him walk.

Or if you're the Reds, you sign retread veterans for a few million bucks to give you the same amount of production, hide on him on the bench for a few years because he's not a stud, and then give him away for nothing when a roster crunch arises.

Blitz Dorsey
10-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Ross is a nice little league average player. He's precisely the kind of guy who tends to be a bargain for a few years and then overpaid for a while. If he's on your team, he's the kind of guy who you use while you can get surplus value and then you let him walk.

Or if you're the Reds, you sign retread veterans for a few million bucks to give you the same amount of production, hide on him on the bench for a few years because he's not a stud, and then give him away for nothing when a roster crunch arises.

Are you saying he would absolutely tear it up in Williamsport, Pa? :D

jojo
10-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Ross has nose-bleed platoon splits being emasculated by righties, overall he's got below average on base skills, he strikes out alot, has power that's trending down, and he's basically a neutral defending corner outfielder.

He's a compromise probably best used as a platoon player/bench guy. He'd be a upgrade over Gomes who largely would fill the exact same role on a team.

Unassisted
10-24-2010, 03:20 PM
He was named MVP for the NLCS. Josh Hamilton was the MVP for the ALCS. I don't regret either of the moves that caused them to be former Reds, but the irony for Reds fans is thick. :eek:

edabbs44
10-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Are you saying he would absolutely tear it up in Williamsport, Pa? :D

No, can't you read? He is little league average. He'd be hitting 7th get blown away by Chinese Taipei.

:)