PDA

View Full Version : Christmas time...

TeamSelig
11-13-2010, 05:33 PM
I need some good gift ideas for my wife. I have a few good ideas, but they are a bit expensive...

Ipad..... $499
Ipod touch.... $229 (for 8 gb)

Then, I thought about maybe a lap top for school (resuming college starting Jan.). We have one already, but this way we could have a computer at home while she is in class. She is really big on the touch screen stuff, so I was thinking a touch screen lab top would be perfect. Too bad the cheapest one i've found is like $350-400. Most being $1,000+

Any ideas? I guess I could buy a cheap computer for home and let her use my lap top. Or try
to find a cheap mini w/o touch screen.

paintmered
11-13-2010, 07:28 PM
What is your budget?

Roy Tucker
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Quit being practical.

You can never go wrong with diamonds or pearls. Or gold.

She'll tell you its too extravagant, she'll tell you she doesn't need them, she'll tell you its too much money and we need to spend it on something else, but she'll melt into a puddle and love you for it and she'll wear them all the time.

TeamSelig
11-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Hoping to keep it under 200.

Blimpie
11-15-2010, 08:56 AM
XBox 360

:cool:

Reds4Life
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
You aren't going to get much in the way of a laptop for under $200. With your options, I would probably go with the iPod Touch.

TeamSelig
11-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah, prob going to need to open up the budget...

savafan
11-16-2010, 01:47 AM
Surprisingly, I got a nice Acer laptop from Big Lots.

redsfandan
11-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Something practical.

Something to pamper her.

And, something sentimental.

Reds Nd2
11-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Unless she's like my wife, she's probably dropped some hints about what she wants. Try suprising her with some gifts she wouldn't buy for herself. You can buy a heck of a lot of presents for $200.00.

Reds Nd2
11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Quit being practical.

You can never go wrong with diamonds or pearls. Or gold.

I agree about not being practical. It could be something as simple as her favorite movie that she's always wanted but wouldn't spend the money on herself. I picked up a copy of Cool Hand Luke off of E-Bay for under $6.00 with shipping for my wifes birthday a couple of weeks ago. She loved it and didn't care that it was used. I got another hug, a cup of coffee, and her telling me how wonderful I am this morning for that gift. It's the small thoughtful gifts that show your really listening to her that she will remember.

thatcoolguy_22
11-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Trampoline. I'm a horrible gift giver. You have been warned.

Yachtzee
11-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I'd say that if you have a good idea of her sizes and fashion sense, get her some clothes and/or jewelry. Most women love clothes (but not necessarily sexy lingerie, which ends up looking more like a gift for you). If you don't feel comfortable buying clothes for her, try asking one of her good friends or family members to go with you. They might tell you what stores she prefers for buying clothes. Sometimes women have a favorite store where you could buy just about anything there and not go wrong, as long as it's her size. They might also be able to stop you from making a bad purchase. Of course, even if she doesn't like it, she'll appreciate the effort and, assuming you saved the gift receipt, she'll be able to exchange it for something she likes. Don't make the mistake of just getting her a gift card unless she expressly asks for one. It looks like you're not putting in the effort. Things like handbags are trickier, so unless she really wants a Coach bag and you just happen to live near an outlet mall with a Coach store, I'd avoid handbags.

I'd say that unless she has hinted that she really wants a particular electronic device, don't get it. I've found that when I buy that kind of stuff for my wife, even when she hints about it, it usually ends up getting used for a few months and then sitting on a shelf until my kids or I decide to commandeer it for our own use.

That's my experience of 10 years of gift giving for a particular woman. Result may vary.

WVRed
11-17-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm going the engagement ring route. It's time.

Probably belongs in another thread, but thats my idea for Christmas. :)

WMR
11-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Oh God, get this man an intervention PRE-XMAS gift. :D

paintmered
11-17-2010, 08:38 PM

Congrats. But take some advice from one guy who just popped the question to another who's about to:

The engagement ring should not be given as a gift for any holiday, period. If she breaks off the engagement for some reason (and I certainly hope she doesn't), that ring is still hers if it was a Christmas present. Having an idea of what engagement rings cost, you should protect yourself and what you paid for that ring.

Pop the question a week before Christmas and she won't care what her real Christmas present is. Good luck. :)

Red Leader
11-17-2010, 11:18 PM
paint, how'd you get so wise?...it's like I've watched you get all growed up!!
Awesome advice, buddy.

TeamSelig
11-18-2010, 10:37 AM
Congrats. But take some advice from one guy who just popped the question to another who's about to:

The engagement ring should not be given as a gift for any holiday, period. If she breaks off the engagement for some reason (and I certainly hope she doesn't), that ring is still hers if it was a Christmas present. Having an idea of what engagement rings cost, you should protect yourself and what you paid for that ring.

Pop the question a week before Christmas and she won't care what her real Christmas present is. Good luck. :)

I proposed for Christmas 4 years ago and it worked for me. Then again, the ring wasn't expensive ;)

RedsBaron
11-18-2010, 12:41 PM
I proposed during December (way back in 1986) and gave her an engagment ring, but that wasn't her Christmas present. To me, an engagement ring was for the wedding and wasn't a subsititute for a Christmas gift.

TeamSelig
11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Well... I bought other gifts too. It wasn't the only gift, but I did save it for last.

Blimpie
11-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Trampoline. I'm a horrible gift giver. You have been warned.Well played, my friend....

:cool:

TeamSelig
11-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Just an update... I think i've decided on getting her a Netbook. No touch screen, but its a cheap alternative to a laptop. Seems like it will run word, powerpoint, etc. just fine. I think it will be perfect for her college. It will also probably fit in her purse lol. I've seen a few for about 150 (10") and as low as 79.99 (7").

WVRed
11-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I proposed during December (way back in 1986) and gave her an engagment ring, but that wasn't her Christmas present. To me, an engagement ring was for the wedding and wasn't a subsititute for a Christmas gift.

Obviously I am going to buy her other things, but the ring is going to be the "big thing".

I am definitely going to heed the advice. We are both looking for better jobs before ultimately getting married, and with the economy, it could be awhile.

Jpup
12-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Obviously I am going to buy her other things, but the ring is going to be the "big thing".

I am definitely going to heed the advice. We are both looking for better jobs before ultimately getting married, and with the economy, it could be awhile.

don't get engaged if you don't play on getting married within 6 months. If you aren't ready to get married, you shouldn't ask her to marry you. Get her a promise ring and save your cash.

WVRed
12-01-2010, 09:43 PM
don't get engaged if you don't play on getting married within 6 months. If you aren't ready to get married, you shouldn't ask her to marry you. Get her a promise ring and save your cash.

Her parents were engaged for four years before they got married so the six month thing while good in theory can work the opposite.

We have talked and we are both committed to each other and have no desire to see anybody else. We have dated for a year and a half and also dated sometime before that.

All I know is I love this girl and I want to spend the rest of my life with her, but I want to be able to provide (or at least both of us make enough) to where we can live on our own without any assistance.

As far as the promise ring goes, thats more for teenagers. :)

WVRed
12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I should mention that I am going on Sunday to buy the ring, but I am going to propose earlier than Christmas for the reason paint listed. :) (that and I dont want to associate it as a Christmas gift)

Hoosier Red
12-06-2010, 09:20 AM

That's interesting advice Jpup. My wife and I were engaged for 18 months, but that was mainly because we got married after she graduated from college. The funny thing was that we ended up being engaged longer than we had been dating previous to the engagement.

Not exactly how you draw it up but as they say in golf, a birdie is a birdie, it all looks good on the scorecard.

Best of luck WVRed.

PedroBourbon
12-07-2010, 09:35 AM
a copy of Cool Hand Luke off of E-Bay for under $6.00 with shipping for my wifes birthday.

You are a lucky man. I would have to see my wife cry if I pulled that one.

WVRed
12-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Proposed tonight, she said yes. Christmas came early. :)

paintmered
12-11-2010, 02:00 AM

Congrats!

muddie
12-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Congratulations.

cumberlandreds
12-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Congrats! Welcome to the brotherhood of married men. :)

Ghosts of 1990
12-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Pandora bracelet and a meaningful charm

Reds Nd2
12-18-2010, 10:43 PM
You are a lucky man. I would have to see my wife cry if I pulled that one.

She is a great one!

My wife I mean...I don't know you're wife. :)