PDA

View Full Version : Lance Berkman

Phhhl
11-10-2010, 02:44 AM
I can't believe he said it, but he did tonight on the mlb network. Sitting in on the Hot Stove show, Houston Astro journalist/apologist - mlb contributor Richard Justice actually said that Lance Berkman was an above average left fielder. He said it in the middle of a tossed salad of other absurd comments, but I still clearly heard it. LANCE BERKMAN is an ABOVE average LEFT FIELDER... apparently.

Ok, even if he is not ABOVE average, so what? Can he be as good as Gomes? Is he better than Adam Dunn, the bahemoth that the town's people ran out of the 'Nati with pitch forks? There is no question that Berkman can hit signifigantly better than one of these former dudes, and does a pretty good poor man's imitation of the other even at his advanced age. If Lance Berkman can play defensively in left field, as Richard Justice suggests, he would seem to be the perfect Free Agent target for this team in 2011.

Berkman is the type of hitter that will be wearing down pitchers and sending clandestine nightmares to them three years after he retires. Whether or not a hitter like this is "hot" is so far away from what a pitcher needs to be concerned about when he approaches the plate it's ridiculous. He can wear them down by either taking bad pitches or fouling off good ones with all the pinache of Huck Finn blowing off manual labor.

In short, I have serious problems with Richard Justice suggesting that an aging, overweight player like Berkman can handle left field at this point in his career. The notion is so ridiculous on the surface that you have to wonder if Justice is not doing Berkman some kind of PR favor to enhance the slugger's standing in the free agent market. After all, Justice covers the Astros and appears to be a rooter for that franchise.

But, on the other hand, I am intrigued by what this team could gain offensively by having a hitter like Berkman protecting Votto 120 times a season, platooning with Jonny Gomes as the starting left fielder for this team.

Convince me that Richard Justice was not out of his mind about Berkman as a left fielder in 2011. I am already inclined to believe you before him.

nemesis
11-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Berkman will be 35 when the seasons starts to begin with. He is long out of his prime. Thanks to a really good OBP (.372) (.030 below his career average) he was able to OPS .808. (.146 below his career average)

After his trade to the Yankees, in his last 100 AB's both numbers dipped. His OBP was higher than his SLG% .(.358) to (.349). He hit LHP to a tune of .188 in the NL and .111 in the AL. He played DH primarily in the AL to keep his legs fresh and this was the best he could put up. (.707 OPS) He hasn't played in the OF since 2007 and hasn't logged more than 50 Games out there since 2004.

So no. Gomes bat and glove are both upgrades over Berkman at this point. He will have trouble finding a full time job at 1B IMO.

He would be broken and a disaster in LF. We'd calling for his head come May,

Ron Madden
11-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Just say NO.

dfs
11-10-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm sure there will be lots of teams running to bid on Berkman.
The reds can wait till they're all done before deciding what they should bid.

Just like Gomes last off season.

Chip R
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't think I'd be surprised to see him back in HOU - at a reduced price, of course.

TRF
11-10-2010, 01:14 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRvucMED_8z1Qk7VI5ixNVGAp4bVnFSy qLFcuZ_FMLK5xqDpFk&t=1&usg=__ZvoP6Ej_0yBmM0Arv7UVVBQ440I=

Will M
11-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I can't believe he said it, but he did tonight on the mlb network. Sitting in on the Hot Stove show, Houston Astro journalist/apologist - mlb contributor Richard Justice actually said that Lance Berkman was an above average left fielder. He said it in the middle of a tossed salad of other absurd comments, but I still clearly heard it. LANCE BERKMAN is an ABOVE average LEFT FIELDER... apparently.

Ok, even if he is not ABOVE average, so what? Can he be as good as Gomes? Is he better than Adam Dunn, the bahemoth that the town's people ran out of the 'Nati with pitch forks? There is no question that Berkman can hit signifigantly better than one of these former dudes, and does a pretty good poor man's imitation of the other even at his advanced age. If Lance Berkman can play defensively in left field, as Richard Justice suggests, he would seem to be the perfect Free Agent target for this team in 2011.

Berkman is the type of hitter that will be wearing down pitchers and sending clandestine nightmares to them three years after he retires. Whether or not a hitter like this is "hot" is so far away from what a pitcher needs to be concerned about when he approaches the plate it's ridiculous. He can wear them down by either taking bad pitches or fouling off good ones with all the pinache of Huck Finn blowing off manual labor.

In short, I have serious problems with Richard Justice suggesting that an aging, overweight player like Berkman can handle left field at this point in his career. The notion is so ridiculous on the surface that you have to wonder if Justice is not doing Berkman some kind of PR favor to enhance the slugger's standing in the free agent market. After all, Justice covers the Astros and appears to be a rooter for that franchise.

But, on the other hand, I am intrigued by what this team could gain offensively by having a hitter like Berkman protecting Votto 120 times a season, platooning with Jonny Gomes as the starting left fielder for this team.

Convince me that Richard Justice was not out of his mind about Berkman as a left fielder in 2011. I am already inclined to believe you before him.

IMO Berkman's bat has slowed. This is based on his stats & the games I have seen in 2010. Also just from looking at him he seems to be aging. He seems to have added weight. He doesn't move well at 1B & I suspect he would de statuesque in LF.

I have to say: no.

Chip R
11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
IMO Berkman's bat has slowed. This is based on his stats & the games I have seen in 2010. Also just from looking at him he seems to be aging. He seems to have added weight. He doesn't move well at 1B & I suspect he would de statuesque in LF.

And he didn't hit that well against the Reds this year. That alone should give people pause.

Sea Ray
11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Berkman will be 35 when the seasons starts to begin with. He is long out of his prime. Thanks to a really good OBP (.372) (.030 below his career average) he was able to OPS .808. (.146 below his career average)

After his trade to the Yankees, in his last 100 AB's both numbers dipped. His OBP was higher than his SLG% .(.358) to (.349). He hit LHP to a tune of .188 in the NL and .111 in the AL. He played DH primarily in the AL to keep his legs fresh and this was the best he could put up. (.707 OPS) He hasn't played in the OF since 2007 and hasn't logged more than 50 Games out there since 2004.

So no. Gomes bat and glove are both upgrades over Berkman at this point. He will have trouble finding a full time job at 1B IMO.

He would be broken and a disaster in LF. We'd calling for his head come May,

If Berkman's willing to come here on Gomes-like money, count me in

nemesis
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
If Berkman's willing to come here on Gomes-like money, count me in

To play what position?

Sea Ray
11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
To play what position?

LF

15fan
11-10-2010, 03:59 PM
And he didn't hit that well against the Reds this year. That alone should give people pause.

The other side of the argument is that the Reds weren't trotting guys like Eric Milton, Kyle Lohse, Elizardo Ramirez, Jose Acevedo and Josh Fogg out to the mound on a regular basis, either.

westofyou
11-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Berkman has lost a lot of his RH pop, but I'll take him over Gomes, his OB% makes up for a lot of the garbage one has to deal with with Gomes (making outs and missing outs)

lollipopcurve
11-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Berkman is a platoon with Gomes might work well. But if he can't defend, it's moot.

nemesis
11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
nm

nemesis
11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Berkman is a platoon with Gomes might work well. But if he can't defend, it's moot.

Yhat's what I am getting at. He has less range and arm than Gomes. He'd commit 10+ E's out there in a platoon role.

How is that a upgrade signing with no reason to believe he'd even hit?

westofyou
11-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Why wouldn't Berkman hit?

Because he just had his 1st season with a SLG% under .500 since 1999?

I'll bet he ends up with better hitting numbers than Gomes and probably whoever shares the field with Gomes.

But he's gotta be able to play OF

lollipopcurve
11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Thing is, I think they could entice Berkman to Cincy. But, as noted, he's got to be able to run around the OF a little, and stay healthy doing it. I have a feeling that that would be dicey with Berkman.

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm not convinced Berkman is done as a hitter but I don't think he could handle playing LF at this point in his career. I still like his bat though.

TRF
11-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Why wouldn't Berkman hit?

Because he just had his 1st season with a SLG% under .500 since 1999?

I'll bet he ends up with better hitting numbers than Gomes and probably whoever shares the field with Gomes.

But he's gotta be able to play OF

Because it isn't 1998?

Because as a player gets older MINUS PED's they tend to show a decline in production. Oh, and he's getting kinda fat too. Not a slam on him, he's had a great career, but he's a bench bat/DH at this point IMO.

westofyou
11-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Because it isn't 1998?

Because as a player gets older MINUS PED's they tend to show a decline in production. Oh, and he's getting kinda fat too. Not a slam on him, he's had a great career, but he's a bench bat/DH at this point IMO.

And just think a mere year ago he had this line

.274/.399/.509/.908

I must have missed the splat when he fell so far and fast.

mdccclxix
11-10-2010, 08:30 PM
I think it's pretty clear his decline is tied to injuries, so if he's healthy he'll probably produce. LF is not an option, though.

mth123
11-10-2010, 09:40 PM
The arguments about LF are correct. I'd guess he'd be pretty iffy there. But his effectiveness on defense is probably secondary to his ability to handle it healthwise. I'd guess Berkman might have a lot of chronic conditions that prevent him from being in the line-up very often if he were to play LF regularly. I could be wrong, but he looks like he can't move and it isn't just because of his weight IMO. He could make a nice rebound as a DH. This year's Thome I think some one said and I could see that, but IMO he needs to DH to stay in the line-up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up on the Rangers on the cheap.

westofyou
11-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I think it's pretty clear his decline is tied to injuries, so if he's healthy he'll probably produce. LF is not an option, though.

And he's fat and old.... hey but who isn't in retrospect?

he'll make at least 4 million next year, that's my take, oh.. and he won't play 1 game in LF

bucksfan2
11-11-2010, 10:07 AM
And he's fat and old.... hey but who isn't in retrospect?

he'll make at least 4 million next year, that's my take, oh.. and he won't play 1 game in LF

The old part you can't help. Unless you find a time machine or find the fountain of youth your age is always going to increase.

The fat part you can control. Far be it for Berkman to show up trim and shape for spring training. Players do this all the time, whether he can last a season is another big question.

At 4M I wouldn't take the chance, at 2M I may be tempted to see what he could bring to the table.

_Sir_Charles_
11-11-2010, 10:36 AM

This. The problems with his knees have obviously hampered him...but it's not the reason for his loss of bat speed.

IMO, one of the biggest reasons for Berkman's decline is his lack of effort/enthusiasm for the game. Ever since Biggio & Bagwell hung them up (and Ausmus left the Astros) his game has been on a sharp decline. Simply put, his love for his teammates is one of the biggest reasons Berkman looked forward to coming to the park everyday. Take that away.........

westofyou
11-11-2010, 10:43 AM
This. The problems with his knees have obviously hampered him...but it's not the reason for his loss of bat speed.

IMO, one of the biggest reasons for Berkman's decline is his lack of effort/enthusiasm for the game. Ever since Biggio & Bagwell hung them up (and Ausmus left the Astros) his game has been on a sharp decline. Simply put, his love for his teammates is one of the biggest reasons Berkman looked forward to coming to the park everyday. Take that away.........

Really?

He surely loved the game enough to play in college and sign with the Astros before he even met them.

Or those 1000 ab's in 2008 and 2009 without them sure didn't say he missed them .295/.410/.540/.950

TRF
11-11-2010, 11:02 AM
And just think a mere year ago he had this line

.274/.399/.509/.908

I must have missed the splat when he fell so far and fast.

2010: .248 .368 .413 .781

s p l a t

I agree with the amount he's likely to get and the fact that he won't play a day in LF, but I bet Russel Branyan has a better year in 2011 than Berkman does. They are the same age and right now likely the same player with Branyan maybe having a bit more power.

westofyou
11-11-2010, 11:14 AM
2010: .248 .368 .413 .781

s p l a t

I agree with the amount he's likely to get and the fact that he won't play a day in LF, but I bet Russel Branyan has a better year in 2011 than Berkman does. They are the same age and right now likely the same player with Branyan maybe having a bit more power.

I'll take that bet.

Winner gets to gloat

TRF
11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
I'll take that bet.

Winner gets to gloat

It's on like a neck bone.

I've always wanted to type that.

I do wonder if either guy gets a starting gig though.

I(heart)Freel
11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
A smart hitter like Berkman also knows/studies pitchers. His thud in pinstripes could also be tied to his inexperience with junior league hurlers.

Get him back in the NL and you might see a bump up in avg and power.

Note also that a 368 OBP in a "splat" year would rank third on the 2010 Reds.

lollipopcurve
11-24-2010, 08:11 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Lance-Berkman-free-agent-buzz-rumors-news-aims-to-play-outfield-not-just-DH

Berkman feels he can still play the OF. He wants back in the NL and would prefer to play for a contender. With the way he's hit at GAB, I'd like to see the Reds give him a chance. I have to think he'd love to play for the Reds.

edabbs44
11-24-2010, 09:29 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Lance-Berkman-free-agent-buzz-rumors-news-aims-to-play-outfield-not-just-DH

Berkman feels he can still play the OF. He wants back in the NL and would prefer to play for a contender. With the way he's hit at GAB, I'd like to see the Reds give him a chance. I have to think he'd love to play for the Reds.

Of course he feels like he can still play the OF. He has no job and would be alienating half his client base if he said otherwise.

He hasn't played more than 50 games in the OF since 2004. That's a long time, in case you are keeping score at home.

For those who believe that Gomes is the bottom of the barrel in LF, I think Berkman could raise (or lower) the bar significantly in 2011 if given the opportunity.

lollipopcurve
11-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Of course he feels like he can still play the OF. He has no job and would be alienating half his client base if he said otherwise.

He hasn't played more than 50 games in the OF since 2004. That's a long time, in case you are keeping score at home.

For those who believe that Gomes is the bottom of the barrel in LF, I think Berkman could raise (or lower) the bar significantly in 2011 if given the opportunity.

You very well could be right. Thing is, there's significant upside in his bat (from the left side). And with the cozy LF in GAB, his defensive shortcomings could be hidden a bit.

Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing how he might play out there. You sign him and take the risk.

Probably more likely that they bring Nix back and platoon him with Gomes.

Phhhl
11-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Let's just say it gets to be mid-March, and Berkman is unsigned. Johnny Gomes is translating his second half "disappearing act" into a spring training "concern". Paul Janish is the only real shortstop in camp, but he is hitting .083 with more ab's than anybody else. Aroldis Chapman is being rocked by a split squad in Tampa that started at 9am, Goodyear time.

The bidding gets to 3 mil on Berkman, as reported by Peter Gammons. Chicago lost out on Adam Dunn to the Detroit Tigers, and pure and simple Cubbie pride prevents them from re-signing Derek Lee (as if signing the guy that provided the subtext for "Bart Man" dissolved that nightmare in the first place), and now we can feel good about it?

I am just saying, there are not many obvious suitors for Lance Berkman right now. The Reds can offer him playing time in left field and first base. Joey has shown that he can drop out of the daily lineup at any time, no matter what the standings say. Not only in 2008 but ever since, even 2010. Gomes is in desperate need of a left handed platoon partner to remain topical. I still feel that Lance Berkman could be a tremendous acquisition for the 2011 Reds, especially if he falls far enough in the pecking order to be available late in this process. If nothing else, I think he is an interesting name to keep in mind as the days of the off season tick off the calendar.

I also like another Redszone suggestion. Russell Banyan. That guy could spell Rolen AND platoon with Gomes. This is a promising offensive team, but it should not sell itself short on raw power. Phillips is an above average leadoff hitter for no other reason than he could not possibly ground into a league leading number of double plays in that slot (His skills as a power hitter and a good base runner are amplified batting first and basically compromised batting anywhere else).

This team desperately needs to find a goon to protect our favorite Canadian, non-hockey fan. Joey Votto's blind side as he pursues a second straight MVP in 2011 is protected by a collection of journeymen and green horns as it currently stands. I reviewed a September ballgame on MLB.tv tonight, and a graph popped up that Joey had been intentionally walked 4 times (compared with Pujols' 39) to that point in the season. That particular stat and how the Reds choose to leverage their superstar's ability to handle it is going to become crucial to this team's success moving forward.

Now that everyone knows what Joey Votto looks like, to the chagrin of Colin Cowherd, the opportunities for cheeky photos and youtube noteriety are going to start to cloud our appreciation of how good this kid truly is. It is innevitable. He is like a free pass for this starving franchise now, but as soon as he signs a contract that seems to betray our "trust" as Reds fans, all hell will break loose. I saw it with the greatest player in the history of this francshise (Pete Rose), and I am talking YEARS before the scandal scandal that actually destroyed him.

I am talking about a much greater "scandal" than even Pete Rose could have ever devised. I am talking about free agency in baseball.

Phhhl
11-25-2010, 02:21 AM

But, what if Berkman were not only platooning with Gomes, but sharing time for the right handed ab's with Heisey? That would be a fairly lethal cleanup hitter, without have to call upon Rolen and Bruce to step their games up right now, when they both promise value. You could hide defensive deficiencies and have an extremely flexible bench by signing a professional hitter like Berkman and concentrating on the spots in which he is used.

Right now, Berkman clearly does not want to be a DH. If it becomes clear that he absolutely will not sign with an American League team for 2011, I think his value to this Reds team gains by lengths and bounds.

There are so many ways to fit a hitter like that into your lineup.

marcshoe
11-25-2010, 02:25 AM
I'd love to see Lance in a Reds' uni. Of all the old guys out there, I think he's likely the most productive. Maybe he has dropped off a cliff, but I'd bet a season in Cincy would rejuvenate him.

WebScorpion
11-25-2010, 06:08 PM
In the field, he's Gomes with less speed. At the plate, he will probably be an improvement, but I'd rather go with someone who can play the field. With Gomes, we've already got our no-glove outfielder...I'd rather not collect any more. :rolleyes:

Ron Madden
11-25-2010, 08:24 PM
In the field, he's Gomes with less speed. At the plate, he will probably be an improvement, but I'd rather go with someone who can play the field. With Gomes, we've already got our no-glove outfielder...I'd rather not collect any more. :rolleyes:

I'm with you.

max venable
11-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Remember the Dante Bichette experiment in Cincinnati? 2011 Berkman = Bichette. May be able to hit around .300 but with limited power while being a butcher in the OF.

marcshoe
11-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Berkman=Bichette? Not even close. Berkman's lifetime OBP is over .400. His OPS is over .900. Berkman has proven himself to be one of the top hitters in baseball. Bichette was widely regarded as a product of his environment, even before the Reds picked him up.

westofyou
11-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Bichette created 1018 runs in his career -31 below average.

Berkman has created 1300 runs in his career and over 470 above average.

I think Berkman will die much slower than Bichette did

alexad
11-26-2010, 12:56 AM
Berkman would be just like Edmonds. A class act type of leader that our younger guys can look up to. Having a Rolen and Berkman on this team would be a huge investment, but a good investment.

westofyou
07-06-2011, 03:57 PM
310 trips to the plate for Lance

.294/.406/.612/1.018

Too bad the Reds didn't snag him.

07-06-2011, 04:05 PM
310 trips to the plate for Lance

.294/.406/.612/1.018

Too bad the Reds didn't snag him.

I can think of 8,000,000 reasons why they shouldn't have. There's a winning lottery ticket every year.

westofyou
07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I can think of 8,000,000 reasons why they shouldn't have. There's a winning lottery ticket every year.

He had a .908 OPS in 2009, he's a commodity not a shot in the dark

Big Klu
07-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Berkman = Faust

LaRussa = Mephistopheles

07-06-2011, 04:14 PM
He had a .908 OPS in 2009, he's a commodity not a shot in the dark

He's 35, coming off multiple injuries and major surgery, a below .800 OPS, and he doesn't play a position the Reds had open. Can't see how's that is worth an $8M risk.

Everything pointed to him being done. He was the 1 in 100 who was able to rebound from serious injuries at his age.

Homer Bailey
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
He's 35, coming off multiple injuries and major surgery, a below .800 OPS, and he doesn't play a position the Reds had open. Can't see how's that is worth an $8M risk.

Everything pointed to him being done. He was the 1 in 100 who was able to rebound from serious injuries at his age.

Not to mention its $8M that the Reds didn't have to spend.

westofyou
07-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Can't

A Reds fans favorite word.

LF is a hole, Berkman could have played LF a position that's kinda open on the Reds.

kaldaniels
07-06-2011, 04:19 PM
The Cardinals have hit the jackpot so far with this move. But at this time last year, Rolen was looking pretty good too.

lollipopcurve
07-06-2011, 04:20 PM
1 year at 8 million is not a particularly risky investment.

Agree with WOY -- leftfield was wide open, or should have been considered so.

The team has been living off wishful thinking when it comes to the middle of the batting order -- particularly the #4 spot. Berkman would have been great there this year -- and the Reds would likely be in 1st now if they'd signed him.

Maybe they just got outbid. It's possible, I guess.

reds44
07-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Calling LF is a hole is inaccurate.

westofyou
07-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Maybe they just got outbid. It's possible, I guess.

Likely happened.

I wish that they hadn't looked at the position as "set"

Roy Tucker
07-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Re: Berkman.... I can't say the Cards got lucky, but they were fortunate. Just like the Reds with Rolen last year.

Re: LF

2011 NL LF aggregate averages are .337/.434/.771

2011 Reds LF aggregate is .328/.387/.715. Pretty anemic.

I couldn't find a month-by-month breakdown but my gut feel is that its gotten better lately. But I still think the Reds could still use some help out there.

reds44
07-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Jesus, didn't realize it was that bad.

NJReds
07-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I was 100% flat-out wrong on Berkman.

When he was the Yankees last fall, he couldn't play defense at first base much less the OF. His bat looked slow. He couldn't hit a left-hander if his life depended on it. I thought he was done, and I wouldn't have given him $800, much less $8 million.

MikeThierry
07-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Well Berkman was finally healthy from his injury last year and he lost 25 pounds in the off season. I think he is also playing with a chip on his shoulder. His production has been well worth the 8 million the Cards have paid him this season. If he ends up at the end of the year having a .280 avg., 30+ hr, 100+ RBI's, it will be the free agent signing of the year.

HokieRed
07-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Some guys can just hit. He can. I figured he'd be back, and I had hoped he'd be in our outfield right now.

medford
07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I'll give Berkman credit, I thought his bat had slowed down considerably last season, combined with playing that much in RF he'd be lucky to put up a .700 OPS. He's proven me way wrong so far, it will be interesting to see how he holds up in the 2nd half.

MikeThierry
07-10-2011, 05:49 PM
I'll give Berkman credit, I thought his bat had slowed down considerably last season, combined with playing that much in RF he'd be lucky to put up a .700 OPS. He's proven me way wrong so far, it will be interesting to see how he holds up in the 2nd half.

I was reading an interview with Berkman and he said that he feels more comfortable playing in the outfield than he does at first. He feels that his legs will survive longer because he isn't constantly seeing the ball in Right Field as he was at first base. Playing him in the right field might actually be better for his health than at 1st base, interestingly enough.