PDA

View Full Version : Scott Rolen, Brandon Phillips, and Bronson Arroyo win NL Gold Glove Awards

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Per ESPNews.

Jay Bruce got screwed as predicted.

It's Rolen eighth (first since 2006), Phillips' second (first since 2008), and Arroyo's first.

Chip R
11-10-2010, 03:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5788835

Redsfan320
11-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Awesome that 3 Reds got them... but Bruce did get screwed. Awesome work OBM and Chip... 1 minute for the thread, 3 for the sticky.

jojo
11-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Congrats guys and well deserved.

redsfan30
11-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Awesome news!

Bronson Arroyo was completely under the radar. Jay Bruce will get his day.

CarolinaRedleg
11-10-2010, 03:48 PM
NL Central champs, Votto wins the Aaron award, three Gold Glove winners and heavy MVP consideration for Votto?

*Pinch*

Nope. Not dreaming.

Homer Bailey
11-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Jay Bruce 2010 UZR: 20.2.
Shane Victorino UZR: 2.6.
Carlos Gonzalez UZR: -2.7.

Yeah, Bruce didn't deserve a gold glove.

lollipopcurve
11-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Congrats to the winners. Bruce will get there one day.

Especially pleased to see Arroyo get one. I'm not sure I've ever seen his defense commended here.

nemesis
11-10-2010, 03:53 PM
So is Tulo deserved his as well. He is going to be a very wealthy man come FA. Little surprised CarGo got one, especially over Bruce or Torres.

MikeS21
11-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Congrats to the winners. Bruce will get there one day.

Especially pleased to see Arroyo get one. I'm not sure I've ever seen his defense commended here.
Maybe Bronson was waiting to see if he won a GG before he agreed to a contract! :p:

camisadelgolf
11-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Bronson totally deserved it. Jay Bruce was a predictable ripoff, but it probably won't be long before he's earning that award year-in and year-out.

kaldaniels
11-10-2010, 03:59 PM
:beerme:

Didn't see Arroyo getting one...but he deserves it.

HeatherC1212
11-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Congrats to Brandon, Scott, and Bronson for their GGs today!! :jump:

Benihana
11-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Nice to see Reds players getting well-deserved national recognition. Ironically, the three guys who won GG's are arguably not even the top two defenders on the Reds!

camisadelgolf
11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
According to Bill James' fielding bible, Arroyo was the best defensive pitcher in the National League, and Jay Bruce was the best defensive right fielder. In other words, it seems like Arroyo actually deserved the award.

Strikes Out Looking
11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Good news, hopefully we'll have more in the coming days.

As to Bruce, he's young and will get many of them before he is through.

OnBaseMachine
11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
From C. Trent:

Rolen says he can see a lot of #Reds in the future winning Gold Gloves, including Bruce, Stubbs and Votto

http://twitter.com/ctrent

I agree, and all three could win one as soon as next season.

Benihana
11-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Pretty incredible when you consider that the Reds could arguably have a Gold Glover at every position other than C, SS, and LF. And with Janish getting the nod this year, you could possibly cross SS off of that list.

Big Klu
11-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Arroyo is the first Reds P to win a Gold Glove since Harvey Haddix in 1958.

Rolen is the first Reds 3B to win the award.

Redsfan320
11-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Pretty incredible when you consider that the Reds could arguably have a Gold Glover at every position other than C, SS, and LF. And with Janish getting the nod this year, you could possibly cross SS off of that list.

Since we're talking future possibilities, Hanny could get it at C, and possibly (though I don't think so) Heisey in LF. Plus we may be able to hold down P for a while with Wood and Leake.

reds1869
11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Congrats to all three. I am especially thrilled for Arroyo as he doesn't get praised nearly enough for his stellar fielding. Good job, Reds!

Ghosts of 1990
11-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm pretty upset about the Bruce snub. It's beyond preposterous. But I'm happy for Phillips, Arroyo, and Rolen.

RedsManRick
11-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Phillips had a nice year, but I'd really like to see Utley win one. Maybe we can trade and Bruce can get Victorino's.

I saw elsewhere, maybe on Joe Pos's blog, somebody describe the Gold Glove as the players' and managers' opportunity to highlight players who they really respect, who "play the game the right way". I think that's probably a pretty accurate description.

Rojo
11-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Looks like Bruce lost his GG in the lights.

Cedric
11-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Phillips had a nice year, but I'd really like to see Utley win one. Maybe we can trade and Bruce can get Victorino's.

I saw elsewhere, maybe on Joe Pos's blog, somebody describe the Gold Glove as the players' and managers' opportunity to highlight players who they really respect, who "play the game the right way". I think that's probably a pretty accurate description.

What? Rather see Utley win one?

Did you even watch the playoffs? Maybe I'm just a little bit of a fan(atic).

muddie
11-10-2010, 05:30 PM
This bodes well for the organization. Agreed that Bruce will definitely have a few on his mantle when he's done. Love it that Bronson got one.

UKFlounder
11-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Very cool, especially for Bronson.

kaldaniels
11-10-2010, 07:14 PM
What pitchers were expected to contend for the GG this year? Its well deserved for BA...I just never saw his name up for consideration which left me suprised today.

Wheelhouse
11-10-2010, 08:38 PM

If Mesorasco joins the team in 2011, C could possibly be crossed off too!

Ron Madden
11-11-2010, 03:52 AM
Congrats to Scott, Brandon and Bronson for their Gold Gloves.

Jay Bruce deserved one as well.

jojo
11-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Looks like Bruce lost his GG in the lights.

Actually the voting is done during the last couple weeks of the regular season.

He may have lost his in July.

Roy Tucker
11-11-2010, 07:57 AM
I always though Arroyo was a good baseball player besides being a good pitcher. Hitting, base running, and fielding, he has good instincts, form, and ability (not to mention he's got the adjusting-his-cup thing down pat).

But silly me, but I was surprised that he won a GG. It just never dawned on me that he was GG caliber. Duh.

I do wish they'd vote in the best LF, CF, and RF still. The OF GG's are always CF heavy. Each OF position has its different characteristics that get called into play and I'd like to see that rewarded.

Redsfan320
11-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I do wish they'd vote in the best LF, CF, and RF still. The OF GG's are always CF heavy. Each OF position has its different characteristics that get called into play and I'd like to see that rewarded.

ABSOLUTELY. It's ridiculous. Three different positions, three different awards.

bucksfan2
11-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Did Rolen deserve this?

Don't get me wrong it was refreshing to watch Rolen play 3b for the Reds. But to me it appeared like he had lost a little bit defensively last season. He is still one heck of a defender, just not the one that he was 5 years ago.

pahster
11-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Did Rolen deserve this?

Don't get me wrong it was refreshing to watch Rolen play 3b for the Reds. But to me it appeared like he had lost a little bit defensively last season. He is still one heck of a defender, just not the one that he was 5 years ago.

Headley or Zimmerman probably deserved it more, but Rolen wasn't an awful selection. He was still a very good defender last year. Utley probably should have beat Phillips, though.

Torres and Bruce definitely got screwed. Oh, well.

bucksfan2
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Headley or Zimmerman probably deserved it more, but Rolen wasn't an awful selection. He was still a very good defender last year. Utley probably should have beat Phillips, though.

Torres and Bruce definitely got screwed. Oh, well.

Torres got screwed.

Utley played 115 games this season, BP 155. Big difference here if you ask me. BP deserved it more than Utley.

pahster
11-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Torres got screwed.

Utley played 115 games this season, BP 155. Big difference here if you ask me. BP deserved it more than Utley.

The difference between the number of innings Utley played in the field and the number that Rolen played was marginal at best (Mauer also played way less than either). If you think the lack of playing time should eliminate Utley from consideration, you should hold Rolen to the same standard.

M2
11-11-2010, 05:13 PM
How close is Rolen to the HOF?

This is Glove Glove number 8 for him. Only Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt have more at 3B. And Rolen has been winning these awards over a 13-season span.

He just topped the 300 HR plateau this season. He's sitting on 1,212 RBI. Next year he should surpass 2,000 hits and 500 doubles (Rolen's extra-base hit % of 42.3 is exceptional). While he's no George Brett or Chipper Jones at the plate, he's a much better defender. And he's a much better hitter than Brooks Robinson.

If you had to make a list of the top 10 3Bs ever to play the game, I've got to believe Rolen would be on it.

Basically, far as I can tell, Rolen's in a dead heat with Ron Santo (best 3B not in the HOF) at this moment, and there's no sane reason for Santo not to be there. Yet the HOF has done a remarkably good job of ignoring Santo. So maybe it's two questions that need to be answered for Rolen: How close is he to putting a capstone on a HOF-worthy career and will that be enough to get him in the HOF?

traderumor
11-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I have to agree that Uttley losing 25% of the season eliminates him from GG consideration, just like it did Phillips when he lost it by missing the last month of the season in another season. I also think using the defensive metrics as an argument begs the question.

pahster
11-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I have to agree that Uttley losing 25% of the season eliminates him from GG consideration, just like it did Phillips when he lost it by missing the last month of the season in another season. I also think using the defensive metrics as an argument begs the question.

Do you think Rolen's was undeserved, then?

traderumor
11-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Do you think Rolen's was undeserved, then?

Rolen had short DL stints and rest that limited his action. Utley missed his time consecutively, a huge chunk at one time, so I do not think that I am being inconsistent in that respect. It is hard to argue for a GG for someone that missed that large of a chunk of a season consecutively. Saying "well, Rolen fielded the same number of games" is a misleading statement.

Honestly, I was surprised to see Rolen win, but not for that reason. I didn't think he had that good of a reputation still to be voted GG caliber. He plays a heckuva third base, it is GG caliber, I just didn't think they'd give it to the old guy over Zimmerman.

pahster
11-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Rolen had short DL stints and rest that limited his action. Utley missed his time consecutively, a huge chunk at one time, so I do not think that I am being inconsistent in that respect. It is hard to argue for a GG for someone that missed that large of a chunk of a season consecutively. Saying "well, Rolen fielded the same number of games" is a misleading statement.

Honestly, I was surprised to see Rolen win, but not for that reason. I didn't think he had that good of a reputation still to be voted GG caliber. He plays a heckuva third base, it is GG caliber, I just didn't think they'd give it to the old guy over Zimmerman.

Rolen only played the field for about 70 more innings than did Utley. What's the difference between missing all of your time at once and missing it sporadically?

Ron Madden
11-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Rolen only played the field for about 70 more innings than did Utley. What's the difference between missing all of your time at once and missing it sporadically?

My honest answer is there is no difference.

traderumor
11-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Rolen only played the field for about 70 more innings than did Utley. What's the difference between missing all of your time at once and missing it sporadically?"Only" 70 more innings is part of your answer. That's nearly eight more full games. But the real difference is in perception. When you are not out there for that long a time consecutively, you fall victim to out of sight, out of mind. There is also something to be said for leaning toward the guy who did it day after day for a full season. That is where the block of time missed creates a distinction versus missing a game here, a few games there, but never totally out of the picture.

You may not see it as legitimate, but the GG is essentially the MVP of D at your position. An MVP is usually never selected that misses a large portion of the season, esp playing less than 120 games, even if the person put up monster numbers. That is really where I am coming from. It is really hard to give someone an award that missed over a month of the season consecutively.