PDA

View Full Version : AL Cy Young

redsfandan
11-14-2010, 01:23 PM
The award will be announced Thursday, 11/18, at 2 pm.

Who would you pick?

*BaseClogger*
11-14-2010, 05:26 PM
When someone leads the league in ERA and innings pitched they should probably win the CY...

redsfandan
11-16-2010, 07:18 AM
When someone leads the league in ERA and innings pitched they should probably win the CY...
Yeah, he did have a great year. But, I won't be surprised if he doesn't win it. Just because Greinke and Lincecum won last year despite having only 16 and 15 wins respectively doesn't mean that Felix's lower total of 13 wins will be ignored. He's got a good shot but I just don't think it's a lock.

camisadelgolf
11-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Felix Hernandez pitched the best, but it's really difficult to bring myself to pick him. It's a two-man race between him and CC Sabathia in my eyes, but ultimately, I would pick King Felix despite his record.

NJReds
11-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Price and Buchholtz were darn good, too. A lot of good pitching efforts this year in the AL. I went with Price, pitching in a pennant race in the AL East. But I understand why some would go with Felix or CC.

blumj
11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Seems a Venezuelan journalist spilled the beans, having seen a certain Venezuelan pitcher celebrating.

westofyou
11-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Get off my lawn alert:

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=2621

Just a few years ago a pitcher with a 13-12 record would never have been considered for the Cy Young award. But last year Zack Greinke won the A,L, award with 16 victories and Tim Lincecum won his second straight National League award with 15 wins.

The development, I believe, is directly related to the growing influence of the new-fangled statistics which readers of this site know I have no use for, a fact that sends stats-freak denizens of the blogosphere into a stats-freak frenzy.

“Look out, he’s at it again” the cry will go out, as if a carrier of the black plague were loose in the land. And a flood of e-mail messages will pour in to my inbox calling me vile names (they are only the best educated and articulate of responders) and telling me I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Red Leader
11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Reports are being leaked that Felix Hernandez has, indeed, won the AL Cy Young Award.

redsfan30
11-18-2010, 02:03 PM
It's officially Felix Hernandez.

marcshoe
11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
If I had voted in the poll I would have probably went with Price, but after listening to Mel Antonin on XM 175 just now, I'm no longer sure. He voted for Price and was upset about Felix winning because he said in the end, were what mattered. The topper for me was when he said that the people voting for Felix were the same one who complained about Jeter winning the Gold Glove and said he had limited range, while the managers and coaches knew that Jeter was the guy you wanted if you wanted to win.

So he's making me doubt my choice. After all that, I hate to agree with him about Price.

Felix was great anyway, even if his team didn't come through.

dougdirt
11-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Get off my lawn alert:

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=2621

Besides his otherwise impressive statistics, the best argument Hernandez has going for him is his lack of run support. Elias Sports Bureau says the Marinersí 3.06 runs per Hernandez start was the A.L.ís lowest. The Mariners say in Hernandezís 12 losses, the team scored a total of seven runs while he was in the game.

I accept that those figures represent terrible run support and would make it difficult for any pitcher to win. But not impossible. I have long believed that good pitchers find a way to win.

Actually Murray, it would be impossible for any pitcher to have won those games, as in order to win your team must score at least 1 run and 7 runs in 12 games makes it absolutely impossible to win at least 5 of those games if the 7 runs came 1 per game.

marcshoe
11-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Actually Murray, it would be impossible for any pitcher to have won those games, as in order to win your team must score at least 1 run and 7 runs in 12 games makes it absolutely impossible to win at least 5 of those games if the 7 runs came 1 per game.

If he were a really good pitcher, he would have insisted on batting for himself and hit three home runs a game, then gone after the other team's best player's knees with his bat! He just didn't want it bad enough!

nemesis
11-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Wow. That Murray guy is just... Wow. Gesh I mean... Wow. He really? Wow.

dougdirt
11-18-2010, 06:03 PM
More on Chass and his comparison of Felix to Steve Carlton's magical season..... Carlton's run support was just 3% lower than the league average. Felix Hernandez had a run support 31% lower than the league average this year. But sure, the two situations are comparable.

Johnny Footstool
11-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Nice tactic to generate readership, Mr. Chass.