PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if...

Redsfan320
10-31-2010, 02:29 PM
the Reds did what the Browns did in the '90s. Relocate with a new name, but take the personnel with them; but then have another Reds team pop up in Cincy within the next couple years as part of an agreement with the league. Would "still" be a fan of the "Old Reds", are would you "become" a fan of the "New Reds?" I think I'd try to become a fan of the "New Reds," as then you get their games on TV, their stadium close, etc.

Normally I wouldn't clutter the board up with this, but it's a slow off-season. :D

RedsManRick
10-31-2010, 02:40 PM
I'd probably take the opportunity to shift my fandom to a team who embodies the same general philosophy I do. I haven't had a regional tie to the Reds since I was 8 years old, I might as well support something I believe in.

Red in Chicago
10-31-2010, 02:46 PM
I hate American League baseball, but I'm guessing it would be "hello White Sox" for me...

macro
10-31-2010, 02:50 PM
I would become a fan of the new Reds. We root for laundry. The names on the backs and the faces under the caps will come and go, but I'll always be a fan of the team wearing the red and white uniforms with the wishbone "C".

Redsfan320
10-31-2010, 03:16 PM
I would become a fan of the new Reds. We root for laundry. The names on the backs and the faces under the caps will come and go, but I'll always be a fan of the team wearing the red and white uniforms with the wishbone "C".

This is where I'm at. Also, :lol: at the new sig.

traderumor
10-31-2010, 04:06 PM
The new Browns are still the Old Browns. Same fan base. The old Browns, now the Ravens, are the Ravens. With Stover gone, wasn't he the last one? Anyhow, I'm a Reds fan, it would probably mean I didn't have a favorite team until the new Reds arrived, then I would root for them. Consider it divorce and remarriage.

Raisor
10-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Isn't this, more or less, what happened to the original Reds? Left and went to Boston.

Redsfan320
10-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Isn't this, more or less, what happened to the original Reds? Left and went to Boston.

Essentially, yes. Although I believe a couple different ones popped up shortly between the original Red Stockings and the present-day Reds, such as the team that was banned for selling beer. Anyways, I assumed none of you were alive for that one, except maybe RFS. ;)

GADawg
10-31-2010, 07:31 PM
I'd go postal and wind up in the big house....of course I almost went postal after game 2 anyway

KronoRed
10-31-2010, 07:43 PM
Probably root for the forth version of the Reds, or fifth, depending on what you accept.

Be funny to still see "Established 1869" up there

corkedbat
10-31-2010, 10:44 PM
I'd probably be done with baseball. I'm watching less and less sports every year as it is. I watch every UK FB & BB game, but I've quit even bothering to record the Bengals games (I work Sundays 12-9).

If the Reds moved (as in your scenario), I'd probably just not watch baseball on TV. I'd probably make it to the Park a timeor two a year because I like the live baseball experience so much, but my rooting interest would e pretty tepid.

I'd think the same small market economics would plague the expansion Reds, so I'd think starting from scratch would mean a pretty wretched team for a pretty long time. Luckily, I don't see the Reds going anywhere though.

Brutus
10-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Players come and go anyhow. The team everyone would be rooting for in 20 years would be made up of a new group of players, so I suppose having a new team would simply be a much expedited microcosm of the process :)

As has been mentioned, I suppose we typically pull more for the city, the jerseys and the brand name than we do the collection of players. Fans view the team as a representation of their city, or at least did, more than a representation of the individual players. Free agency has diminished that somewhat, but yet it's also strengthened the philosophy.

11larkin11
11-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Where's Art Modell? Cannot think of one person on this Earth I despise more....but thats not here nor there. I would obviously be a "new" Reds fan, there is no doubt about it. The "old Reds" would then become a bitter enemy and my most hated rival, and I would think anyone who followed them would be ruthless traitors.

But I've been through it before, so I'm a little partial.

Redsfan320
11-01-2010, 07:09 AM
expedited microcosm

You must be a writer, lol.

Yeah, but I don't mind it.

dfs
11-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I would become a "fan" in the sense that I am with the Bengals.

If they're going good..."Go team!" Otherwise the NFL becomes a harmless way to nap in front of the TV on Sunday afternoon and get out of doing work I should do. I can find some team that I'll have a preference for....It's not the same as rooting for a team, but it's what I would have.

reds1869
11-01-2010, 11:03 AM

Wait, so you're saying the Reds weren't really established in 1869? My screen name is a lie? :D

Oh, and I'd cheer for the new major league team playing in Cincinnati.

RANDY IN INDY
11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
:beerme:

bucksfan2
11-01-2010, 11:47 AM
I hate the notion of rooting for laundry. I root for the Reds because Cincinnati is my hometown. Its the same reason I root for the Bengals. And I root for Ohio State because they are my alma mater. It has nothing to do with laundry. It would be much easier to root for the Yankees or the Red Sox or the Steelers or the Patriots but I can't.

If the Reds left Cincy I would be hard pressed to ever root for that franchise again. I don't know if I would ever root for another baseball team again.

kaldaniels
11-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I hate the notion of rooting for laundry. I root for the Reds because Cincinnati is my hometown. Its the same reason I root for the Bengals. And I root for Ohio State because they are my alma mater. It has nothing to do with laundry. It would be much easier to root for the Yankees or the Red Sox or the Steelers or the Patriots but I can't.

If the Reds left Cincy I would be hard pressed to ever root for that franchise again. I don't know if I would ever root for another baseball team again.

Rooting for laundry is an expression. We all root for Cincinnati probably because like you, we were exposed to the Reds at a younger age.

camisadelgolf
11-01-2010, 12:29 PM
I'd root for the individual players on whatever teams they moved on to, but I'd switch my allegiance to the new Cincinnati team. I'd even root for the team if they were known as the Cincinnati Oilers, Cincinnati Jazz, or Cincinnati Texans.

Here's another question for you all. If Cincinnati were to get a second MLB team, would you root for both the Reds and the new team? Or would you root for only one of them?

Roy Tucker
11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I was as big of a Browns fan back from the 60's through the 90's as I am a Reds fan. And that's pretty darn big.

Had my Clay Matthews jersey that I wore every Sunday, made multiple annual pilgramages up to Municipal Stadium, sat in the Dawg Pound, went nuts, and generally lived and died with the Browns. Like, Red Right 88, the Drive, and the Fumble are etched on my soul, I still remember the '63 NFL Championship game clear as a bell, and I seriously considered naming my son Bernie.

When the Browns moved, it was like getting a divorce. Modell and the Browns screwed their fans over about as badly as it could be. I stopped planning my Sundays around the Browns game and found out there was actually other stuff to do on Sunday. I pretty well stopped watching the NFL.

When the Browns v2.0 came about, I half-heartedly tried to become a Browns fan again. But it just didn't take hold. I'd moved on. I do other things on Sunday now. It was like trying to get back together with my ex-wife. It was over and dead as a doornail.

In other words, I just didn't care any more. The opposite of love isn't hate. It's apathy.

If the Reds move (God forbid) and pull a Browns, I'd have a very difficult time re-establishing my fandom. I'd find other things to do in the summer, like fish or go boating.

EDIT: oh, there is no darn way I would have ever ever ever become a Ravens fan. Ditto with a transplanted Reds.

RFS62
11-01-2010, 01:24 PM
I was as big of a Browns fan back from the 60's through the 90's as I am a Reds fan. And that's pretty darn big.

Had my Clay Matthews jersey that I wore every Sunday, made multiple annual pilgramages up to Municipal Stadium, sat in the Dawg Pound, went nuts, and generally lived and died with the Browns. Like, Red Right 88, the Drive, and the Fumble are etched on my soul, I still remember the '63 NFL Championship game clear as a bell, and I seriously considered naming my son Bernie.

When the Browns moved, it was like getting a divorce. Modell and the Browns screwed their fans over about as badly as it could be. I stopped planning my Sundays around the Browns game and found out there was actually other stuff to do on Sunday. I pretty well stopped watching the NFL.

When the Browns v2.0 came about, I half-heartedly tried to become a Browns fan again. But it just didn't take hold. I'd moved on. I do other things on Sunday now. It was like trying to get back together with my ex-wife. It was over and dead as a doornail.

In other words, I just didn't care any more. The opposite of love isn't hate. It's apathy.

If the Reds move (God forbid) and pull a Browns, I'd have a very difficult time re-establishing my fandom. I'd find other things to do in the summer, like fish or go boating.

EDIT: oh, there is no darn way I would have ever ever ever become a Ravens fan. Ditto with a transplanted Reds.

This is EXACTLY my experience. I too was just as big a Browns fan as I was a Reds fan.

I can't get reinvested in the NFL, and I never would have predicted that.

Unassisted
11-01-2010, 01:53 PM
After high school, I lost interest in the NFL and I pretty much actively avoid it. I could see the same thing happening for me with MLB if there were shenanigans that caused Cincinnati to lose the Reds. Since I could live without following baseball, I'd probably look into how former Reds players were doing once in a while, but not follow the ex-Reds team.

I wouldn't rule out following a replacement Reds team. But I'm not from Cincinnati and the Reds are my only sports loyalty that's based there, so I'd wait and see whether the new Cincinnati team was worthy of my sports interest before committing.

reds1869
11-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Here's another question for you all. If Cincinnati were to get a second MLB team, would you root for both the Reds and the new team? Or would you root for only one of them?

Funny that you bring it up; here is an excellent documentary I recently watched about that very subject.

http://www.scsr.org/Subsites/KellysKillers/Multimedia/Film/V-Intro.htm