PDA

View Full Version : Bruce qualifies for Super 2

Redsfan320
11-04-2010, 11:00 PM
Not sure if this is a big surprise or not.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/jay-bruce-gets-super-two-status.html

redsmetz
11-05-2010, 07:31 AM
I think the club was anticipating this would be the case, so basically it's not much of a surprise. Understandably, it does add to the calculating they'll have to do.

Johnny Footstool
11-05-2010, 10:51 AM
The Reds should try extremely hard to lock up Bruce for the next 6-7 years. I'd offer him $50 million over 7 years and see where it goes from there.

Sea Ray
11-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Let's hope they didn't delay calling him up his rookie year in order to miss the Super 2 designation 'cause they blew it if they did

OnBaseMachine
11-05-2010, 11:22 AM
The Reds should try extremely hard to lock up Bruce for the next 6-7 years. I'd offer him $50 million over 7 years and see where it goes from there.

Agreed. Bruce has already said he's open to signing a five or six year deal with the Reds. Hopefully they can get something done with him.

Brutus
11-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Let's hope they didn't delay calling him up his rookie year in order to miss the Super 2 designation 'cause they blew it if they did

I think it's pretty safe to say that it was a factor. They missed by a few days, but admittedly it's not easy to project. Of course, if they'd delayed another two weeks, there would have been little question.

RedsManRick
11-05-2010, 12:26 PM
With the increase in long term contracts for young players, I think we're going to see more top prospects break camp with the team. Imagine if the Giants had missed the playoffs by 1 game after holding Posey back, for example. It just doesn't make sense.

edabbs44
11-05-2010, 01:20 PM
With the increase in long term contracts for young players, I think we're going to see more top prospects break camp with the team. Imagine if the Giants had missed the playoffs by 1 game after holding Posey back, for example. It just doesn't make sense.

GMs have to also weigh the potential backlash of "rushing the young guy" that the peanut gallery will bust out if the prospect flops. Unless the team improves while the youngster produces, you are really in a tough spot.

RedsManRick
11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
GMs have to also weigh the potential backlash of "rushing the young guy" that the peanut gallery will bust out if the prospect flops. Unless the team improves while the youngster produces, you are really in a tough spot.

Backlash from whom? I really don't think GMs are worried than fans will stop showing up to the park if they bring up the hot young talent and he struggles. If it's a dissent in the org issue, then you probably have bigger issues.

And that all said, do people really think that 6 weeks in AAA will mean the difference in the player succeeding or failing? I can understand the desire to have a guy doing well in AAA first -- wanting to have his confidence up or confirm his readiness, but I seriously doubt that's been the true reason the guy was held down in most cases.