PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Reds History (10/20/10): Past Lineups--1990 World Series

Big Klu
10-20-2010, 06:31 PM
20 years ago (1990), a 2-1 win in Game 4 of the World Series at Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum.

Cincinnati
Barry Larkin ss
Billy Hatcher cf
Paul O'Neill rf
Eric Davis lf
Hal Morris dh
Chris Sabo 3b
Todd Benzinger 1b
Joe Oliver c
Mariano Duncan 2b

Jose Rijo p

Oakland
Rickey Henderson lf
Willie McGee rf
Dave Henderson cf
Harold Baines dh
Carney Lansford 3b
Jamie Quirk c
Mark McGwire 1b
Willie Randolph 2b
Mike Gallego ss

Dave Stewart p

WP: Jose Rijo (2-0)
LP: Dave Stewart (0-2)
Sv: Randy Myers (1)
HR: None.

"Benzinger backing and calling…and the 1990 World Championship belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!" With those words by Marty Brennaman, the Reds completed a 4-0 sweep in the best-of-seven Series and clinched their fifth World Championship, and their first since 1976. Jose Rijo and Randy Myers combined on a two-hitter for the Reds, allowing only a one-out double by Willie McGee in the first inning, and a two-out RBI single by Carney Lansford in the first. Reds LF Eric Davis suffered a lacerated kidney on the double by McGee, but finished the inning before being lifted for pinch-hitter Glenn Braggs in the second inning. Billy Hatcher was hit by a pitch in the first inning and was replaced in CF by Herm Winningham in the second. Hatcher finished the Series with the following line:

.750/.800/1.250/2.050

cumberlandreds
10-21-2010, 08:22 AM
It was a good thing the Reds finished off the A's that night. With all the injuries the Reds had they may have been hard pressed to win another game. This had to be one the most improbable World Series sweep in history. I really didn't believe the Reds could win the series until their victory in game 3. It was really remarkable how they seized the momentum from game 1 and took it from there. I can remember talking to a cousin of mine,who is a big Reds fan,saying we had better enjoy this one because it may be a long time before we see another World Series champion from Cincinnati. How right he was. It's been 20 years and counting. I hope to see one more World Series champion Reds team before I die.