PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Webb

Eric the Red
11-17-2010, 10:23 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/at-least-four-teams-after-brandon-webb.html

Jerry Crasnick says that four teams (Dodgers Pirates Twins Rangers) are interested in Brandon Webb but that he wouldn't rule out the Reds. Tim Dierkes also mentions Webb's hometown of Ashland, KY, as an advantage for the Reds.

Given his great track record with Bryan Price, it makes sense in some ways but the Reds would certainly have to trade two of (Wood, Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Leake) to seriously consider signing Webb in my opinion.

While Webb has certainly shown the ability to be the top of the rotation guy the team needs, he is coming off major surgery and hasn't pitched at that level in several years.

So what do you think armchair GM's?

Vottomatic
11-18-2010, 12:20 AM
Why trade anybody? I thought his contract was up, and Arizona declined the option on him. Isn't he a free agent?

Vottomatic
11-18-2010, 12:23 AM
According to this list http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/09/2011-mlb-free-agents.html, Webb is a free agent.

Girevik
11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I agree, I don't see why a trade is required.

I don't break the bank for him, but if you can get him at a reasonable price then sign him and see what happens. Options are a good thing.

The only down sides I see are that it could retard one of the young quys who loses a spot to him, and if you decide he's your guy and you're counting on him he's probably got a bigger risk of injury.

Vottomatic
11-18-2010, 11:23 AM
I agree, I don't see why a trade is required.

I don't break the bank for him, but if you can get him at a reasonable price then sign him and see what happens. Options are a good thing.

The only down sides I see are that it could retard one of the young quys who loses a spot to him, and if you decide he's your guy and you're counting on him he's probably got a bigger risk of injury.

Give him a reasonable base salary with a ton of incentives, such as 180 IP, 10 or 12 wins, e.r.a. under 3.50, Cy Young, All-Star team, etc.,..........if he reaches them, the Reds make the postseason again. If he doesn't, you've lost nothing while loading up on starting pitching. If he has regained his past form, it gives you that much more trade leverage with all the young pitchers. And maybe next trade deadline we're able to make that trade for an "ace".

Think about it. If Webb returns to form, which was pretty much "ace" form. Then you trade for another "ace", such as Sir Felix near the deadline, and then factor in all the other pitchers, although a few might be traded in that deal, but still......Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, Wood, Leake...........we'd really have it going. And I'd make Webb's deal come with a club option for '12 in case we hit the jackpot.

Redsnake
11-18-2010, 11:28 AM
I don't think they were suggesting a trade for him. Just a trade of a couple players to make room for him in the rotation.

HalMorrisRules
11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't think they were suggesting a trade for him. Just a trade of a couple players to make room for him in the rotation.

+1

nmculbreth
11-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Pass. He hasn't pitched in the majors in almost two full seasons and the reports from his rehab haven't been particularly encouraging. I could see offering him a minor league deal with a spring training invitation but otherwise can't see him being a good addition.

OldRed1966
11-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Brandon wants to pitch for the Reds. The million dollar question is do the Reds want him?

davereds24
11-18-2010, 06:06 PM
No thanks, let the young guys continue to develop. This would only hinder that.

OldRed1966
11-18-2010, 06:08 PM
No thanks, let the young guys continue to develop. This would only hinder that.

How would having a former Cy Young winner on staff hinder the development of the young guys?

mckbearcat48
11-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Webb right now is a great buy-low candidate. Jocketty didn't mind grabbing a few of those in his days on the other side of the Mississippi.

brm7675
11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
If he is willing to come in on a minor league deal for fair money and see what he can do in ST and say a month or so at AAA, what's the downside?

Vottomatic
11-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Yeah, the Cards get him, Duncan shapes him back into form and we're facing Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia, Webb, and Westbrook.

Bye bye NL Central.

gedred69
11-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Yeah, the Cards get him, Duncan shapes him back into form and we're facing Wainwright, Carpenter, Garcia, Webb, and Westbrook.

Bye bye NL Central.

Agree. If he would come here to show what he's managed to recover, what's the harm. He could very possibly go elsewhere, and be used to beat the Reds severely about the head. However, if all the young guys keep developing, what do you do? The staff is already crowded, I'm thinking at least one has got to go. Who? Do you trade Nolan Ryan and keep Gary Gentry? Or, do you get it right and do the reverse. I see some tough decisions ahead requiring a crystal ball. This current pitching situation and how it's managed, could well give us all fodder for the next 30 years, coulda' shoulda', what if.........

Eric the Red
11-18-2010, 11:30 PM
I think the perfect scenario (since we live in a fantasy world) is for the Reds to trade one or two of our projected starters for a power hitting productive left fielder (hello Justin Upton even though your contract may be too much) and sign Webb. I agree with OldRed1966 when he says Webb "wants" to play for the Reds but the ball is in the Reds court. I don't think Walt signs him, even though Price may be and should be, pushing hard for him to do so unless he deals one or two of our young starters.

Old NDN
11-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I've said in previous threads that I like the idea of signing Webb, if the $$ are right. You deal with the abundance of SP if/when it happens. For the first time in years, the Reds are able to look at potential deals from a position of strength instead of desperation. They're close..needing only a few pieces. If Webb works out, you spin the others for more useful parts.

Girevik
11-19-2010, 10:29 AM

And what happens if Webb doesn't regain his old form, or gets hurt again? Now you have a hole in your rotation because you traded guys away to make room.

Stray
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM
I haven't really heard that much about it, but I was under the impression that he would be asking for a lot more money that we would be willing to spend.

FlyerFanatic
11-22-2010, 04:14 PM
i thought i read webb has lost everything in terms of his stuff. this was awhile ago, but he's tried to make comebacks numerous times right? thought i heard he was throwing like low to mid 80's at one point. no reason to get him imo

Vottomatic
11-22-2010, 06:44 PM
I don't think anyone is condoning signing Webb site unseen. He'd have to tryout for our scouting department and show that he still has it or is regaining form, before anyone offers him any money.

It would be crazy to sign him site unseen.

DaytonFlyer
11-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Or even sight unseen.

But both are pretty crazy.

Vottomatic
11-23-2010, 05:55 PM
Or even sight unseen.

But both are pretty crazy.

Sorry, using that abbreviated language often used in texting to save letters, space, and time. :D

Eric the Red
12-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Could the Reds be the NL Central mystery team involved in the Brandon Webb pursuit? The last time I read an unidentified NL Central team was in on a free agent pitcher, Walt stunned the baseball world and signed Aroldis Chapman. It'll be interesting what kind of salary Webb ends up with. If he'll take something with a low base and performance incentives, I think the Reds have a great shot. It's impossible to have too much pitching. Bring him on!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5943925

Hondo
12-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Why would you try and Improve a team that wins 91 games.

Doesn't make any sense.

Eric the Red
12-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Why would you try and Improve a team that wins 91 games.

Doesn't make any sense.

The Reds are a pretty good team as of today but clearly can improve as evidenced by the sarcasm. Brandon Webb would bring a lot of "if's" but has been a true top of the rotation pitcher in the past. Perhaps a reunion with Bryan Price and the opportunity to pitch regularly in front of hometown fans (on FSN and those willing to drive to GABP from Ashland) may be enough to sway him if the Reds have even contacted him. Jerry Crasnick seems to have a lot of connections to the Reds (was first to report Bruce's extension and worked for the Post or Enquirer if I'm not mistaken) so I have an inkling Cincy is the unidentified team.

Hondo
12-21-2010, 10:05 PM
The Reds are a pretty good team as of today but clearly can improve as evidenced by the sarcasm. Brandon Webb would bring a lot of "if's" but has been a true top of the rotation pitcher in the past. Perhaps a reunion with Bryan Price and the opportunity to pitch regularly in front of hometown fans (on FSN and those willing to drive to GABP from Ashland) may be enough to sway him if the Reds have even contacted him. Jerry Crasnick seems to have a lot of connections to the Reds (was first to report Bruce's extension and worked for the Post or Enquirer if I'm not mistaken) so I have an inkling Cincy is the unidentified team.

Glad ya got the "sarcasm"

I wouldn't mind having Webb and his ground balls in GAB...

Tadasimha
12-22-2010, 12:01 AM
I say bring him in for ST and see what he's got. If he's regained his form and can help the team, then you have options of using Bailey/Volquez (or even Webb) as trade for a LF. Maybe the A's would trade Willingham for another arm?

Caveman Techie
12-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Wow, how times have changed. It wasn't too long ago the Reds would of been talking about bringing Webb in as the "Big" off-season move to anchor our rotation. Now, we're talking about offering a minor league deal to him and see what he has in Spring training to POSSIBLY, crack in to the rotation. Nice change in the wind there. :)

Old NDN
12-22-2010, 01:58 PM
As stated before, I think he's worth the gamble. If he regains form, he will be TOR guy. For the first time in a while, the Reds have the pitching depth to take a chance. If the Cards, Brewers, or Cubs get him, it will come back to haunt, IMO.

drew20
12-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I say sign him if we can get him for the right price, the risk is worth the potential reward.

Hondo
12-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Wow, how times have changed. It wasn't too long ago the Reds would of been talking about bringing Webb in as the "Big" off-season move to anchor our rotation. Now, we're talking about offering a minor league deal to him and see what he has in Spring training to POSSIBLY, crack in to the rotation. Nice change in the wind there. :)

Webb isn't going to take a minor league deal. He will end up getting a base salary with Incentives for Innings Pitched, etc...