PDA

View Full Version : Jeter demanding 6 years - $150 million

MWM
11-27-2010, 11:55 AM
Bwahahahahahahaha.

I get that Jeter is a great player and the face of the franchise, but if he really thinks this is his value to them, while playing the "Babe Ruth" card, it's clear he has a seriously over-inflated view of himself. The Yankees are bigger than Jeter and I don't think he gets that.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/26060115

MWM
11-27-2010, 12:04 PM
There's now an update to the bottom of the article where Jeter's agent claims that this isn't true, so who knows.

Crosley68
11-27-2010, 12:25 PM
I believe it is wise not to buy into either side's leaks. This is a public relations battle that Jeter's agent appears to be losing at the moment. You really have to wonder how it is possible to make the Yankees look sane, but they are.

Col_ IN Reds fan
11-27-2010, 12:50 PM
The bottom line when all is said and done he will make alot more money if he re-signs with the Yankees than any other team would be willing to pay him.
Having said that it would be funny to see him in a Red Sox uniform.

westofyou
11-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I'm fairly certain "demanding" is the wrong word to use on both sides in these negotiations, in fact it reminds me of Larkin's last few contracts.

Just amped up by history, NYC $$ and the press.

MWM
11-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Yeah, it is a misleading word. I was just copying the headline as it was when I saw it.

I think he winds up signing with NY for like 4 years and $75 million.

Oxilon
11-27-2010, 01:13 PM
I still can't believe Jeter turned down that 3 year/$45 million contract. He should have been ecstatic that the Yanks even offered him that.

mth123
11-27-2010, 01:34 PM
I still can't believe Jeter turned down that 3 year/$45 million contract. He should have been ecstatic that the Yanks even offered him that.

My thoughts exactly.

RedsManRick
11-27-2010, 01:47 PM
This is going to be fun to watch.

JaxRed
11-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think Jeter will get ANY offers from other teams. What's the point of talking to him if he has a 3 year 45 million offer from Yanks? If that offer was not on table some other team might offer him 2 years for $10 mill.

Even that is a gamble on a SS that will be 36.5 on opening day, and coming off his worst season ever, and the second half of season was worse than the first. (for example 8 of his 10 homers hit pre-all-star).

Reds4Life
11-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Jeter is damaging his image with NY fans. Most are starting to see him as unreasonable and greedy. The 3/$45 contract offered to him was more than fair, and a 36 year old player wanting a 6 year deal is laughable.

He should have taken the offer, played the next 3 years, then retired as a Yankee legend. He would have been beloved in NY, now he's coming across as a greedy, whiny, primadonna.

MWM
11-27-2010, 02:09 PM
The report now is that he's asking for 4-5 years at $23-$24 million per.

WMR
11-27-2010, 02:18 PM
He's ridiculous. He isn't worth a fraction of that.

Eric_the_Red
11-27-2010, 02:34 PM
The fact that the Yankees are balking at perhaps overpaying the face of their current franchise and an all-time Yankee legend, while at the same time they are signing AJ Burnett's insane paychecks, is laughable. Maybe $15 mil is what Jeter is worth on the field, but I have to think what he means to the team/fans/city/history is worth something too. Not $25 mil per, but maybe they meet in the middle around $19-20 mil per.

Bill Simmons was lobbying on a recent podcast that the BoSox should sign him to play third. I cannot express how much I would LOVE to see that happen, if not just to stick it to the Yankees and their fans. (Plus, Jeter is probably better off at third than SS these days.)

Oxilon
11-27-2010, 02:38 PM
The fact that the Yankees are balking at perhaps overpaying the face of their current franchise and an all-time Yankee legend, while at the same time they are signing AJ Burnett's insane paychecks, is laughable. Maybe $15 mil is what Jeter is worth on the field, but I have to think what he means to the team/fans/city/history is worth something too. Not $25 mil per, but maybe they meet in the middle around $19-20 mil per.

The Yankees don't remember success with faces and jersey numbers. They remember success with World Series rings.

Griffey012
11-27-2010, 02:40 PM
The Yankees fully understand the ball is in their court. I would love to see them come back in a few months and drop their offer to 3yrs/$30 million. He would not even get that much from another club.

westofyou
11-27-2010, 02:42 PM
The Yankees don't remember success with faces and jersey numbers. They remember success with World Series rings.

well there is Monument Park in the outfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Park_%28Yankee_Stadium%29

PuffyPig
11-27-2010, 02:46 PM

3 years @ $15 was a huge overpayment and compensated Jeter for being the face of the franchise.

Oxilon
11-27-2010, 02:53 PM
well there is Monument Park in the outfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Park_%28Yankee_Stadium%29

Well, that is true I suppose. But even with their monuments dedicated to famous Yanks, their lure has always been about the rings -- as it should be.

dougdirt
11-27-2010, 03:40 PM
.710 OPS = asking for 23/24M a season? Man, every player in baseball is severely underpaid by these standards.

mth123
11-27-2010, 03:45 PM

Bill Simmons was lobbying on a recent podcast that the BoSox should sign him to play third. I cannot express how much I would LOVE to see that happen, if not just to stick it to the Yankees and their fans. (Plus, Jeter is probably better off at third than SS these days.)

I think 3 years at $15 Million per year is paying quite a premium over what Jeter is probably worth. I don't know if he'd even get an offer of 3 years for a total of $15 Million from another team let alone $15 Million per year. The Yankees are offering about $10 Million per year over what he is now worth and IMO that is paying for what he means to the team/fans/city/history.

He's coming off of a 10 year $189 Million deal and will be 37 next season. Seems he has been paid quite a bit of respect and getting another $45 Million in his twilight after a seaon where his OPS dropped to .710 and is likely reduced to the role of bench player before the third year of that deal is over seems pretty darned respectful IMO. Burnett's deal was signed at age 31 after a season where he'd made 34 starts and topped the league in K's and K/9 and will expire in 2013 when Burnett will be 3 months shy of 37 years old which is about the same age that Jeter would be when he plays his first game under his new deal. Its simply not comparable. The fact that Burnett fell apart has no relationship to this decision.

MWM
11-27-2010, 03:48 PM
I think some are underestimating the amount of brand equity Jeter has within baseball. I think there are some teams out there who'd pay Jeter $15 million or more per year over 3 years.

JaxRed
11-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I think some are underestimating the amount of brand equity Jeter has within baseball. I think there are some teams out there who'd pay Jeter $15 million or more per year over 3 years.

I don't think there are ANY that will come anywhere close. Yankees have told him to look for offers.... let's see if any come close.

Orenda
11-27-2010, 04:02 PM

I have a hard time thinking anyone would top that deal and even if someone did could Jeter lose anything from that brand equity by playing for multiple teams? In New York he's the captain world champion gamer who dates supermodels, you don't think he loses some brand equity by getting that 3000th hit in ??? wherever else he would go.

mth123
11-27-2010, 04:08 PM

I don't see it for three years. Maybe for one year, but I can't come-up with a team that would pay that. All that brand non-sense would fade quickly when he's hitting like a 7 hole guy with limited range. (Remember how anxious we were for Griffey's deal to come to a merciful end). Jeter was productive and was paid handsomely for it. He didn't give a hometown discount when he was one of the game's top players, he shouldn't expect the team to give such a huge loyalty premium now that he's not so special.

Ron Madden
11-27-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't see it for three years. Maybe for one year, but I can't come-up with a team that would pay that. All that brand non-sense would fade quickly when he's hitting like a 7 hole guy with limited range. (Remember how anxious we were for Griffey's deal to come to a merciful end). Jeter was productive and was paid handsomely for it. He didn't give a hometown discount when he was one of the game's top players, he shouldn't expect the team to give such a huge loyalty premium now that he's not so special.

My thoughts exactly.

savafan
11-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Imagine what the Yankees would do to the rest of baseball if they gave Jeter $23-25 million a year. We could see Paul Janish someday get $10 million in arbitration, and that's not a knock on Paul.

RFS62
11-27-2010, 04:33 PM
The whole thing makes me smile.

The Skankees will eventually overpay big time, and Jeter will still act all offended.

If he had been the real team player he's glorified to be, he would have moved to second or third base when they got Arod, a far superior shortstop.

Now this hero of all Yankeedom will personify the most important Yankee tradition of all..... greed.

Strikes Out Looking
11-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I hope Jeter gets it. Why, because the Yankees set the whole thing up when they gave A-Roid that ridiculous contract that lasts until the end of time. Say what you will, but if Jeter retires today, which he could do and still get into the HOF, the Yankees will not be as good as they were last year -- especially paying big bucks for Posada, Burnett and the aformentioned 3b.

Blimpie
11-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Maybe the Mets will sign him...

blumj
11-27-2010, 07:22 PM

NOT FUNNY!!!!!

mth123
11-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I hope Jeter gets it. Why, because the Yankees set the whole thing up when they gave A-Roid that ridiculous contract that lasts until the end of time. Say what you will, but if Jeter retires today, which he could do and still get into the HOF, the Yankees will not be as good as they were last year -- especially paying big bucks for Posada, Burnett and the aformentioned 3b.

A-Rod was signed at age 31 coming off a season of .314/.422/.645/1.067 with 54HR, 156 RBI and 143 Runs Scored. He was signed when he was still regarded as clean and the contract would take him through breaking the all time HR record (and if he was clean, would net back a ton of money to pay for the contract). I know this is what Jeter is probably looking at, but if he can't see the difference in the situations, he's delusional.

TheNext44
11-27-2010, 08:39 PM
A-Rod was signed at age 31 coming off a season of .314/.422/.645/1.067 with 54HR, 156 RBI and 143 Runs Scored. He was signed when he was still regarded as clean and the contract would take him through breaking the all time HR record (and if he was clean, would net back a ton of money to pay for the contract). I know this is what Jeter is probably looking at, but if he can't see the difference in the situations, he's delusional.

All good points. But the situations are similar in two respects. The Yankees were/are bidding against themselves and both players ended up alienating their fans.

klw
11-27-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm demanding the Yankee give me 6 years and $150 million too or else I won't play for them next year either!

RedsBaron
11-27-2010, 10:50 PM
The whole thing makes me smile.

The Skankees will eventually overpay big time, and Jeter will still act all offended.

If he had been the real team player he's glorified to be, he would have moved to second or third base when they got Arod, a far superior shortstop.

Now this hero of all Yankeedom will personify the most important Yankee tradition of all..... greed.

Yep. I hope the Yankees overpay big-time for Jeter, and that it bites them big-time.

blumj
11-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Yep. I hope the Yankees overpay big-time for Jeter, and that it bites them big-time.
The Yankees don't get bitten by how much they pay them, they can only get bitten by how much they play them.

WMR
11-27-2010, 11:37 PM
JETER TO SAWX...

sorry blum!!! :mooner:

blumj
11-28-2010, 12:23 AM
Of course, there is a Yankee free agent the Red Sox could consider making a great big over market offer to that wouldn't bother me a bit.

Ron Madden
11-28-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't believe the Red Sox would go after Jeter for that kinda money.

WMR
11-28-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't believe the Red Sox would go after Jeter for that kinda money.

I'm thinking Theo would laugh out loud and then take another sip of his double mocha Starbucks and get back to reading the WSJ.

Sawx are way too smart for a Jeter move, even if it would goose the hell out of the Yanks. :D

Ron Madden
11-28-2010, 02:22 AM
I doubt if Jeter gets a six year contract either. What's he Thinkin'?

RFS62
11-28-2010, 09:18 AM

Well, I'm sure it's a negotiating position. If you want something outrageous, you start with a demand that makes your final acceptable position seem reasonable in contrast.

Whatever he ends up with, it will seem much more palatable compared to the ridiculous starting point his agent has put out there.

And in the end, he'll be able to say he stayed above the fray, letting his agent handle the dirty business of contract negotiation.

He'll say things like "I'm just glad we got a deal done and I get to remain a Yankee for life".

Eric_the_Red
11-28-2010, 09:19 AM

He is probably thinking he wants more than the 2 or 3 years that the Yanks are offering, so he counters with 6, and they settle on 4. I don't see how A) Jeter turns down the money the Yanks are offering and B) the Yanks letting their captain play for another team over money.

Strikes Out Looking
11-28-2010, 03:24 PM

If they thought he was clean, they deserve everything they get. Karma, baby, Karma.

WMR
11-28-2010, 03:26 PM
He's worth every penny...

http://sportshubris.com/files/a-rod.jpg

mth123
11-28-2010, 03:47 PM
If they thought he was clean, they deserve everything they get. Karma, baby, Karma.

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean Jeter should get what he's asking. Heck, he's not really worth what the Yankees have already offered.

Chip R
11-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I wonder where he'll go to if not the Yankees. I wonder if StL would go after him?

GoReds
11-29-2010, 12:18 PM
I wonder where he'll go to if not the Yankees. I wonder if StL would go after him?

He can't go anywhere and I'm sure that's what the Yankees realize. If Jeter were to hit the open market, there isn't a chance he would be able to get half of what the Yankees are offering. He really has very little leverage.

vaticanplum
11-29-2010, 01:31 PM
It's clear that Jeter is on the decline but I wonder if some here aren't underestimating him slightly. He had a bad year this year but a genuinely fantastic (at least offensively) 2009 -- probably his best year of the decade or at least since 2001. He's durable. If he can eventually end up in the outfield he's a player worth paying for (not for six years though).

Payments are skewed when you talk about the Yankees; any free agent is going to expect more from them than other teams. So I don't know that they'll find comparable quality for that much less than $15 a year. Conversely, although no other team will pay Jeter what the Yankees will, he's still a better option than a lot of teams have in front of them.

bucksfan2
11-29-2010, 02:26 PM
It's clear that Jeter is on the decline but I wonder if some here aren't underestimating him slightly. He had a bad year this year but a genuinely fantastic (at least offensively) 2009 -- probably his best year of the decade or at least since 2001. He's durable. If he can eventually end up in the outfield he's a player worth paying for (not for six years though).

Payments are skewed when you talk about the Yankees; any free agent is going to expect more from them than other teams. So I don't know that they'll find comparable quality for that much less than $15 a year. Conversely, although no other team will pay Jeter what the Yankees will, he's still a better option than a lot of teams have in front of them.

The problem with you logic is you aren't just paying him for next season. Your paying him for next season as well as 2014. The key question is how much longer will Jeter be productive? He really isn't a SS right now but in all likelihood he isn't going to move off SS anytime soon. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Jeter wouldn't be worth his keep next season, just it gets dicey heading forward.

Chip R
11-29-2010, 02:45 PM
The problem with you logic is you aren't just paying him for next season. Your paying him for next season as well as 2014. The key question is how much longer will Jeter be productive? He really isn't a SS right now but in all likelihood he isn't going to move off SS anytime soon. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Jeter wouldn't be worth his keep next season, just it gets dicey heading forward.

Not only that but he's worth more to the Yankees than he's worth to any other team. If Jeter wants to go elsewhere and someone like HOU says they would like to have him but only at $10M a year, he's going to have to think awful long and hard about it. In NY, Jeter can play SS until he's in a wheelchair. He's their captain and leader. He also swings a decent bat. When he retires, he can pretty much write his own ticket. I see talk show host in his future. He won't be able to do that in HOU or SD or StL.

Blimpie
11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
ESPN New York ran a piece today that said, should the Yankees negotiation implode completely, Jeter could be in line to receive an offer with the Dodgers that would reunite him with Torre.

Roy Tucker
11-29-2010, 05:27 PM
ESPN New York ran a piece today that said, should the Yankees negotiation implode completely, Jeter could be in line to receive an offer with the Dodgers that would reunite him with Torre.

Does Torre have any connections with the Dodgers now that he's retired?

JaxRed
11-29-2010, 05:29 PM
If by "implode", you mean the Yankees pull their offer, then yes, Jeter will probably get several offers, that will be about 4-5 million for a couple tears. But as long as Yankees offer is on the table, no team will get in. Yankees are already offering about 3 times he would be worth on open market.

Brutus
11-29-2010, 05:39 PM

The Dodgers, reportedly, are on the verge of signing Uribe. I would have to think that would take them out of the running for a Jeter signing.

BrooklynRedz
11-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Not only that but he's worth more to the Yankees than he's worth to any other team. If Jeter wants to go elsewhere and someone like HOU says they would like to have him but only at $10M a year, he's going to have to think awful long and hard about it. In NY, Jeter can play SS until he's in a wheelchair. He's their captain and leader. He also swings a decent bat. When he retires, he can pretty much write his own ticket. I see talk show host in his future. He won't be able to do that in HOU or SD or StL.

The Yankees are worth far more to Jeter than he is to the Yankees.

In the short term, the Yankees will face a minor fan uproar, with a few poorly written columns that will play humorously in the Deadspins and The Big Leads. But in the end it will mean nothing to their bottom line. They'll continue to sell tickets and print money with their YES Network broadcasts and sponsorship.

The Yankees have had lifetime Yanks before. They'll have lifetime Yanks again in the future. If Jeter takes a deal with another team, he becomes just another player who left the Yankees for 'greener' pastures.

The Yankees' obligation here was to offer a respectable deal to keep him in pinstripes. They've done that. Following next week's winter meetings, it will be clear to Jeter and his representation the landscape that they are facing. And when that picture crystallizes, they'll be left the prospects of salvaging his reputation to 'settle' for the Yanks' offer. I suspect the Yanks will give a little in the form of a 'lifetime' contract' that will be in essence four years at $15m-15m-15m-12m.

westofyou
11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
The Yankees have had lifetime Yanks before. They'll have lifetime Yanks again in the future. If Jeter takes a deal with another team, he becomes just another player who left the Yankees for 'greener' pastures.

This.

Derek Jeter is not irreplaceable, he's a Yankee yes, but he ain't a God.

The Yankees know this, I'm sure he and his reps do too.

MattyHo4Life
11-30-2010, 12:00 AM

I read an article the other day that mentioned the Cardinals as a possible player for Jeter. I don't think the Cards have even considered making an offer for Jeter, and they have no reason to. The Cards were burned last time they signed a Yankee favorite. The Cards need to focus on signing Pujols to a LTC...not bringing in an overrated Yankee.

MWM
11-30-2010, 09:58 AM
There's no way Jeter and LaRussa could co-exist in the same dugout.

westofyou
11-30-2010, 10:14 AM
There's no way Jeter and LaRussa could co-exist in the same dugout.

Sure they could, I'm thinking many here couldn't deal with it.

MWM
11-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Sure they could, I'm thinking many here couldn't deal with it.

Really? You think Jeter would put up with a guy like LaRussa?

TRF
11-30-2010, 10:26 AM

I doubt LaRussa would want Jeter.

IF Jeter leaves the Yankees it'll be because Cashman held firm or another OWNER sees $$$ at the gate if Jeter has his name on that team's jersey. 2010 was a down year for him at the plate, but he hasn't been a good defender in years. He could OPS .900 again in 2011 though, and he'll put butts in seats.

I doubt at this stage in his career he cares who the manager is as long as he plays everyday and gets paid.

camisadelgolf
11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I doubt at this stage in his career he cares who the manager is as long as he plays everyday and gets paid.
Truer words have never been spoken.

westofyou
11-30-2010, 10:31 AM

Do I think one of the best players of his generation will have no issues with dealing with one of the best managers in baseball history?

Why wouldn't they?

McGraw and Matty got along, anything is possible in baseball, anything.

MWM
11-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Maybe you're right, I just think Jeter would have a hard time with the heavy handed approach Larussa takes in managing the team given the managers he's accustomed to. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

Blimpie
11-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Does Torre have any connections with the Dodgers now that he's retired?Nah... I meant to type Mattingly, but vapor-locked.

vaticanplum
11-30-2010, 05:52 PM
I honestly think Jeter should retire. No joke. Go straight into management or, more specifically, the business end of things with the Yankees, which he's going to be great at. Keep that lifelong Yankees connection that will make you perpetually bankable. Retire as a legend before physical decline really hits hard. Retire as a lifelong shortstop. Avoid endless goodbye parades at the stadium which tarnish the mystique.

It'll never happen. But that's what I want. And I love Jeter.

blumj
11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
I honestly think Jeter should retire. No joke. Go straight into management or, more specifically, the business end of things with the Yankees, which he's going to be great at. Keep that lifelong Yankees connection that will make you perpetually bankable. Retire as a legend before physical decline really hits hard. Retire as a lifelong shortstop. Avoid endless goodbye parades at the stadium which tarnish the mystique.

It'll never happen. But that's what I want. And I love Jeter.
Well, yeah, we watch sports to be entertained, and a player's decline is no fun to watch, especially a favorite player.

Always Red
11-30-2010, 10:00 PM
http://blogbeckett.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/jetercardreds.jpg

TOTALLY FAKE BASEBALL CARDS: 29 DEREK JETERS YOU WONíT SEE IN 2011 Ö AND ONE YOU JUST MIGHT...

http://blogbeckett.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/totally-fake-baseball-cards-29-derek-jeters-you-wont-see-in-2011-and-one-you-just-might/

Unassisted
12-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Fay makes an interesting point in his blog article here:

Jeter’s situation a lot like Larkin’s (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/12/01/jeters-situation-a-lot-like-larkins/?utm_source=bleacherreport.com)

Derek Jeter’s situation with the Yankees is a lot like Barry Larkin’s was with Reds in 2000.

The Reds, under pressure to keep him as a Red, signed him to 3-year, $27 million contract in July of that year.

westofyou
12-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Fay makes an interesting point in his blog article here:

Jeterís situation a lot like Larkinís (http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/12/01/jeters-situation-a-lot-like-larkins/?utm_source=bleacherreport.com)

Wow... he's a visionary

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2300068&postcount=5

Unassisted
12-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Wow... he's a visionary

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2300068&postcount=5 (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2300068&postcount=5)You parked the Larkin ball on the tee and Fay fungoed it into the infield. :D