PDA

View Full Version : New uniforms to be unvield at Redsfest?

batsfan
11-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Marty is interviewing Phil Castellini on the Hot Stove radio show, and when asked about some of the highlights, it sounded like he briefly said something about "unveiling the new jerseys" on Friday. Has anyone heard anything about this? Did I mishear this, or did Phil let something slip?

Joseph
11-30-2010, 07:19 PM
I didn't hear it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that were the case. They tweak things every few years lately. Could be something completely new,but I'd bet its more likely some new piping or stitching.

muddie
11-30-2010, 07:57 PM
Interesting.

Eric_the_Red
11-30-2010, 09:00 PM
I heard it. The Reds are getting new spring training/BP jerseys this year. (I think all the MLB teams have changed their BP uni's each of the last 2 years, so maybe this is an annual thing?)

RedsManRick
11-30-2010, 09:13 PM
I heard it. The Reds are getting new spring training/BP jerseys this year. (I think all the MLB teams have changed their BP uni's each of the last 2 years, so maybe this is an annual thing?)

Teams in all sports have been doing it more and more frequently over the last decade or so as it increases merchandise revenue.

Unassisted
11-30-2010, 09:34 PM
The planned/frequent obsolescence of the uniform design is a good reason to continue my practice of never buying a jersey to wear. ;)

Joseph
11-30-2010, 09:53 PM
The planned/frequent obsolescence of the uniform design is a good reason to continue my practice of never buying a jersey to wear. ;)

So true so true.

Whatever happened to the classics?

LawFive
11-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Interesting. They've only had the current ones for what, three years? Seems like they would want something to last longer in the name of brand continuity. I remember BCast saying something about that when the current set was unveiled...don't have the exact quote but it was along the lines of "we had this font created specifically for us, and it will be recognized as the Reds brand for years to come".

Yachtzee
12-01-2010, 12:08 AM
I hope it means getting rid of black from the hats and jerseys. For the Reds, the best looks have been the least fussy. I love the late '60s unis when the Reds had simple, clean design that rivaled the Dodgers and Yankees as iconic looks for the era. Less is more.

For the alt jersey, go with the sleeveless Mr. Redlegs era models when they had the numbers above the names on the back.

WVRedsFan
12-01-2010, 01:25 AM
I hate the present uniforms. Too white and not enough red. At least the sleevless models had red sleeves on the undershirt. I hope for something along the lines of the 1961 uniforms and going to blue instead of black. Those uniforms were sharp, unique and not bland, just the opposite of milquetoast, commonplace, and very bland. Everyone wants to have uniforms like the BRM, but those days are gone as should be the uniforms. JMO.

Ron Madden
12-01-2010, 05:23 AM
I'm sure he was talking about new batting practice/spring training uniforms.

I like the current uniform but I love the uniform they wore for The Civil Rights Game in 2010.

Eric_the_Red
12-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes, the onlu uni's changing are the ones they wear at BP and spring training.

The home/away/alternate uni's are (thankfully) not changing.

RANDY IN INDY
12-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Every team in MLB will be getting new BP jerseys. Nothing but a marketing ploy by MLB and Majestic. I think it's stupid that all the teams wear the same type BP jerseys and caps. What happened to the individuality of teams to select their own styles? Next thing you know, Nike will get the contract and everything will go crazy.

RANDY IN INDY
12-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Here's a glimpse of the Majestic template for the new BP jerseys, ala the Braves.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5208/5218452959_22332b4209_o.png

A little "busy" in my opinion. At least they are going to be full-button front, instead of the two button placket of the past few years.

reds1869
12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Every team in MLB will be getting new BP jerseys. Nothing but a marketing ploy by MLB and Majestic. I think it's stupid that all the teams wear the same type BP jerseys and caps. What happened to the individuality of teams to select their own styles? Next thing you know, Nike will get the contract and everything will go crazy.

I share your feelings. I hate how corporate the NFL is and pray MLB doesn't keep edging down that road. Individuality is one of the best things about baseball clubs. Bud is doing his best to "footballize" the majors.

Redsfaithful
12-01-2010, 11:58 AM

I like the current uniform but I love the uniform they wore for The Civil Rights Game in 2010.

I wish these could be the uniforms. I'd get my wallet out for sure.

RANDY IN INDY
12-01-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't really mind the current home uniforms. I do wish that they would go back to the vest look on the road with red sleeves. If they must use a third color, I wish they would use navy blue and not black and keep it to a minimum. I have never liked black being incorporated into the uniform. Best case, red and white only.

Ghosts of 1990
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM

Per my guy with the Reds, it's just a batting practice/spring training/workout jersey they're talking about. It does build some hoopla and excitement for the Redsfest event, but they're not unveiling a new uniform.

They're not going to change the current uniforms. They've only had them since the 2007 season and, as a poster said earlier in this thread the Castellini's want to create a 'brand' like most good organizations in sports do with their uniforms.

The Packers. The Yankees. The Red Sox.

Changing your uniform every few years is really, really bad business.

TRF
12-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Changing your uniform every few years is really, really bad business.

I disagree. As long as the wishbone C is there, people will buy it. As long as the change isn't too drastic, ala the Rays and some NFL teams, again, Tampa Bay, once every 4-5 years isn't too bad. And I'd love to see the Reds ditch the black that EVERYONE seems to be lining their uniforms with for a Navy Blue,

BoydsOfSummer
12-01-2010, 02:30 PM
I think they should go with Mossy Oak or RealTree camo. And I'm only half kidding.

Yachtzee
12-02-2010, 01:02 AM
I don't really mind the current home uniforms. I do wish that they would go back to the vest look on the road with red sleeves. If they must use a third color, I wish they would use navy blue and not black and keep it to a minimum. I have never liked black being incorporated into the uniform. Best case, red and white only.

I think the vest look from the 2009 Civil Rights game would be a good alternate jersey, especially since I have never been a fan of the solid color alts, which look like overpriced BP jerseys. I think the current road unis would be better if they dumped the black from the hat. I agree that navy blue would be a better accent color than black.

Ghosts of 1990
12-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Interesting. They've only had the current ones for what, three years? Seems like they would want something to last longer in the name of brand continuity. I remember BCast saying something about that when the current set was unveiled...don't have the exact quote but it was along the lines of "we had this font created specifically for us, and it will be recognized as the Reds brand for years to come".

Cincinnati will feature three different uniforms styles -- for home games, road games and a red-colored alternate jersey top. The Reds front office, headed by chief executive officer Bob Castellini and senior director of business operations Phil Castellini consulted with Major League Baseball on the uniform renovations.

"It was about how do you wrap up the tradition of the franchise and get a look that will last you hopefully, a decade or two at the same time?" Phil Castellini said "We are not a team that plans on doing a new uniform every two years just to sell merchandise. We want to be like the Yankees and the Cards, where it's the same uniform year after year. We want the core base to be the same so that your kids, my kids and their kids remember the Reds with that uniform."

OnBaseMachine
12-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Here are the Reds new BP jerseys:

http://twitpic.com/3c9s8w

Eric_the_Red
12-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Here are the Reds new BP jerseys:

http://twitpic.com/3c9s8w

Hideous. They look like those cheap off-brand jerseys you buy at Wal-Mart.

Ghosts of 1990
12-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Hideous. They look like those cheap off-brand jerseys you buy at Wal-Mart.

You took the words from my mouth

Chip R
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Agreed.

RANDY IN INDY
12-03-2010, 02:09 AM
"Reds" in script across the front? (And ugly script to boot) Where did that come from?

What's next, a script "R" on the BP caps? :rolleyes: Heresy.

Always Red
12-03-2010, 08:40 AM
"Reds" in script across the front? (And ugly script to boot) Where did that come from?

What's next, a script "R" on the BP caps? :rolleyes: Heresy.

Amazingly (because I agree that they are hideous) there is historical precedent for this script:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5227864024_d9db3b263b_o.png

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5227804326_49f4c8b51a_z.jpg

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2010/12/03/probably-the-most-ill-ever-write-about-a-bp-jersey/

Ghosts of 1990
12-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Do I see some blue in that script? Or am I going color blind?

camisadelgolf
12-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Do I see some blue in that script? Or am I going color blind?
Yes, it's quite prominent in the MetroMix gal.

RANDY IN INDY
12-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Amazingly (because I agree that they are hideous) there is historical precedent for this script:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/5227864024_d9db3b263b_o.png

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4091/5227804326_49f4c8b51a_z.jpg

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2010/12/03/probably-the-most-ill-ever-write-about-a-bp-jersey/

Hope the longevity is the same, or less. Script with a tail looks awful on short words, like "Reds." If they were going to use script, they should have at least went for "Redlegs." I might have
went for it then.

Yachtzee
12-03-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm sure WOY might know, but weren't those 1937 jerseys with the script "Reds" on them made of silk or satin or some other shiny material specifically for night games (so that fans could see the players better)? I think I saw one on display before along with a Brooklyn Dodgers jersey of the same material. They looked like pajama shirts.

RANDY IN INDY
12-04-2010, 02:57 AM
That's correct, Yachtzee. The uniforms were referred to as the "Palm Beach" uniform.

Yachtzee
12-04-2010, 04:43 PM
That's correct, Yachtzee. The uniforms were referred to as the "Palm Beach" uniform.

Thanks, Randy.