PDA

View Full Version : Jocketty Named Exec of the Year by Sporting News

HalMorrisRules
11-03-2010, 09:30 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2010-11-03/sporting-news-2010-mlb-executive-of-the-year-reds-gm-walt-jocketty

Fon Duc Tow
11-03-2010, 01:59 PM
grats to him, I'd say he earned it.

bounty37h
11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Agreed. Hoping we hear news of another Red getting a big award soon....

Girevik
11-03-2010, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I know how much everyone here thinks Dusty deserves manager of the year!

New York Red
11-03-2010, 03:22 PM
I'll second that! Congrats to Walt, and hopefully more great news to follow.

:beerme:

davereds24
11-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Don't really agree with it but congrats to him. They talk about him signing Chapman and he only pitched in a few games. Rolen signing was last year. All his deadline/post deadline acquisitions failed big time.

Natty Redlocks
11-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Don't really agree with it but congrats to him. They talk about him signing Chapman and he only pitched in a few games. Rolen signing was last year. All his deadline/post deadline acquisitions failed big time.

He was royally ridiculed for getting Rolen last year. He deserves this.

AintlifeGrande
11-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Yeah Walt had planned on paying our future Ace 30 mill with no major league experience and throw him right to the wolves.Geez, I dont understand some people.

Vottomatic
11-03-2010, 06:27 PM
I have nothing against Jocketty, but O'Brien and Krivsky probably deserve more recognition for putting this team together than Walt does.

Lest we forget Mike Lincoln, Willy Tavares, and Corey Patterson.

davereds24
11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Yeah Walt had planned on paying our future Ace 30 mill with no major league experience and throw him right to the wolves.Geez, I dont understand some people.

When did I say I disagree with how they brought him along? Did you even read the article? The only player they talk about is Chapman. This is a 2010 award, if his handful of games pitched is the best they can talk about there are others more deserving.

Last year drafting Leake, trading for Rolen, and signing Rhodes was Walt's best work.

This year his highlights were getting Cabrera, Edmonds, resigning Gomes. That's all.

gedred69
11-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Congrats to Walt, he deserves it more than anyone, except whoever the man in SF is, that collected a bunch of cast-offs and mis-fits and went all the way to the top!

DirtyBaker
11-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Well deserved. This is the 3rd time he's won the award, I wonder if any other team's GM can say the same?

Kingspoint
11-05-2010, 04:50 AM
Congratulations!

He's been running the show extremely well since he got here. It was a tricky situation to take over because the best move was to make few moves, but that would not normally be a tendency of a new GM. He'd want his "own" people. But, Walt recognized that good people were already in place and has been letting it play itself out.

The entire organization is very strong right now. But, I'd like to see them promote the AAA Manager to the Big League Club as Manager. He's knows most of these players better than Baker does.

Todd Gack
11-05-2010, 09:15 AM
I have nothing against Jocketty, but O'Brien and Krivsky probably deserve more recognition for putting this team together than Walt does.

Exactly my feelings. What's helped is that Stubbs has help solidify the CF spot instead of us trying to find one in FA.

Caveman Techie
11-05-2010, 09:55 AM

This is simply not true. Yes, there was a good core of players here that Jocketty inherited, but he added to it also. Here is a post I put on another forum about this very subject:

Traded Ken Griffey JR. for Nick Massett
Traded Ryan Freel for Ramon Hernandez (this was wildly unpopular at the time).
Traded for Rolen
Signed Arthur Rhodes
Signed Johnny Gomes
Signed Orlando Cabrera
Signed Aroldis Chapman
Signed Miquel Cairo
Drafted (and used) Mike Leake

Yes Votto, Phillips, Bruce, and Stubbs were already with the Reds, but as you can see he didn't just sit on his hands.

Roush's socks
11-06-2010, 05:03 AM
This is simply not true. Yes, there was a good core of players here that Jocketty inherited, but he added to it also. Here is a post I put on another forum about this very subject:

Traded Ken Griffey JR. for Nick Massett
Traded Ryan Freel for Ramon Hernandez (this was wildly unpopular at the time).
Traded for Rolen
Signed Arthur Rhodes
Signed Johnny Gomes
Signed Orlando Cabrera
Signed Aroldis Chapman
Signed Miquel Cairo
Drafted (and used) Mike Leake

Yes Votto, Phillips, Bruce, and Stubbs were already with the Reds, but as you can see he didn't just sit on his hands.

Agree. Hernandez, Rolen, Gomes and Cabrera are 4 of the 8 starters last year. Rhodes was an All-star. Cairo played better than anyone expected. Plus he hasn't made any stupid trades or tied up a lot of money in contracts that are dead weight. He is doing a great job

mckbearcat48
11-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Jocketty was washed up....FAIL.