PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: New RedsZone Moderators

Boss-Hog
11-29-2010, 06:08 PM
All,

GIK and I have collectively made the decision that it's time to replace the current moderators with a fresh set of people. This is something that has previously been suggested over the years in much the same way as elected officials, and after some discussion on the matter, we agree with the idea. I want to note that this is not an indictment on any of our current moderators, as we've let them know that we greatly appreciate the time and effort they've put into the site over the course of a couple of years (and in some cases, beyond).

As a result, we are seeking new moderators for 1). The Old Red Guard and all forums, including Non-Baseball forums, with the exception of The Sun Deck and its related game thread sub-forum and 2). The Sun Deck and related game thread sub-forum. You are only eligible to apply for the position related to the baseball forum you can currently post in. If a Sun Deck moderator is voted into the Old Red Guard, the moderator tag will move along with the user from The Sun Deck to the ORG.

We will not set any limit on the number of moderators we will appoint; that is completely dependent on the number of qualified candidates that apply. If you're wondering how much time is required to be spent on the site in order to be a moderator, we've never set any formal limit, but I will say that you must be around regularly enough that you can capably perform the responsibility. All moderators will be given access to 1). an ad-free version of the site and 2). a private forum that can be accessed only by administrators and moderators for moderator discussion, questions, etc.

This announcement will tentatively run until the end of the calendar year and at that point, we will make a decision. Any user in good standing with the site is eligible to apply regardless of the amount of time you've been here. If you wish to apply, please send a private message to BOTH GIK and I. In your message, please briefly state why you feel you are a good candidate, if you have previous experience in moderating forums and any other relevant information. If you have/do moderate another forum, please include the URL and your user name on that forum. If you have any questions, please post them below.

WVRed
11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
You've got mail.

redsfandan
11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Wow, I didn't expect this to happen.

*BaseClogger*
11-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Dan, we should both apply! ;)

Boss-Hog
11-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Please use this thread for the purpose I stated in the original post (questions) and not for any commentary/reactions. Thank you.

Bob Borkowski
11-30-2010, 10:02 PM
OK, I'll throw out a question:

Boss, you seem kind of vague about why you guys have chosen to make this move. All you say is that you want to get "a fresh set of people'. Can you clarify for us just a bit as to why you are doing this? What exactly is the objective here? Thanks in advance.

Boss-Hog
11-30-2010, 11:19 PM
The objective is that GIK and I agree with the notion that's been proposed that moderators should not serve "indefinitely", as has occurred in many cases. We think it would be better served for the site if we rotated the site moderators periodically to give others a shot to perform the task. I'm not going to set a time limit on how long the term could potentially last other than to say we're not going to "train" people and then immediately turn around and replace them with others but on the other hand, four, five or six years is too much time for one person to consecutively serve as a moderator (in our opinion). We mulled over the idea and came to the conclusion that we prefer rotating moderators over time rather than the way it is today.

Again, this is not due to any unhappiness with the performance of current and past moderators - we're very appreciative for the time and hard work they've contributed to the site over the years. Hopefully that answers your question...if not, let me know.

Ron Madden
12-01-2010, 05:36 AM
I'd like to see a few members chosen to be Game Thread Moderators.

Someone who actually participates in the game threads and will open the thread before the bottom of the second inning. ;)

Just my opinion, I'll continue to visit RedsZone either way.

/

Boss-Hog
12-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I'd like to see a few members chosen to be Game Thread Moderators.

Someone who actually participates in the game threads and will open the thread before the bottom of the second inning. ;)

Just my opinion, I'll continue to visit RedsZone either way.

/
Last season, we did away with the rule that only admins/moderators can open game threads, so I don't think that's an issue any longer.

redsfandan
12-01-2010, 08:24 AM
Unless I totally misunderstood ALL of the mods will be replaced at the same time. Why go to that extreme when keeping a handful around for a couple months might help the transition?

redsmetz
12-01-2010, 09:20 AM
Is it presumed that these moderators are perusing all of the boards regularly? I'm on enough, but am concerned that the time required might be prohibitive.

Boss-Hog
12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Unless I totally misunderstood ALL of the mods will be replaced at the same time. Why go to that extreme when keeping a handful around for a couple months might help the transition?
Some of the current moderators have offered to help transition the new moderators, if necessary, and I don't have a problem with that if we feel it's needed. We'll cross that bridge as we come to it.

Boss-Hog
12-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Is it presumed that these moderators are perusing all of the boards regularly? I'm on enough, but am concerned that the time required might be prohibitive.
I guess it depends how you define regularly. What we're looking for is for someone to be able to assist in moderating all the forums he or she is assigned. You're certainly not required to check the site five or six times a day but on the other hand, we wouldn't want someone that only checks in about once a week. I'm being particularly broad because I know that some people have historically been more efficient with the time spent moderating than others. That's the main reason we do not want to set an arbitrary time that you must be on the site in order to moderate.

redsmetz
12-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I guess it depends how you define regularly. What we're looking for is for someone to be able to assist in moderating all the forums he or she is assigned. You're certainly not required to check the site five or six times a day but on the other hand, we wouldn't want someone that only checks in about once a week. I'm being particularly broad because I know that some people have historically been more efficient with the time spent moderating than others. That's the main reason we do not want to set an arbitrary time that you must be on the site in order to moderate.

I gather from the highlighted portion that various moderators are assigned some particular forums and that presumably makes the workload more manageable. Am I understanding that correctly?

Redsfan320
12-01-2010, 02:12 PM
I gather from the highlighted portion that various moderators are assigned some particular forums and that presumably makes the workload more manageable. Am I understanding that correctly?

No. This is what I thought originally, but the new mods will moderate all forums except whichever of tORG/tSD they don't have posting access to.

paintmered
12-01-2010, 04:56 PM

Joe, there's no minimum time required to do the job. But there were evenings when I was the only mod on here and routinely spent 4-6 hours moderating, especially in the game threads.

Over a full day, I'd guesstimate RZ requires six collective hours of moderating. This spiked to probably 20-30 hours when we had our recent troll infestation. But this is why there's currently eleven mods. People's schedules change. People go on vacation or don't have access to the site during the day. There's usually enough coverage as long as everyone doesn't blow it off entirely.

Boss-Hog
12-01-2010, 06:50 PM
But there were evenings when I was the only mod on here and routinely spent 4-6 hours moderating, especially in the game threads.

That's something that should never happen, nor would I want anyone to do that, and I'm sorry to hear that it did occur.

Boss-Hog
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
No. This is what I thought originally, but the new mods will moderate all forums except whichever of tORG/tSD they don't have posting access to.

Right now, our current moderators are asked to moderate all forums, include the Sun Deck and its related game thread sub-forum. We are dividing those responsibilities up with this change and if the non-baseball forums warrant the need for separate moderators, I'm not opposed to that, either.

paintmered
12-01-2010, 07:43 PM
That's something that should never happen, nor would I want anyone to do that, and I'm sorry to hear that it did occur.

It's something that I was willing to do so I'm not looking for a gold star or any sympathy. And while it won't be an everyday thing for the new crop of mods, for portions of several seasons, it was for me. This happened late in the season when the Reds were hopelessly out of it and RZ was at its most frustrated state. This season, on the other hand, was quite easy to moderate the site since people enjoyed the Reds' success.

I don't mean to discourage anyone from applying. But I do think people should have an accurate idea of what it takes to moderate this website prior to applying. I'll be giving up this gig soon, and I want to see it go to someone who will ensure the continued success of RZ.

Boss-Hog
12-01-2010, 10:05 PM
I don't mean to discourage anyone from applying. But I do think people should have an accurate idea of what it takes to moderate this website prior to applying. I'll be giving up this gig soon, and I want to see it go to someone who will ensure the continued success of RZ.

Understood - I have no problem with you or any of our current mods doing that.

Ron Madden
12-02-2010, 04:09 AM
It's something that I was willing to do so I'm not looking for a gold star or any sympathy. And while it won't be an everyday thing for the new crop of mods, for portions of several seasons, it was for me. This happened late in the season when the Reds were hopelessly out of it and RZ was at its most frustrated state. This season, on the other hand, was quite easy to moderate the site since people enjoyed the Reds' success.

I'd like to say Thank You to you and the rest of the current moderators for a job well done. :clap::clap::clap:

mth123
12-02-2010, 06:37 AM
I'd like to say Thank You to you and the rest of the current moderators for a job well done. :clap::clap::clap:

Agreed. Thanks to all.

RedsBaron
12-02-2010, 10:48 AM

Amen. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Chip R
12-02-2010, 11:29 AM
A little advice to the new mods: Don't think of coming on here to moderate. Browse the site like you normally would, when your time allows you to do so, and while you are on the board, just be on the lookout for things that may require your attention. Most of it is just general maintenance like sticking, unsticking, opening, deleting and merging threads. That's 80% of it right there. The other stuff can be tricky and often isn't much fun but use your best judgement and try to be as fair as you can.

jojo
12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
A little advice to the new mods: Don't think of coming on here to moderate. Browse the site like you normally would, when your time allows you to do so, and while you are on the board, just be on the lookout for things that may require your attention. Most of it is just general maintenance like sticking, unsticking, opening, deleting and merging threads. That's 80% of it right there. The other stuff can be tricky and often isn't much fun but use your best judgement and try to be as fair as you can.

What percentage of moderating the tricky stuff is triggered via reports?

Boss-Hog
12-02-2010, 12:19 PM
What percentage of moderating the tricky stuff is triggered via reports?
I don't know that I can give you an exact percentage, but I would say a decent amount of it just because it's not realistic to expect the admins/moderators to read every single post. As a result, we rely on users to anonymously report posts that clearly violate the rules of the board. I should mention, though, that we receive plenty of reported posts that clearly are not in violation of any rules, but with the intention of being a pain in the rear.

Boss-Hog
12-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I would definitely agree with this, as well. Even as an admin, I come on the board as a reader first and foremost any moderation that's done is a result of 1). something I come across in reading threads (as a fan, not an admin) and 2). reported posts.

Heath
12-03-2010, 05:50 PM

This +1.

However, if you are chosen as a new mod, make sure that you communicate what is going on with the other mods. You have your own forum, make sure you talk. I felt that the best thing about the mods on this board were the open communication between us and also the ideas/suggestions/concerns that I had brought up to Boss/GIK. No one ever made fun of me for stupid questions.

Now, on the other hand, don't expect a RZ Mod Employee Christmas party. Chippers blew that years ago.

;)

GIK
12-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Thank you to all of our current mods for adding their 2 cents to this thread. It's appreciated.

Just a reminder that we're planning to keep this open for the next few weeks, so if you don't hear from us in the near-term don't worry. Thanks!

GAC
12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
GIK and I have collectively made the decision that it's time to replace the current moderators with a fresh set of people. This is something that has previously been suggested over the years in much the same way as elected officials, and after some discussion on the matter, we agree with the idea.

While I obviously respect you and GIK's decision to bring in a "fresh set of people", and have no problem with it whatsoever, in some sense I find it somewhat sad because we are going to be losing some guys who have not only sacrificed a lot of their own free time to perform this task... and my deepest gratitude to you all.... but done so willingly while showing a great sense of fairness and objectivity in establishing themselves to sound mods over the years they've served. So I'm going to hate to lose them.

If we're going to look at it like we do elected officials, we got people who have been in political office for 30 years.

I wouldn't mind seeing guys like Chip, paint, and the others serving that long if they've been doing a good job and so choose to. :D

Gallen5862
12-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Boss-Hogg and GIK you have mail. How many moderators are you hoping to have?

Boss-Hog
12-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Boss-Hogg and GIK you have mail. How many moderators are you hoping to have?

We will not set any limit on the number of moderators we will appoint; that is completely dependent on the number of qualified candidates that apply.

TRF
12-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I just looked at my posts over the last week. I think i argue too much to be a mod.

Ron Madden
12-12-2010, 12:03 AM
I just looked at my posts over the last week. I think i argue too much to be a mod.

Nonsense. I believe you would make a Fine Moderator.

TRF
12-12-2010, 12:06 AM
I threw my name in the hat, but i think mods tend to post less and read more. And obviously, I like to post. :)

paintmered
12-12-2010, 02:46 AM
TRF, I'm trying to remember the last time I made a post with any substance. So yeah, you're right. :)

Caveat Emperor
12-12-2010, 04:26 AM
I threw my name in the hat, but i think mods tend to post less and read more. And obviously, I like to post. :)

It was a tough trade off for me -- I know I consciously tried to stay out of a lot more debates and arguments once I became a mod.

GADawg
12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
It was a tough trade off for me -- I know I consciously tried to stay out of a lot more debates and arguments once I became a mod.

debating and arguing are awesome on here 'cause it leads the rest of us to look at things from all sides......as long as there aren't any personal attacks or patronizing comments everything is cool imo

Redsfan320
01-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Any progress on the mod selection process?

Boss-Hog
01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Yes, we've made progress. The next step is for GIK and I to evaluate the applicants and select those that we would like to appoint as moderators. I'm not going to commit to a date when they will be in place; it'll be done when it's done. In the meantime, we have qualified and experienced moderators to handle existing moderation.

Any progress on the mod selection process?

Red in Chicago
01-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Suffice it to say, you're still working out our severance packages :p:

Boss-Hog
01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
The unofficial application deadline has now passed; thanks to all those that applied. GIK and I will be reviewing the applicants ASAP, make a decision and inform everyone of the choices in this thread.

paintmered
01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Rumor is, we can collect pension starting at age 93.

Joseph
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Rumor is, we can collect pension starting at age 93.

You misread its when Redszone is 93.

paintmered
01-05-2011, 09:35 PM
You misread its when Redszone is 93.

Oh. Well, that's no good.

We need a new union. All these dues and this is what we have to show for it!?!

Chip R
01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
I think right before the new mods come in board, we ought to let the banned posters back for a day and have a roast for us.

paintmered
01-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I think right before the new mods come in board, we ought to let the banned posters back for a day and have a roast for us.

Can we ban then again at the end?

Heath
01-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Oh. Well, that's no good.

We need a new union. All these dues and this is what we have to show for it!?!

Don't forget all the credit card bills you racked up buying Cheep Jereseys!

Heath
01-06-2011, 09:13 AM

Then we toast to Auld Lang Syne.

Boss-Hog
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
All,

Thank you for your patience during this process. GIK and I had a chance to discuss the applicants and have selected the following moderators for all forums with the exception of the Sun Deck and its related game thread subforum:

Brutus the Pimp
dabvu2498
GADawg
Gallen5862
Johnny Footstool
Plus Plus
The Operator

We did not receive enough applicants for Sun Deck moderators, so we will not be appointing anyone to specifically moderate that forum. As a result, we will heavily rely on users to report posts that clearly violate the rules of the board, as is generally the case today.

Please welcome the folks mentioned above to this new position and we thank everyone who applied for the position. I expect this change to be made within the next 24 hours. Once again, thank you to all the moderators who have voluntarily offered their time to keep this site running. It's a tremendous help that GIK and I sincerely appreciate.

Tommyjohn25
01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
Welcome guys. Looks like a good group selected by Boss/GIK.

paintmered
01-23-2011, 02:17 PM
Welcome guys. Looks like a good group selected by Boss/GIK.

Agreed. Best of luck to the crew crop.

Joseph
01-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Good luck fellas, I know you'll do RZ proud.

Heath
01-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the new guys. Color me impressed with the selections.

Hey, if you find anything we left while cleaning up after us, its probably Chip's stuff. He leaves stuff everywhere.

I speak for all mods when I say that if any of you new guys need anything, don't hesitate to pm one of us. You guys will be fine.

Boss/GIK thanks for the opportunity to moderate. Rest of you mods, keep in touch, and in about 20 years will get the band back together, go on tour, and make DOUBLE what we made the past few years. They'll call us retro.

Brutus
01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the new guys. Color me impressed with the selections.

Hey, if you find anything we left while cleaning up after us, its probably Chip's stuff. He leaves stuff everywhere.

I speak for all mods when I say that if any of you new guys need anything, don't hesitate to pm one of us. You guys will be fine.

Boss/GIK thanks for the opportunity to moderate. Rest of you mods, keep in touch, and in about 20 years will get the band back together, go on tour, and make DOUBLE what we made the past few years. They'll call us retro.

I think it's customary for the outgoing to buy the incoming a round of drinks. I'll take a cocktail.

paintmered
01-23-2011, 03:14 PM
Heath already took the liberty of using my credit card to buy you all the finest Chinese-made Reds jerseys.

OnBaseMachine
01-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Paint, I love your new avatar. That logo is awesome.

The Operator
01-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Heath already took the liberty of using my credit card to buy you all the finest Chinese-made Reds jerseys.Excellent!

I'll need that credit card number though, just in case there are any shipping problems. ;)

paintmered
01-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Excellent!

I'll need that credit card number though, just in case there are any shipping problems. ;)

It's stickied to the top of the mod forum. I got one of those super fancy cards with no limits, so go crazy. If it's not there when you get access to the forum, blame Boss. :D

OBM - thanks. I thought this was an appropriate opportunity to retire the banana.

Chip R
01-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Good luck, fellas.

Gallen5862
01-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks to the outgoing mods. I will ask you questions as I assume the duties. Also congratulations to my fellow new mods.

muddie
01-23-2011, 08:08 PM
Congrats to all you guys. Looks like a good group of mods.

GADawg
01-23-2011, 08:18 PM
All,

Thank you for your patience during this process. GIK and I had a chance to discuss the applicants and have selected the following moderators for all forums with the exception of the Sun Deck and its related game thread subforum:

Brutus the Pimp
dabvu2498
GADawg
Gallen5862
Johnny Footstool
Plus Plus
The Operator

We did not receive enough applicants for Sun Deck moderators, so we will not be appointing anyone to specifically moderate that forum. As a result, we will heavily rely on users to report posts that clearly violate the rules of the board, as is generally the case today.

Please welcome the folks mentioned above to this new position and we thank everyone who applied for the position. I expect this change to be made within the next 24 hours. Once again, thank you to all the moderators who have voluntarily offered their time to keep this site running. It's a tremendous help that GIK and I sincerely appreciate.

awesome! i think. I'd like to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press...

now which way do i go?

Caveat Emperor
01-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Good luck all. May your "merge threads" never fail.

Heath
01-23-2011, 11:00 PM
awesome! i think. I'd like to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press...

now which way do i go?

That way <---->

Heath
01-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Good luck all. May your "merge threads" never fail.

..and your bannings swift

camisadelgolf
01-24-2011, 03:13 AM
Mods, I have every intention of testing your authority to the fullest extent. Good luck.

But in all seriousness, this is a potentially weird situation for the previous moderatorss, and it shouldn't go unnoticed how classy they've handled this. I fully support bringing in new blood, but that isn't a criticism of anyone. I think excellent choices were made for the new group, and I think the site will continue to function well, but I really can't express enough respect for the prior mods for how they're handling what could be an awkward situation. I appreciate you all for what you've done (even if I've disagreed with it at times ;)), and I'm looking forward to the new group continuing your success.

oneupper
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
So these are the guys?

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/mod-squad-c.jpg

BRM
01-24-2011, 05:18 PM
Congrats to all you guys. Looks like a good group of mods.

Agreed. With the exception of that Vandy grad of course...;)

Heath
01-24-2011, 10:38 PM
So these are the guys?

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/mod-squad-c.jpg

Chip wore the blond wig as a disguise.

I wear glasses.

Leisure Suits are best on paint.

paintmered
01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Leisure Suits are best on paint.

Sup, ladies?