PDA

View Full Version : How do you explain Cliff Lee?

New York Red
10-19-2010, 12:06 AM
I've been watching the game and following the game thread on ORG tonight (wish I could post there ... haha). Anyway ... Cliff Lee did it again tonight. The guy is unbeatable in the postseason. He's had two notable seasons in his career - two bigtime seasons - and been barely an average pitcher otherwise. His career regular season stats compare favorably to Denny "Ding Dong" Neagle. But once he gets to the playoffs, Cliff Lee is amazing. Barely hittable.

Am I the only SunDecker impressed? Or watching? :eek:

10-19-2010, 12:15 AM
He's been this impressive for the last three seasons. He really turned it around after being sent down to the minors in 07.

He does it by throwing any pitch he wants for strikes at anytime. He walked 18 batters in the regular season this year. That less than how many homers most starters give up in a season. Beyond impressive.

New York Red
10-19-2010, 12:20 AM
He's been this impressive for the last three seasons. He really turned it around after being sent down to the minors in 07.

He does it by throwing any pitch he wants for strikes at anytime. He walked 18 batters in the regular season this year. That less than how many homers most starters give up in a season. Beyond impressive.
I understand that, but the guy becomes another pitcher once the playoffs begin. You can see it in his face. If he takes the hill again this series, he'll win again. And if the Rangers reach the WS, Lee will probably win two more. The Hamliton/Lee combo looks unbeatable right now.

R_Webb18
10-19-2010, 12:53 AM
i thought i heard t wood is friends with him. hopefully he becomes him :)

NeilHamburger
10-19-2010, 01:00 AM
Wood really reminds me of Lee. He doesn't have that awesome breaking ball yet but if there was one pitcher I'd compare him to it would be Lee. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he'll end up being Cy Young caliber like Lee, but that would be his absolute highest peak potential.

In all probability he'll far somewhere a little short.

10-19-2010, 03:37 AM
Make up and smarts define an Ace as much as stuff. So I actually could see Wood becoming an Ace at some point. Him and Leake. Maybe even more than Cueto, Bailey or Volquez.

mlh1981
10-19-2010, 07:46 AM
As was said last night, it's like he has the ball on a string, and can put it where he pleases.

Hope he doesn't end up in pinstripes.

Stray
10-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Make up and smarts define an Ace as much as stuff. So I actually could see Wood becoming an Ace at some point. Him and Leake. Maybe even more than Cueto, Bailey or Volquez.

I agree with this. I'm not saying we have Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine growing up on our team or anything, but those Braves teams dominated with those two and neither had the traditional overpowering stuff.

I'm not sold on Leake just yet...I dunno if he wore down, or if hitters figured him out. Probably a combination of both, but I do expect a very good year from Wood in 2011.

bounty37h
10-19-2010, 10:22 AM

I strongly agree with this, and thats why I dont think the last 3 will ever be a true ace, they may have the stuff on occasion, but dont have the mental makeup to harness it, esp when things get rough. Kinda of Zambrano-like, when they are on they are among the best, but once rattled they crumble.

arkimadee
10-19-2010, 04:16 PM
if we could have only pulled a trade for this guy :(

10-19-2010, 05:40 PM

Well, it's not like the Reds didn't try. Maybe if they had drafted Smoak instead of Alonso back in 2008?

Krawhitham
10-20-2010, 07:23 AM

Yeah he would have pitched game one VS a no hitter

Volquez gets blowed up in game 2 instead on game 1 (so glad we trade that Josh guy away for him)

Game 3 the Reds blow due to errors

Reds still get swept

1990REDS
10-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah he would have pitched game one VS a no hitter

Volquez gets blowed up in game 2 instead on game 1 (so glad we trade that Josh guy away for him)

Game 3 the Reds blow due to errors

Reds still get swept

Yes but having Lee may have won us a couple more regular season games and then we would have gotten Atlanta with home field advantage.

Hey Meat
10-20-2010, 12:13 PM
He has the Crisco ball, look at his hat. Not really, but whatever it is he is awesome. Fun to watch.