PDA

View Full Version : Marty Brennaman on verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years

OnBaseMachine
11-03-2010, 05:20 PM
From Hal McCoy:

HALL OF FAME broadcaster Marty Brennaman is on the verge of re-upping with the Reds for three more years, which will give him 40 years as the team’s radio guy. And he says he’d like to do it six more years.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2010/11/03/sparky_anderson_modesty_served.html

I'm glad. Marty is still one of the best in the game, IMO.

Col_ IN Reds fan
11-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Count me on board for this also.

Unassisted
11-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm a little surprised this wouldn't be the last 3 year deal. Marty's curmudgeonly shtick is starting to feel like it's coming from a guy who has one eye on retirement. 6 years is a lot of victory laps. ;)

BCubb2003
11-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Winning may have revived his interest in continuing. I say give him two years with performance clauses.

Degenerate39
11-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I hope he makes it 50 years with the team

savafan
11-03-2010, 11:33 PM
Winning may have revived his interest in continuing. I say give him two years with performance clauses.

Based on # of innings?

kbrake
11-03-2010, 11:42 PM
He can get on my nerves without doubt but his calls in big spots are always great. I know after the game in May where the Heisey to Cabrera to Hernandez relay ended the game against the Cards I got in my car and drove around just so I'd get to hear Martys call. His call of Jay Bruce's division clinching HR is my ringtone and my alarm sound. Guy makes some great calls.

nemesis
11-04-2010, 05:03 AM
To be honest, it'll be weird to turn on 700WLW and not hear Marty's voice during the game. Anyone that every has been a fan of Reds baseball knows who Marty is. The Reds franchise understands that he is a big big part of their #1 radio rankings.

Other than the Dodgers I can't think of another team who builds around their main radio guy the way the Reds do.

So if he wants 15 more years I am all for it.

redsmetz
11-04-2010, 08:43 AM
I'd very much like to see Jim Keltsch (sp?) paired with Marty more. He seems to keep a brake on MB's more sour tones, although it's also hard to say how much of that might have been the better results of this last season. Brantley seems to have the same effect, keeping Marty's dourness under control these days.

Redsfan320
11-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I'd very much like to see Jim Keltsch (sp?) paired with Marty more. He seems to keep a brake on MB's more sour tones, although it's also hard to say how much of that might have been the better results of this last season. Brantley seems to have the same effect, keeping Marty's dourness under control these days.

First, yeah, it's "Kelch". Second, I prefer Brantley for color, but with Marty taking so many innings off these days, yeah, overall, I prefer Kelch because he's much better (than Cowboy) at PBP.

Hoosier Red
11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
To be honest, it'll be weird to turn on 700WLW and not hear Marty's voice during the game. Anyone that every has been a fan of Reds baseball knows who Marty is. The Reds franchise understands that he is a big big part of their #1 radio rankings.

Other than the Dodgers I can't think of another team who builds around their main radio guy the way the Reds do.

So if he wants 15 more years I am all for it.

One reason is that radio's not the main way for a team to promote itself anymore. When a team is figuring out its media "team" the television guys are much more of a commercial for the team. The radio team for most teams now is the guys who weren't good enough to do television.
This is a shame for me because I really like listening to baseball games. I like listening to all sports, but baseball's really the one that can come through the best.

OnBaseMachine
11-04-2010, 01:41 PM

Agreed. Jim Kelch is a joy to listen to. I hope he lands a full-time job with the Reds soon either on radio or TV.

Sea Ray
11-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I wonder how many games Marty's new contract will call for? It sure seems like he took a lot of games off last year. My guess is Marty will ask to continue working fewer and fewer games

cumberlandreds
11-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I wonder how many games Marty's new contract will call for? It sure seems like he took a lot of games off last year. My guess is Marty will ask to continue working fewer and fewer games

It really wouldn't surprise me if he does a Vin Scully and just does home games and road games that are close by. He's earned that consideration and if he wants to do something like that then he should be allowed to do it.

SunDeck
11-04-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm just glad the Reds have a good chance to field a quality ball club for those next three years.
Listening to a disgusted Marty is no fun.

Blimpie
11-04-2010, 10:22 PM
It was nice to hear Marty telling some good Sparky Anderson stories today.

Ron Madden
11-05-2010, 04:37 AM
It really wouldn't surprise me if he does a Vin Scully and just does home games and road games that are close by. He's earned that consideration and if he wants to do something like that then he should be allowed to do it.

I believe Marty would rather take his off days on home stands, he loves playing all those golf courses on the road for free. ;)

Matt700wlw
11-06-2010, 04:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=c0MAydZ0o-8

REDREAD
11-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Based on # of innings?

Or based on number of disparging remarks against his own team?

Even with the team winning, Marty was a grouch. He was bashing Bruce on the clinching game and riding him hard, until Bruce hit the HR. He has little patience for the rookie pitchers, thinking they can throw the perfect pitch at will, if they'd only try harder. I remember a time earlier in the season when the team was in first place, yet Marty had to grumble "And once again, the Reds fail to get to 10 games over 500".. :thumbdown

The nice thing about this year was that Marty took more breaks/vacations. It improved the quality of the radio broadcast.

Unassisted
11-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Even with the team winning, Marty was a grouch. He was bashing Bruce on the clinching game and riding him hard, until Bruce hit the HR. He has little patience for the rookie pitchers, thinking they can throw the perfect pitch at will, if they'd only try harder. I remember a time earlier in the season when the team was in first place, yet Marty had to grumble "And once again, the Reds fail to get to 10 games over 500".. :thumbdown Well stated. IMO, Marty gets a pass from too many of us because of beloved childhood memories or a perception that he has tenure and should be permitted to say whatever he pleases.

Despite having never played an inning of ML baseball, Marty does all of that griping and never, ever admits that any of it turned out to be wrong. I wish sometimes that there were transcripts of the game broadcasts, so that we could read his exact words (and discuss them in a more objective way) and the Reds FO could hold him more accountable. A memorable call of a walk-off home run should not overshadow 8-1/2 innings of slagging on the home team for being behind on the scoreboard.

savafan
11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
At least they haven't turned to Tracy Jones on the broadcast team... yet...

REDREAD
11-10-2010, 11:31 AM
At least they haven't turned to Tracy Jones on the broadcast team... yet...

Honestly, at this point, I think I would prefer Tracy Jones.. At least he still likes the game of baseball and wouldn't consider it such a major chore to show up for work.

Marty is clearly burned out. I don't know if he still does the job for the money or if he feels the franchise won't survive without him, but he should've retired years ago and enjoyed his life.

Redsfan320
11-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Honestly, at this point, I think I would prefer Tracy Jones.. At least he still likes the game of baseball and wouldn't consider it such a major chore to show up for work.

Marty is clearly burned out. I don't know if he still does the job for the money or if he feels the franchise won't survive without him, but he should've retired years ago and enjoyed his life.

You gotta be kidding. Marty's awesome, so what if he's a little negative at times. He's great. Tracy Jones... seriously?

REDREAD
11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
You gotta be kidding. Marty's awesome, so what if he's a little negative at times. He's great. Tracy Jones... seriously?

Tracy isn't bad when he's talking about baseball. He'd take the announcing job seriously. I have not listened to him for awhile, but his radio job was to fill 3-4 hours of airtime and get people to call in. It was his job to make up people like "Richard" to get people fired up and calling in.

Marty used to be awesome, but over the years, he's killed my enthusiasm for listening to the Reds on the radio. Even this year, a few times, he was so obnoxious, I just had to turn the radio off. It's well past the time for the bitter "Mr Know It All" to retire.

redsfandan
11-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Well stated. IMO, Marty gets a pass from too many of us because of beloved childhood memories or a perception that he has tenure and should be permitted to say whatever he pleases.

Despite having never played an inning of ML baseball, Marty does all of that griping and never, ever admits that any of it turned out to be wrong. I wish sometimes that there were transcripts of the game broadcasts, so that we could read his exact words (and discuss them in a more objective way) and the Reds FO could hold him more accountable. A memorable call of a walk-off home run should not overshadow 8-1/2 innings of slagging on the home team for being behind on the scoreboard.
Sounds like selective memory to me. The Marty I know can definitely be grouchy but he'll also admit if he's wrong about something.

Cedric
11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Sounds like selective memory to me. The Marty I know can definitely be grouchy but he'll also admit if he's wrong about something.

Agree completely.

camisadelgolf
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
If he didn't, he'd be almost completely unbearable. Fortunately, he admits to being wrong, and Marty is one of the best ever.

REDREAD
11-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Sure, every once in a while Thom or someone will call him out for making an outrageous statement that has no basis in fact.

Once Marty was ranting about Dunn. Marty pulled out of the air "Dunn hits more HR solo then with men on base". Stewart called him on it. Marty dug in his heels. Finally Stewart got the stats which proved Marty wrong. Marty begrudgingly admited he was wrong, but made a point to say that Dunn still sucked..

To me, that's not graciously admiting that you are wrong. Marty makes up "information" and blasts it on the radio as gospel. He's totally irresponsbile. If he has a grudge against a person, he has no qualms about making up information to discredit that person.

camisadelgolf
11-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Sure, every once in a while Thom or someone will call him out for making an outrageous statement that has no basis in fact.

Once Marty was ranting about Dunn. Marty pulled out of the air "Dunn hits more HR solo then with men on base". Stewart called him on it. Marty dug in his heels. Finally Stewart got the stats which proved Marty wrong. Marty begrudgingly admited he was wrong, but made a point to say that Dunn still sucked..

To me, that's not graciously admiting that you are wrong. Marty makes up "information" and blasts it on the radio as gospel. He's totally irresponsbile. If he has a grudge against a person, he has no qualms about making up information to discredit that person.
So you'd prefer it if he didn't have an opinion? Never went out on a limb? Had no bias and worded everything completely objectively? His job is to call the game in an entertaining and interesting manner, and I think he accomplishes that more than nearly anyone else in his profession.

westofyou
11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
His job is to call the game in an entertaining and interesting manner,

Does that include golf stories, inside jokes and rants against enemies like Bowden, Tony and Buck?

Because I think he accomplishes that more than nearly anyone else in his profession.

Still he's million times better than Tracy Jones and he'll decide when he'll leave the Reds, my only hope is a winning team makes him less Oscar the Grouch and more Kermit the Frog.

REDREAD
11-11-2010, 12:35 PM
So you'd prefer it if he didn't have an opinion? Never went out on a limb? Had no bias and worded everything completely objectively? His job is to call the game in an entertaining and interesting manner, and I think he accomplishes that more than nearly anyone else in his profession.

I'd prefer he didn't make up stats and pass them off as factual.
I'd also prefer if he didn't rail hard on players, especially the young guys when they aren't perfect.
A little criticism is fine, but constantly bashing the same players all year is tiresome.

Again, on the clinching game day, Marty made a huge stink about Bruce asking Dusty to play, and then when Bruce started the game with 2K's and grounding into a DP, Marty rode his rearend so hard, saying he needs to back it up, etc. Then when Bruce hits the HR, Marty makes the game call nicely, but where's the apology for dogging Bruce the entire game?

That's not going out on a limb. That's just being a grouch and bashing people.

Every year I find myself listening to fewer and fewer games. I used to listen to every game on the radio. Even last year, when they were contending, Marty was so bad, I could only stomach about 180 innings, spread out over multiple games.. Marty makes me turn off the radio. If other people enjoy listening to him criticize young pitchers for not "Trying hard enough" to locate a pitch perfectly, that's their choice.

Boss-Hog
11-11-2010, 12:35 PM
It's well past the time for the bitter "Mr Know It All" to retire.

If there's anyone that thinks he knows it all, it's Tracy "I played the game" Jones.

redsfandan
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Every year I find myself listening to fewer and fewer games. I used to listen to every game on the radio. Even last year, when they were contending, Marty was so bad, I could only stomach about 180 innings, spread out over multiple games.. Marty makes me turn off the radio. If other people enjoy listening to him criticize young pitchers for not "Trying hard enough" to locate a pitch perfectly, that's their choice.
So you won't mind that I/we will continue to listen?

I learned a long time ago to take some things Marty says with a grain of salt. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and there will always be things that I, and others, will disagree with Marty about. But, I'm not going to hold that against him. The criticisms, obviously, bother you. And I can also tell when Marty goes too far. And I laugh. He's not the first guy that became grouchy in his old age. And I doubt there's many guys that can be thrown out that some people wouldn't take issue with.

If there's anyone that thinks he knows it all, it's Tracy "I played the game" Jones.
Gotta agree with ya on that.

REDREAD
11-11-2010, 02:20 PM

I agree that Tracy would not be the ideal candidate for a radio broadcaster. Still, I'd rather listen to him than Marty. Marty is that bad.

The "I played the game" thing is all part of Tracy's act. Just like him saying that women should not attend baseball games. His job is to get people to call the show. It's a lot easier to do that by saying absurd things than to talk about baseball.. Think about Doc Rodgers. He talks about baseball, but his show is a snooze fest.

remdog
11-11-2010, 03:18 PM
That's not going out on a limb. That's just being a grouch and bashing people.

:thumbup:

Marty used to be good, even very good on some days. Now days he sometimes has problems rising to even Tim McCarver heights. Grumpy, grouchie, irrelevent stories about golf, tomatoes and Elvis spotlight his commentary---the game be damned.

A few days ago ESPN cut ties with John Miller---an announcer that far exceeds Marty's current level. I'd love for the Reds/WLW to grasp reality and put Marty out to pasture

Rem.

Unassisted
11-11-2010, 04:43 PM
It struck me that it seems odd that we know about this. Marty renewing should be no big deal. He's surely not pulling down a budget-buster of a salary. I would figure that the biggest sticking point in the terms of his next deal should be how much he has to work and which games he works. Since the Reds have such a large rotating cast of announcers, it should be a simple matter to find another PBP guy from that group to fill in for Marty.

Could it be that the Reds might actually be considering NOT renewing him?

Redsfan320
11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
A few days ago ESPN cut ties with John Miller---an announcer that far exceeds Marty's current level. I'd love for the Reds/WLW to grasp reality and put Marty out to pasture

I love Marty, but I do love Jon Miller so how bout they hire him as main TV guy, make Thom back-up, and tell Keels to hit the road. :thumbup:

westofyou
11-11-2010, 06:31 PM
I love Marty, but I do love Jon Miller so how bout they hire him as main TV guy, make Thom back-up, and tell Keels to hit the road. :thumbup:

Jon Miller has great gig in his hometown, he's unavailable

Redsfan320
11-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Yeah, I know, it'd be nice if we could steal him though.

Big Klu
11-11-2010, 09:58 PM

And there are probably people there who hate him, too.

westofyou
11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
And there are probably people there who hate him, too.

Yep, and there were guys that hated Hank Greenwald before him and Lon Simmons, and guys who hated Waite Hoyt and hated Red Barber.

Comes with the territory.

The game has so many nuances, as do people.

As a mix it's a potent cocktail.