PDA

View Full Version : How would you rate GAB

brm7675
10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Remove the team aspect, when you go to a game at Great American Ballpark how would you rate your overall experience. From how easy it is to park and it's costs, to getting into the stadium to promotional giveaways, to food to stadium serivces and such. When you get home after a game at GAB no matter the result on the field how do you look back on your expereince?

mckbearcat48
10-27-2010, 12:54 PM
It's a pretty good place to see a game. Drove up from my former home in Lexington to catch Brewers/Reds at the end of '09. Vast improvement over Cinergy, so that counts for something. Parking wasn't too bad (about a 2 block walk) for $5.

Fans are pretty cool to opposing fans (as I was in Cinergy and first time at GABP), as long as the opposing fans don't bait Reds fans. All in all, a solid experience and good value (got tickets in LF bleachers for $2).

Vottomatic
10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Well, I haven't to been to any other parks in a long, long time, so I have nothing to compare it to but Cinergy.

But I don't need all the pomp and circumstance.

I like GABP. Easy to get to. Comfortable seating.......and really not a bad seat in the house.

From what I hear, reasonably priced in comparison to other cities.

I think it's really all we need. I enjoy some of the stuff they do between innings which makes it fun. It's a true baseball field.

arkimadee
10-27-2010, 06:46 PM
I've been to the Ballpark in Arlington and PNC Park and I have to say it doesn't look as good as those parks, but to me Great American is home. If I wasn't a fan of the Reds I would say average, but since I've been there so many times, Im comfortable with it and I love alot of the features of the park so I'm going to give it a good.

aldotcs
10-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I have no out of town venues to compare it to, but I love how there's not a bad seat in GABP. I couldn't say that about our former stadium.

Girevik
10-28-2010, 09:16 AM
I've not got a lot compare it to either (Cleveland, old and new Yankee, Turner Field (and maybe the old Fulton County....not sure), and it's been a while since I've been to any but Yankee.

GABP is sure a heck of a lot better than Riverfront was, but for me it's more about the game on the field than the trappings of the stadium. One thing that ticks me off about GAPB...when did they get rid of the frosty malt vendors? There are only a couple of stands that sell them, and that's a must have when I go to a game.

bounty37h
10-28-2010, 10:10 AM
^There's no beer vendors and only a few stands selling beer????? That cant be right.

redsfan_12
10-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Ive sat in just about every different level of the stadium and there isnt a bad seat at all. The worst, was my playoff seats in section 411. Only bad thing about sitting in LF is that you cant see the video board.

New York Red
10-28-2010, 11:37 AM
I've only been to six mlb stadiums in my lifetime - Crosley, Riverfront, and GAB in Cincinnati, Jacobs Field in Cleveland when it first opened, and the old and new Yankee stadiums. I was too young then to still remember Crosley vividly now. As a kid in my early teens watching the BRM in Riverfront Stadium, I felt more like I was in a shrine to greatness. Everything about it seemed perfect at the time, but I didn't view the surroundings as an adult would. As I got older, I began to dislike Riverfront and couldn't wait for the Reds to build a new stadium. GAB isn't as big and nice as some other mlb venues, but I love it. After watching games for over 30 years in Riverfront, by comparison GAB is beautiful. Not too big, easy to get around, comfortable, good views from all seating areas, etc. I can't rate it "great", simply because there's better venues. But I definitely give it a "good" rating.

brm7675
10-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I have been to a number of ballparks both old ones and the new modern stadium. My biggest gripe about GABP is well...it's bland. I mean it looks and feels to me like something that was designed on the fly just to get something built. I never liked where they decided to put it, I hate the over design and look. When you look around at other new ballparks and see the unique and fun things and then at GABP...wellllll. If not for the Reds playing there I doubt I would see many games there.

krm1580
10-28-2010, 01:03 PM
I guess it depends on the perspective. If I compare it to Cinergy it is much better. Better seating, better food, much more family friendly with all the extra stuff.

When I compare it to the other stadiums I have been to though it is definitely not as nice. I can't exactly put my finger on what it is, but I was describe it as having an "unfinished" feel like it is still under construction and the cool stuff has not been put in yet.

DocRed
10-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Never been there but thinking of going. I just moved from the Bay area and love the SF Giants stadium, how does it compare to that for those that have seen both?

mlh1981
10-28-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm glad the kelly green seats/red brick that we see in so many new stadiums is absent from this place.

I also like the fact that it doesn't face the city. Facing Kentucky gives it a tranquill feeling.

It's a clean, spacious, friendly, modern venue. A step short of,say a PNC Park, but only the most fickle of fan would come away disappointed.

brm7675
10-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm glad the kelly green seats/red brick that we see in so many new stadiums is absent from this place.

I also like the fact that it doesn't face the city. Facing Kentucky gives it a tranquill feeling.

It's a clean, spacious, friendly, modern venue. A step short of,say a PNC Park, but only the most fickle of fan would come away disappointed.

Maybe because everything seems so antiseptic is why i find it dull. I mean right now, the only other "new" park that i have been to that I find worse is the White Sox field. I have been to Miller park which is awsome, I have been to PNC park which is how GABP should have been done and i have been to O's park in Baltimore and it's in a class by itself. Ours comes off as though no thought was put into history, that a modern ballpark with steel and stone was built and afterwards they thought oh no we need to personalize it and have since added the riverboat which is okay i guess. I personally liked the Broadway design that was the counter plan to GABP a bunch more, plus feel that would have been a better spot for the stadium.

bounty37h
10-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Maybe because everything seems so antiseptic is why i find it dull. I mean right now, the only other "new" park that i have been to that I find worse is the White Sox field. I have been to Miller park which is awsome, I have been to PNC park which is how GABP should have been done and i have been to O's park in Baltimore and it's in a class by itself. Ours comes off as though no thought was put into history, that a modern ballpark with steel and stone was built and afterwards they thought oh no we need to personalize it and have since added the riverboat which is okay i guess. I personally liked the Broadway design that was the counter plan to GABP a bunch more, plus feel that would have been a better spot for the stadium.

Thats interesting to me, cause I cant think of a stadium I disliked more then Baltimore, without going back to my junior high field. It doesnt feel like baseball to me, even in the stands, but certainly not in the concourse or outside the stadium. Its a field with bricks built around it IMO.

brm7675
10-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Thats interesting to me, cause I cant think of a stadium I disliked more then Baltimore, without going back to my junior high field. It doesnt feel like baseball to me, even in the stands, but certainly not in the concourse or outside the stadium. Its a field with bricks built around it IMO.

I don't know what it was or if was one specific thing, but i loved that park in Baltimore. I loved the seating, the sightlines the overall feel and the area around the park. For me the overall ballpark experience has more to do then just the game on the field, in fact i think the stadium location and what is around it makes a huge impact also. I love fenway, but hate it's seats, they are so small and my large butt barley fits in them, but all the other stuff outweighs that one flaw ( a flaw shared by Wrigley). GABP and cincy is a boring place outside of the game. Now they are finally building stuff around the stadiums and maybe that will help. All i know is that for 'just' watching and 'feeling' the game, nothing will ever top old Tiger Stadium.

bounty37h
10-28-2010, 04:53 PM
^Funny how people see the same thing in a different light. I agree about the park having a feeling and doesnt even have to do with the game-see my post on fav parks and what I said about Durham Bulls stadium.The reason you said you like Balt are the reasons I dont from my experiences there. I dont feel it has any baseball feel to it, no feeling/energy outside the stadium as you get walking up to Fenway IMO. I like that you can go talk with Boog before the game, but thats about it that I can even think of that makes you realize your in a ballpark and not just a random train station in some city.

PMand JM
10-28-2010, 05:53 PM
I love GABP! Have taken my family there probably 10 times, and I absolutely love the environment. The other ballparks I have been to were Riverfront/(Cinergy)/3 rivers, as well as Dodger Stadium, andI can honestly say, with admitted bias, that GABP is the best. Great place for a ballgame, and yes, the focus is on the ballgame, and a great family friendly environment. My wife, who tolerates baseball likes GABP, and well guys, that really helps. She gets into all the side activities, and its a win-win for us all :)

brachial pleXUs
10-31-2010, 11:47 PM
I love GABP. There's no bad seat in the house, the screen is awesome, the sound's great. Joe Zerhusen is tops, the food choices are good, and the prices aren't bad at all. Most of all, I love it because it's "home."

That being said, where's the personality? Where's the "wow" factor? Where's the drama? I want cool stuff like a warehouse built into the outfield, or a 37-foot-tall left field wall. Or waterfalls in the outfield. A tacked-on steamboat does not count. It's like they went to Wal-Mart and came home with a baseball stadium.

bigredmechanism
11-01-2010, 12:11 AM
No smoking anywhere is a bit odd, but aside from that my trip to cincy and to a game was awesome.

Old NDN
11-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Poor parking setup for general public. Panhandler gauntlet. Dimensions way too short in the power alleys and CF. I get so tired of hearing from the national media of how small the park is. If it plays too small, fix it. I agree it's alot better than Riverfront, but it seems something is missing. Too bad they couldn't back it up some in RF to make the river a little more reachable, ala McCovey Cove.

bounty37h
11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
No smoking anywhere is a bit odd, but aside from that my trip to cincy and to a game was awesome.

I think all, or at least most, have gone that way these days. Durham Bulls Stadium along with the team were built with tobacco money, doesn't allow smoking anywhere anymore.

bigredmechanism
11-03-2010, 12:33 AM
I'm not so sure of that.

I went to three different stadiums this summer, and 2 of which had a smoking area. I understand completely people not wanting smokers around themselves and their kids, but having an area behind center field shouldn't be too hard.

I wasn't doing this, but I saw people smoking in the bathrooms like it was high school all over again. Pretty sad on both parts, in my opinion.

PeteRoseBelongs
11-03-2010, 03:52 PM
I have been to old riverfront, Tampa, and Atlanta both new and old. I am definately in the minority but I loved Riverfront stadium. I have great memories and I saw great teams just like we all did. Well saying that there can never been anything but Riverfront Stadium for me. Go Reds :beerme:

gedred69
11-03-2010, 09:33 PM
I put GABP in the upper middle of the pack. Was in Miller Park for Farm-Aid while the Reds and Brewers were closing out the season here. I was very impressed.

BPhil4
11-04-2010, 12:04 PM
at my job back in ohio, our president is from houston and a big stros' fan. He told me GABP was one of his favorite stadiums after he visited. He said there was plenty to do and see and that he thought the HOF was better then anything he had seen at a ballpark.

DirtyBaker
11-04-2010, 03:02 PM
I can only compare it to Jacobs Field, Riverfront, and AT&T. Besides AT&T, it's the best I've been to. While I miss Riverfront and the $5 seats, GAB makes up for it with the $1 hot dogs once you're there. Prices are still reasonable compared to other stadiums - just sneak your beer in and you'll be fine.