PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo picked up

PeteRoseBelongs
11-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Well Arroyo had his option year picked up today and they are reporting that a extention would be in the works.

now we wait and see about the others

DaytonFlyer
11-03-2010, 03:57 PM
No to an extension please.

FlyerFanatic
11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
gomes option picked up too. which means hes prob starting LF next year...

redsfan_12
11-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Cabrera and Harang not picked up. Good news for Janish.

bshall2105
11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
If Cabrera doesn't come back I think the Reds will try to find somebody else to play shortstop. They seem reluctant to let Janish get the majority of the innings.

Vottomatic
11-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Glad they picked up Arroyo's option and hope they sign him to a reasonable extension.

A little surprised they picked up Gomes, but his contract is reasonable. I just dread watching Dusty start him 90% of the time in LF next season. I think we can do better offensively/defensively, even though I like Jonny as a clubhouse guy.

Not surprised by Harang or Cabrera. And I hope they give the job to the amazing defensive ability of Janish, and decent offensive ability.......yet they seem unwilling to give him a chance.

Any word on Hernandez at catcher?

1990REDS
11-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Glad they picked up Arroyo's option and hope they sign him to a reasonable extension.

A little surprised they picked up Gomes, but his contract is reasonable. I just dread watching Dusty start him 90% of the time in LF next season. I think we can do better offensively/defensively, even though I like Jonny as a clubhouse guy.

Not surprised by Harang or Cabrera. And I hope they give the job to the amazing defensive ability of Janish, and decent offensive ability.......yet they seem unwilling to give him a chance.

Any word on Hernandez at catcher?

I pretty much agree with this post, escpecially the Gomes part. I like his attitude and clubhouse presence but i think that thiers better options out thier. Your probably a little higher on Janish than I am. In fact I dont even think hes a decent hitter, I think hes well below an average MLB hitter but his defence is outstanding. But thats just me nit picking, overall i think were on the same page.:)

PeteRoseBelongs
11-03-2010, 06:51 PM
I pretty much agree with this post, escpecially the Gomes part. I like his attitude and clubhouse presence but i think that thiers better options out thier. Your probably a little higher on Janish than I am. In fact I dont even think hes a decent hitter, I think hes well below an average MLB hitter but his defence is outstanding. But thats just me nit picking, overall i think were on the same page.:)

I know that this isn't what any of you hear but compared to some of the very high priced players at that position last year Gomes numbers were better. I am actually going to try and find the report that I read on this and post it. I was actually very surprised. I would love to see Johnny Damon in Cincy. I think that the difference in his numbers between New york and Detroit were new york was a great park for his talents and well Detroit wasn't. Put him in our uni and I think that those numbers rebound. And he's a proven top of the order guy

lonewolf371
11-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Well he beat out Orlando last year in OBP, SLG, and OPS. It remains to be seen how he'll perform over the course of a season, but if he maintains his .260 BA he's well over the Mendoza line. Add in his great defense and he seems to be a serviceable MLB shortstop. He actually had a positive WAR even with his .211 season in 2009.

Hustleman
11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
glad the option was picked up. still undecided on the extension part though

Hillsdale87
11-03-2010, 08:48 PM
I like bringing him back for next year, but I'm hoping that it just stays at one year. Barring injury, by 2012, Chapman, Leake, Wood, Cueto, Volquez, and Bailey should be ready to take over the rotation. And there's already a surplus with those six, who are significantly cheaper. I know it takes more than just five starters to make it through the season, but we have serviceable guys in AAA like Maloney and Lecure who can be counted on for a couple starts. Barring injury, I would like to see the Reds let Arroyo go and spend the money on an area of greater need.

David Cubbedge
11-03-2010, 09:10 PM
How I read it; the Reds are at a 58M payroll right now without offering arbitration to the following players yet:

Votto
Volquez
Cueto
Bray
Nix (3rd)
Burton (2nd)

Last year, the payroll was at $76,151,500.

gedred69
11-03-2010, 09:14 PM
What occurred is exactly what we all expected. eh? I would love to see a Johnny Damon playing LF and leading off, but at the same time it's tough to argue with Gomes' numbers for the $$. Sans a LF that can either support batting behind Votto or lead off, and the $$ required to sign a Free Agent to fill the bill, It falls to Gomes. Maybe somebody emerges from the System, (Sappelt), or at least a viable Left-hand bat platoon (Dorn)? Dunno, but I expect some real interesting events at Spring Training, if not before..

1990REDS
11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Well he beat out Orlando last year in OBP, SLG, and OPS. It remains to be seen how he'll perform over the course of a season, but if he maintains his .260 BA he's well over the Mendoza line. Add in his great defense and he seems to be a serviceable MLB shortstop. He actually had a positive WAR even with his .211 season in 2009.

you may be right. All I know is that the guy plays outstanding gold glove caliber defense and still can get a full time or even a part time gig at the major league level at a position were you dont even have to be that good with the bat to play at. Heck, thier were times this year when i forgot he was even on the team. And I know there are some that will blame Dusty like he has some blood vendeta against Janish, but maybe its because all the organizations higher ups that have been around the game thier whole life, that have seen Janish in practice, seen him hit in the cage on a daily basis, seen him in the clubhouse, (basically all the stuff that none of us on this board are able to see) feel that he cant hit at this level on an everyday basis.

DirtyBaker
11-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I like these moves realistically but idealistically I'd want to look at other options for left field. There's only so much cash to go around and Gomes gives us good bang for the buck, but it would be so helpful to have a big bat or leadoff hitter. There has to be an assumption that Stubbs is going to get better and be able to leadoff, otherwise it would have been smarter to go for a LF who could bat leadoff. It does mean Heisey will be regulated to backup OF - and he'll get lots of opportunities if anyone goes down like last year.

I have faith in Janish. He's improved from the plate every year and put up better numbers than O-Cab. This is going to be an even stronger defensive team with Janish in the everyday lineup.

I wonder where Harang will land and if he'll be a starter again?

Girevik
11-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm not a big fan of the idea of signing Arroyo to an extension. I think the Reds have enough young arms they can rely on in 2012 and beyond. I like Arroyo, but I think that money could be better spent elsewhere.

arkimadee
11-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Arroyo is the kind of pitcher that he still probably has 8 or 9 years left with the way he pitches.. Like Jamie Moyer

brm7675
11-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I am mistified about this love affair with Gomes. He had 2 hot months and the rest of the year he was horrible. He is a danger to himself in LF and just not an everyday player. Yes his price his cheap, but really can't Heisey pretty much match his numbers and provide much better D in the field?

lonewolf371
11-04-2010, 11:46 AM
I am mistified about this love affair with Gomes. He had 2 hot months and the rest of the year he was horrible. He is a danger to himself in LF and just not an everyday player. Yes his price his cheap, but really can't Heisey pretty much match his numbers and provide much better D in the field?
Maybe not for a full season, yet. This way they have a more experienced guy out there in Gomes and Heisey has the opportunity to platoon and beat him out over the course of the season if he plays well. So, if Heisey's ready he'll be out Gomes and be starting by the end of the season, and if Heisey isn't ready you still have Gomes to play.

Don't know how we got on Gomes from Arroyo.

gedred69
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Maybe not for a full season, yet. This way they have a more experienced guy out there in Gomes and Heisey has the opportunity to platoon and beat him out over the course of the season if he plays well. So, if Heisey's ready he'll be out Gomes and be starting by the end of the season, and if Heisey isn't ready you still have Gomes to play.

Don't know how we got on Gomes from Arroyo.

There are alot of options. I don't see Gomes as an everyday player, nor do I see Heisey as such. I have always thought a Gomes-Dorn platoon as viable. Given the Reds have stifled Dorn for whatever reasons , maybe as I previously posted, Sappelt is the man, who can fill that lead-off position this team so desperately needs. (I love finding the needed pieces from within).

11-06-2010, 12:37 AM
How I read it; the Reds are at a 58M payroll right now without offering arbitration to the following players yet:

Votto
Volquez
Cueto
Bray
Nix (3rd)
Burton (2nd)

Last year, the payroll was at $76,151,500.

That's about right. There's between $3-8M available, depending on how the arbitration players play out, assuming no bump in payroll. Jocketty already confirmed there will be a bump, but didn't say how much.

Last season he said that there would not be a bump, and there was one of about $3M. So I would think that, considering a bump in attendance last season, and an expected bump in season ticket sales this season, it would be somewhere in the $10M range.

That would give the Reds between $13-18M max to work with to improve the team. Really not enough to get a big name free agent, but enough to upgrade at key positions. Now if they could trade Cordero...

Roush's socks
11-06-2010, 03:55 AM
That's about right. There's between $3-8M available, depending on how the arbitration players play out, assuming no bump in payroll. Jocketty already confirmed there will be a bump, but didn't say how much.

Last season he said that there would not be a bump, and there was one of about $3M. So I would think that, considering a bump in attendance last season, and an expected bump in season ticket sales this season, it would be somewhere in the $10M range.

That would give the Reds between $13-18M max to work with to improve the team. Really not enough to get a big name free agent, but enough to upgrade at key positions. Now if they could trade Cordero...

Reds are in a pretty good position with their payroll for next year. I think the Reds are more likely to make a trade than sign a big name FA. They could part with one of their young starters like Leake or Bailey, plus Alonso and Gomes(cheap contract) would be a pretty good offer for a team looking to rebuild.

Vottomatic
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
A trade for a big name would require the Reds swapping big contracts with another team, packaged with prospects. The Reds would need to free up payroll space to take on a big contract. And I seriously doubt they want to with many of the young guys headed to arbitration and bigger contracts down the road.

malcontent
11-06-2010, 02:39 PM
Given the Reds have stifled Dorn for whatever reasons , maybe as I previously posted, Sappelt is the man, who can fill that lead-off position this team so desperately needs. (I love finding the needed pieces from within).
Yeah, I'd like to know what the FO projects for Sappelt.

11-08-2010, 01:51 AM
A trade for a big name would require the Reds swapping big contracts with another team, packaged with prospects. The Reds would need to free up payroll space to take on a big contract. And I seriously doubt they want to with many of the young guys headed to arbitration and bigger contracts down the road.

That depends on how you define big. They can handle $10-12M, they can't handle $15-20M. Maybe something in the middle if it was the right guy, but doubtful.

lonewolf371
11-08-2010, 02:11 AM
There are alot of options. I don't see Gomes as an everyday player, nor do I see Heisey as such. I have always thought a Gomes-Dorn platoon as viable. Given the Reds have stifled Dorn for whatever reasons , maybe as I previously posted, Sappelt is the man, who can fill that lead-off position this team so desperately needs. (I love finding the needed pieces from within).
I don't see Gomes as an everyday player, either. He's around or below replacement level. However, he's quite cheap and economically makes sense if nothing else materializes that fits the Reds.