PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch help

11-13-2010, 01:20 PM
My son wants an Ipod Touch for Christmas. To convince me, he says he would be happy with a second
generation unit that's available on Amazon alot cheaper than a new fourth generation one. I told him he'd probably change his mind about that one. Does anyone here know what the fourth generation does that the second generation doesn't? How do they compare? I know absolutely nothing about these things and I'd appreciate some advice.

GIK
11-13-2010, 02:44 PM
There were significant improvements made with the 16/32GB 3rd gen iPod Touch models (not the 8GB). They use the same processor as the iPhone 3GS, i.e. "faster". If not getting the 4th gen, I'd go for one of those if possible. 4th gen has a camera, though...

OldRightHander
11-13-2010, 09:53 PM
Just go for the new one. He's going to want it eventually anyway.

NorrisHopper30
11-14-2010, 05:29 AM
All itouches are pretty cool, regardless of generation. I'm not sure which one I have (i know it's newer because it has speakers on it), but I think he'd be happy with a 2nd. It's not really a thing that i'm dying to upgrade, I've never even considered it actually.

Caseyfan21
11-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Just go for an iPhone. He's going to want it eventually anyway.

The iPod touch is nothing but a gateway to eventually getting an iPhone. ;)

Razor Shines
11-14-2010, 07:17 PM
You could get him an iPOD and also get him this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/10/sprint-zte-peel-officially-announced-adds-a-little-3g-to-your-i/

Networking, Peripherals
Sprint ZTE Peel officially announced, adds a little 3G to your iPod touch
By Nilay Patel posted Nov 10th 2010 10:00AM
As expected, Sprint's just announced the ZTE Peel for the iPod touch will arrive on November 14th. The $79 slider case for Apple's media player features a built-in mobile WiFi hotspot, essentially turning your iPod into a bulky iPhone without a native phone or SMS app.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/url8.jpg

WVRed
11-17-2010, 06:13 PM
I have a 3G iPod that I bought as a "graduation present to myself". The 3G is much better than the 2G, and the only thing you are missing with the 4G is the camera and Facetime.

If your son is looking at it for music only, I would definitely go the iPod 3G route. The Genius program alone is worth it (pick a song and it creates a playlist based on that song).

If he is looking at it for the apps, games, and internet, you would be better off to go the iPhone route. The iPod is WiFi only and you are limited to wherever a hotspot is available (McDonalds, Panera, or home).

Whatever you decide, I would stick with a 3G model. They will be considerably cheaper with the 4G's out and you aren't missing much.

11-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I got him the 4th generation 8 GB for $199.00 plus a free $25.00 gift certificate on amazon on a special offer. Toys R Us had it last night at 10:00 PM for 219.00 with a 50.00 gift cert but sold out before I could get one. My one and only Black Friday experience. I figure in the end $174.00 is about as good as I'll find.

My wife found one at Sam's Club for $219.00 without a gift cert. That's going back.

IslandRed
11-26-2010, 01:26 PM

It can work in reverse, though. When I upgraded my iPhone to the 4, the missus kept my deactivated 3G and uses it like a Touch, since she was perfectly happy with her non-smartphone-phone. (I was happy with that arrangement, too, since it meant I didn't have to fork over for two data plans.)

mole44
11-27-2010, 01:03 AM

Or once he gets an Ipod, he will want nothing to do with an Iphone and avoid them at all costs.....oh wait, that was me

RedsMan3203
12-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Just purchased the 32gb iTouch last week and I love it. I can see why the phones are pretty popular. To bad they are on such a crappy AT&T network.

Really, with the free wifi spots around town, plus home network thats all I need.

Slacker is cached, I have all my music in one spot and just jam away. I've also purchased what they call a Pocket Dock and love it. Small and Compact. Charges your iTouch/Phone via Mini USB and had a Line Out plug for your AUX hook up in the car/stereo. And the sound of the music is far better than your normal headphone jack.

If I had some advice, I'd go with either a refurb 3rd gen from the Apple Store or the small 4th Gen they have out now. Make sure you get the protection plan!

RedsManRick
12-04-2010, 12:56 AM
You should check out the "viber" app. It's like Skype, but better. Free phone calls over wifi to anywhere in the world who also has viber.