PDA

View Full Version : Would You Make Chapman The Closer?

Krusty
10-24-2010, 08:30 AM
Something to chew on here. Given the depth of the starting rotation, would you make Chapman the closer in 2009 and try to trade Cordero to free up payroll and move someone who is on the decline?

jojo
10-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Chapman is much more valuable as a starter. I'd make him have to run through lineups more than once even if that meant he'd be back in Louisville next season.

reds1869
10-24-2010, 09:19 AM
I answered no because I prefer him as a starter. He could undoubtedly be an elite closer if given the chance, but I think he will be the TOR hammer that we've been seeking. If you can combine that with Cueto and Volquez on top of their game, you have a formidable top three.

RedsManRick
10-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Even as a reliever, I'd rather have him available for high leverage situations in the 7th and 8th than protecting 2 & 3 run leads in the 9th.

dougdirt
10-24-2010, 12:44 PM
When did we invent time travel?!

But for now, there is no reason at all to not stick Chapman back in the rotation until he shows you without question that he can't handle being a starter.

steig
10-24-2010, 12:53 PM
I voted no because top of the rotation pitching is difficult to find and develop. It seems like there are a lot more quality closers in baseball than top of the rotation starters. His potential is higher as a starter and you can always go to the closer role later if he doesn't work out as a starter. It would be much more difficult for him to develop back into a starter if he was a closer for a couple of years.

edabbs44
10-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Starter, he can always go back to relief if it doesn't work for whatever reason.

RedsManRick
10-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Arroyo
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Wood
Leake

If Chapman is in the rotation, which two guys aren't? Personally I'd give Volquez a run in the bullpen and probably have Leake in AAA or on the trading block.

edabbs44
10-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Arroyo
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Wood
Leake

If Chapman is in the rotation, which two guys aren't? Personally I'd give Volquez a run in the bullpen and probably have Leake in AAA or on the trading block.

I'd be looking to deal Volquez, Bailey, Wood or Leake. Whoever gets me the most in return goes.

Big Klu
10-24-2010, 01:23 PM
When did we invent time travel?!

November 5, 1955.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17/flux+capacitor1274659952.jpg

http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/flux_capacitor.jpg

OnBaseMachine
10-24-2010, 01:54 PM
No. I would keep him as a starter where he has the most value.

Will M
10-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Here is an issue: Just how many innings would the team hope to get out of Chapman in 2011 as a starter? He pitched 109 innings this year. If the team increases that by ~30 IP in 2011 he'll be toast by mid August.

dougdirt
10-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Here is an issue: Just how many innings would the team hope to get out of Chapman in 2011 as a starter? He pitched 109 innings this year. If the team increases that by ~30 IP in 2011 he'll be toast by mid August.

Well,he threw 125 innings in Cuba. So you should be safe getting him 155 innings. You still need to control his innings at that pace though.

Will M
10-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Well,he threw 125 innings in Cuba. So you should be safe getting him 155 innings. You still need to control his innings at that pace though.

so if the team wanted him to start how would they approach things? 32 starts x 5 innings a start is 160 innings. And thats with him going only 5 innings a start. Would you skip him in the rotation every few weeks? Shut him down when he reached a certain limit? Move him to the pen at a certain point?

IMO the team rode Leake into the wall this year. Walt/Dusty/Price did not do a good job of protecting his arm. The Philly debacle was pretty bad when Dusty tried to get him a complete game. They never skipped him in the rotation. They sent him out there every time the #5 spot came up until they realized his arm was 'tired'. After a brief move to the pen he was shut dopwn for the year. I'm a bit afraid that Leake 2010 could turn into Chapman 2011.

TheNext44
10-24-2010, 02:29 PM
Even as a reliever, I'd rather have him available for high leverage situations in the 7th and 8th than protecting 2 & 3 run leads in the 9th.

Or use him as a closer, the way closer's were used until the mid 90's. ;)

TheNext44
10-24-2010, 02:40 PM
so if the team wanted him to start how would they approach things? 32 starts x 5 innings a start is 160 innings. And thats with him going only 5 innings a start. Would you skip him in the rotation every few weeks? Shut him down when he reached a certain limit? Move him to the pen at a certain point?

IMO the team rode Leake into the wall this year. Walt/Dusty/Price did not do a good job of protecting his arm. The Philly debacle was pretty bad when Dusty tried to get him a complete game. They never skipped him in the rotation. They sent him out there every time the #5 spot came up until they realized his arm was 'tired'. After a brief move to the pen he was shut dopwn for the year. I'm a bit afraid that Leake 2010 could turn into Chapman 2011.

Except for that unexcusable Phillie game, I have no problem with the way that Leake was handled. He hit his inning limit and was shut down. Yeah, he was ineffective at the end, but he never looke hurt or changed his mechanics.

Anyway, Chapman will need to be streched out at the beginning of the season in AAA, which means his pitch count will be low at first. If he hit a wall in Sept. then shut him down like they did Leake. It's not like the Reds absolutely need him to contend. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if he was kept in AAA all season

Big Klu
10-24-2010, 02:53 PM
What about maybe having Chapman pitch about 45-50 innings in winter ball in Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic, in order to get his innings total for this year up?

mth123
10-24-2010, 05:16 PM
I think the cautionary tale is Joba Chamberlain in NY. He was a promising starter for 88 innings at 3 levels in 2007. The Yankees brought him up and he looked awesome for 24 relief innings at the end of 2007, but 2008 saw him going back and forth between the rotation and the pen and the following season when he tried to go a starters load he was pretty ho hum with more hits allowed than IP (167 hits in 157 IP), a fairly high walk rate (4.3/9), too many HRs (21 in 157 IP) and banishment to the pen for 2010. He was a little better, but still ho hum and now he's burned over three seasons in service time. Its not just the innings, but the reduced pitch assortment that the pen requires prevents development of secondary pitches and those that were somewhat developped go rusty.

The Reds need to make a decision and stick with it. My vote is to stick him in the AAA rotation, let him get 160 or so IP while using all of his pitches and forget about him until 2012.

edabbs44
10-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I think people are overthinking the whole overusage/underusage/make sure he throws no more than x innings/make sure he throws no less than x innings/etc etc etc.

Not just on this board, just in general.

PuffyPig
10-24-2010, 11:06 PM
I try ham as a starter first; if he fails there, I'd eventually turn him into a reliever, and if he thrived there, make him the closer.

It would be imprudent to simply make him the closer now.

Slyder
10-24-2010, 11:08 PM
1 Look at his cost
2 Look at his cost
3 Look at his talent.
4 Look at the talent.
5 Look at the talent.

There is not a single twinkling of doubt in my mind he is a starter until he proves he cannot handle it. He starts for me at AAA working with Power developing that third pitch and is run out there every 5th day until you see him getting close to a wall and a trainer constantly watching him. Rest him as needed. Let him show that he can make it 6-7 innings a game consistantly, then call him up. His talent is miscast as a closer for the simple fact that he has not even been tried at starting yet. Yes he is still young but we have him under contract at an increase cost, throwing him in the pen maybe the best for the 2011 Reds but for the future it really limits our opportunities beyond with him. If he makes it to the majors and for whatever reason, he cannot cut it as a starter you then Joba Chamberlain him.

TheNext44
10-24-2010, 11:28 PM
1 If he makes it to the majors and for whatever reason, he cannot cut it as a starter you then Eric Gagne him.

So if he doesn't cut it as a starter, you want to give him steroids? :cool:

Slyder
10-24-2010, 11:35 PM
So if he doesn't cut it as a starter, you want to give him steroids? :cool:

Fine :P If he doesnt cut it as a starter then you Joba Chamberlain him and stick him in the back of the pen.

redsfandan
10-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Arroyo
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Wood
Leake

I think most don't want him in the Reds rotation. At least not yet. He needs to show in AAA that he can be a starter first. If he can't then you make him a reliever. Sure, he could be lights out pitching in the ninth. And we don't know for sure which role he's better suited for. But, he would be much more valuable if he can be a starter.

_Sir_Charles_
10-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Closers are overrated. Pretty much ANY effective reliever can be a closer. It's all about adjusting to the mentality of it. Plus, I think it would be a waste of his talent to limit him to one inning mop up.

Your team's best pitchers are your starters. Of the pitchers remaining...the best arms are your relievers. Of those, the most steady & reliable is your closer. A pretty simple formula I tend to perscribe to.

_Sir_Charles_
10-25-2010, 08:46 AM
The Reds need to make a decision and stick with it. My vote is to stick him in the AAA rotation, let him get 160 or so IP while using all of his pitches and forget about him until 2012.

Spot on.

15fan
10-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I say stick him in the bullpen. Reds have enough other starting options in the rotation with Arroyo, Leake, Bailey, Wood, Cueto, and Volquez.

(I'll admit, though, that I'm partial to Nasty Boys baseball where you stockpile big arms in the bullpen.)

The caveat is that if the Reds want to make a serious improvement at SS or LF, they will need to deal some pitching. One of the 6 names listed above may not be in the Reds organization when pitchers and catchers report in February. If that's the case, Chapman gets serious consideration for the rotation.

TheNext44
10-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Arroyo
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Wood
Leake

The ones that get injured or are ineffective?

Odds are a teams needs at least 8 starters to get through a season. Keeping all these guys and starting Chapman means less games started by Maloney and LeCure.

edabbs44
10-25-2010, 01:19 PM

Odds are a teams needs at least 8 starters to get through a season. Keeping all these guys and starting Chapman means less games started by Maloney and LeCure.

You don't need 8 major league starters.

PuffyPig
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
You don't need 8 major league starters.

We did this year.

Harang
Arroyo
Leake
Cueto
Bailey
Wood
Volquez
Lecure
Maloney

all started games for us.

RedsManRick
10-25-2010, 02:58 PM

At the same time, is it worth keeping 8 starters when you have marginal talent in LF and SS? It's like refusing to sell your spare tire to replace dangerously thin belts in your engine. Yeah, you'll probably need the tire at some point -- but what's the more immediate concern?

edabbs44
10-25-2010, 03:00 PM
We did this year.

Harang
Arroyo
Leake
Cueto
Bailey
Wood
Volquez
Lecure
Maloney

I mean major league quality starters. Harang, Maloney and Lecure quality pitchers will still be here to backfill in the case of an emergency.

TheNext44
10-25-2010, 03:55 PM
At the same time, is it worth keeping 8 starters when you have marginal talent in LF and SS? It's like refusing to sell your spare tire to replace dangerously thin belts in your engine. Yeah, you'll probably need the tire at some point -- but what's the more immediate concern?

Completely agree. I would love for one of the starters turned into an above average LF. All the more reason to have Chapman start.

kaldaniels
10-25-2010, 05:46 PM

I can confidently say that odds are Cueto and Arroyo will at least be major league average pitchers next year.

However, it gets really dicey after that. There are 5 more guys, but I think it is fair to say that none of them have put it together for 1 whole season with the exception of EV's 2008.

It looks like a good argument to say that the Reds don't need 8 SP, but I think the reason why this is up for discussion is that no one really knows how many the Reds have.

Hoosier Red
10-26-2010, 02:23 PM

They skipped him quite a bit in the end of June and July.

Will M
10-26-2010, 04:50 PM
They skipped him quite a bit in the end of June and July.

I see start dates of:
June 5, 10, 16, 21 & 29.
July 4, 9, 20 (all star break), 25.
August 3, 9, 14.

The only breaks I see are 8 days between June 21/29, the all star break &
9 days between July 25/August 3. His ERA rose from 2.22 on June 5th to 4.23 when he was shut down August 24th. He had 138 IP when he was shut down.

Maybe this is perfectly ok. Build up his arm, then when he starts to show fatigue shut him down. However, it begs the question: should this be done in the minors rather than in the majors? I guess 'every game counts' so a guy winning games early in the season helps you make the post season (even if he gets shut down during the pennant race). However, its kinda weird to start a guy in your rotation who has little chance of finishing the year there.
If Chapman can only give us ~150 IP next year there seems little chance he'll start & finish in the rotation.

Options for Chapman:
1) spend the year in AAA pitching the 150 innings & join the 2012 rotation with a goal of 175 innings?
2) start the year in the rotation & move to the pen at some point? that way he can build his arm up to 150 innings yet help the team down the stretch & hopefully in the post season.
3) convert him to a reliever?

Options 2 & 3 both would help the 2011 squad. I suspect Bob/Walt/Dusty would all like the $30M man to help the team make the post season again.
Plus he won't sell tickets in Cincinnati if he is pitching in Louisville.

My vote is for scenario #2 if that is feasable.

edabbs44
10-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Start up the discussion:

According to Will Carroll, Reds manager Dusty Baker said on Sirius XM radio that he believes Aroldis Chapman will remain in the bullpen next season.

We find that hard to believe. Chapman was converted to a reliever with a late-season promotion in mind, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty signed him to be a starting pitcher. It would be foolish to waste his considerable potential in the bullpen, even with a surplus of arms for their starting rotation.

From Rotoworld

Superdude
10-27-2010, 01:29 PM
According to Will Carroll, Reds manager Dusty Baker said on Sirius XM radio that he believes Aroldis Chapman will remain in the bullpen next season.

maybe to limit innings? that scares me

NJReds
10-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I hope the Reds don't mess with this kid the way the Yankees messed with Joba Chamberlain. Chapman's got TOR stuff. You groom him as a starter. The bullpen should be nothing but a fallback.

dfs
10-27-2010, 01:48 PM
We did this year.

Harang
Arroyo
Leake
Cueto
Bailey
Wood
Volquez
Lecure
Maloney

Yup. Most teams need 10. Some rare teams need 7. Nobody gets by with just 5.

Harang will be gone. I believe Maloney will be gone. That puts the reds at 7 starters with some major league experience.
The weird thing about the reds is that you can't order them. #7 is likely to outperform #1. AND if you look in the organization our # 8+ guys are still high end potential guys who could be decent starters. We don't have.....Oh Jimmy Haynes hiding in the depth chart.

If I'm Walt, I'll trade Maloney and hang onto the other guys. Somebody will get hurt. Somebody will implode (Yeah, I'm looking at your Homer)....Put Chapman and one of Wood/Leake in AAA at the start of the year knowing that they will end up getting their innings.

Maloney/Yonder/Frazier makes a decent starting package to go fishing with.

TheNext44
10-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Start up the discussion:

From Rotoworld

Dusty says a lot of things. When someone in the front office says it, I'll be worried.

Brutus
10-27-2010, 02:43 PM
Dusty says a lot of things. When someone in the front office says it, I'll be worried.

Yeah I thought Jocketty even reiterated last week that Chapman is going to be a starter. I'm pretty sure I read that here.

Roy Tucker
10-27-2010, 03:13 PM
I wish it were true, but I just don't get the love for Maloney (Matt, not Jim).

He's a AAAA pitcher if I ever saw one and I don't see anyone really wanting him.

Sea Ray
10-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Jocketty was on WLW last night and he sure sounded like Chapman would be in the bullpen for one more yr due to the surpluses he expects in the rotation. Later they had Brantley on and he too thought Chapman should be in the bullpen because he doesn't have command of his secondary pitches to be an effective starter. He mentioned Wainright as a model to follow with his development

TheNext44
10-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Jocketty was on WLW last night and he sure sounded like Chapman would be in the bullpen for one more yr due to the surpluses he expects in the rotation. Later they had Brantley on and he too thought Chapman should be in the bullpen because he doesn't have command of his secondary pitches to be an effective starter. He mentioned Wainright as a model to follow with his development

As long as the long term plan is for Chapman to be a starter, I'm fine with it. A lot of great starting pitchers started out as relievers. I just hope the Reds move him to starting in 2012, no matter how he does as a reliever in 2011.

Will M
10-27-2010, 05:01 PM

Rotation:
Arroyo (Reds reportedly trying to extend him)
Cueto
Volquez
Wood (L)
Bailey
Leake
Maloney (insurance against injuries)
LeCure (insurance against injuries. maybe in the pen)
Thats eight deep. Six real major league guys & two guys for depth.
If Chapman goes to the pen then it leaves us with six guys for five spots. A nice problem to have. Seven guys for five spots just is too many.

Bullpen:
Cordero
Masset
Chapman (L)
Ondrusek
Bray (L)
That leaves two spots open for competiton. It wouldn't suprise me to see Walt try to bring back Rhodes for one of these spots.

Overall thats a pretty good staff.

Homer Bailey
10-28-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm fine with Chapman coming out of the bullpen, only if they play this song as his intro song:

YouTube - Till I Collapse-Lyrics (clean) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPXZGKxmfFg)

Superdude
10-28-2010, 02:39 AM
Jocketty was on WLW last night and he sure sounded like Chapman would be in the bullpen for one more yr due to the surpluses he expects in the rotation

So we're going to stall the development of a hall of fame talent because we've got a few extra arms? Ugh

TheNext44
10-28-2010, 02:51 AM
So we're going to stall the development of a hall of fame talent because we've got a few extra arms? Ugh

Considering his age, it's really not going to stall much. He probably will be babied for a few more years, whether he is starting or relieving.

Superdude
10-28-2010, 03:24 AM
Considering his age, it's really not going to stall much. He probably will be babied for a few more years, whether he is starting or relieving.

It's not about babying so much as learning how to pitch for seven innings and mix up his stuff better. Throwing 25 straight fastballs over 100MPH was one of the most incredible things I've ever witnessed, but airing it out for one inning at a time does very little to develop the skills necessary to start at the major league level.

Ron Madden
10-28-2010, 03:56 AM

A kid with Chapmans talent is more valuable in the starting rotation then he is as a reliever. Chapman is young enough to spend 2011 in Louisville refining command of his secondary pitches. (If he can do that, Look Out!)

I agree that there have been some very good starting pitchers that have broke into the major leagues throwing out of the pen. I honestly believe it would be a huge mistake by the Reds to try to develop Chapman in this manner. Don't rush a good thing.

JMHO

dfs
10-28-2010, 11:35 AM
I wish it were true, but I just don't get the love for Maloney (Matt, not Jim).

He's a AAAA pitcher if I ever saw one and I don't see anyone really wanting him.

As the reds have shown over the years, AAAA pitchers that can stay healthy have great value. I don't have a clever answer for the back half of that. Yeah, I would think if somebody was willing to trade him for anything useful it would already be done.

A kid with Chapmans talent is more valuable in the starting rotation then he is as a reliever. Chapman is young enough to spend 2011 in Louisville refining command of his secondary pitches. (If he can do that, Look Out!)

This is all very true. The reds have Chapman for several years. There is no reason to rush a good thing. One of the complaints leveled at the reds treatment of Homer Bailey was the he was rushed to the majors as a savior and didn't MAKE them promote him. Same thing here.

I agree that there have been some very good starting pitchers that have broke into the major leagues throwing out of the pen. I honestly believe it would be a huge mistake by the Reds to try to develop Chapman in this manner. Don't rush a good thing.

Earl Weaver used to be famous for this but then...Earl had a ton of talent come his way and bullpens used to be run in a different way than they are now. I wonder with the more regimented way bullpens are run now if it's just harder to get a kid developmental innings in a major league game than it used to be.

Chip R
10-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Earl Weaver used to be famous for this but then...Earl had a ton of talent come his way and bullpens used to be run in a different way than they are now. I wonder with the more regimented way bullpens are run now if it's just harder to get a kid developmental innings in a major league game than it used to be.

You may be right but guys like Oswalt started out in the bullpen throwing long relief. I don't disagree with your theory of starting Chapman in the pen but if he's only going to throw short relief and be a setup man, I don't think that isn't going to help him as a starter. He's really too good for long relief and he's almost a waste as a short reliever.

dougdirt
10-28-2010, 02:35 PM
For all of the "so and so started out in the bullpen before heading to the rotation" guys/girls.... do you know how many innings they had on their arm in their top IP season in the minors?

Two guys mentioned in this thread:
Roy Oswalt - 172
Adam Wainwright - 182

Both guys had full starters workloads already built up.

Chapman has 125 innings on his arm from the Cuban Leagues. He needs to continue to add innings beyond that. Throwing him in the bullpen is not going to do that.

mth123
10-28-2010, 07:05 PM
For all of the "so and so started out in the bullpen before heading to the rotation" guys/girls.... do you know how many innings they had on their arm in their top IP season in the minors?

Two guys mentioned in this thread:
Roy Oswalt - 172
Adam Wainwright - 182

Both guys had full starters workloads already built up.

Chapman has 125 innings on his arm from the Cuban Leagues. He needs to continue to add innings beyond that. Throwing him in the bullpen is not going to do that.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm in complete agreement. People reference how Earl Weaver did it, but when Weaver was managing, pitchers came up through the ranks as starters and were moved to the pen in the majors. The comparable move would be what the Reds did with Sam Lecure in 2010. People seem to be overlooking that the move to the pen to break into the big leagues is not step one and is several steps into the process. Seems like we're trying to skip several steps in Chapman's development. To me it seems a fine way to ensure that he stays a reliever long term or ends up a struggling starter with an injured left arm.

Homer Bailey
10-29-2010, 12:17 AM
To clarify my earlier post, I'm not fine with Chapman coming out of the pen. I really just want him to have a sick intro song when he does come in that makes the opposing team say: "OH MY GOD! THATS AROLDIS CHAPMANS MUSIC!"

Slyder
10-29-2010, 12:47 AM
YouTube - Breaking Point - One Of A Kind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a5aQfnjl9c)

TheNext44
10-29-2010, 02:10 AM
From Fay...

The last time I asked Walt Jocketty if Chapman was going to start next year, he had a one-word answer: “Definitely.”

This was after Fay reprinted what Dusty said in the radio interview. Dusty started out saying that they hadn't decided yet, then rambled, and then said if Chapman were in the bullpen, it would be at the back end of it.

I now have my money in Chapman starting next season.

RedsManRick
10-29-2010, 12:58 PM
From Fay...

This was after Fay reprinted what Dusty said in the radio interview. Dusty started out saying that they hadn't decided yet, then rambled, and then said if Chapman were in the bullpen, it would be at the back end of it.

I now have my money in Chapman starting next season.

Interesting. I think that means we'll see Chapman as a starter in Spring Training. But I think he'll have to be dominant and show very good control to win a spot.

Bailey has no options and a reputation of not being able to get warmed up quickly, so I'm guessing he's a lock.

The Reds seem extremely high on Volquez, so I think he'll be there too (though I'd have him in relief -- he just can't keep his mechanics consistent)

So I think it will ultimately come down to Wood v Leake v Chapman for the 5th spot. I think Wood will win it considering how well he pitched in Cincy and that it gives the rotation a lefty.

savafan
10-29-2010, 06:03 PM
Question, in all seriousness:

Which is harder on a pitcher's arm, the amount of innings or the number of pitches thrown? Is it the stopping and starting, sitting in the dugout waiting to go back out and pitch, that wears on the arm more than the number of pitches thrown?