PDA

View Full Version : If youre going to Redsfest could you ask a question

icehole3
11-30-2010, 02:54 PM
was wondering if someone could ask Joey Votto what he thinks about a move to LF? He could be the starting LFer for the next 10 years if he moved out there.

edabbs44
11-30-2010, 02:56 PM
As long as he is signed, he would be the starting 1B for the next 10 as well.

icehole3
11-30-2010, 03:30 PM

I doubt that as long as Puhols is in the NL

westofyou
11-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Why is Pujols so good that he starts for all the teams in the league?

icehole3
11-30-2010, 03:37 PM

wut???

Big Klu
11-30-2010, 03:38 PM

He's so good that Bud retired the position. "No one will ever play first base again."

edabbs44
11-30-2010, 03:44 PM
He's so good that Bud retired the position. "No one will ever play first base again."

If they can blanket retire #42 for Jackie, they can blanket retire 1B for Albert.

Jpup
11-30-2010, 03:46 PM
The Reds would need a First baseman then. Yonder is a long way away from playing everyday in the bigs. That swing is way too long.

Sea Ray
11-30-2010, 04:26 PM
The Reds have made it clear Votto's not changing positions. How many pages of RZ bandwidth has been spent on moving Phillips to SS?

11-30-2010, 04:53 PM

Yeah, he isn't Jim Coombs.:)

Edd Roush
12-01-2010, 05:34 PM

I agree that this is the likely case. However, I kind of wonder what he would respond to the question in front of thousands of people. I think it is a very valid question and am interested in what he would say.

westofyou
12-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I agree that this is the likely case. However, I kind of wonder what he would respond to the question in front of thousands of people. I think it is a very valid question and am interested in what he would say.

Thousands of people?

At Redsfest?

HeatherC1212
12-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Thousands of people?

At Redsfest?

Yeah, there are thousands of people who come to Redsfest. There were over 20,000 people there last year between the two event days if I remember right. I know there were about 8600+ there on Friday night because it was written up somewhere recently. It's a great event for the fans. Why are you surprised by this? :confused:

westofyou
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Why are you surprised by this? :confused:

Because the team has trouble drawing people to actual games?

But I was also thinking of the Winter Caravan.

Anyway moving to LF at his age from the wrong side of the defensive spectrum is not going to happen.

Edd Roush
12-01-2010, 05:57 PM

But I was also thinking of the Winter Caravan.

Anyway moving to LF at his age from the wrong side of the defensive spectrum is not going to happen.

There will be 1000s of people at Redsfest; it has been that way for most of Redsfest's history.

I am not saying he will or should move to left. I just wonder how he would handle said question. It would be particularly interesting if Dusty/Walt were on the stage at the same time to see if they would cut in before/during Votto's response to see how they would handle the situation.

George Anderson
12-01-2010, 06:12 PM

The answer is...........Redsfest gives lotsa free stuff away.

Chip R
12-02-2010, 10:55 AM
was wondering if someone could ask Joey Votto what he thinks about a move to LF? He could be the starting LFer for the next 10 years if he moved out there.

I love this question. "Joey, great season. Congratulations on your MVP, All Star Game selection and other awards. Everyone says you are one of the best young first basemen in the game both offensively and defensively. Oh, by the way, could you move to LF to make room for Yonder Alonso?"

icehole3
12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
I love this question. "Joey, great season. Congratulations on your MVP, All Star Game selection and other awards. Everyone says you are one of the best young first basemen in the game both offensively and defensively. Oh, by the way, could you move to LF to make room for Yonder Alonso?"

so Pete Rose did it :p:

_Sir_Charles_
12-02-2010, 12:31 PM

EXACTLY the way I feel. If Yonder can't move off of first base effectively, then he's a trading chip. Period.

dougdirt
12-02-2010, 02:49 PM
EXACTLY the way I feel. If Yonder can't move off of first base effectively, then he's a trading chip. Period.

Yeah, who cares about making the team better? If Alonso to first and Votto to LF makes the Reds the best team, why shouldn't it be done?

bucksfan2
12-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah, who cares about making the team better? If Alonso to first and Votto to LF makes the Reds the best team, why shouldn't it be done?

Why do you assume it makes the Reds better? What if it makes the Reds worse? Lets be honest Alonso wasn't a world beater when he came up last Sept.

westofyou
12-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Of course that's assuming that it makes the team better, the track record of 1b who played LF has some great failures over the course of history.

I can't remember a successful one myself.

Seems kinda ridiculous at this juncture, even to pretend that it could happen.

icehole3
12-02-2010, 03:09 PM
why should it be taboo to even talk about it with him, geez

bucksfan2
12-02-2010, 03:11 PM
why should it be taboo to even talk about it with him, geez

"Hey Joey, you have just won the NL MVP, led your team to its first playoff berth in over a decade, and have established yourself as one of the best 1b in the game. Why don't you move to LF so we can insert a rookie who hasn't done squat at the major league level."

Don't really think its taboo, just think fantasy is getting ahead of reality.

icehole3
12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
"Hey Joey, you have just won the NL MVP, led your team to its first playoff berth in over a decade, and have established yourself as one of the best 1b in the game. Why don't you move to LF so we can insert a rookie who hasn't done squat at the major league level."

Don't really think its taboo, just think fantasy is getting ahead of reality.

it was only a question, it wasnt a demand of any kind, if they can ask Puhols to move why cant someone ask Votto

westofyou
12-02-2010, 03:19 PM
it was only a question, it wasnt a demand of any kind, if they can ask Puhols to move why cant someone ask Votto

Pujols (with a silent J) was moved from a tougher position to an easier one.

Apples and oranges

lollipopcurve
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
it was only a question, it wasnt a demand of any kind,

I think it goes without saying at this point that Votto does not want to move. Asking him about it is kind of a trap question.

icehole3
12-02-2010, 03:44 PM

Apples and oranges

so LF is tougher than 1B

westofyou
12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
so LF is tougher than 1B

That's the point, you're asking a MVP player at 1st to move to a tougher position.

Seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul to me.. and goes against the defensive spectrum rule.

Razor Shines
12-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Apples and oranges

Thank you, that was getting kind of annoying.

Back to the topic.

IF it would make the Reds a better team, whether it's Alonso or someone else, I think it would be something to consider. But clearly at this point there isn't any reason consider moving Joey.

I know another question not to ask. Don't ask Brandon about needing another bat. :D