PDA

View Full Version : concepcion should be in HOF

Roush's socks
11-08-2010, 04:47 PM
I noticed on the ORG board that Davey is on the veteran's ballot. IMO he should be in. If you look at all the SS's that are in the HOF in the context of their time he is clearly worthy. He was the best SS in the MLB for several years and he had a long career. His defense was considered "next generation" at the time because he did things that had never been done before and advanced the game. If you read magazine articles and newspaper reports from the time he was playing, he was often mentioned as a future HOF'er.

Further proof-
Concepcion has a score of 106 on the HOF monitor with 100 being likely HOF.
9 time All-Star, clearly was considered one of the best SS of his time.
5 Gold Gloves, plus his defensive stats are awesome in his best years

I think what has happened with Davey is that after he retired players like Larkin, the ARoid and Jeter have changed the expectations of what a SS can do with bat. But when Concepcion was playing SS's didn't hit 40 HR's except for Ernie Banks. Also, Concepcion played at a time when offense lower, so his stats look less impressive than they are.

If you look at all the SS's in the HOF Concepcion is about in the middle of the pack. I don't agree with re-writing the abstract standards that make a HOF'er. The current trend to only include the truly elite players goes against the history of the HOF and all the players who are already in it. If it was meant only for the Ruth, Dimaggio, and joe Morgan's--- then why are there SO MANY players like Lloyd Waner, Joe Sewell, and Joseph Medwick? And there aren't just a couple of these type players, it's like 1/3 of the total HOF at least. To change the standards now is stupid. Everyone knows who the greatest players were. What's wrong with including the players like Concepcion who were great players, even if not the GREATEST to ever play?

Vottomatic
11-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I think he is a HOFer based on the era he played in.

He was the premier defensive SS of his time, hands down. And he had a long career.

Captain13
11-09-2010, 12:11 PM
I think my username and subtitle speak to my beliefs on the subject. He was the best SS in the game (without argument) until Gary Templeton and Ozzie Smith came up. If not for Ozzy, Davey would have had, at least, 10 gold gloves.

13 in hall
11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Without question my username is in line with Captain 13 yeah were both old but ulta cool. Besides Bench and Perez anyone else know the other members of the 16 members of the selection group? Bench always said it would be the veteran commitee that would get him in and he smiled. Maybe he has some vote trading in mind?

Captain13
11-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm glad you asked. It made me do some research.

Johnny Bench, Whitey Herzog, Eddie Murray, Jim Palmer, Tony Perez, Frank Robinson, Ryne Sandberg, Ozzie Smith , Jerry Reinsdorf, Andy MacPhail, former Phillies owner Bill Giles, Royals owner David Glass, Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun, Tim Kurkjian of ESPN, Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated and retired Los Angeles Times reporter Ross Newhan.

The Captain needs 12 votes from this list. I would like to think Bench, Perez and Robinson are gimmies. That leaves nine of the rest. Good luck Davey, you deserve it.

bounty37h
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm glad you asked. It made me do some research.

Johnny Bench, Whitey Herzog, Eddie Murray, Jim Palmer, Tony Perez, Frank Robinson, Ryne Sandberg, Ozzie Smith , Jerry Reinsdorf, Andy MacPhail, former Phillies owner Bill Giles, Royals owner David Glass, Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun, Tim Kurkjian of ESPN, Tom Verducci of Sports Illustrated and retired Los Angeles Times reporter Ross Newhan.

The Captain needs 12 votes from this list. I would like to think Bench, Perez and Robinson are gimmies. That leaves nine of the rest. Good luck Davey, you deserve it.

Wow, interesting list, thanks for posting. How did Royals owner get on there, question baseball knowledge of anyone assocaited with them ;). Wonder if Ozzie will recognize that Davey paved the path for him, was the Wiz before his day, and give hm the deserved vote?

Roush's socks
11-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Wow, interesting list, thanks for posting. How did Royals owner get on there, question baseball knowledge of anyone assocaited with them ;). Wonder if Ozzie will recognize that Davey paved the path for him, was the Wiz before his day, and give hm the deserved vote?

I think Ozzie would be more likely to appreciate the value of a defensive SS, since that's what he was. I also seem to remember one time reading that Ozzie admired Concepcion when he was coming up.

bounty37h
11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I think Ozzie would be more likely to appreciate the value of a defensive SS, since that's what he was. I also seem to remember one time reading that Ozzie admired Concepcion when he was coming up.

I would think he would too, Ozzie has always seemed like a good guy and would be happy to have another defensive gem SS in the Hall with him. Lot of people question if Ozzie belongs, think he backflipped his way in, Dave would re-enforce the importance of a quality defensive SS.

MikeThierry
11-10-2010, 10:47 PM
I think its also a shame that Ted Simmons hasn't been voted in already.