PDA

View Full Version : Walt: Cincy would be happy with Janish as the starter

edabbs44
11-04-2010, 09:27 AM
From Fay:

The Reds are considering bringing back Cabrera at a reduced rate. Even so, the younger (and cheaper) Janish could be the man.

“If we ended up going with Janish, I think everybody would be happy with that,” general manager Walt Jocketty said. “We would have gone into the (2010) season with Janish if we hadn’t signed Cabrera.”

I think, by everybody, he is including the collective RZ as well.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/11/03/janish-at-shortstop-in-2011/

Redsfan320
11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I would be.

camisadelgolf
11-04-2010, 10:48 AM
And if Janish goes down with injury, who takes over? Okay, you give Cozart a shot, but what if he shows that he's not ready for major league hitting (which is to be expected from the majority of rookies)? What then? Chris Valaika? Kris Negron? Miguel Cairo?!

I like Janish as much as anyone on RedsZone, but I really think the Reds need some depth there. I hope it's someone much better than Cabrera, but who else could it be? Here are the shortstops who have posted a non-negative WAR over the past three years:

WAR PLAYER
10.5 Derek Jeter - haha yeah, right
5.8 Juan Uribe - coming off a career year and will possibly be too expensive
1.9 Cesar Izturis - his skills continue to decline and is probably a worse option than OC for 2011
1.8 Edgar Renteria - he'll be expensive, and his defense was never good anyway; i don't see him reaching his 2010 production moving forward
0.0 Orlando Cabrera - his defense is no longer quality, but he's probably capable of putting up better offensive numbers in 2011 than he did in 2010

Those aren't very good options, and it's no wonder the Reds would consider bringing Cabrera back. If you ask me, the Reds really need to explore a trade, but that's a very difficult thing to complete. I'm very interested to see how this unfolds.

RedsManRick
11-04-2010, 10:53 AM
Something tells me Janish isn't taking too much comfort in that statement considering they said pretty much the same thing last year.

Walt has said he wants to add a leadoff hitter and we know LF and SS are really the only positions up for grab. I wouldn't be comfortable if I were Janish, not that a better option is out there.

Johnny Footstool
11-04-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm fine with Janish starting, as long as he bats eighth. Unfortunately, Dusty can't get past the "SS bats second" idea.

Redsfan320
11-04-2010, 10:55 AM
What about Kepp and Hair. How did they do this past season?

edabbs44
11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I'm fine with Janish starting, as long as he bats eighth. Unfortunately, Dusty can't get past the "SS bats second" idea.

Roughly 70-75% of Janish's 2010 PAs came in the 8 hole, with the majority of the rest hitting 2nd.

MartyFan
11-04-2010, 11:09 AM
I'd be fine with Janish...honestly, Third Base is where I am concerned. Time to start fading Rolen (75% starts) and get some starts to Juan or even using someone like Cairo (I KNOW!) or move someone like Valika over there.

Strikes Out Looking
11-04-2010, 11:11 AM
I like Janish, but I think in the long run he is more Woody Woodward or Kurt Stillwell than Davey Concepcion or Barry Larkin.

RedsManRick
11-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Janish had a .338 OBP last year, supported by reasonable peripherals. That was higher than Phillips (.332), Stubbs (.329), or Cabrera (.303). 2010 was the first year he had a BABIP that was reasonable (.283, up from .230 and .247) and in line with his LD%.

He's hardly an ideal candidate for leading off, but it would be a massive step up from the .268 OBP we got from Cabrera and .302 from Phillips leading off last year. All Reds leadoff hitters combined for a .244/.306/.378 line. Improvement is a low bar to clear.

Sea Ray
11-04-2010, 11:43 AM
All Reds leadoff hitters combined for a .244/.306/.378.

Wow. How'd we lead the league in so many offensive categories?

Homer Bailey
11-04-2010, 11:49 AM

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/slideshow/2008/baseball-salaries/images/joey_votto.jpg

RedsManRick
11-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Luckily that was the only black hole among starters and our bench was really strong.

You know when leadoff is by far the least productive spot in your lineup that your manager has some lineup construction issues.

But we know Dusty is going to continue to manage by archetype, so I hope Jocketty manages to come up with some speedy, 375 .OBP type to start in LF...

oneupper
11-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Janish had a .338 OBP last year, supported by reasonable peripherals. That was higher than Phillips (.332), Stubbs (.329), or Cabrera (.303). 2010 was the first year he had a BABIP that was reasonable (.283, up from .230 and .247) and in line with his LD%.

He's hardly an ideal candidate for leading off, but it would be a massive step up from the .268 OBP we got from Cabrera and .302 from Phillips leading off last year. All Reds leadoff hitters combined for a .244/.306/.378 line. Improvement is a low bar to clear.

Hitting in the 8-hole will usually bump OBP up a bit, especially if the player tends to look at a decent amount of pitches.
Put Janish at leadoff and opposing pitchers will go after him. Not sure if that would be a good thing, but I don't think so.

RedsManRick
11-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Hitting in the 8-hole will usually bump OBP up a bit, especially if the player tends to look at a decent amount of pitches.
Put Janish at leadoff and opposing pitchers will go after him. Not sure if that would be a good thing, but I don't think so.

Well, he can't be worse than Cabrera -- that was my primary point.

Roy Tucker
11-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Listened to Lance McAlister driving home last night. He talked to WJ for a few minutes.

Reading between the lines, Walt sounded genuine about Janish as a starter but not as positive about Gomes. GMs are pretty good at weasel words so a certain amount of tea-leaf reading was required.

I'd be happy with Janish as starter and Cabrera off the bench. I don't know how Cabrera feels about that though. He might be OK with it or he might not be. Those are discussions that need to happen though.

RedsManRick
11-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Listened to Lance McAlister driving home last night. He talked to WJ for a few minutes.

Reading between the lines, Walt sounded genuine about Janish as a starter but not as positive about Gomes. GMs are pretty good at weasel words so a certain amount of tea-leaf reading was required.

I'd be happy with Janish as starter and Cabrera off the bench. I don't know how Cabrera feels about that though. He might be OK with it or he might not be. Those are discussions that need to happen though.

The more I hear Jocketty the more I think he's dumb like a fox. He plays his hand extremely tight to the vest. Gomes being brought back says more about his market value than Jockety's desire to see him in LF everyday next year. Dusty on the other hand...

edabbs44
11-04-2010, 12:18 PM
The more I hear Jocketty the more I think he's dumb like a fox. He plays his hand extremely tight to the vest. Gomes being brought back says more about his market value than Jockety's desire to see him in LF everyday next year. Dusty on the other hand...

And it sounds like, unless someone unexpected falls into their laps, it will be OCab, Janish or a combo at SS. Add that to the "leadoff guy" comments that he made and you can see where he has Gomes in his plans.

bucksfan2
11-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Isn't it smart like a fox?

I do think you hit the nail on the head. Gomes being picked up is an attempt at maximizing the value of the roster. Gomes (especially at his price) belongs on a 25 man roster. He has value to the Reds as a RH platoon or PH bat coming off the bench.

RedsManRick
11-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Isn't it smart like a fox?

I've heard "sly", "crazy" and a number of other adjectives. I think this is just the most sarcastic version.

As long as Dusty realizes that Gomes starting against RHP produces negative value and refrains from doing so, he can be an asset to the roster.