PDA

View Full Version : Reds add Cozart, Frazier, Negron and Thompson to 40 man roster

Danny Serafini
11-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Per Fay's blog. Those are the only ones added today. They must feel confident in Thompson's arm at this point.

JaxRed
11-19-2010, 08:47 PM
His upside was too high. A little surprised with Negron.

mth123
11-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Three spots open.

Lee, Crawford and Werth?;)

Unassisted
11-19-2010, 08:55 PM
What's the Reds' recent history on gain/loss in the Rule 5 draft? My top-of-the-head perception is that they've gained more players than they've lost over the last 5 years and that they're probably due to lose someone that many RedsZoners value.

Danny Serafini
11-19-2010, 09:30 PM
What's the Reds' recent history on gain/loss in the Rule 5 draft? My top-of-the-head perception is that they've gained more players than they've lost over the last 5 years and that they're probably due to lose someone that many RedsZoners value.

Here's who they've taken since 1997:
2008 David Patton
2007 Sergio Valenzuela
2006 Josh Hamilton
2006 Jared Burton
2003 D. J. Mattox
2002 Luke Prokopec
1999 Adrian Burnside
1997 Keith Glauber

Patton was immediately sold to the Cubs. Valenzuela was an absurd pick who was so bad in the intrasquad scrimmage that he never even got to pitch in a spring game before getting cut. Mattox and Prokopec were both flyers on injured players who would never throw an inning in Cincinnati. Burnside was returned. Glauber made a couple brief appearances in the Majors.

Here's who they've lost:
2009 Ben Jukich
2008 Terrell Young
2007 Carlos Guevara
2004 Tony Blanco
2002 Mike Neu
2000 Ted Rose
1999 Dewayne Wise

Jukich and Young were returned, and deals were made for Guevara and Rose to stay with their selecting teams and be sent down. Blanco spent one season buried on Washington's bench, and Neu had one year in Oakland's pen before disappearing. Outside of Hamilton, Rule 5 hasn't had that much of an effect on the Reds.

Tornon
11-19-2010, 09:30 PM

They've gained Jared Burton & Josh Hamilton recently.. I think everybody they've lost has eventually come back to the organization or otherwise been nothing significant

corkedbat
11-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Who was not added that some thought would be?

Unassisted
11-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the legwork, guys. That helps put this in perspective. :cool:

Brutus
11-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Who was not added that some thought would be?

The only two that mildly surprise me are Hotchkiss and/or Klinker (though I wasn't positive Klinker would be protected at the Major League level).

But I confess I'm surprised at the protection of Negron. Didn't really think they would go that route.

corkedbat
11-19-2010, 10:20 PM
The only two that mildly surprise me are Hotchkiss and/or Klinker (though I wasn't positive Klinker would be protected at the Major League level).

But I confess I'm surprised at the protection of Negron. Didn't really think they would go that route.

May not bode well for any in-coming new faces @ SS. Cozart & Janish at the major-league level and Negron in L'Ville.

Brutus
11-19-2010, 11:25 PM
May not bode well for any in-coming new faces @ SS. Cozart & Janish at the major-league level and Negron in L'Ville.

That's definitely what I'm thinking.

dougdirt
11-20-2010, 01:17 AM
I am surprised that Jeremy Horst was left unprotected. A left handed reliever with a sub 2.50 ERA between AA/AAA this season who has solid stuff.... I would be quite surprised if he is a Red in a few weeks. While his upside isn't huge, I can't imagine he couldn't help a team next year who has bullpen issues, even if it is as a 6th inning guy.

VR
11-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Mike Neu almost crashed Redszone back in the day.

Scrap Irony
11-20-2010, 02:07 AM
I am surprised that Jeremy Horst was left unprotected. A left handed reliever with a sub 2.50 ERA between AA/AAA this season who has solid stuff.... I would be quite surprised if he is a Red in a few weeks. While his upside isn't huge, I can't imagine he couldn't help a team next year who has bullpen issues, even if it is as a 6th inning guy.

Me, too. Horst is a solid middle relief prospect right now, with possible upside of a BOR starter or nice set-up man. He has value, in other words, and a team like Arizona could use him now.

An advantage to Rule V guys is a LOOGY who can be babied a bit while still providing value. Horst can be that type of guy, IMO.

mth123
11-20-2010, 03:43 AM
Horst and Hatchkiss should have been protected IMO. Glad they protected Negron. Guys who really can play MI are almost as rare as pitchers who can really pitch. Negron is a better prospect than Valaika right now IMO.

lollipopcurve
11-20-2010, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't lose any sleep over any of the pitchers left off the roster. These are all marginal guys. None of them is high upside. Better to keep a few spots open for free agents who can help the team more.

mth123
11-20-2010, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't lose any sleep over any of the pitchers left off the roster. These are all marginal guys. None of them is high upside. Better to keep a few spots open for free agents who can help the team more.

I'm guessing its Rhodes, Cairo and Cabrera and off-season over. This team is in the position where a package of prospects for a key player is what is called for. That would open a spot or two for guys like Cairo and Cabrera. No need to hold a spot for them now. They can wait. I do agree that Horst and Hotchkiss are iffy to be on a major league roster all of 2011 and Hotchkiss in particular will probably be left unpicked, but the team didn't really need to risk them to re-sign those guys. Honestly, I'd rather either guy have a spot ahead of Danny Rae at this point. Having spots really isn't a problem right now IMO.

Its not a major deal because the really valuable guys are all protected, but why leave spots open unnecessarily?

HokieRed
11-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Horst and Hatchkiss should have been protected IMO. Glad they protected Negron. Guys who really can play MI are almost as rare as pitchers who can really pitch. Negron is a better prospect than Valaika right now IMO.

Agree 100% with the last part of this statement.

lollipopcurve
11-20-2010, 10:18 AM
This team is in the position where a package of prospects for a key player is what is called for.

On paper. But you can't count on that, and you certainly can't count on being able to make that deal in the optimal time frame. If Brandon Webb wants a major league deal, or Jim Edmonds wants a major league deal, you don't want to go waiving guys. Better to have them off the roster now, where they can at least net you $50,000 in the Rule V.

RedsManRick
11-20-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm not too worried about Hotchkiss since he's a righty, had just 16 IP in AA and will be 25 in 2011. But Horst is a lefty and has missed bats in the upper minors. I think he's as good as gone.

TheNext44
11-20-2010, 06:25 PM
One thing to remember is that the vast majority of rule 5 picks get returned, or a deal is made, at some point.

WebScorpion
11-22-2010, 04:48 AM
Also, we could be leaving a spot open to SELECT a guy in the Rule 5 draft. ;)

I(heart)Freel
11-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Also, we could be leaving a spot open to SELECT a guy in the Rule 5 draft. ;)

Might be its own thread... but here are some early overviews of some top players available in the Rule Five draft this year.

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/2010_rule_5_draft_eligible_players_position_player s/3649203

http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010/11/2010-rule-5-draft-eligible-players-pitchers.html

I could see Walt maybe stealing back a Cardinal prospect like Jones if given the opportunity. If the Reds sign or trade for a solid LF this offseason, we just offer Jones back to St Louis. If they don't, he might be worth the 25th roster spot?