PDA

View Full Version : Can Magglio Ordonez play LF?

dunner13
11-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I know hes getting older, Im not thinking a long term contract here but could he be in option for one year? When healthy it seems like he can still hit, plus put him in the NL and the smaller ballparks of the NL and his numbers could get a nice boost. He would fit in our budget to.

blumj
11-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I like that idea, but I really haven't seen him play much for a while. The Tigers could have moved him to DH last year and didn't, and they do have a large OF there, so it wouldn't shock me if he could play an acceptable LF in a smaller park.

camisadelgolf
11-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Maggs is a liability in the field, but he's not 'Jonny Gomes' bad. I'm certainly not opposed to bringing him in, but I have reservations about it due to his injury history. If you take out his 2007--which is a year that was so good for him that it's almost suspicious--he averages a little less than 1.3 WAR per year since 2004. For comparison, Laynce Nix has surpassed 1.3 WAR in both his seasons as a Red.

*BaseClogger*
11-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I really like the idea. He has been around a 125 OPS+ hitter (edit: 122 for those of you wanted an exact number) in his three seasons since 2007 and I think he could be around average defensively in LF. Of course ideally the Reds would acquire a true impact player for LF, but I like bringing in Ordonez on a low-risk contract better than sticking with the in-house options...