PDA

View Full Version : Francisco Cordero available per Jon Heyman

Vottomatic
11-16-2010, 06:34 PM
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

Kingspoint
11-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Rotoworld's take:

Cordero, 35, posted a 3.84 ERA to go along with a 59/36 K/BB ratio and 40 saves in 48 opportunities this past season. He's still owed $12 million in 2011 and either a $12 million option in 2012 or a $1 million buyout, so the Reds would have to absorb some of his salary in a potential deal. There are plenty of closer-types available this offseason, so we don't see anybody biting. If the Reds are somehow successful, keep an eye on Nick Masset.

fewfirstchoice
11-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I think a swap with the Mets for Beltran may work.

jwertz
11-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Breaking news: Reds trade closer Fransisco Cordero to Papa Johns for a large BBQ chicken and bacon pizza. Most delicious trade in baseball history.

DocRed
11-16-2010, 10:16 PM
No GM in baseball is that stupid...

Girevik
11-17-2010, 08:15 AM
And in other breaking news, the Allies win World War II!!

Jack Burton
11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Breaking news: Reds trade closer Fransisco Cordero to Papa Johns for a large BBQ chicken and bacon pizza. Most delicious trade in baseball history.

Lol, good one.

Hey Meat
11-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Maybe the Cardinals will take him and bring him back from the scrap heap ala Lohse and Franklin and countless others.

bounty37h
11-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Trade was blocked at last minute when they couldnt decide between original or handtossed.

Vottomatic
11-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Trade fell apart when Papa Johns wouldn't throw in the breadsticks.

Hondo
11-30-2010, 09:23 PM
This is what this board has been brought to?

Not Impressive.

A Salary dump of Cordero to a Closer Hungry team would be good though... Maybe the Dodgers would take Cordero to shore up their bullpen in case Broxton falters this year again?

Possibly just an easy Trade, like Cordero for Russell Martin...

I am not saying Martin needs to be on this team, but the move could work in advantage for Cincinnati to then shift Martin to another team...

Hondo
11-30-2010, 09:50 PM
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/30/angels-reportedly-interested-in-rafael-soriano-along-with-carl-c/

The report has nothing to do with the Reds.

But..............

The Angels may be a Team willing to Take on Cordero's Salary. They need a Closer and the Reds have one that makes too much for this team for 2011 but the Angels could easily take on Cordero and his Contract...

Possibly trading Brandon Wood for Cordero straight up!

Not looking for Wood to be a Starter... Just getting Cordero's Salary out of Cincy would be nice...

Girevik
12-01-2010, 08:23 AM
I really look for Cordero to have a bounce back year this year. I'm not opposed to moving him if you get decent value, but I'm not sure moving him for nothing just to get rid of his salary is a good move unless you've got a guy or your radar that you KNOW you can get but can't afford him unless you move Co-Co's salary.

I'm just a little skeptical that there's a big name guy that their radar that they would sign IF ONLY Cordero was off the books.

smixsell
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
I would trade Cordero for ZERO in a heartbeat. In fact I would trade Cordero plus $1 million for ZERO in a heartbeat. :)

Any one of our relievers could do a better job as closer than Coco.

Freeing Coco's salary would allow us to sign a marquee power bat or leadoff man in LF.:cool:

mattfeet
12-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I think people vastly underestimate the skill of closer. Is Cordero overpaid? Sure. Is he only worth "0", hardly. Id love to keep Coco on the team, but only at 4-5mil/year.

-Matt

smixsell
12-01-2010, 05:28 PM

That trade would be a steal for us! :beerme:

Pull the trigger Walt!:)

Hondo
12-01-2010, 05:33 PM
I would trade Cordero for ZERO in a heartbeat. In fact I would trade Cordero plus $1 million for ZERO in a heartbeat. :)

Freeing Coco's salary would allow us to sign a marquee power bat or leadoff man in LF.:cool:

Crawford.

Redsnake
12-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Angels are rumored to be interested in Werth, Crawford, etc.
How about Brandon Wood $400K and Juan Rivera and his $4.25M for Cordero $12.125M.

Angels get: There closer and free room up for a free agent OF.

Reds get: Clear $7.5M, get a LF and a back up utility player.

Theirs my wish list.

Girevik
12-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Crawford.

If you could garantee me Crawford, I'd be all for it. But I don't think there is any possible way the Reds can sign Crawford no matter what they do to clear salary.

nux fan
12-02-2010, 10:36 AM
who would want cordero

bounty37h
12-02-2010, 10:40 AM
who would want cordero

Pretty much any team in baseball. Its his contract no one wants.

Trace's Daddy
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Cordero is going to Danny Graves up the place in 2011, so if the Reds can get rid of him and most of his salary, they should.

Hondo
12-02-2010, 04:18 PM
If you could garantee me Crawford, I'd be all for it. But I don't think there is any possible way the Reds can sign Crawford no matter what they do to clear salary.

Well I cannot guarantee anything but I am tried of Walt saying the Reds are just going to look through trades for a Lead Off hitter...

When Crawford is a left handed hitting, GOLD glove, LEFT Fielder who Hits LEAD OFF available right now.

This team had Harang (13 Million), Cabrera (2 Million), Rhodes (2 Million), & Lincoln (2.5 Million) coming off the Books.

Even with the raises to the arbitration players and to Phillips big Raise...

This team should have money to spend, even without trading Cordero... He is a free agent anyway and is coming off the Books at the end of the season so this team could SIGN Crawford...

He is 27-28 and would have the opportunity to sign with a YOUNG Star Studded lineup like the Reds...

Crawford is the perfect piece to finish this puzzle.

All you people do is complain about Gomes left field defense and the lack of a good OBP lead off hitter...

2 negatives become 1 postive with the addition of Crawford.

Girevik
12-03-2010, 03:12 PM
I agree 100%...Crawford is the PERFECT piece to the puzzle in Cincy. The problem is that he is the #1 FA on the market this year, and I'm convinced that not matter WHAT the Reds offer, a team like the Yanks will top it. They can afford to overpay, Cincy cannot (for pretty much any player).

takealeake
12-09-2010, 12:18 AM
I saw this a little late, but I'm guessing no takers on Cordero. I would trade him as a salary dump in a minute.

Hondo
12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I just want to say that in this thread I was calling for Crawford to be signed. I was wrong in thinking the Reds could do it and in hindsight, it is good that the Reds didn't commit 20M+ for a "speed" player...

On the point of the thread.

Please Walt Trade Cordero and Trade for Greinke... oh and sign Brandon Webb too!

Mr.MojoRisin
12-12-2010, 08:51 PM
And in other breaking news, the Allies win World War II!!

What??? When did this happen?? Guess I should start watching the news.

LeDoux
12-13-2010, 10:06 PM

I think $1 Million just to erase the Coco = "the closer" association in Dusty's mind would be money well spent. The Neurobaseball technology exists!

code
12-14-2010, 08:29 AM

haha Josh, I laughed pretty good on this one.

Todd Gack
12-14-2010, 10:10 AM
So if Cordero is traded, who becomes our closer? Chapman?

nux fan
12-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Nick Masset