PDA

View Full Version : Redsfest 2010

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Here we are only 23 days away from Redsfest. I'm looking forward to it. It's a great event, I've been the last two years and have enjoyed it very much. If you have a chance to go, do it. Not only do you have a great chance at getting autographs and pics of your favorite player, but they also have great merchandise available, plus this year they will be celebrating the Reds 2010 NL Central Championship and there will be a tribute to Sparky Anderson.

The Reds are doing something new this year. Buy a Redsfest ticket and you get a free view level ticket for the April 15 game vs. Pirates. That's a great deal, IMO.

Anyway, here is the initial list of players who will be attending Redsfest.

Alonso, Yonder
Arroyo, Bronson
Berry, Mark
Billingham, Jack
Borbon, Pedro
Brantley, Jeff
Bray, Bill
Brennaman, Marty
Brennaman, Thom
Browning, Tom
Cardenas, Leo
Carroll, Clay
Chapman, Aroldis
Cozart, Zack
Davis, Eric
Flynn, Doug
Foster, George
Frazier, Todd
Gomes, Jonny
Granger, Wayne
Hamilton, Billy
Hanigan, Ryan
Harmon, Chuck
Heisey, Chris
Helms, Tommy
Horst, Jeremy
Jacoby, Brook
Joseph, Donnie
Kelch, Jim
Klinker, Matt
Leake, Mike
Lynch, Jerry
Maloney, Jim
Masset, Nick
May, Lee
Mesoraco, Devin
Oester, Ron
Ondrusek, Logan
O'Toole, Jim
Phillips, Brandon
Power, Ted
Price, Bryan
Smith Jordan
Valaika, Chris

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/fan_forum/redsfest.jsp?loc=appearances

That's just the initial list so don't read into Bruce or Votto not being on there. The Reds have already said that every player under contract is expected to be there.

kbrake
11-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I've never gone before and I'm not sure why but I plan on going on Saturday this year. Really looking forward to it.

lollipopcurve
11-10-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm not a Redsfester, but nice to see them bringing Billy Hamilton into the fold.

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not a Redsfester, but nice to see them bringing Billy Hamilton into the fold.

Yep. His autograph should be easy to get since a lot of people probably haven't heard of him. I have a feeling 2-3 years from now he won't be such an unknown.

HeatherC1212
11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I've gone to Redsfest the last four years and I'm really looking forward to this year's event since we have a lot to celebrate and remember from this year. I also volunteered last year which was really cool and I'm doing that again although just for Saturday this time (it works better for my schedule). It should be a really fun event and just FYI, Better Off Red's Jamie Ramsey is going to have his own booth there this year which should be a total hoot. :D

fearofpopvol1
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Of all the years, this one looks like the best of all to go. Especially if the claim holds true that everyone under contract is expected to show. In addition to Bruce and Votto, still a lot of names missing...Cueto, Volquez, Rolen, Stubbs, Janish, Bailey, Francisco etc.

From what I remember of the past, it's always seemed more difficult to get the Latin players to come. The fact that Chapman is going is sick!!

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
From what I remember of the past, it's always seemed more difficult to get the Latin players to come. The fact that Chapman is going is sick!!

I've been the last two years and most of the Latin guys were there. Cueto, Volquez, Viola, Cordero (last year). Juan Francisco was supposed to be there last year but ended up not making it.

HeatherC1212
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
IIRC, the only two major players who weren't there at some point last year were Homer Bailey and Paul Janish due to Paul's wedding falling sometime during that same week. I don't remember if Aaron Harang was there or not but for some reason, I think he did attend at some point last year. I remember seeing just about everyone else on the major league roster at some point during the weekend. Edinson was a total trip during the one photo session time that I got a picture with him, Pedro Viola, and Matt Maloney, LOL :laugh:

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Edinson was a total trip during the one photo session time that I got a picture with him, Pedro Viola, and Matt Maloney, LOL :laugh:

Volquez is a great dude. I've met him twice now and both times he came off as a great guy. I don't think I've ever seen him without a huge smile on his face.

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Jay Bruce has now been confirmed for Redsfest.

OnBaseMachine
11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Now confirmed for #Redsfest - Joey Votto, Billy Hatcher, Matt Maloney & Mike Stefanski. #Reds

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

Edd Roush
11-11-2010, 03:20 PM
Now confirmed for #Redsfest - Joey Votto, Billy Hatcher, Matt Maloney & Mike Stefanski. #Reds

Thanks for the update, OBM. Any idea on when they will announce which players are coming on which day? Also, I have attended in years past and remember similar sized crowds both day. Does anyone else remember from experience if there will be a lighter crowd one day or another? Thanks.

OnBaseMachine
11-11-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the update, OBM. Any idea on when they will announce which players are coming on which day? Also, I have attended in years past and remember similar sized crowds both day. Does anyone else remember from experience if there will be a lighter crowd one day or another? Thanks.

The majority of the players are there for both days. I think only a couple of them were there for only one day last year.

HeatherC1212
11-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Scott Rolen was only there on Friday night and I think a couple of guys were only there on Saturday but most guys are usually there both days. Glad to see more confirmations from the players. :)

From my experience last year, I think Saturday morning and afternoon seemed much more crowded than Friday night, but when I saw the final numbers it was pretty close between both days. I imagine both days will be very busy this year. :D

Ron Madden
11-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I've never seen it as crowded as it was on Friday night last year.

I still had a great time though.

OnBaseMachine
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Carlos Fisher and Scott Rolen (Friday only) have been confirmed.

HeatherC1212
11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Scott Rolen will probably have a huge line but it's totally worth it to wait for him. I just happened to find myself in his line last year by being in the right place at the right time (the only long line I stood in) and he was really great to all the fans. I got a picture I took of him signed and he even complimented my photo. Great guy and I'm glad he'll be there again. :)

Anyone else happy that Jonny Gomes will finally get a chance to hang out and talk to the fans at Redsfest? He hasn't been signed until after the event the last two years and I think he's going to be a hoot to have there this time. :D

OnBaseMachine
11-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Dave Collins and Juan Lopez have been added.

Chip R
11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Dave Collins and Juan Lopez have been added.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/fan_forum/redsfest.jsp?loc=appearances (http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/fan_forum/redsfest.jsp?loc=appearances)

Evidently, if parents take their children to Reds Fest and they need a nap, they head over to where Dave Collins is at. :p:

OnBaseMachine
11-19-2010, 02:35 PM
From the Reds twitter page:

Now confirmed for #Redsfest: Dusty Baker, Jordan Hotchkiss, Paul Janish, @mrlecure & Drew Stubbs - http://ow.ly/3cHMg

Ghosts of 1990
11-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Going on Friday this year. Would love to meet some RedZoners and have a beer or two afterwards. Maybe we do a RZ meet-up perhaps?

OnBaseMachine
11-24-2010, 11:50 AM
From the Reds twitter page:

Now confirmed for #Redsfest: Johnny Cueto, Juan Francisco, Edinson Volquez & #Reds Hall of Famer Mario Soto - http://ow.ly/3eYD2

OnBaseMachine
11-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Dontrelle Willis now confirmed for #Redsfest

BearcatShane
11-28-2010, 01:30 PM
I'v never been to Redsfest, and I do not currently have tickets for Friday but would like to attend. Can I just go to it Friday, buy a ticket and get in?

Ron Madden
11-28-2010, 03:27 PM
I'v never been to Redsfest, and I do not currently have tickets for Friday but would like to attend. Can I just go to it Friday, buy a ticket and get in?

Yes.

Ron Madden
11-29-2010, 01:16 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20101128/SPT04/11290331/0/SPT04/Redsfest-will-be-a-celebration

HeatherC1212
11-29-2010, 09:31 AM
FYI: That article points out that Thom Brennamen and Scott Rolen are only there on Friday night and that Joey is only there on Saturday so plan accordingly if you're only coming one day. :)

crazybob60
11-29-2010, 11:53 PM
I saw on the Reds website that Pedro Borbon is no longer listed as coming.
Is this true? Or does anyone know if he is still attending?

Ron Madden
11-30-2010, 02:44 AM
I saw on the Reds website that Pedro Borbon is no longer listed as coming.
Is this true? Or does anyone know if he is still attending?

According to the link I posted dated 11/28/10 Pedro Borbon will be there.

OnBaseMachine
11-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Pedro Borbon will not be able to make it now according to the Reds twitter page.

@onbasemachine Unfortunately Pedro will not be able to make #Redsfest now.

Chip R
11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Pedro Borbon will not be abale to make it now according to the Reds twitter page.

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds (http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds)

They couldn't find a hat for him to bite?

crazybob60
12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Pedro Borbon will not be able to make it now according to the Reds twitter page.

Well that sucks.....throws a whole monkey wrench in my plans!!! :(

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Paul O'Neill!

We've just confirmed that Paul O'Neill will appear at a couple of sessions Saturday at #Redsfest

crazybob60
12-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Paul O'Neill!

We've just confirmed that Paul O'Neill will appear at a couple of sessions Saturday at #Redsfest

YES!!!!!

Do they know which day Paul O'Neill will be at, or does it appear he will be there both Friday and Saturday?

crazybob60
12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Do we know anything about the times that the players are going to be signing yet or when they are announced or do we have to wait until we actually get there to find that out?

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Do we know anything about the times that the players are going to be signing yet or when they are announced or do we have to wait until we actually get there to find that out?

You have to wait until you get there. They announce about an hour ahead of time.

O'Neill will be there Saturday only.

George Anderson
12-02-2010, 06:57 PM
YES!!!!!

Do they know which day Paul O'Neill will be at, or does it appear he will be there both Friday and Saturday?

I don't wanna burst your bubble but if you plan on making the long drive from Bowling Green to Cincy just to meet O'Neil then I wouldn't do it. I was at RedsFest last year and I did get autographs from Joe Oliver and Tom Browning but that was it after standing in line for many hours. The lines were very long and the players only stay so long.

crazybob60
12-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Well I am making the drive from Bowling Green on Saturday with my wife. She has never been to anything like this before. I have been to Redsfest twice before. I have that Faces of Riverfront poster that I have signed by over half the guys on it and well I don't want to pass up the opportunity to get O'Neill and Carroll to sign it. That was why I was also so disappointed to see that Borbon was no longer coming, those are the only guys that are going to be there that I need on the poster. I was hoping there would be a few more I needed, but with the people that I still need, I will take them when I can get them. Plus it will be very neat for my wife to see all of this firsthand.

HeatherC1212
12-02-2010, 10:27 PM
In case anyone wants to come say hi to me on Saturday afternoon/evening, I will be helping at the Reds Heads sign up booth for my volunteer shift. I think it will be fun and I can't wait to watch the kids play on everything in the kids area. They usually crack me up trying all the games, LOL :laugh:

BTW-Aroldis is scheduled for both a photo booth and autograph line on Friday so be prepared to find him there and wait in line. Got a sneak peek at the player lists tonight after my volunteer training. It should be a fun Friday! :)

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2010, 10:53 PM
The Chapman autograph lines are probably going to be insane. I remember two years ago when Cueto and Volquez were the tough ones to get, along with Bruce and Votto. Last year it was Larkin, and this year it will be Chapman.

crazybob60
12-03-2010, 02:52 AM
Well, I will be going on Saturday only. Hopefully the lines for O'Neill and Carroll won't be that long, and hopefully those two aren't the very first guys so that we will have time to get in the door. I suspect that I will be able to get Carroll's fairly easily but O'Neill's line will probably be one of the longer lines of the day, especially for those that are former players. Somewhat similar to Eric Davis probably. Don't you all think? I could be mistaken.

crazybob60
12-03-2010, 03:16 AM
Also, one more thing, I know that the last year that I went, which was a few years ago, there were some 'surprise' guys that showed up and signed autographs that weren't announced. I wonder if the Reds or anybody is planning on that this time around? I know that Griffey, Jr. and I believe Larkin has done this in the past. Now I don't expect that out of Griffey anymore since he doesn't play here any longer, but do you all think that someone may possibly do this again, or is it highly unlikely and what they have listed is what is set....

George Anderson
12-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Well, I will be going on Saturday only. Hopefully the lines for O'Neill and Carroll won't be that long, and hopefully those two aren't the very first guys so that we will have time to get in the door. I suspect that I will be able to get Carroll's fairly easily but O'Neill's line will probably be one of the longer lines of the day, especially for those that are former players. Somewhat similar to Eric Davis probably. Don't you all think? I could be mistaken.

My advice is take someone with you and stand in seperate lines for the 2 players you want autographs from. If you only have the one item to be signed then once you get the item autographed go find your spouse/friend who is already standing in line for the other person and hand them the item to be autographed by the second player. If it is anything like last year you will be lucky to even get one item signed but having two people trying to accomplish the task will double your chances.

HeatherC1212
12-03-2010, 09:53 AM
IIRC from the schedule that I got last night (and of course don't have with me at work right now to check for sure), the former players are mainly signing in the Hall of Fame area so you may not have to worry about overlapping lines. Check your Redsfest map/info thing that you get when you walk in the door tomorrow and find out times so you can plan ahead. It seems like the other autograph and photo lines are mainly being used for the current players and staff and the former players are all in the HOF area.

crazybob60
12-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I forget, but will they release the times for the players autographs for both days on Friday, or do they do it separately for each day? If they release them both on Friday, could someone post them here?

Also, do you think anyone else will be added on?

redsmetz
12-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I have a 2-Day Pass that a friend gave me, but I'm unable to go this year. Would someone like it? I have it at my office in Spring Grove Village (formerly Winton Place - Mitchell Ave exit of I-75).

camisadelgolf
12-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I have a 2-Day Pass that a friend gave me, but I'm unable to go this year. Would someone like it? I have it at my office in Spring Grove Village (formerly Winton Place - Mitchell Ave exit of I-75).
edit: This is still available. A friend of mine with an extra ticket just got a hold of me.

redsmetz
12-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Hey, I'd love to pick up that pass, but I won't be off work until 5:00.

edit:
Oops. I got so excited that i forgot to make it a PM.

Gone to the first requester!

redsmetz
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
The 2-day pass is available again. Cam had a friend contact him with a ticket. Any takers? Free to a good home!

crazybob60
12-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Where do you think the best place to park is?

Chip R
12-03-2010, 04:21 PM

There's a few parking garages right around the Convention Center. Not sure how much they are. If you only want to pay $5 and don't mind a bit of a walk, you can park under Fountain Square or under the Westin. But there may be garages nearby for the same amount.

camisadelgolf
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Public transportation is the way to go imho.

Chip R
12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Public transportation is the way to go imho.

That's what I'm doing.

redsmetz
12-03-2010, 04:36 PM

The two Federated garages are generally affordable. The one, which I use less, is right across from the cathedral and is just a couple of blocks from the Convention Center. Access from 7th Street. The other is further down 7th at Vine St (where Skyline is). There's an entrance on 7th and one of Vine. That's a little further, but not terribly far.

crazybob60
12-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I was looking at the Live Twitter feed and didn't see Clay Carroll there tonight. Was he there at all? If not, does he plan on being there tomorrow, or does anybody know?

kbrake
12-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Couple of questions. I usually get off at 5th street should I get off before that for parking? And 2nd I will have a 3 year old with me will he have fun or is it all just stand in autograph lines? Just curious this will be my first Redsfest.

crazybob60
12-03-2010, 10:56 PM
So guys how was it for the first night? I will be driving up tomorrow from Bowling Green. Hope it was a blast tonight and hopefully tomorrow will be a blast as well.

And kbrake, the parking questions I had asked above and I believe the best places to park are mentioned above and for those I believe the best place to get off would still be the 5th Street exit. And your second question about your 3 year old, there is tons more to do there than just get autographs and even though I haven't been in a couple of years they will still have plenty for all ages to do there. He should have a blast!!!!

kbrake
12-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks crazybob I'm really looking forward to it. I'm just hoping the 3 year old enjoys it. He's excited to see Joey Votto and Jay Bruce but he's 3 so might as well be hyped for Santa at this point haha.

HeatherC1212
12-04-2010, 12:17 AM
I get off at 5th and park in the garages right next to Duke Energy center which was $10 for the whole night tonight. It's convenient and you can take the skywalk right into the center.

I had a total blast tonight! I could write a book but I'll spare you the long winded ramble and just give you some highlights. This may turn into a book anyway though so consider this a warning, LOL ;)

*They opened the doors a half hour early tonight so if you get there before 11 am tomorrow, you may get in with a little time to spare to get your bearings. I don't think they've done that in the past.

*Hung out a bit with Jamie Ramsey and his crew which was awesome. My Better Off Red sign is hanging on his back wall and if you check out one of his earlier blog posts you'll see a photo of me holding the sign and I'm happy that I don't look totally dorky in it, LOL :laugh: Also met up with some friends tonight and hung out with them during the on stage celebration and throughout the evening.

*Got a photo with Jeff Brantley, Chris Welsh (who remembered that I teased him about not having a mustache last year, LOL), and Thom Brennaman and they were all awesome. Thankfully this year they're using black backgrounds for all the photos so folks wearing red don't become floating heads.

*Waited in line for a photo with Mike Leake and Bronson and that photo just about makes my life. It turned out REALLY well! I've been trying to get a photo with Bronson for four years and FINALLY, it was my time! :D

*Also got a photo with Logan Ondrusek and Chris Heisey who are really nice guys. Very smiley, very friendly, and in great spirits. Logan is VERY tall. Holy crap, he towered over me! :eek:

*Celebration on the stage was great. The fireworks scared the crap out of me though, LOL :laugh: The crowd was electric and you can tell everyone still wants to celebrate our guys. The loudest cheers during the intros were for Aroldis, Brandon, Scott, Jay, Bronson, and Eric Davis although there were screams for just about everyone tonight. :)

*Awards: Reds Pitcher of Year-Bronson, Good Guy Award-Scott Rolen, Ernie MVP-Joey Votto, Minor League Pitcher-Donnie Joseph, Minor League Hitter-Dave Sappelt, Minor League Good Guy-Jeremy Horst, Minor League Player of Year-Devin Mesoraco

*We watched the Wiffle Ball HR Derby for a while which was totally hilarious! Matt Klinker lost his bat at one point and threw it into the netting (about six feet from hitting my head BTW). Some of the guys missed the ball altogether although a few got some good HRs. Randi Rico from Channel 5 (NBC here in Cincy) blew them all away though and ended being the first non minor leaguer to make the final round! She came in third overall though. Billy Hamilton won, Todd Frazier was second, Randy was third, and Zach Cozart was fourth. Fun event! First time I had ever gotten to see that event at Redsfest. :)

*The kids press conference was a hoot and we didn't even see the whole thing. One kid asked why Mike Leake's fave player wasn't Tony Gwynn growing up since he is from San Diego. Mike's answer was that he got lazy and then got fat which isn't the most PC answer but cracked up the crowd, LOL :laugh: The other one that made me laugh was Logan's choice of a sport he might want to play if he couldn't play baseball. He chose football because he likes to hit people. Jeff Brantley was amazed his sport choice wasn't basketball since 'he's like twenty feet tall', LOL :p:

I volunteer for part of tomorrow afternoon but I'm sure I'll have more adventures to talk about from the festivities anyway. I won't be online much until Sunday though since I'm going out tomorrow night so I'll check in again when I get a chance. Hope everyone coming tomorrow has a great time! :D

kbrake
12-04-2010, 12:23 AM
Heather, thanks for sharing I can not wait for tomorrow. My first Redsfest.

12-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Couple of questions. I usually get off at 5th street should I get off before that for parking? And 2nd I will have a 3 year old with me will he have fun or is it all just stand in autograph lines? Just curious this will be my first Redsfest.

If you want autographs a 3 year old could make it pretty rough. The lines are long. There is alot to do for kids though. Just don't make it all about the autographs.

Brandon Phillips spent a good bit of time pitching wiffle balls to kids. My boys were playing the field and thought it was pretty cool.

12-04-2010, 01:56 AM
I am in Cincinnati at the Hyatt on 5th St. for Redsfest. Just heard sirens then they stopped. 2 firetrucks outside with lights flashing. I'm on the tenth floor. Hope I don't have to jump!

Edit: After 10 minutes the trucks are still there with flashing lights, but no other vehicles. No hoses either.

Edit: After 16 minutes the trucks pull away. I live to see another day.

What an adventure in downtown Cincinnati.

11larkin11
12-04-2010, 06:27 AM
I really wish they would move this. The last two years its been the weekend before finals for OSU (and UC, and a lot of other quarters schools) so there's no way we can get down there.

kbrake
12-04-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm not really into the autographs I just want to see everything and keep the little one entertained for as long as possible. Appreciate everyones input.

Eric_the_Red
12-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Already got pics with BP and Bruce today. Now in line for Votto. Good day!

Caveat Emperor
12-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I bought a box of unopened 1991 Topps "Operation Desert Storm" trading card packs for $4.

Someone at work is *really* going to love their secret santa gift.

crazybob60
12-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Just got back home. My wife and I had a fantastic day up there. Although there were some confusion as to the Paul O'Neill autograph because it wasn't really announced and we didn't know to look in the program for the autographs at the Reds HOF. And when we looked in there, it still said Borbon at that time. Luckily we stopped by and he was signing but they already had the line cut off, but it was still early and we just decided to wait. It paid off and got O'Neill's. It was great time overall!!!! And I was telling my wife how great a trip to Cooperstown would be and now she is all up for a trip up there too. Life is pretty great!!!!

MattyHo4Life
12-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm just curious...can anyone tell me about how much admission and autographs cost? I'm just trying to compare it to the Cardinals Winter Warmup.

OnBaseMachine
12-05-2010, 01:18 AM
I'm just curious...can anyone tell me about how much admission and autographs cost? I'm just trying to compare it to the Cardinals Winter Warmup.

Admission is $25 for two days. Autographs are free. It's a great deal.

OnBaseMachine
12-05-2010, 01:25 AM
I just got back and as usual, I had a blast. I attended both days. Off the top of my head, here are the autos I got: Aroldis Chapman (twice), Joey Votto, Clay Carroll, Jim Maloney, Jerry Lynch, Juan Francisco (twice), Drew Stubbs, Mike Leake, Chris Heisey, Chris Valaika, Dontrelle Willis, Devin Mesoraco, Matt Klinker, and Jordan Hotchkiss. I tried to get Paul O'Neill, Jay Bruce, and Scott Rolen but the lines were cut off before I could get in. Maybe next year.

All the guys were friendly. Chapman was giving everyone a "Your welcome" in english after he signed.

Mike Leake cut his long hair off. I barely recognized him without the hair.

The place was packed both days, but especially today. Without even looking at the official attendance I knew there had to be 20,000+ there, easily. It looks like the official number was close to 22,000, which is great especially when you consider that it snowed today.

Once again, the Reds did a fantastic job putting this together. I had an absolute blast. Kudos to the Reds.

MattyHo4Life
12-05-2010, 01:51 AM

all of them are free? wow! The Cards WW is $40 for 3 days.

Some autographs are free, but most current starters are anywhere from $25-$100.... not including Pujols. It all goes to charity though.

HeatherC1212
12-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Random comment #1 about today: Met and got photos with Devin Mesoraco and Todd Frazier who were both very nice guys.

Random comment #2: Got video of Joey doing a radio interview at the radio booth next to Jamie's BOR lounge. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! :p: (Will post tomorrow)

Random comment #3: My volunteer shift today was exhausting. I was beat halfway through. The kids area is insane. :eek:

Random comment #4: I beat Jamie Ramsey in bowling (also got a Turkey during that game) and plan to lord this over him for a while. This could be fun, LOL :laugh:

Eric_the_Red
12-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I just got back and as usual, I had a blast. I attended both days. Off the top of my head, here are the autos I got: Aroldis Chapman (twice), Joey Votto, Clay Carroll, Jim Maloney, Jerry Lynch, Juan Francisco (twice), Drew Stubbs, Mike Leake, Chris Heisey, Chris Valaika, Dontrelle Willis, Devin Mesoraco, Matt Klinker, and Jordan Hotchkiss. I tried to get Paul O'Neill, Jay Bruce, and Scott Rolen but the lines were cut off before I could get in. Maybe next year.

All the guys were friendly. Chapman was giving everyone a "Your welcome" in english after he signed.

Mike Leake cut his long hair off. I barely recognized him without the hair.

The place was packed both days, but especially today. Without even looking at the official attendance I knew there had to be 20,000+ there, easily. It looks like the official number was close to 22,000, which is great especially when you consider that it snowed today.

Once again, the Reds did a fantastic job putting this together. I had an absolute blast. Kudos to the Reds.

How in the world did you get Aroldis twice? His line was insane.

OnBaseMachine
12-05-2010, 01:00 PM
How in the world did you get Aroldis twice? His line was insane.

Luck, man. We arrived at 1:00 on Friday (three hours early) and they opened the doors a little early which allowed us to get a head start on the huge crowd. Chapman was in the first group of signings (4:15) so that really worked out great for us. He was apparently sick yesterday morning and was sent home but he returned in the afternoon and signed at 5:00. My mom and dad went to the Chapman line and me and a couple buddies went to the Votto line. I was shocked I was able to get Votto because his line was absolutely insane.

HeatherC1212
12-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Even me, the huge Joey fangirl here, won't attempt to get in his lines at Redsfest. It really is insane how long his lines get there and how fast it happens! :eek:

Not sure if I mentioned this in my Friday report but Chris Welsh remembered that I teased him about not having his mustache at last year's Redsfest. Thom and Jeff then teased him about how he still doesn't have onethis year so he must be lazy, LOL :laugh:

MattyHo4Life
12-05-2010, 03:41 PM
How long did it take to get through Votto's line?

OnBaseMachine
12-05-2010, 03:52 PM
How long did it take to get through Votto's line?

He signed very quickly. He signed about 250 autos in probably 35-40 minutes.

RedLegSuperStar
12-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Votto was outstanding.. I went both days and got ran over left and right and didn't come away with a single autograph but when Votto came out to sign he was greeted by my 16 month old daughter and he smiled at her and said hello to her. Well worth every moment spent at RedsFest!

1990REDS
12-05-2010, 09:14 PM
My wife, my son and I went to our first Redsfest this year and we had a great time!(ecspecially my son) The players were super friendly and all the interactive kids stuff was great. It was super crowded but that was probably expected with the success of this years team. I think if it gets any bigger they may have to look at a bigger venue for next year. There definatly seemed to be a buzz at the event and you can tell that people seem to be very excited about the future of this organization.

1990REDS
12-05-2010, 09:18 PM

We also got 2 free game tickets for ordering early online. Ya its for a Pirates game in April, but free is my favorite price. At least its a Friday night game and not a weeknight game.

edabbs44
12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
He signed very quickly. He signed about 250 autos in probably 35-40 minutes.

Was he even looking at the people? That's like one autograph every 10 seconds.

TeamBoone
12-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Redsfest is crowded every year. I doubt it had anything to do with the team's success. It's a very popular event (and well deserved). They do a great job.

MattyHo4Life
12-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Redsfest is crowded every year. I doubt it had anything to do with the team's success. It's a very popular event (and well deserved). They do a great job.

I can imagine. I wish the autographs at the Cardinals Winter Warmup were free. I mean, they have some for free, but anybody that you want will cost some big bucks. I'm hoping Berkman's autograph isn't too expensive, but it may be.

Eric_the_Red
12-05-2010, 10:53 PM

They sold 2.5 more tickets this year than last. I think their success had something to do with that.

HeatherC1212
12-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Was he even looking at the people? That's like one autograph every 10 seconds.

Have you seen Joey's autograph? It only takes about three seconds to write so he'd have a whole seven seconds left to greet the person, LOL :laugh:

Seriously, they run these lines very well but there isn't much time to greet the big name guys when you're getting an autograph or photo because they want to make sure everyone in line gets through it.

corkedbat
12-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Were there any panels or activities other than autographs? I know they used to have Q&A sessions or a You Be the GM type of thing.

HeatherC1212
12-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Were there any panels or activities other than autographs? I know they used to have Q&A sessions or a You Be the GM type of thing.

They had two different interview times with some of the players (one Friday and one Saturday), a Hot Stove League segment with Walt, Bill Bavasi, and Dusty and the other coaches, two different Kids Press Conferences where the kids ask all the questions to the players, and an Ask the Alumni session where some former players talked baseball. I don't remember who all did what but it was a good variety of players for each session. They also did the Reds Idol karaoke contest again this year with Bronson, Mike Leake, and Jamie Ramsey as the judges. I'm mad bummed I missed out on that due to my volunteer shift because I heard it was great.

12-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Votto also signed over by the main stage late Saturday afternoon. I was in the roped off area right in front of where he sat for several minutes. He looked extremely uncomfortable. Several people said their thank yous and he didn't look at them or acknowledge their presence. A few times after signing balls, he just dropped them and let them roll. His mannerisms suggested someone who really did not want to do this. However, he made several comments about the kareoke on the stage to the kid sitting next to him laughing about it.

I'm not suggesting he is rude, or arrogant, or anything else. I just figure he isn't made to do this type of thing. I actually could commend him for doing it anyway despite it possibly being difficult for him.

Or maybe I have no right to assume what goes on in his mind. I'm not slamming him by any means. It's more of an observation that this appears to be very uncomfortable for him.

Chip R
12-06-2010, 09:12 AM
They also did the Reds Idol karaoke contest again this year with Bronson, Mike Leake, and Jamie Ramsey as the judges. I'm mad bummed I missed out on that due to my volunteer shift because I heard it was great.

I saw part of that. Mike Leake played the Simon Cowell role and criticized pretty much everyone who participated.

camisadelgolf
12-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Mike Leake during the kids press conference was the biggest highlight for me personally. One of the kids asked asked Mike Leake, Logan Ondrusek, Bill Bray, and Chris Valaika what their nicknames are. Following their answers, Jeff Brantley said his nickname is 'The Cowboy', to which Leake said, "No one calls him that. He gave himself that name."

OnBaseMachine
12-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Mike Leake during the kids press conference was the biggest highlight for me personally. One of the kids asked asked Mike Leake, Logan Ondrusek, Bill Bray, and Chris Valaika what their nicknames are. Following their answers, Jeff Brantley said his nickname is 'The Cowboy', to which Leake said, "No one calls him that. He gave himself that name."

That's pretty funny.

Leake looks so different with his long hair cut off. Honestly, when I first saw him I thought he was a 12 year old kid.

Homer Bailey
12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
I'd love to see some pictures from those who have them.

HeatherC1212
12-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I posted some photos on Facebook and a few on my Twitter account but I'll try to post some other ones directly here when I get home later tonight.

Eric_the_Red
12-06-2010, 01:20 PM
I'll try to get some pics up today as well.

OnBaseMachine
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Jamie Ramsey has some nice pics up of Jordan Hotchkiss, Matt Maloney, and Sam Lecure. Those are some great guys.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/12/winter-meetings-2010-a-redsfest-recap.html

Redsfan320
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I'm gonna have to get Redsfest someday... looks like a lot of fun.

Ron Madden
12-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I'm gonna have to get Redsfest someday... looks like a lot of fun.

Redsfest is Great, you would love it. I wasn't feeling well so I didn't go this year, wish I would've been there now.

Eric_the_Red
12-06-2010, 09:51 PM
I started a Redsfest picture thread here:
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86964