PDA

View Full Version : Report: TCU to join Big East

WVRed
11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5862368

Good for the Big East. Just not sure how much sense it makes geographically.

I'm guessing Villanova will be next for football, or maybe Memphis for all sports?

Captain13
11-29-2010, 01:26 PM
This is great news for the Big East. Villanova has an offer. If they turn it down, Temple will likely get a "football only" invite. They make sense; they already play football in one conference (MAC) and all other sports in another (A-10).

The other options all have serious down-sides. Memphis is perennially terrible in football, and doesn't spend the money to improve. UCF is in USFs backyard, and would add more competition for the top talent in FL. ECU is small, in a small town, and with a small fan base.

Go Cards! Go Big East! and for one weekend only, go USF.

WVRed
11-29-2010, 01:39 PM
This is great news for the Big East. Villanova has an offer. If they turn it down, Temple will likely get a "football only" invite. They make sense; they already play football in one conference (MAC) and all other sports in another (A-10).

The other options all have serious down-sides. Memphis is perennially terrible in football, and doesn't spend the money to improve. UCF is in USFs backyard, and would add more competition for the top talent in FL. ECU is small, in a small town, and with a small fan base.

Go Cards! Go Big East! and for one weekend only, go USF.

TCU only helps in football though in terms of major sports, but its entering the Dallas-Fort Worth market and prime recruiting grounds.

UCF is interesting because they have made siginificant upgrades to try to get into a bigger conference, but I don't see any of their teams being competitive in either basketball or football.

Memphis would be good for basketball. They play in a NBA arena, provide a solid media market, and a pretty good hotbed of talent.

Caveat Emperor
11-29-2010, 02:37 PM
TCU is the best of the non-AQ schools around for football. Smart move adding them to the conference. I'm kinda surprised the hoops schools gave the OK, though -- considering this shifts the balance of power in the conference to the football side w/ 9 votes (vs. basketball's 8).

'Nova to D-1A football makes a little bit less sense, though. They really don't have the facilities or the cash to make the jump, from what I've read.

If they do go outside to add a final football member, I'd imagine that they'd want another school in the south -- Memphis, ECU, UCF or Tulane would all be easy targets.

Boston Red
11-29-2010, 03:51 PM
TCU only helps in football though in terms of major sports

The Big East doesn't really need any help in other major sports, though. And it matters less in every other sport since there is no BCS.

Reds4Life
11-29-2010, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't be extending any all sports invitations. The basketball side of the conference is already to big, what do they want, 18 teams? 20? That is nuts.

They should have given Notre Dame a football invite, if they don't accept, that's fine, but then I'd boot them out for all other sports.

Boston Red
11-29-2010, 05:21 PM
TCU wasn't going to accept an invitation that wasn't an all-sports invite. And right now the Big East seems to need TCU more than TCU needs the Big East.

Sea Ray
11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
TCU wasn't going to accept an invitation that wasn't an all-sports invite. And right now the Big East seems to need TCU more than TCU needs the Big East.

All the more reason to do as Reds4Life suggested

Boston Red
11-29-2010, 05:39 PM
I'm sure ND has a standing football invite. I'd be okay booting the Irish for other sports, but I think ND's association with the Big East actually helps the bowl situation (since every bowl that signs on with the Big East knows there's at least a glimmer of hope that they'll get ND instead of a Big East team). If the conference mucketty-mucks have done the calculus and concluded that the league is better off overall with ND for everything but football than without them, then I trust those mucketty-mucks.

Caveat Emperor
11-29-2010, 05:45 PM
I wouldn't be extending any all sports invitations. The basketball side of the conference is already to big, what do they want, 18 teams? 20? That is nuts.

It's big, but it isn't nuts. You can break basketball into four different 5-team divisions and play a rotating 18 game schedule (everyone in your division twice, and one game with every team in 2 of the remaining 3 divisions).

Top 3 or Top 4 in each division makes the tourney.

It actually sets up very nicely as a 20 team conference.

Sea Ray
11-29-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm sure ND has a standing football invite. I'd be okay booting the Irish for other sports, but I think ND's association with the Big East actually helps the bowl situation (since every bowl that signs on with the Big East knows there's at least a glimmer of hope that they'll get ND instead of a Big East team). If the conference mucketty-mucks have done the calculus and concluded that the league is better off overall with ND for everything but football than without them, then I trust those mucketty-mucks.

I think ND is using the Big East. I see no glimer of hope that the Big East will get ND football. If ND ever wants to join a conference in football, I have to believe they'll boot the Big East and join the Big Ten

Boston Red
11-29-2010, 06:27 PM
What I meant by that is that Notre Dame is currently eligible to take Big East bowl invites if they're not in a BCS game. So some of (maybe most of) the draw for a bowl of aligning with the Big East is the possibility that Notre Dame will end up in their bowl instead of a Big East team.

Sea Ray
11-29-2010, 06:32 PM
What I meant by that is that Notre Dame is currently eligible to take Big East bowl invites if they're not in a BCS game. So some of (maybe most of) the draw for a bowl of aligning with the Big East is the possibility that Notre Dame will end up in their bowl instead of a Big East team.

Really? Does ND have to share their Bowl revenue with the Big East if they take a Big East Bowl spot?

Boston Red
11-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Not sure how that works.

Sea Ray
11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I did read something about a deal with the Champs Sports Bowl but I'm not sure that it affects any others

BuckeyeRed27
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I did read something about a deal with the Champs Sports Bowl but I'm not sure that it affects any others

I think the Gator Bowl has an ND tie in that allows them to take ND every so often, but I'm not sure that is a Big East thing or just a ND thing.

WVRed
11-29-2010, 07:44 PM
It's big, but it isn't nuts. You can break basketball into four different 5-team divisions and play a rotating 18 game schedule (everyone in your division twice, and one game with every team in 2 of the remaining 3 divisions).

Top 3 or Top 4 in each division makes the tourney.

It actually sets up very nicely as a 20 team conference.

That works for basketball, but I would do some thing a little different:

Add: TCU, UCF, Memphis, and ECU

Four conference five team:

Division 1(Central):
Marquette
Depaul
Notre Dame
Cincinnati
Syracuse

Division 2(East):
WVU
Pitt
Georgetown
East Carolina
Villanova

Division 3(Northeast):
Rutgers
St Johns
Seton Hall
UConn
Providence

Divison 4(South):
USF
UCF
TCU
Memphis
Louisville

However, in order to qualify for the Big East tournament, you will have to win your conference or qualify as a wildcard. I will always say that while the Big East is usually the best basketball conference (IMO its the Big Ten this year), the current tournament format is a gauntlet that usually leaves the teams gassed come NCAA tournament time and most of the Big East schools dropping like flies early on. Going to this format would eliminate that.

Example using bolded teams(division winners) and italics(wildcard):

Assume Pitt and Syracuse finish with the two best records and receive a first round bye:

Round 1:
Marquette vs Louisville
WVU vs UConn

Round 2:
Winner of Marquette Louisville vs Pitt
Winner of WVU UConn vs Syracuse

Round 3:
Semifinals

Round 4:
Championship

Clear as mud?

JaxRed
11-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I think the Gator Bowl has an ND tie in that allows them to take ND every so often, but I'm not sure that is a Big East thing or just a ND thing.

Gator bowl has a new (Oct 2010) tie-in with the Big Ten and SEC.

JaxRed

(Redszone source of all Jax info)

Reds4Life
11-29-2010, 10:34 PM
Really? Does ND have to share their Bowl revenue with the Big East if they take a Big East Bowl spot?

If I remember correctly, no they don't.

There are a lot oddites, but I think when it comes to any revenue that comes from football the Big East gets a big fat nothing from Notre Dame. But its perfectly ok for them to get a share of all other Big East sports they participate in. Nice huh?

The Big East should send them packing, IMO.

joshnky
11-30-2010, 08:32 AM
If I remember correctly, no they don't.

There are a lot oddites, but I think when it comes to any revenue that comes from football the Big East gets a big fat nothing from Notre Dame. But its perfectly ok for them to get a share of all other Big East sports they participate in. Nice huh?

The Big East should send them packing, IMO.

Having joint bowl tie ins with Notre Dame gives the Big East opportunities at better bowls. The Gator Bowl, and subsequently the Champ Sports Bowl, would not have made the deal with the Big East if it was not a deal that allowed them to pick the Big East team OR Notre Dame. I believe this is the first time since the Big East reorganization that Notre Dame has taken a Big East bowl tie-in despite deals that allowed for it. And, I could be wrong, but I think it is only with the top non-BCS bowl, previously the Gator Bowl and now Champs Sports.

bucksfan2
11-30-2010, 09:29 AM
I think this is a bad deal for both. The Big East is inviting TCU as a football powerhouse who has had two good/great seasons in a row. What happens if Gary Patterson leaves for a better job and TCU turns into an afterthought? You can bring up the whole Dallas/Ft. Worth area thing but TCU would still be #3 in that area behind Texas, Texas A&M, and even Oklahoma.

The biggest loser of this may be the MWC. If the MWC had a conference with Utah, TCU, Boise St, BYU, and Air Force that is deserving of an automatic BCS bowl berth. As it is now they have BSU and Air Force.

Sea Ray
11-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Having joint bowl tie ins with Notre Dame gives the Big East opportunities at better bowls. The Gator Bowl, and subsequently the Champ Sports Bowl, would not have made the deal with the Big East if it was not a deal that allowed them to pick the Big East team OR Notre Dame. I believe this is the first time since the Big East reorganization that Notre Dame has taken a Big East bowl tie-in despite deals that allowed for it. And, I could be wrong, but I think it is only with the top non-BCS bowl, previously the Gator Bowl and now Champs Sports.

I don't know. Just about all of these Bowls have conference tie ins. If the Big East held steadfast ND would have slim pickins when it came time to pick a Bowl. This would make it tougher for ND to remain independent, raising the pressure on those at South Bend to join a conference.

I honestly can't see the logic for the Big East to give away Bowl revenue. I sure hope ND has to share their revenue from these games with the Big East; otherwise it's a rip off

paintmered
11-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't know. Just about all of these Bowls have conference tie ins. If the Big East held steadfast ND would have slim pickins when it came time to pick a Bowl. This would make it tougher for ND to remain independent, raising the pressure on those at South Bend to join a conference.

I honestly can't see the logic for the Big East to give away Bowl revenue. I sure hope ND has to share their revenue from these games with the Big East; otherwise it's a rip off

It's a rip off. This is why pretty much every Big East school wants the conference to give ND the boot.

Reds Freak
11-30-2010, 03:23 PM
I think this is a bad deal for both. The Big East is inviting TCU as a football powerhouse who has had two good/great seasons in a row. What happens if Gary Patterson leaves for a better job and TCU turns into an afterthought? You can bring up the whole Dallas/Ft. Worth area thing but TCU would still be #3 in that area behind Texas, Texas A&M, and even Oklahoma.

The biggest loser of this may be the MWC. If the MWC had a conference with Utah, TCU, Boise St, BYU, and Air Force that is deserving of an automatic BCS bowl berth. As it is now they have BSU and Air Force.

Boise State has to be feeling real silly right now. They move into the Mountain West this summer thinking they would join Utah and TCU. Both have since jumped ship, leaving Boise making a lateral move at best...

Slyder
11-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I do feel bad for Boise they think theyre joining a stronger conference and since then its like everything bad that could happen has... BYU gone, TCU gone, Utah already gone before hand.

Anyways any chance at MWC and WAC joining forces again?

Boise State
Nevada
Hawaii
San Diego State
Air Force
Fresno State
Pick up the pieces if/when the big 12 collapses upon itself?
Houston?
SMU?
Tulsa?

Would that core be enough to get the conversation started or would the bottom half any union just be too putridly bad that the Big East would look like the SEC/Big 10?

bucksfan2
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
I though Hawaii was going to the MWC?

Slyder
11-30-2010, 04:26 PM
I though Hawaii was going to the MWC?

They are, might cover Utah leaving but that still means you have to replace BYU's name recognition and TCU's results.