PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Stock Watch: Arthur Rhodes

camisadelgolf
11-22-2010, 12:22 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/11/free-agent-stock-watch-arthur-rhodes.html

Two years ago the Reds took a gamble on 39-year-old lefty Arthur Rhodes, signing him a two-year, $4MM deal. Last we read, interest was mutual on a new contract. Still, let's examine Rhodes' free agent stock.

kaldaniels
11-22-2010, 01:03 PM
it all boils down to how his plantar fasciitis is doing

Red Leader
11-22-2010, 01:07 PM
I think the Reds got a steal when they signed Rhoades to that contract 2 years ago. I think this is the point where you have to cash in your chips and walk away and be happy with what Rhoades gave you. I think expecting a performance anything near what you received the past 2 years is bad decision making.

kaldaniels
11-22-2010, 01:11 PM
I think the Reds got a steal when they signed Rhoades to that contract 2 years ago. I think this is the point where you have to cash in your chips and walk away and be happy with what Rhoades gave you. I think expecting a performance anything near what you received the past 2 years is bad decision making.

If his foot is ok I think Rhodes is still a good LH option out of the pen. I'd rather have a healthy Rhodes on the mound vs a healthy Bray.

Ron Madden
11-22-2010, 04:52 PM

I tend to agree with this.

Mario-Rijo
11-22-2010, 08:39 PM
If his foot is ok I think Rhodes is still a good LH option out of the pen. I'd rather have a healthy Rhodes on the mound vs a healthy Bray.

And even though I like Bray I tend to agree with this. Before his injury last season Arthur was dominant. I see no good reason not to expect him to at least be the best LH option night in and night out.

Ron Madden
11-23-2010, 01:45 AM
We'll find out today if the Reds offer arbitration to Rhodes and/or Cabrera.

I think it would be best not to offer either one 'em arbitration.

corkedbat
11-23-2010, 02:43 AM
We'll find out today if the Reds offer arbitration to Rhodes and/or Cabrera.

I think it would be best not to offer either one 'em arbitration.

Would Rhodes bring ant draft picks if we offered and he turned us down?

Ron Madden
11-23-2010, 02:52 AM
Would Rhodes bring ant draft picks if we offered and he turned us down?

If the Reds offer him arbitration and he signs with another club that club gives the Reds two draft picks.

The thing is I don't see another club signing Rhodes if it cost them his salary plus two draft picks.

lollipopcurve
11-23-2010, 08:25 AM
The thing is I don't see another club signing Rhodes if it cost them his salary plus two draft picks.

A team that's getting compensated for losing a type A (like Philly, with Werth, or Texas, with Lee) wouldn't have a problem signing a type A. Those teams are more interested in winning than in collecting draft picks. Or, a team whose first rounder is protected may not lose sleep over sacrificing a 2nd rounder.

If Rhodes leaves, I think he'll get a deal, even if a pick is attached.

edabbs44
11-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Left-hander Arthur Rhodes could re-sign with the Reds near Tuesday night's deadline for teams to offer arbitration to their free agents, or shortly thereafter.

From Rosenthal via FoxSports, article has some other nuggets of info regarding Greinke, Upton and Reynolds among others.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Kansas-City-Royals-Zack-Greinke-no-rush-on-deal-112210

Edd Roush
11-23-2010, 01:10 PM
From Rosenthal via FoxSports, article has some other nuggets of info regarding Greinke, Upton and Reynolds among others.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Kansas-City-Royals-Zack-Greinke-no-rush-on-deal-112210

I know this is the wrong thread, but that link was the first time I have seen that the Reds are interested in Upton. I wonder what Jocketty has offered so far.

Ron Madden
11-23-2010, 02:23 PM
A team that's getting compensated for losing a type A (like Philly, with Werth, or Texas, with Lee) wouldn't have a problem signing a type A. Those teams are more interested in winning than in collecting draft picks. Or, a team whose first rounder is protected may not lose sleep over sacrificing a 2nd rounder.

If Rhodes leaves, I think he'll get a deal, even if a pick is attached.

I care a lot less about the draft picks than I do about the price tag an arbitrator will place on Arthur Rhodes. I'd hate to drastically over pay Rhodes in 2011.

If Walt can sign him at a fair price I honestly believe it would be better than going to arbitration.

camisadelgolf
11-23-2010, 02:33 PM
It has been reported that the Reds don't want to offer him arbitration and are hoping to re-sign him this week.

TRF
11-23-2010, 03:16 PM
you absolutely cannot offer Rhodes arbitration. He's take it in a heartbeat. And he'd win too. That amount could be anywhere from 3 to 5 times what the Reds should offer him, based on age, health, and past performance. I don't think he can replicate 2010's numbers, but he could be very effective. Just not $8mil worth of effective. Rhodes' agent KNOWS his best deal likely comes from Cincinnati and he's hoping for a dumb move like arbitration.

I don't think Jocketty is that dumb.

Scrap Irony
11-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I'd let him go. Better to let him go a year too early than a year too late, IMO. But Jocketty's been an astute guy regarding old relievers, so what do I know?

Ron Madden
11-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I'd let him go. Better to let him go a year too early than a year too late, IMO. But Jocketty's been an astute guy regarding old relievers, so what do I know?

I'd rather let him go too but if they are gonna sign him I'd rather they would do it before offering him arbitration.

Blitz Dorsey
11-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Put me in the camp that hopes he's back. And I don't even care if it's another two-year deal. There have been a lot of lefty pitchers that have proven you can pitch effectively well into your 40's. Rhodes has nothing wrong with his arm -- a very live one in fact. It's just a foot problem and if he can get it rectified he is a must-sign IMO. He makes everyone comfortable when he enters the game. Kind of like, "OK, Arthur's on the mound, we got this."

If he was able to pitch lights-out at 38 and 39, no reason to think he can't do the same at 40 and 41. And it's not like he's pitching a lot of innings each year. Someone like Rhodes doesn't pitch very many innings at all, therefore there is obviously less wear and tear on his arm.

camisadelgolf
11-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Rhodes was not offered arbitration.

Ron Madden
11-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Rhodes was not offered arbitration.

Good,

corkedbat
11-24-2010, 03:59 AM
Good,

One more year as a bridge to Donnie Joseph or maybe even Dontrelle Willis.

Benihana
11-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Good,

Bad. I wanted the draft picks. Worst case, you lose an extra $1-2MM by him accepting. IMO, the risk is worth the extra picks.

RedsManRick
11-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Bad. I wanted the draft picks. Worst case, you lose an extra $1-2MM by him accepting. IMO, the risk is worth the extra picks.

You really think a team is going to give up an R1 to sign a 41 year old reliever?

camisadelgolf
11-24-2010, 11:21 AM
You really think a team is going to give up an R1 to sign a 41 year old reliever?
I doubt it would, but it has happened a few times in the past. If there's a team looking to skim on signing bonuses next draft, it would be a perfect match. But yeah, I really doubt it would happen.

Benihana
11-24-2010, 12:10 PM

The Reds did it once to sign a backup catcher (Damon Berryhill). The Royals got one for Juan Cruz. Look at Rhodes' numbers, anything is possible. Worst case scenario the teams work out some kind of trade/Commissioner's Office agreement. Better than getting nothing.

RedsManRick
11-24-2010, 12:19 PM
The Reds did it once to sign a backup catcher (Damon Berryhill). The Royals got one for Juan Cruz. Look at Rhodes' numbers, anything is possible. Worst case scenario the teams work out some kind of trade/Commissioner's Office agreement. Better than getting nothing.

Particularly given the contract Joqain Benoit just signed, Rhodes could very well get $5M in arbitration. I'd love the pick, but Walt certainly does not want to be hamstrung in the midst of this competitive window.

Frankly, I think we're going to end up resigning him in any event.

camisadelgolf
11-24-2010, 12:27 PM
The Reds did it once to sign a backup catcher (Damon Berryhill).
What a stupid, stupid move that was. And to add insult to injury, he is the last Reds player to wear #8.

REDREAD
11-29-2010, 04:13 PM
you absolutely cannot offer Rhodes arbitration. He's take it in a heartbeat. And he'd win too. .

Totally agree. In today's marketplace, a club has to be VERY careful to which pending FAs they offer arb too.