PDA

View Full Version : Uggla to Bravos

Ga_Red
11-16-2010, 08:41 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-braves-marlinstrade

Slyder
11-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Wow really that is all the Braves had to give? Spare part and a left handed reliever?

Really? Makes me wonder if he'd been open to moving to LF for the year.

cinreds21
11-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Sad that's all the Marlins got for Uggla.

Prado is going to play third (if Chipper's not heathy) and then left field once he is, with Uggla staying at second.

Johnny Footstool
11-16-2010, 10:41 PM
How do the Braves do it? How do they convince a team like the Marlins to dump a valuable player for nothing?

blumj
11-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Sad that's all the Marlins got for Uggla.

Prado is going to play third (if Chipper's not heathy) and then left field once he is, with Uggla staying at second.

That probably tells you all you need to know about why the Marlins couldn't get much for him. Not that Prado's the best defensive 2nd baseman in the world, but you would never move him to the OF if Uggla was willing to play anything but 2nd.

Sea Ray
11-16-2010, 11:07 PM
How do the Braves do it? How do they convince a team like the Marlins to dump a valuable player for nothing?

It's the way MLB works. Advantage to the teams with $$

RedEye
11-16-2010, 11:20 PM
I have the impression that Uggla is a bit overrated. Not sure I understand why so many people want him on the team when the Reds already have Phillips. Then again, I also don't understand how Chris Heisey got thrown under the RZ bus after a mere 300-ish career at-bats...

fearofpopvol1
11-17-2010, 12:31 AM
He's poor defensively, but his bat is stellar. He was a 5 win player last year. And that's with his bad defense.

blumj
11-17-2010, 12:48 AM
He's poor defensively, but his bat is stellar. He was a 5 win player last year. And that's with his bad defense.
That's true, but there aren't a lot of teams that have an opening at 2nd base and are willing give up talent for the chance to spend $10M or so to fill it for one year. Because I can't see a team trading talent for him, then informing him that he's now a left fielder or a 1st baseman, in a contract year, when he's just turned down a 4 year extension because it wouldn't have paid him like the other top 2nd basemen in MLB.

kaldaniels
11-17-2010, 01:13 AM
Intra-divisional no less.

The Operator
11-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Jeff Loria = :bowrofl:

Montreal baseball fans must be loving this.

15fan
11-17-2010, 09:24 AM
Surprised it took this long to get the deal done.

Step in the right direction for the Braves. They could still use another bat or two.

OesterPoster
11-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Didn't the Braves just finish a postseason series where they booted, kicked, and muffed numerous ground balls? I'm curious to see how this move helps them at all defensively. I like Uggla's bat, but his defense is brutal.

westofyou
11-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Jeff Loria = :bowrofl:

Montreal baseball fans must be loving this.

They're not paying attention the Habs are 12-5

The Operator
11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
They're not paying attention the Habs are 12-5Lol, I know next to nothing about hockey - would that be considered a pretty solid record? It sure looks like it, but some sports take pretty high winning % to be elite.

15fan
11-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Didn't the Braves just finish a postseason series where they booted, kicked, and muffed numerous ground balls? I'm curious to see how this move helps them at all defensively. I like Uggla's bat, but his defense is brutal.

By the end of the season, their offense was awful. The improved O they get from Uggla more than offsets the step backwards they will take on D.

Next up, they have to find some OF bats that can outproduce what they got from Melky Cabrera / Nate McLouth / Rick Ankiel / Matt Diaz.

blumj
11-17-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm with you, there really wasn't anyone they could get who could help offensively without requiring them to trade one better defensive 2nd baseman and move another to LF? This does not seem to me like the right lesson to take from the Brooks Conrad playoff debacle.

Tom Servo
11-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Defense or no defense, if you can get Dan Uggla for just Omar Infante and Mike Dunn you make that trade everyday of the week.