PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Reds History (10/22/10): Past Lineups--1975 World Series

Big Klu
10-22-2010, 04:22 PM
35 years ago (1975), a 4-3 win in Game 7 of the World Series at Fenway Park in Boston.

Cincinnati
Pete Rose 3b
Joe Morgan 2b
Johnny Bench c
Tony Perez 1b
George Foster lf
Dave Concepcion ss
Ken Griffey rf
Cesar Geronimo cf
Don Gullett p

Boston
Bernie Carbo lf
Denny Doyle 2b
Carl Yastrzemski 1b
Carlton Fisk c
Fred Lynn cf
Rico Petrocelli 3b
Dwight Evans rf
Rick Burleson ss
Bill Lee p

WP: Clay Carroll (1-0)
LP: Jim Burton (0-1)
Sv: Will McEnaney (1)
HR: CIN - Tony Perez (3).

Don Gullett, Jack Billingham, Clay Carroll, and Will McEnaney combined on a five-hitter as the Reds came back from a 3-0 deficit with two runs in the sixth inning, one in the seventh, and one in the ninth to win the best-of-seven Series 4-3 and claim their third World Championship, and their first since 1940. The Reds came from behind in all four of their Series wins, and with the exception of Boston's 6-0 win in Game 1, the winning team trailed in every game of the Series. Five of the seven games were decided by one run, as this Series has since gone down in history as one of the greatest World Series ever played.

This concludes the "This Date In Reds History" feature for this season. I would like to thank everybody who contributes to the discussions, as well as those who just stop by to read each day. I really appreciate all the positive feedback I have received. As long as there is still an interest I will continue to post them. Next year I plan to feature the 1956, '61, '66, '71, '76, '81, '86, '91, '96, 2001, and '06 seasons. (I may consider featuring Reds seasons from the more distant past, as well.) I would like to recognize retrosheet.org and baseball-reference.com, two great sites where I find a lot of information.

See you all on April 2, as the 1996 and 2001 Reds will open next season's schedule!

mth123
10-22-2010, 06:55 PM
35 years ago (1975), a 4-3 win in Game 7 of the World Series at Fenway Park in Boston.

Cincinnati
Pete Rose 3b
Joe Morgan 2b
Johnny Bench c
Tony Perez 1b
George Foster lf
Dave Concepcion ss
Ken Griffey rf
Cesar Geronimo cf
Don Gullett p

Boston
Bernie Carbo lf
Denny Doyle 2b
Carl Yastrzemski 1b
Carlton Fisk c
Fred Lynn cf
Rico Petrocelli 3b
Dwight Evans rf
Rick Burleson ss
Bill Lee p

WP: Clay Carroll (1-0)
LP: Jim Burton (0-1)
Sv: Will McEnaney (1)
HR: CIN - Tony Perez (3).

Don Gullett, Jack Billingham, Clay Carroll, and Will McEnaney combined on a five-hitter as the Reds came back from a 3-0 deficit with two runs in the sixth inning, one in the seventh, and one in the ninth to win the best-of-seven Series 4-3 and claim their third World Championship, and their first since 1940. The Reds came from behind in all four of their Series wins, and with the exception of Boston's 6-0 win in Game 1, the winning team trailed in every game of the Series. Five of the seven games were decided by one run, as this Series has since gone down in history as one of the greatest World Series ever played.

This concludes the "This Date In Reds History" feature for this season. I would like to thank everybody who contributes to the discussions, as well as those who just stop by to read each day. I really appreciate all the positive feedback I have received. As long as there is still an interest I will continue to post them. Next year I plan to feature the 1956, '61, '66, '71, '76, '81, '86, '91, '96, 2001, and '06 seasons. (I may consider featuring Reds seasons from the more distant past, as well.) I would like to recognize retrosheet.org and baseball-reference.com, two great sites where I find a lot of information.

See you all on April 2, as the 1996 and 2001 Reds will open next season's schedule!

Tony Perez' HR in this game is the picture in my Avatar. People talk of Davis' HR in Game 1 of the 1990 series, but it isn't nearly as big as Tony's dinger here IMO. The Reds were down 3-0 in Game 7 when Perez hit his 2 run shot and from that moment, it seemed fairly certain that the Reds would climb over the Sox and win the series.

mth123
10-22-2010, 06:59 PM
BTW, thanks Klu. These threads are great and I know it must be a lot of work.

cumberlandreds
10-25-2010, 07:53 AM
The first championship of your favorite team is always the most special. This one in 1975 will be for me no matter how many more the Reds may win in my lifetime. The way they won it too made it even more special. Like mth said when Perez hit that 2 run homer you knew it was inevitable they were going to comeback to win. That's what this team did best.

Thanks Big Klu for another good year of these past seasons! It's always good to look back at the past. It's good seeing these all of these players names again from the Reds and opposing teams. Next year will have some good years too.1976 was another world championship season;1981 saw the Reds have the best record in baseball but no playoffs. It was kinda like being on probation in the NCAA;A great year but no post season to show for it. 1986 saw the Reds come up just a little short in the NL West and 1971 was the first season I followed the Reds closely. Hard to believe its been 40 years.

George Anderson
10-25-2010, 10:29 AM
25 years ago today I became a Cincinnati Reds fan.

I was a 7 year old boy who remembers vividly the flyball that Geronimo caught for the last out. It was an exciting thing for a kid to see.

I have been addicted to this franchise since.:beerme:

BTW Thanks Klu...I enjoy reading these.