PDA

View Full Version : Phillies hire Sandberg to manage AAA club

redsmetz
11-16-2010, 06:55 AM
I didn't see that besides not hiring Ryne Sandberg, the Cubs didn't offer him a job to return to manage their AAA club. I see from this Times article that the Phillies have hired him to manage at AAA Lehigh Valley.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/16/sports/baseball/16kepner.html?ref=sports

JaxRed
11-16-2010, 09:08 AM
They did offer him the AAA job, but waited a few days. He turned it down. Probably a good move for him as it probably makes him the front runner to replace Manuel who will be 67 in 2 months, and if Quade fails in Chicago, everyone will be saying "we should have hired Rino".

redsmetz
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
They did offer him the AAA job, but waited a few days. He turned it down. Probably a good move for him as it probably makes him the front runner to replace Manuel who will be 67 in 2 months, and if Quade fails in Chicago, everyone will be saying "we should have hired Rino".

I had missed that they finally offered it, but did catch that they was a pause. Sandberg did give his reasoning for moving on too, as mentioned in the article, and you're right; it's a good move in both ways for Sandberg.

Chip R
11-16-2010, 11:06 AM

Yeah, I don't know about that. Manuel probably isn't going to go anywhere soon and Ryno may not wait around to take that job - even if it were offered to him. Philly's got no ties to him (except that they drafted him) like CHI did. I think Ryno should pay his dues in the bushes a few more years before someone gives him a big league job.

UKFlounder
11-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Would he be better off finding a big-league coaching job, such as 3rd base coach or bench coach or staying in AAA and being an actual manager? Does it matter?

Chip R
11-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Would he be better off finding a big-league coaching job, such as 3rd base coach or bench coach or staying in AAA and being an actual manager? Does it matter?

I think it would. You stay in the minors too long you get the rep of being a minor league manager and aren't taken seriously for a big league job no matter how much success you have there. Look at who is being hired these days. Every mahagerial hire was an interim manager, a former manager and/or a coach. I think being on a big league staff can help a potential manager deal with major league egos.

TRF
11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
I think it would. You stay in the minors too long you get the rep of being a minor league manager and aren't taken seriously for a big league job no matter how much success you have there. Look at who is being hired these days. Every mahagerial hire was an interim manager, a former manager and/or a coach. I think being on a big league staff can help a potential manager deal with major league egos.

Probably, but being a former marquee player with high minors experience doesn't hurt his chances either. I'd say he's a somewhat unique case, but he's hurting himself by NOT being a bench coach somewhere. It's like he doesn't want to learn from anyone else, and to me that sends a bad message.

George Anderson
11-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Probably, but being a former marquee player with high minors experience doesn't hurt his chances either. I'd say he's a somewhat unique case, but he's hurting himself by NOT being a bench coach somewhere. It's like he doesn't want to learn from anyone else, and to me that sends a bad message.

I don't know what Sandberg needs to learn that he hasn't already learned. The guy played in 2,164 MLB baseball games so I don't know what he has left to learn.

I think the idea that Sandberg needs to be groomed in the minors or needs to be a bench coach first is very wrong. Plenty of successful Managers (Pinella, Dusty, Torre) never spent an inning in the minors as a manager.