PDA

View Full Version : Sparky Anderson passes away at 76

Chip R
11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Sad news about Sparky.

http://www.wlwt.com/sports/25619360/detail.html (http://www.wlwt.com/sports/25619360/detail.html)

NJReds
11-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Very sad, indeed. Sparky is one of the great personalities that help make baseball a great sport and America's pastime. The best thing about the book "The Machine" was some of the background on Sparky that I hadn't read or heard about before.

Johnny Footstool
11-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Sparky led an extraordinary life, and he stands among the legends of baseball.

I'm glad he'll get to spend the rest of his days in comfort, surrounded by loved ones.

MartyFan
11-03-2010, 12:13 PM
Wow, this is sad. He has always reminded me of my favorite Uncle. Looked old, even when he was young and always seemed to say the right thing to encourage his team and fans.

God Bless, Sparky Anderson!

RichRed
11-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Sparky led an extraordinary life, and he stands among the legends of baseball.

I'm glad he'll get to spend the rest of his days in comfort, surrounded by loved ones.

Indeed.

It's very sad to watch a loved one's mind slip away. My thoughts go out to Sparky and his family.

UKFlounder
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Sad news indeed. :(

muddie
11-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Sparky looked better than I expected when I watched the HOF inductions this year. I am surprised to hear this and echo the sentiments of all you guys. Sparky was a special person in baseball, one of my all time favorite personalities.

HeatherC1212
11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Dementia is what took away one of my favorite actresses, Estelle Getty, a few years ago. It's so sad that it will probably now take away one of my favorite people in baseball. God bless you Sparky. :(

RedsBaron
11-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Very sad, indeed. Sparky is one of the great personalities that help make baseball a great sport and America's pastime. The best thing about the book "The Machine" was some of the background on Sparky that I hadn't read or heard about before.

If I had been blessed to play major league baseball there is no manager in history I would have rather had as my team's manager than Sparky.
I love the Big Red Machine, but as people not all of its members came across in "The Machine" as particularly likeable, especially Rose, Bench and Morgan. In contrast, Sparky (and Tony Perez) came across as simply a decent human being that you would love to have as a friend. I'm glad he was at least able to experience being inducted into the Hall of Fame and having his number retired. God's blessings indeed to Sparky.

PuffyPig
11-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I saw Sparky live giving a speech at a local club for a sportsman dinner in town here a number of years ago. I was very disappointed that it was a "motivational speech" and he neglected to tell tales about the Reds or anything baseball related at all.

I didn't know he had been sick. Very sad for all Reds fans, especially those of us who grew up during the BRM era.

15fan
11-03-2010, 03:03 PM
If I've done the math correctly and Sparky doesn't make it to his next birthday in late February, he will pass away at age...76.

Edit: This Reds fan can think of no other age/number more appropriate for Sparky than 76.

muddie
11-03-2010, 03:24 PM
If I've done the math correctly and Sparky doesn't make it to his next birthday in late February, he will pass away at age...76.

On the Tigers side of the ledger here, they've had a tough couple of years now. The Bird, Harwell, and others in the past 24 months. I know Sparky is big in their family as well.

Johnny Footstool
11-03-2010, 03:30 PM
On the Tigers side of the ledger here, they've had a tough couple of years now. The Bird, Harwell, and other in the past 24 months. I know Sparky is big in their family as well.

He managed the Tigers almost twice as long as he managed the Reds.

Degenerate39
11-03-2010, 03:31 PM
I was there when they retired Sparky's number :-/ but I wasn't old enough to see him manage the Reds

MrCinatit
11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I saw this earlier, and really hated to read it. Shame to see that one of baseball's great mind is no longer as such.

Krusty
11-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Sparky was the one who drove the Big Red Machine. The day he was fired I cried because I thought he got a raw deal from Dick Wagner.

Hate to say it but after reading about his decline, tears are coming to my eyes again.

mth123
11-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Sparky was the one who drove the Big Red Machine. The day he was fired I cried because I thought he got a raw deal from Dick Wagner.

Hate to say it but after reading about his decline, tears are coming to my eyes again.

My thoughts and feelings exactly. This type of ending is particularly tough. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

savafan
11-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Nice write up in the Detroit Free Press also.

http://www.freep.com/article/20101103/SPORTS02/101103019/1358/SPORTS/Sparky-Anderson-in-hospice-care

VR
11-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Say your prayers that none of your loved ones get dementia. It is not pretty.

savafan
11-03-2010, 11:23 PM

No it's not, my soon to be mother-in-law is in stage 3

Ron Madden
11-04-2010, 03:09 AM
I will forever have fond memories of Sparky. He and his family will certainly be in my thoughts and prayers.

:(

RichRed
11-04-2010, 09:37 AM

My dad, before he passed away. It's devastating.

Chip R
11-04-2010, 09:52 AM
75 is pretty young for this kind of thing, is it not? My grandmother has it and she's in her late 90s.

cumberlandreds
11-04-2010, 10:25 AM
75 is pretty young for this kind of thing, is it not? My grandmother has it and she's in her late 90s.

It varies. Generally its older people in their 80's and above. I have a cousin who is in his 60's and I recently found out that he has some form of Dementia or Alzheimers. Very sad disease. You really lose the person before they are dead.

Chip R
11-04-2010, 10:56 AM
It varies. Generally its older people in their 80's and above. I have a cousin who is in his 60's and I recently found out that he has some form of Dementia or Alzheimers. Very sad disease. You really lose the person before they are dead.

It makes me wonder if Sparky had some concussions as a player. There have been studies that show that people who have had concussions tend to suffer from early dementia.

Sea Ray
11-04-2010, 11:40 AM
He managed the Tigers almost twice as long as he managed the Reds.

He sure did. Managing any team for 17 years is quite a feat but it wasn't a Hall of Fame performance. He only had two first place finishes in those 17 yrs. Of course it is a shame he ever got booted from this town.

76 just doesn't seem that old...

OnBaseMachine
11-04-2010, 01:04 PM
From Paul Daugherty:

John Bench told me last night that Sparky Anderson has stopped eating and the family has declined to have him fed through a tube. Among the most beloved figures in our local sports history is about to leave us.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/daugherty/2010/11/04/the-morning-line-114-2/

Danny Serafini
11-04-2010, 01:48 PM
ESPN Radio has just reported Sparky has died.

OnBaseMachine
11-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Sparky Anderson has died at age 76, the #Reds announced.

http://twitter.com/TomGroeschen

So sad. I hate hearing that. RIP Sparky. You were a legend.

Johnny Footstool
11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Sad news, but his suffering and his family's suffering is over. He had a wonderful life.

Red in Chicago
11-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Very sad news indeed. RIP Sparky.

cumberlandreds
11-04-2010, 02:05 PM
R.I.P. Sparky.

He was the perfect manager for the players that made up the Big Red Machine. He was a players manager and he knew who the stars were that would carry the team. I remember him basically saying that he had one set of rules for the stars like Rose,Bench Morgan and Perez and rules for the others. It worked for that team. He was also an innovator in using the bullpen. Back then it was rare that a starting pitcher didn't have more complete games than not. Sparkly pushed that aside and used his bullpen to the max. That '75 bullpen was terrific with Borbon,Carroll,Eastwick and McEanany and I don't think that team would have won without Sparky using it to its full extent. He was just seemed like a fine person both on and off the field. He is the first key person of those great 70's team to die. We have been blessed to have them all living for as long as we have. My best goes out to his family and friends. He is easily one of the greats of the game.

redsfan30
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM

NJReds
11-04-2010, 02:13 PM
RIP Sparky.

Reds Fanatic
11-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Very sad news. He was one of the great people in the history of the game.

RedsBaron
11-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Sad news, but his suffering and his family's suffering is over. He had a wonderful life.

Yes he did. From everything that I've read about Sparky he also appreciated how blessed he had been. R.I.P.

Matt700wlw
11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Very sad news. RIP Sparky. Say hi to Joe for us

mbgrayson
11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Very sad. My sympathies to Sparky's family and friends.

Thanks for all the great memories Sparky!

HeatherC1212
11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Such a sad day. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. RIP Sparky :(

BTW-Two of my coworkers didn't know who Sparky was when I told them this news and I'm still flabbergasted how you can live in Cincy for any length of time and not have at least heard of him. :eek:

lollipopcurve
11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
This may call for a rereading of The Main Spark.

He captured Cincinnati's imagination before the Big Red Machine did. He did the driving -- right onto our breakfast tables and into our TV sets.

Thanks Sparky -- rest in peace.

westofyou
11-04-2010, 02:29 PM
And there goes Captain Hook down the dugout tunnel one last time.

WMR
11-04-2010, 02:30 PM
This makes me really sad.

He was such a sweet person. :( :( :(

UKFlounder
11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
Terribly sad news.

redsfandan
11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
It's a sad day in Reds land. Thanks for everything Sparky.

Reds4Life
11-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Rest well Sparky, you will be missed.

RFS62
11-04-2010, 02:44 PM
A very sad day for Reds fans and all of baseball.

RIP Sparky.

Chip R
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
http://zvbxrpl.blogspot.com/2008/06/wkrp-episode-sparky.html

MartyFan
11-04-2010, 02:45 PM
God Bless, Sparky Anderson!

Thanks for doing your part to make my childhood great!

Reds/Flyers Fan
11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
RIP Sparky

Homer Bailey
11-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Photo Gallery for your enjoyment. RIP.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2DGUDC/sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1011/sparky.anderson.rare.photos/content.1.html/r:t

George Anderson
11-04-2010, 02:51 PM
I am not one to show alot of feelings or emotion in my life let alone on a message board but this is a very tough thing for me to deal with. The game of baseball is very important to me and the BRM is probally as responsible as anything for me loving the game like I do. I usually don't make a big deal over an older person dying because I feel like it is a blessing for them to have lived a long life but for some reason this death is tough for me. The only reason I can think of is that Sparky is really one of the first members of the BRM to die so I guess I see him dying as part of my childhood dying.

I posted this in a thread last month.

Re: What is the Significance of Your Username?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lurk and participate on alot of message boards and I always thought it was cool when posters would use the name of a sports star as their username. When I found this site I wanted to honor my favorite team the BRM by using one of their names as a username. After tossing around all the names Pete, Johnny, Tony , Davey, Joe etc.. I couldn't make a decision because I liked them all. Finally I decided on George Lee "Sparky" Anderson as my username in large part because not only is he a HOFer but from my few experiences meeting him and corresponding thru the mail to be a very great person. Personalities mean little to me when judging a professional athlete but in this one case I just found Sparky and his personality to be the clincher for my decision.

I could have went with just "Sparky Anderson" as my username but I chose "George Anderson" instead. My thinking was if you are truly a Reds fan then you will know who George Anderson was.

RichRed
11-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Sparky was one of those rare celebrities: a true character who also HAD character.

RIP, George.

Unassisted
11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Tough loss for us Reds fans with fond memories of that era. But it should remind us that the players on our beloved BRM teams are getting up there in years, too. Take time to appreciate them while they're still around.

Sea Ray
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Hal McCoy was on WLW today and he had the inside story on why Sparky was fired in 1978. He said Dick Wagner wanted to fire two of Sparky's coaches and Spark, being very loyal, said "if you fire them you might as well fire me", so Wagner did exactly that.

Doesn't sound like it was a very well thought out decision. I never heard exactly why he was fired. So far as I know, Dick Wagner never got any votes for the Hall of Fame...

UKFlounder
11-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I was surprised he was only 76. I know Pete is in his mid or late 60s, so there was not a lot of separation in age between Spark and the guys.

I was born in 1973, so I have no memory of him managing the Reds, but I certainly knew of the Big Red Machine and Sparky still is synonymous with that group at least to me. It's weird that someone I did not see in Cincinnati makes me feel sooooo sad upon his death.

Tough loss for us Reds fans with fond memories of that era. But it should remind us that the players on our beloved BRM teams are getting up there in years, too. Take time to appreciate them while they're still around.

Phhhl
11-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Loved Sparky. His managerial style would have been the source of some heated discussions on RedsZone had the board existed in his day. Of course, he was the Reds manager in the first MLB game I ever saw in person. You could see his white hair from the Red seats. He had such charisma with his mannerisms and way of speaking. He may say he "fired himself", but Wagner knew what he was doing when he put Sparky on the spot like that. If he had managed the Reds all of his 27 years or so, I would not have minded at all. I am glad he never managed against us.

RIP Sparky

Wheelhouse
11-04-2010, 04:19 PM

reds1869
11-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Very sad news. I recently read both Game Six and The Machine. Sparky's vibrant personality shines through in both and I was reminded of why he is so beloved. R.I.P.

macro
11-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I think I read once that Sparky never moved from the modest home he bought before he was a major league manager, although he probably could have afforded a mansion. In recent years he had enjoyed raising flowers at that same home. Fame never got the best of him.

Reds Freak
11-04-2010, 04:33 PM
I bet him and Nuxy are having a good time up there right now...

LINEDRIVER
11-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Hal McCoy was on WLW today and he had the inside story on why Sparky was fired in 1978. He said Dick Wagner wanted to fire two of Sparky's coaches and Spark, being very loyal, said "if you fire them you might as well fire me", so Wagner did exactly that.

Doesn't sound like it was a very well thought out decision. I never heard exactly why he was fired. So far as I know, Dick Wagner never got any votes for the Hall of Fame...

I have an audio tape of Bob Trumpy's "Sports Talk" radio program broadcast over Cincinnati's WCKY on the night that Sparky was fired. I remember being at work and hearing that the Reds had scheduled a news conference. I, and many others, were under the impression that the Reds were going to announce the signing of free-agent Lee Lacy. I turned on the radio for the news conference and was TOTALLY shocked when the news came out that Sparky had been fired. I made it a point to record Trumpy's show that evening. Sparky was a guest on the show and he was a total gentleman. Sparky did not go into the details of his firing. He tried consoling a distraught Bob Trumpy with, "Bobby, Bobby, Bobby ....don't you worry about me. I'll be fine". He went on to say that Dick Wagner was his friend and will always be his friend.

RIP George 'Sparky' Anderson.

RedFanAlways1966
11-04-2010, 04:52 PM
RIP, Sparky. You were a legend IMO. :thumbup:

WMR
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Nice video of Sparky at the 25 year reunion of the 1984 WS Champion Tigers.

YouTube - Sparky Anderson and the 1984 Detroit Tigers 25th anniversary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJQBKlkrnIw)

MrCinatit
11-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Thank you for the memories, Sparky.

traderumor
11-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Goodbye, Captain Hook. When I hear Brenneman interview the manager before the game, ever since Sparky, I can still hear his gentle voice doing "The Main Spark." Man, what a blessed baseball fan I am to get to grow up learning baseball from the BRM.

But also sticking with me was the criticism until they won it all in 1975. "Choke...couldn't win the big one...always the Bridesmaid..." even at 8-10 yrs. old I knew folks were full of it!

marcshoe
11-04-2010, 06:27 PM
A lot of memories. Somehow the one that sticks is of Jack Billingham giving him the ball in a way that let everyone know he didn't want to leave the game. I always thought Sparky's use of the pitching staff was masterful.

I became a Reds fan in '72, and still remember the disillusionment when the Reds inexplicably fired him. To me, that marked the absolute end of the Big Red Machine. Up until then, I had hopes of a revival.

Sure they won after that ('79, '81), but it wasn't the machine without the Main Spark.

Tom Servo
11-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Before my time but still a legend in Cincinnati Reds baseball. RIP Sparky.

15fan
11-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Being an umpire in the next realm just got a lot more difficult.

Keep after 'em, Sparky.

The Operator
11-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Very sad news. :( RIP Sparky.

mth123
11-04-2010, 07:44 PM
I'm saddened by Sparky's passing, but it was a blessing he went quickly. RIP to a great Manager and a great man.

Ghosts of 1990
11-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the memories. Rest in peace, Legend. I'm sorry I didn't see more of your career.

savafan
11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
RIP Captain Hook

Joseph
11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Goodbye and goodnight sweet man. RIP Sparky

_Sir_Charles_
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Pieces of my youth...slipping away. Joe and now Sparky. I can't even envision my childhood without those two remarkable men. :cry:

Spitball
11-04-2010, 09:41 PM
My son called me at work today to tell me the news. It is a sad day.

He was on the old Larry Claflin/Cliff Keane WEEI sports talk show sometime between his stint with the Reds and being hired by the Tigers. I called in and talked to him about Tony Perez's trade to the Expos. He seemed to appreciate a real fan of his in Boston. It was a great honor.

OldRightHander
11-04-2010, 10:50 PM
ESPN Classic is showing game 7 from '75 right now. Fitting tribute.

Heath
11-04-2010, 11:01 PM
RIP, Georgie Anderson.

Too bad we couldn't get a Borgman cartoon one more time.

Mainspark
11-04-2010, 11:15 PM
In March of '78, I attended a Reds-Dodgers spring training game at the Dodgers camp in Vero Beach.
Only a few of the regulars had made the cross-state trip from Tampa, and given that it was an exhibition, I can't recall a single thing about that day's game.
I do remember, though, how Sparky made the players wait for him on the team bus for 15 or 20 minutes after the game while he made certain that everyone there who wanted his autograph, and there were dozens of us who did, received one.

RBA
11-04-2010, 11:16 PM
RIP Sparky

ESPN said, ...the 1975, 1976 Reds "were among the greatest in the National League history". What about among the best in all of baseball?

Topcat
11-05-2010, 12:49 AM
God Bless Sparky RIP

cincyinco
11-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Godspeed Sparky..

Ron Madden
11-05-2010, 03:20 AM
There are some Fans who say Sparky was lucky to get the chance of Managing The Big Red Machine.

Truth is Cincinnati Fans were the lucky ones.

GAC
11-05-2010, 04:55 AM
Sad news. Thanks for the memories Sparky. Those will never fade away. I hope GABP and the Red's HOF have a nice tribute to him this next season. I'll do my best to be there.

Deepred05
11-05-2010, 07:16 AM
I used to love the way he pronounced "Cincinnata". One of my fondest memories was meeting him as a kid. Never been treated as well by any celebrity to this day.

Sea Ray
11-05-2010, 09:56 AM
One of my fondest memories was meeting him as a kid. Never been treated as well by any celebrity to this day.

This experience seems to be the norm from folks who met him. I don't think it's a coincidence that he had extraordinary people skills. In fact I think that's what made him a great manager. I never took him to be an encyclopedia of batting averages and ERAs nor was he a Ph D of any kind but he did have what it took to manage.

SirFelixCat
11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
RIP and Godspeed, Sparky!

Az Red
11-05-2010, 11:30 AM
A great man and a great Manager. RIP, Sparky.

RichRed
11-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Nice little article by Steve Rushin.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/steve_rushin/11/04/sparky.anderson/index.html?xid=siextra_110510

WVPacman
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
RIP Sparky,you will definetly be missed!!

Bob Borkowski
11-06-2010, 10:28 AM
I have an audio tape of Bob Trumpy's "Sports Talk" radio program broadcast over Cincinnati's WCKY on the night that Sparky was fired. I remember being at work and hearing that the Reds had scheduled a news conference. I, and many others, were under the impression that the Reds were going to announce the signing of free-agent Lee Lacy. I turned on the radio for the news conference and was TOTALLY shocked when the news came out that Sparky had been fired. I made it a point to record Trumpy's show that evening. Sparky was a guest on the show and he was a total gentleman. Sparky did not go into the details of his firing. He tried consoling a distraught Bob Trumpy with, "Bobby, Bobby, Bobby ....don't you worry about me. I'll be fine". He went on to say that Dick Wagner was his friend and will always be his friend.

RIP George 'Sparky' Anderson.

On the Bill Cunningham radio show on WLW the day of Sparky's death, Marty Brennaman quoted Sparky as saying that the source of the firing came from a much higher level than Dick Wagner. So I guess we're left with the name of Bob Howsam? Makes sense, I guess.

However, in recent years Sparky said that actually he fired himself by refusing the directions of those above him.

Anyway, so long, Sparky. You were special...one of a kind.

George Anderson
11-06-2010, 12:14 PM
On the Bill Cunningham radio show on WLW the day of Sparky's death, Marty Brennaman quoted Sparky as saying that the source of the firing came from a much higher level than Dick Wagner. So I guess we're left with the name of Bob Howsam? Makes sense, I guess.

However, in recent years Sparky said that actually he fired himself by refusing the directions of those above him.

Anyway, so long, Sparky. You were special...one of a kind.

I thought Howsam was out of the picture in 78'.

Paging WOY.

Mainspark
11-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I think Howsam had moved into an emeritus/advisory role by the time of Sparky's firing. Would Marty be referring to ownership at the time?
Howsam returned to active duty circa 1983 after Dick Wagner had turned the team into cellar-dwellers. He signed Dave Parker, brought Pete in as player-manager and fairly quickly returned the franchise to respectability.

Bob Borkowski
11-06-2010, 12:45 PM
I think Howsam had moved into an emeritus/advisory role by the time of Sparky's firing. Would Marty be referring to ownership at the time?
Howsam returned to active duty circa 1983 after Dick Wagner had turned the team into cellar-dwellers. He signed Dave Parker, brought Pete in as player-manager and fairly quickly returned the franchise to respectability.

Here is a direct quote from Sparky. It is part of a piece by John Erardi and I think it throws some light on the question:

“I’ve seen people write and say, ‘Bob Howsam fired you,’ ” recalled Anderson. “Or ‘Dick Wagner (Howsam’s No. 2 man) fired you.’

“No, they didn’t. I fired myself. I was told to let three of my coaches go, and I wouldn’t do it. I’d brought them in, and I wasn’t going to take them out. They had no choice but to fire me. I wouldn’t do what they wanted.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101104/SPT04/311040114/Reds-great-Sparky-Anderson-dies

camisadelgolf
01-22-2011, 02:18 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110122&content_id=16482262&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

The Tigers will honor Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson from a patch on their right sleeves to the retirement of his No. 11 on the brick wall at Comerica Park.

George Anderson
01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110122&content_id=16482262&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

A little late.

George Anderson
01-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Are the Reds planning any type of uniform patch or ceremony?

Mainspark
01-23-2011, 12:08 AM
I saw somewhere that they would be wearing a black patch that reads "Sparky."
They did the same thing in the 2008 season to note the loss of Joe Nuxhall.

camisadelgolf
01-23-2011, 04:17 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2317492&postcount=94
:cool:

muddie
01-23-2011, 05:12 AM
This whole thing with Sparky has been handled very poorly by Detroit. Having denied Sparky the enjoyment of participating in this when he was alive, the timing of this is a total disgrace. I wonder what his survivors think of this.

RedsBaron
01-23-2011, 08:24 AM
A little late.

Yeah, give people roses when they are alive to enjoy them.

Mainspark
01-23-2011, 09:37 AM

I guess I should have specified the Reds had already indicated they would be wearing a "Sparky" patch this season.
Given the way the Tigers treated Sparky since his retirement, I see anything that franchise does in the wake of his death as being motiviated by marketing concerns.

Sea Ray
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
This whole thing with Sparky has been handled very poorly by Detroit. Having denied Sparky the enjoyment of participating in this when he was alive, the timing of this is a total disgrace. I wonder what his survivors think of this.

By the whole thing, what do you mean outside of his number being retired? I agree with you there but otherwise, I don't see any other issues. As for the number, understand that the Tigers don't retire numbers easily. They still haven't retired Alan Trammell or Lou Whitacre's number whereas the Reds have retired Dave Concepcion's.The Tigers have never retired a manager's number for the genuis of which he managed, Ty Cobb notwithstanding.

However, let me tell you, ever since Sparky died someone in Detroit has paid for a billboard which has his picture, years of life on it and I think something like Thanks, Sparky. It is on I-94 close to where I-96 breaks off. I'm not aware of any such tribute in Cincinnati. Hope I'm wrong and just missed it 'cause it'd be a shame to be outclassed by Detroit.

George Anderson
01-23-2011, 01:37 PM
It would be nice if the Reds had a moment of silence for him on OD or maybe have a his widow or family member throw the first ball out.

Jpup
01-23-2011, 02:01 PM
It would be nice if the Reds had a moment of silence for him on OD or maybe have a his widow or family member throw the first ball out.

I imagine they will. Mr. Castellini and the current Reds brass are a classy bunch when it comes to their own.

Mainspark
01-23-2011, 05:40 PM
By the whole thing, what do you mean outside of his number being retired? I agree with you there but otherwise, I don't see any other issues. As for the number, understand that the Tigers don't retire numbers easily. They still haven't retired Alan Trammell or Lou Whitacre's number whereas the Reds have retired Dave Concepcion's.The Tigers have never retired a manager's number for the genuis of which he managed, Ty Cobb notwithstanding.

However, let me tell you, ever since Sparky died someone in Detroit has paid for a billboard which has his picture, years of life on it and I think something like Thanks, Sparky. It is on I-94 close to where I-96 breaks off. I'm not aware of any such tribute in Cincinnati. Hope I'm wrong and just missed it 'cause it'd be a shame to be outclassed by Detroit.

Here's a Detroit journalist's blog entry about the less-than-warm relationship between Sparky and latter-day Tiger ownership.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/01/22/stoneys-blog-too-little-too-late/

RichRed
02-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Sparky was born 80 years ago today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PwWHDUDbk&feature=youtu.be