PDA

View Full Version : Bermanisms

savafan
11-12-2010, 02:56 AM
I know Chris Berman is loud and annoying, but when I was younger, way back in the day, and used to stay up late to watch Baseball Tonight on ESPN before going to bed and having to get up early in the morning for school, I used to love some of the clever nicknames that Berman would throw out there for players.

I think the one that sticks with me the most is Bert "Be Home" Blyleven. Some of my other favorites were:

Roberto "Remember The" Alomar
Albert "Winnie The" Pujols
Mark Carreon "My Wayward Son"
Eddie "Eat, Drink & Be" Murray

I know it's not a Reds news related topic, nor is it relative that anything current, and there's no way to use stats to back up your arguments pro or con, but I thought it'd be a fun topic to throw out there. Aside from the Mr. Roboto theme, and Arthur "Take Me Home, Country" Rhodes, I was trying to come up with some Chris Berman like nicknames for current Reds players. Anybody got any?

Phhhl
11-12-2010, 03:18 AM
I've never been able to get past the following Chris Berman meltdown:

Consider yourselves warned of the profanity. He comes across as an intolerable a** in this candid clip.

savafan
11-12-2010, 03:31 AM

Consider yourselves warned of the profanity. He comes across as an intolerable a** in this candid clip.

Holy crap, and then he picks up a beer and takes a drink!

I've heard way worse stories about Berman. I have no love for the man, just his clever use of language... well, not like in that clip

mth123
11-12-2010, 05:54 AM
I know Chris Berman is loud and annoying, but when I was younger, way back in the day, and used to stay up late to watch Baseball Tonight on ESPN before going to bed and having to get up early in the morning for school, I used to love some of the clever nicknames that Berman would throw out there for players.

I think the one that sticks with me the most is Bert "Be Home" Blyleven. Some of my other favorites were:

Roberto "Remember The" Alomar
Albert "Winnie The" Pujols
Mark Carreon "My Wayward Son"
Eddie "Eat, Drink & Be" Murray

I know it's not a Reds news related topic, nor is it relative that anything current, and there's no way to use stats to back up your arguments pro or con, but I thought it'd be a fun topic to throw out there. Aside from the Mr. Roboto theme, and Arthur "Take Me Home, Country" Rhodes, I was trying to come up with some Chris Berman like nicknames for current Reds players. Anybody got any?

I enjoyed those. my favorites were Ken "Good evening Mr." Phelps, Kevin "Smallmouth" Bass, and Steve "Alto" Sax.

camisadelgolf
11-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Ryan "Now" Hanigan "Was an Irish Man"
Brandon "Flathead or" Phillips
Scott Rolen "on the River"

OesterPoster
11-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Yeah, at one point in time, I liked his nicknames too. I even had a day-to-day desk calendar with a different name on each day. One of my favorites has always been:

Mike "let go of my" Gallego

Unassisted
11-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Top 10 Chris Berman baseball nicknames (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/218973-top-10-chris-berman-baseball-nicknames).

The Operator
11-12-2010, 08:52 AM
In game threads, we could say "You're with me, Leather!" every time a Reds defender makes a good play. :D

bucksfan2
11-12-2010, 08:54 AM
My favorite all time Berman nickname was Eric "sleeping with" Bieniemy.

Johnny Footstool
11-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Von "Purple" Hayes
Tim "Purple" Raines
Jay "Thurston B." Howell "III"

medford
11-12-2010, 11:12 AM
like many, I remembered when that was fun, then it seemed like it became a crutch for him, if he couldn't give someone a nickname, he wasn't doing his job, even if there was no nick name to be given.

Anyhoo, my favorite, though its not a nickname, was his John Carney bit any time he hit a game winning field goal.

cumberlandreds
11-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Mark "Eve of Destruction" McGwire. Turned out to be very prophetic.

CarolinaRedleg
11-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Orestes "Mentally" Destrada
Chuck E. "Baby You Can Drive My" Carr
John "All In All It's Just Another Brick In The" Vander Wal

WMR
11-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Chris "Please Retire" Berman

MartyFan
11-12-2010, 06:25 PM

I had never seen that before.

Aside from the profanity, his rant is totally justifiable if what he says happened did indeed take place. Big money spent by advertisers on that show and everyone on a set KNOWS that you make minimal movement when a desk personality is "live" because their focus needs to be on making contact with the viewer and the teleprompter...the ONLY time anyone moves on a set is in the instance of some sort of emergency.

When I was younger I worked part time at a TV station in Columbus and there was a fire off the main studio during a newscast...nobody in the studio moved while we were live...nobody extinguished the fire during that time either. We did break earlier into commercials to get the fire contained.

Anyway, if any of us would have moved around like he is describing, we would have been fired.

BTW, I am not a fan of Berman and turn the channel when comes on but it has nothing to do ith this rant...it is because he is annoying to listen to.

BTW, get rid of Stewart Scott too...he is nothing but a glorified groupie.

Spitball
11-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I doubt many realize Berman admits he actually lifted the name schtick from Peter Gammons. In his early years with The Boston Globe, Gammons would use nicknames as inside jokes on player's appearance, personality, or intelligence. My favorite Gammons' nickname was for a White Sox pitcher Bart "Toys in the Attic" Johnson.

RichRed
11-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Not really a Bermanism, but I can't see Edgar Renteria without singing to the tune of Sublime's "Santeria."

"I don't practice Renteria..."

Razor Shines
11-12-2010, 11:49 PM

I don't like Berman at all. I'm not even a fan of Bermanisms, I just find him annoying. Having said that, I really don't have a big problem with that clip. Clearly he shouldn't react the way he does in the clip but the anger is most likely justified. I'm sure it happens to most people in TV at some point and I'm sure most of them feel really bad about it afterwards. It's like that Christian Bale blow up from a couple years ago.

Johnny Footstool
11-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Not really a Bermanism, but I can't see Edgar Renteria without singing to the tune of Sublime's "Santeria."

"I don't practice Renteria..."

I thought he was Edgar "Trailers for sale or" Renteria.

But I like your idea.

TheNext44
11-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Oddibe "young again" McDowell

Phhhl
11-13-2010, 12:20 AM
I don't like Berman at all. I'm not even a fan of Bermanisms, I just find him annoying. Having said that, I really don't have a big problem with that clip. Clearly he shouldn't react the way he does in the clip but the anger is most likely justified. I'm sure it happens to most people in TV at some point and I'm sure most of them feel really bad about it afterwards. It's like that Christian Bale blow up from a couple years ago.

I REALLY don't think behavior like that is ever justified. But, I probably should not have posted it here given the nature of the original thread.

There was a clip of Dick Vitale big leaguing a local television station when he had no idea the camera was on one time too. Started in on how he was "Dickie V" and this podunk tv station had no business wasting his time, or something like that. Very similar to the spirit behind this rant by Berman. I can't get past what a phoney Vitale is either.

These guys really need to watch "A Face in the Crowd" sometime. Don't build a career on some charicature that has absolutely nothing to do with who you really are.

Razor Shines
11-13-2010, 12:40 AM
I REALLY don't think behavior like that is ever justified. But, I probably should not have posted it here given the nature of the original thread.

There was a clip of Dick Vitale big leaguing a local television station when he had no idea the camera was on one time too. Started in on how he was "Dickie V" and this podunk tv station had no business wasting his time, or something like that. Very similar to the spirit behind this rant by Berman. I can't get past what a phoney Vitale is either.

These guys really need to watch "A Face in the Crowd" sometime. Don't build a career on some charicature that has absolutely nothing to do with who you really are.

Sure it's not justified, but it happens. I don't really think that blowing up about people you work with being unprofessional is the same as thinking your audience is a bunch of dopes.

As far as the Dickie V thing, well is he really building a career based on something he's not? I think he's a guy with a big personality, who loves college basketball, cares about raising money for cancer and is also kinda full of himself.

Yachtzee
11-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Ozzie "Like A" Virgil
John "I am not a" Kruk
Chris Ber"man I wish he'd shut his pie hole."

BoydsOfSummer
11-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Berman and Olbermann started the ruination of sportscasting and ESPN. I'm sooo over ESPN. That aside, one of my favorite Bermanism's was.....Mike "Enough" Aldrete.

OldXOhio
11-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Berman and Olbermann started the ruination of sportscasting and ESPN. I'm sooo over ESPN. That aside, one of my favorite Bermanism's was.....Mike "Enough" Aldrete.

You're spot on here. They've both defined boorish behavior.

And my own favorite - John "hey hey you you get off of" Mcleod.

paintmered
11-14-2010, 11:23 PM

I've hated on ESPN plenty though the years, but they've drastically improved SportsCenter over what it was five years ago. It was nearly unwatchable back then.

Berman needs to go, though. He's the one holdover.

Yachtzee
11-18-2010, 02:05 PM
You're spot on here. They've both defined boorish behavior.

And my own favorite - John "hey hey you you get off of" Mcleod.

I find it fascinating that Berman worships at the alter of the old voices of NFL Films, John Facenda and Harry Kallas, yet his own style is the polar opposite. I grew up on those old NFL Film game highlights, where even the most hapless of teams were treated as the underdog or the David facing the Goliath of the Steelers, Raiders, or Cowboys. Every team got a positive spin and, even though you knew the outcome of the game, Facenda and Kallas narrated them as though the loser had a glimmer of hope until the final whistle. With Berman, and Olberman when he was with ESPN, you couldn't help hearing in their voices dripping with sarcasm the contempt they had for franchises that weren't the anointed few. I guess Berman and Olberman represented the shift in sportscasting that has occurred in other national network news coverage, where the ideal of journalistic objectivity has been replaced by overt partisanship.

Hap
11-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Bermanisms were overdone to the point of being extremely unfunny and tiresome.

max venable
11-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Jim "Two silhouettes on" Deshaies
Bernard "Innocent until proven" Gilkey
Scott Supercalifragilisticexpiala Brosius
Chuck "new kids on" Knoblauch

are some of my faves

MississippiRed
11-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I can't believe noone has said, Bert 'be home' Blyleven.

WVRedsFan
11-20-2010, 12:27 AM
How about Jose 'Blame it on' Rijo?

It's entertainment folks. Nothing more. And Boomer never does baseball anymore. I watch MLB network these days.

Spitball
11-20-2010, 11:22 PM
How about Jose 'Blame it on' Rijo?

I loved that one along with Mario "scotch and" Soto.

It's entertainment folks. Nothing more. And Boomer never does baseball anymore. I watch MLB network these days.

I agree on the entertainment angle, but I believe he did a game this year where he pegged Heisey with Chris "Piracy on the" Heisey after a great catch in right.

Johnny Footstool
11-21-2010, 02:33 AM
Did he ever do this one?
Shin Soo "Big League "Choo

GADawg
11-21-2010, 09:51 PM
one of my favorites was Dwight "boy he's a " Gooden.....never heard the Scott Brosious one...love that one