PDA

View Full Version : Fashion trend or Electrotherapy?

Brutus
11-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Thought this was interesting. I too have noticed these being worn a lot, and wondered why it was catching on...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/11/01/athletic-rope-necklaces-medicine-fashion-statement-1450413663/?test=faces

bucksfan2
11-02-2010, 09:56 AM
I wear a balance band. And to be honest it doesn't really help. None of this stuff is a magic cure all band.

Redsfan320
11-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Anybody else think the iRenew commercials are hilarious? If you've seen them, you know what I'm talking about.

camisadelgolf
11-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Anybody else think the iRenew commercials are hilarious? If you've seen them, you know what I'm talking about.

Yup. I'm amazed at how stupid the American public is.

Jpup
11-02-2010, 12:24 PM
I have a Phiten necklace just like the Reds wear and have had it for a couple years. I won't go to work without it, but to be honest...

It does absolutely nothing. I just bought it because I needed a necklace and it said Reds. That's it. If you buy them for any other reason, you are being taken advantage of. It wasn't 50 bucks either and I've also had tons of comments on it. Thinking of buying another one since this one is worn out.

Brutus
11-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I wear a balance band. And to be honest it doesn't really help. None of this stuff is a magic cure all band.

I can't speak for these things, but about 5-6 years ago, I tried some magnet therapy for sore shoulders and I felt they worked pretty well. But I agree that these things are probably hit and miss.

Yachtzee
11-02-2010, 05:29 PM
$50 for a piece of rope around your neck? Sounds like a con to me. Fools and their money. . . .

If they really wanted to have electric currents going through their body, why not put one of those strongman machines in the clubhouse. You know, those machines where you grab on to two electrical contacts, which run an increasingly stronger electrical current through your hands and you hold on until you can't hold on any longer. Heck, put one in the bullpen and watch those goofy relievers grab onto it right before coming out to pitch. Just tell them some mumbo jumbo about how the electrical currents improve your performance.

RedsManRick
11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
The placebo effect is a powerful thing.

mbgrayson
11-02-2010, 11:36 PM
The placebo effect is a powerful thing.

And nowadays you can get your placebo over the internet, real cheap....

The Operator
11-03-2010, 04:24 AM
If they really wanted to have electric currents going through their body, why not put one of those strongman machines in the clubhouse. You know, those machines where you grab on to two electrical contacts, which run an increasingly stronger electrical current through your hands and you hold on until you can't hold on any longer.Say whaaat? They actually make such a machine?

You wouldn't catch me doing that in a million years. I forget the exact number, but I believe currents as small as around 30 mA can start causing muscle contractions, which could render someone unable to let go. I believe once you get to around 200 mA, your heart can simply stop.

On top of that, I believe the current path of in one arm, out the other arm would send the current through the heart. Or so I've been told by electricians.

Where is such a machine used? I would hope at the very least, it would have an automatic shutoff at a certain current level.

Roy Tucker
11-03-2010, 08:55 AM
Copper bracelets were big for a while too.