PDA

View Full Version : Russia gets 2018 World Cup, Qatar gets 2022 World Cup

Homer Bailey
12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I know we've got some big soccer fans on here. This one is surely going to be controversial. Let's hear it!

BuckeyeRed27
12-02-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm not too surprised about Russia, but Qatar? Pretty shocked by that one.

reds1869
12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Qatar is a horrible decision but vote buying is what it is. Until Blatter & Friends are taken out of power this what we can expect. Nothing like a World Cup played in 120 degree heat! As the US delegation said "you can air condition a stadium, but you can't air condition an entire country." By the way, Qatar signed a lovely defense pact with Iran this spring; could see some serious boycotting taking place in 2022 if the political situation remains tense.

bucksfan2
12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
This is not a meant to be political at all.

President Obama has twice tried to help in landing a world stage event for the US. First was the Chicago Olympics now the World Cup. He is 0-2. Yikes!

reds1869
12-02-2010, 01:02 PM
This is not a meant to be political at all.

President Obama has twice tried to help in landing a world stage event for the US. First was the Chicago Olympics now the World Cup. He is 0-2. Yikes!

One of the rumblings this week was that FIFA felt the US did not receive sufficient government backing for our bid.

BuckeyeRed27
12-02-2010, 02:07 PM
One of the rumblings this week was that FIFA felt the US did not receive sufficient government backing for our bid.

The US should have promised to build a stadium in Ely, Nevada. It looks like that would have pushed us over the edge. Oh well.

BuckeyeRed27
12-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Obviously it's 12 years away and the scheduling probably won't be worked out for a while, but I was wondering if there had been any talk of more night games in Qatar. That would help with the heat issue and also put the games on at a more favorable time in both Europe and the US. I don't know if FIFA has a rule on how late games could kick off, but temperatures at 10PM would be much better than at noon.

Hoosier Red
12-02-2010, 03:10 PM

A lot of that has to do with promising government money to cover for cost over runs and to make sure FIFA gets its money. For whatever reason, the United States wouldn't guarantee the money explicitly, but if the event were held here, there's no way it wouldn't provide all the profits FIFA needs and more. Consider the 1994 World Cup holds the record for not only per match attendance, but also for Total Tournament attendance. That's significant because it has held the record even as the next 4 tournaments had 12 more games than the 94 WC.

Yachtzee
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
A lot of that has to do with promising government money to cover for cost over runs and to make sure FIFA gets its money. For whatever reason, the United States wouldn't guarantee the money explicitly, but if the event were held here, there's no way it wouldn't provide all the profits FIFA needs and more. Consider the 1994 World Cup holds the record for not only per match attendance, but also for Total Tournament attendance. That's significant because it has held the record even as the next 4 tournaments had 12 more games than the 94 WC.

If FIFA were interested in a profitable World Cup, I think that England and the U.S. would have been the choices, as both countries already have a substantial amount of state-of-the-art facilities where games could be held, would probably be able to guarantee sell-outs for all games, and would bring in the most advertising dollars. However, I don't thing the FIFA executive council is interested in how much money the World Cup can make, but rather how much money they can make by deciding where to place the World Cup. There are already plenty of allegations about vote buying, influence trading and kickbacks flying around, especially in the English media. Maybe the media scrutiny on finances that FIFA would be sure to face in England and the US had something to do with things too.

LoganBuck
12-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Anyone up for a road trip?

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Americans in Qatar should exercise a high level of security awareness. The Department of State remains concerned about the possibility of terrorist attacks against United States citizens and interests throughout the world. Americans should maintain a low profile, vary routes and times for all required travel, and treat mail and packages from unfamiliar sources with suspicion. In addition, American citizens are urged to avoid contact with any suspicious, unfamiliar objects, and to report the presence of the objects to local authorities. Vehicles should not be left unattended, if at all possible, and should be kept locked at all times. U.S. Government personnel overseas have been advised to take the same precautions. In addition, U.S. Government facilities may temporarily close or suspend public services from time to time as necessary to review their security posture and ensure its adequacy.

More fun
http://qatar.usembassy.gov/warden_information/warden-message-january-24-2010---security-concerns---reminder.html

bucksfan2
12-02-2010, 03:48 PM

Could the 94 World Cup hold the attendance record because the stadiums. According to Wiki the smallest stadium in 94 was RFK around 53000 while the largest was the Rose Bowl at 91000. To compare look at Germany which did have some larger venues (Berlin checking in at 74000) but the majority of stadiums were under RFK's capacity.

To be honest it would make much more sense to hold the cup in a developed nation. It may seem biased and unfair but if you put the cup in America, France, England, Japan, Germany, etc. the infrastructure is already there and the stadiums for the most part are there as well.

15fan
12-02-2010, 03:54 PM
2022 World Cup smack in the middle of Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen and Somalia.

What could possibly go wrong?

Edit: And the lack of fun to be had by fans & visitors will make the 2008 Beijing Olympics look like Mardi Gras.

WMR
12-02-2010, 03:56 PM
The entire area will likely be glass at that point anyway the way things are going.

What a frigging stupid place to have the World Cup. Par for the course for FIFA.

Yachtzee
12-02-2010, 03:57 PM
Obviously it's 12 years away and the scheduling probably won't be worked out for a while, but I was wondering if there had been any talk of more night games in Qatar. That would help with the heat issue and also put the games on at a more favorable time in both Europe and the US. I don't know if FIFA has a rule on how late games could kick off, but temperatures at 10PM would be much better than at noon.

It should be interesting to see if Qatar can pull it off. Seems like there's hope that they can keep large stadiums, larger than they have yet built, can be kept cool. And all that talk about "Carbon Neutral" facilities is a sham, considering Qatar has been one of the hugest per-capita producers of greenhouse gases in the World.

The FIFA World Cup is merely a tool to promote Qatar as a vacation destination to wealthy Middle Eastern, Asian, and European Businessmen. If you're Israeli, you'll be able to come, but only if Israel qualifies. And while they say they'll permit some alcohol sales, what about female fans? Are they going to be allowed to attend on their own without having to deal with harassment from the locals because of their attire or lack of a male relative chaperon? Or is Qatar just going to cordon off the World Cup revelers from the local population to avoid any unfortunate confrontations?

WMR
12-02-2010, 03:58 PM
2022 World Cup smack in the middle of Israel, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen and Somalia.

What could possibly go wrong?

Edit: And the lack of fun to be had by fans & visitors will make the 2008 Beijing Olympics look like Mardi Gras.

If they catch you kissing on the beach they'll throw your ass in prison.

15fan
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
If they catch you kissing on the beach they'll throw your ass in prison.

But we can all bring our vuvuzelas, right?

WMR
12-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Siberia and the Middle East ... I know that's where I would choose to have MY World Cup. :lol:

Cedric
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Fifa and sports in general are honestly giving politics a run for it's money in terms of corruption lately.

Quite pathetic and sad.

Caveat Emperor
12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Siberia and the Middle East ... I know that's where I would choose to have MY World Cup. :lol:

Or, as a friend pointed out on Facebook today:

What the hell are three million people going to do when the game is over? Drink in the street? Yeah that's illegal over there.

This is a serious Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot decision for FIFA (and one that I can only assume, given the corruption of the organization, made a lot of officials very wealthy). They're holding what amounts to the biggest sporting event in the world, and by extension the biggest party for sports fans in the world, in a country where fun is pretty much illegal. Alcohol consumption is limited to a very small number of bars and clubs and strictly prohibited in public (as is appearing under the influence in public). Yup, sounds like the perfect place for football fans to gather from around the world.

Oh, and on top of that, we're also talking about a country that is buddy-buddy with Iran. Sounds like the perfect place to go spend a week or two for an American.

Roy Tucker
12-03-2010, 01:10 PM
petrodollars speak.

I'd like to put a watch on the bank accounts of the FIFA voters and see if they light up like skyrockets. Russia at least has a modicum of believability as a WC host, but Qatar? Somebody got a lot of money for this.

Chip R
12-03-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2276606/

Hoosier Red
12-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Could the 94 World Cup hold the attendance record because the stadiums. According to Wiki the smallest stadium in 94 was RFK around 53000 while the largest was the Rose Bowl at 91000. To compare look at Germany which did have some larger venues (Berlin checking in at 74000) but the majority of stadiums were under RFK's capacity.

To be honest it would make much more sense to hold the cup in a developed nation. It may seem biased and unfair but if you put the cup in America, France, England, Japan, Germany, etc. the infrastructure is already there and the stadiums for the most part are there as well.

Well yes, the large stadium capacities played a big role in the tournaments success, but that's sort of the point. Even in soccer mad countries like Germany and England, there aren't multiple 100,000 seat stadiums to play the game.

Hoosier Red
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Qatar released its map for the venues in the 2022 World Cup.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg585/scaled.php?tn=0&server=585&filename=g5w0.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Seriously though, the third largest city in Qatar has a population of 30,000.
http://population.mongabay.com/population/qatar

For comparison's sake, Bloomington IN, the music video setting of a certain John Mellancamp song (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_Town), has a population of 69,000.

BuckeyeRed27
12-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I think I read that every stadium will be in Doha and they are all within about 35 miles of each other. Something like 85% of the population lives in Doha or the surrounding areas.

Oxilon
12-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Qatar is just a pathetic decision. Of all the developed nations, Qatar may have been the WORST possible choice. There are already endless geographical, political, and cultural issues -- and we're still 12 years away from the event! Given the volatile nature of the Middle East, especially regarding politics and religion, I can only assume there will be more issues ahead.

FIFA is becoming more corrupt than boxing in the 1940's.

EDIT: Does Qatar even have a quality World Cup soccer team?

BuckeyeRed27
12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Qatar is just a pathetic decision. Of all the developed nations, Qatar may have been the WORST possible choice. There are already endless geographical, political, and cultural issues -- and we're still 12 years away from the event! Given the volatile nature of the Middle East, especially regarding politics and religion, I can only assume there will be more issues ahead.

FIFA is becoming more corrupt than boxing in the 1940's.

EDIT: Does Qatar even have a quality World Cup soccer team?

No. I believe they are ranked 117th and have never qualified for the WC.

There is a pretty funny Youtube clip of a Qatar player missing a wide open goal against Uzbekistan a couple months ago. I'm too lazy to go find it, but it's pretty funny.

improbus
12-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I saw a tweet that Sepp Blatter just bought a $150 million dollar villa in Italy. I haven't found a story to corroborate yet, but it wouldn't be surprising.

Now, I'm angry that we didn't get the Cup for selfish reasons (I wanted to go to some games), but it does make some sense to take the game to emerging soccer markets. Russia has been improving greatly lately, and the Middle East is a huge market and has been funding the Premier League for years now (along w/ Abromovich from Russia....). So, remember that every time you fill up your car, a small portion of that money goes to paying for the 2022 WC!;)

Yachtzee
12-05-2010, 11:00 AM
I saw a tweet that Sepp Blatter just bought a $150 million dollar villa in Italy. I haven't found a story to corroborate yet, but it wouldn't be surprising.

Now, I'm angry that we didn't get the Cup for selfish reasons (I wanted to go to some games), but it does make some sense to take the game to emerging soccer markets. Russia has been improving greatly lately, and the Middle East is a huge market and has been funding the Premier League for years now (along w/ Abromovich from Russia....). So, remember that every time you fill up your car, a small portion of that money goes to paying for the 2022 WC!;)

In general, I think its good to have the World Cup in places that haven't had the opportunity before, and one thing Qatar has going for it is the high number of foreign workers there. However, I think there are or should be minimum requirements that the host country must meet which were totally ignored here. There's a lot of talk from FIFA about bringing the World together. Yet Qatar denies entrance to anyone carrying an Israeli passport. They've said Israeli fans would be allowed in IF Israel qualifies, but why should that be a requirement. I'm sure there are plenty of Israelis that still root for teams from their birth countries. The host of the World Cup should not be allowed to deny entry to fans based on nationality.

What about female fans? Will they be permitted to travel freely without harassment? Will they be required to have a male chaperon? Will they have to sit in segregated sections? Will Larissa Riquelme have to wear a burqa? I think those are important questions that should have been answered in the bidding process as many of those who attend the World Cup are women.

Blatter likes to say he's bringing the World Cup to the Middle East, but I really think he's brought it to the wealthy international businessmen.

Yachtzee
12-05-2010, 11:13 AM
No. I believe they are ranked 117th and have never qualified for the WC.

There is a pretty funny Youtube clip of a Qatar player missing a wide open goal against Uzbekistan a couple months ago. I'm too lazy to go find it, but it's pretty funny.

I read somewhere that Qatar has opened an international soccer academy. With Qatar's number of actual citizens less than 1 million, its unlikely that such an academy would be able to produce many world-class professional players. Thus the real purpose of the academy is probably to invite players from developing countries (Africa) and provide the better players with jobs for their families and a fast track toward Qatari citizenship. Don't be surprised if the Qatar national team for 2022 features a lot of naturalized citizens.

NJReds
12-05-2010, 11:26 AM

That'd be funny considering he hates Italy. He wasn't even on hand to give them the World Cup trophy when they won in 2006. Too busy so he sent his second in command.

FIFA is a huge joke. Maybe the most corrupt sports organization in existence.

improbus
12-05-2010, 11:44 AM
That'd be funny considering he hates Italy. He wasn't even on hand to give them the World Cup trophy when they won in 2006. Too busy so he sent his second in command.

FIFA is a huge joke. Maybe the most corrupt sports organization in existence.

The IOC is offended by this statement.

Yachtzee
12-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Wow, been reading up on England's reaction.

Acting FA chief is resigning in protest over FIFA "dishonesty."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0%2C%2C12098_6551912%2C00%2Ben-USS_01DBC.html

Here's a column calling for England to withdraw from FIFA and attempt to bring about a revolution against Sepp Blatter and his cronies.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-last-word-overthrow-of-fifa-is-the-best-way-forward-2151665.html

I don't know how realistic it is, but if anyone could force a change by withdrawing from FIFA, it would be England, if only because so many foreign-born players play in the EPL, Championship, and Football League. If forced to choose between club and country, I'm sure most of those players, especially the ones from developing countries, would choose to stay in England for the regular paycheck rather than play for the corrupt federation of their home country.

NJReds
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow, been reading up on England's reaction.

Acting FA chief is resigning in protest over FIFA "dishonesty."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0%2C%2C12098_6551912%2C00%2Ben-USS_01DBC.html

Here's a column calling for England to withdraw from FIFA and attempt to bring about a revolution against Sepp Blatter and his cronies.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/the-last-word-overthrow-of-fifa-is-the-best-way-forward-2151665.html

I don't know how realistic it is, but if anyone could force a change by withdrawing from FIFA, it would be England, if only because so many foreign-born players play in the EPL, Championship, and Football League. If forced to choose between club and country, I'm sure most of those players, especially the ones from developing countries, would choose to stay in England for the regular paycheck rather than play for the corrupt federation of their home country.

I hope they do it ... and I hope some of the other big countries follow.

Yachtzee
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I hope they do it ... and I hope some of the other big countries follow.

I would love it if the US and Mexico could have an alternative out there so that they could tell CONCACAF and Jack Warner to take a hike.

paintmered
12-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Please please please let this happen.

hottentotspur
12-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Russia, okay, but Qatar is a total shame!

Kingspoint
12-08-2010, 05:16 PM
The matches in Qatar will never take place.

Kingspoint
12-08-2010, 05:17 PM
The IOC is offended by this statement.
:beerme:

BuckeyeRed27
12-08-2010, 05:37 PM
The matches in Qatar will never take place.

Just curious why you say that?

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Looks like the decision to let Qatar host the World Cup is already paying dividends:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iBMZelGLqs5uWe8-6Z85R_Ed45QA?docId=CNG.eb63d08c46fc03277ee2b129a6b 13866.171

GENEVA — Swiss television channel RTS claimed on Sunday that a pair of their sports reporters were held against their will for 13 days in Qatar, the host country for the 2022 football World Cup.

The duo, who were filming a report on football in Qatar, "were grounded on Qatari soil for two weeks without receiving a clear explanation of what they were accused of," said RTS in a statement.

The journalist and the cameraman were able to return to Switzerland on Friday morning, after an "intense" effort from the Swiss embassy in Kuwait; Switzerland not having diplomatic representation in Qatar.

The pair were filming "landscape shots," according to RTS, when they were stopped by a police patrol at Mesaieed and taken to a local police station, where they were handcuffed and interrogated for several hours.

Caveat Emperor
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Looks like the decision to let Qatar host the World Cup is already paying dividends:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iBMZelGLqs5uWe8-6Z85R_Ed45QA?docId=CNG.eb63d08c46fc03277ee2b129a6b 13866.171

GENEVA — Swiss television channel RTS claimed on Sunday that a pair of their sports reporters were held against their will for 13 days in Qatar, the host country for the 2022 football World Cup.

The duo, who were filming a report on football in Qatar, "were grounded on Qatari soil for two weeks without receiving a clear explanation of what they were accused of," said RTS in a statement.

The journalist and the cameraman were able to return to Switzerland on Friday morning, after an "intense" effort from the Swiss embassy in Kuwait; Switzerland not having diplomatic representation in Qatar.

The pair were filming "landscape shots," according to RTS, when they were stopped by a police patrol at Mesaieed and taken to a local police station, where they were handcuffed and interrogated for several hours.

WMR
04-19-2011, 01:29 PM
One of the stupidest, most asinine decisions in sports planning history...

From an organization as corrupt as FIFA, however, it is, unfortunately, to be expected.

You couldn't PAY ME to go to a World Cup in Qatar.

reds1869
04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
I would love to see the big money nations of FIFA (England, Brazil, France, Germany, etc.) pull out of the 2022 World Cup and stage their own contest. Perhaps then FIFA would think twice about their corrupt little fiefdom.

WMR
04-19-2011, 02:40 PM
It's just sad. Each of us only gets a certain number of World Cups in our lifetime, and to have those corrupt, greedy &&&&&&& in charge of the World's game just irks me to no end.

I wonder who at FIFA got rich over Qatar landing that WC? Probably all of them.

It would be a good debate, which organization sucks more, the NCAA or FIFA. :lol:

Simon Rhymon
04-20-2011, 12:38 PM
I would love to see the big money nations of FIFA (England, Brazil, France, Germany, etc.) pull out of the 2022 World Cup and stage their own contest. Perhaps then FIFA would think twice about their corrupt little fiefdom.

That thought hadn't occurred to me but it is an excellent suggestion. :thumbup: Qatar is the most ridiculous, illogical example of corruption FIFA has come up with. Soccer in a questionable visitor-friendly atmosphere in the middle of the desert in the summer time. They never cease to amaze me.

Yachtzee
04-20-2011, 04:10 PM

I don't know if England would go for it, considering their bigger beef is that they were told they'd get the 2018 World Cup and ended up losing to Russia. Since both are in UEFA, England stands to lose quite a bit if they buck their own confederation. To boycott the 2022 World Cup and have it be meaningful, you'd have to get UEFA and/or CONMEBOL on board. The US and Mexico could probably go it alone without CONCACAF, since CONCACAF is run by the same kind of greedy swindlers that resulted in Qatar getting the World Cup in the first place. However, without a power conference like UEFA or CONMEBOL, you won't see much happening.

Another option raised elsewhere, forcing Sepp Blatter out as FIFA head, probably won't do much either, since his primary competition for the job is, yep, you guessed it, a Qatari.

I think the most likely scenarios that would cause Qatar to lose the World Cup would be 1) a major scandal comes to light, forcing FIFA to move the World Cup in order to save face and/or avoid legal consequences (it would probably have to rise to the level of considering FIFA a criminal organization); 2) political unrest in Qatar calls into question the ability to ensure the safety of visitors; or 3) the economics/practicality of building all those new stadia just doesn't work out, causing Qatar to give up as host.

Yachtzee
04-20-2011, 04:26 PM
It's just sad. Each of us only gets a certain number of World Cups in our lifetime, and to have those corrupt, greedy &&&&&&& in charge of the World's game just irks me to no end.

I wonder who at FIFA got rich over Qatar landing that WC? Probably all of them.

It would be a good debate, which organization sucks more, the NCAA or FIFA. :lol:

I don't doubt that many, many pockets got lined in the decision making process. Blatter's whole power base has been the many smaller federations of FIFA, which he buys off through generous grants for "youth soccer programs" and the like. He is then able to get his cronies elected to high positions in the Executive Committee and in the power positions of certain confederations. The likely reason for holding the bidding for 2 World Cups simultaneously was that Blatter probably felt he might get a serious challenge in the next vote, so he wanted to make sure FIFA's coffers were full of money (and bribes) from bidding nations to ensure he had the wherewithal to buy support for his reelection. The worst part of it is, even when guys like Blatter's crony Jack Warner get caught red handed stealing from their own federation (Trinidad and Tobago in this case), not only does he refuse to pay back the millions he took, he keeps his job and gets elected to political office in T&T.

FIFA makes the NCAA look like child's play. If the NCAA were run like FIFA, the feds would have brought RICO charges against it and/or it's members.

Hoosier Red
04-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Agreed on all counts about the greed in FIFA.

But one thing I realized during the fears that South Africa wouldn't be able to adequately stage the World Cup last year. The United States may never be chosen as the host site again.

The fact that FIFA knows that staging the tournament on as little as 6 months notice is not a huge problem for the USSF. They did it when the Women's world cup was a no go in China as I recall.

In any event, I wonder if FIFA will always choose a riskier place to stage the game if given the opportunity, knowing they can come back to the United States if for whatever reason Qatar or whomever follows Qatar can't quite do it.

Slyder
04-22-2011, 12:00 AM
I don't know if England would go for it, considering their bigger beef is that they were told they'd get the 2018 World Cup and ended up losing to Russia. Since both are in UEFA, England stands to lose quite a bit if they buck their own confederation. To boycott the 2022 World Cup and have it be meaningful, you'd have to get UEFA and/or CONMEBOL on board. The US and Mexico could probably go it alone without CONCACAF, since CONCACAF is run by the same kind of greedy swindlers that resulted in Qatar getting the World Cup in the first place. However, without a power conference like UEFA or CONMEBOL, you won't see much happening.

The US and Mexico ARE CONCACAF. I mean when was the last time ANYONE else from the conferderation got to a World Cup? US and Mexico boycotting would be force enough without even having to go to the confederation.

Another option raised elsewhere, forcing Sepp Blatter out as FIFA head, probably won't do much either, since his primary competition for the job is, yep, you guessed it, a Qatari.

There's gotta be someone that would run against him.

I think the most likely scenarios that would cause Qatar to lose the World Cup would be 1) a major scandal comes to light, forcing FIFA to move the World Cup in order to save face and/or avoid legal consequences (it would probably have to rise to the level of considering FIFA a criminal organization); 2) political unrest in Qatar calls into question the ability to ensure the safety of visitors; or 3) the economics/practicality of building all those new stadia just doesn't work out, causing Qatar to give up as host.

With the way the middle east is right now your best shot would probably be #2 followed by #3. I just don't see how #1 can ever be really big enough to come to light.

Yachtzee
04-22-2011, 11:52 PM
The US and Mexico ARE CONCACAF. I mean when was the last time ANYONE else from the conferderation got to a World Cup? US and Mexico boycotting would be force enough without even having to go to the confederation.

The US and Mexico should be the power brokers of CONCACAF, but they are not. Because the Caribbean countries are numerous, yet have populations smaller than small US cities, Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago is able to use FIFA funds to pay off the Caribbean federations and maintain his contol. CONCACAF just changed the rules of World Cup Qualifying so that the US and Mexico will rarely play each other. Instead, they will be forced to play more games against weak Carribean island teams on woefully inadequate pitches. All to fatten the coffers of Warner's cronies.

There's gotta be someone that would run against him.

The two challengers at this time:
1. Mohammed bin Hamman - Qatari head of the Asian Confederation. Claims he wants transparency, but I think most pundits feel his regime would be just as corrupt as Blatter's.
2. Grant Wahl - writer for Sports Illustrated. Joke Candidacy. Needs nominated.

With the way the middle east is right now your best shot would probably be #2 followed by #3. I just don't see how #1 can ever be really big enough to come to light.

Slyder
04-23-2011, 02:33 PM
FIFA I think would pull the qualifying spots of CONCACAF if the US and Mexico were to boycott because no one else from the entire Federation means a darn thing and give Europe and So. America an extra entrant that year. CONCACAF representation without Mexico or US= Pointless. For some of the reasons you stated above.

Caveat Emperor
05-11-2011, 08:48 PM
The plot thickens further:
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6526493/fifa-asks-england-football-association-world-cup-bidding-corruption-evidence

Following Tuesday's allegations made during a British parliamentary inquiry, FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke wrote to England's Football Association asking for a complete report plus "all documentary evidence" from David Triesman, the former leader of England's 2018 bid.

Triesman told British lawmakers that four long-standing FIFA officials -- Jack Warner, Nicolas Leoz, Ricardo Teixeira and Worawi Makudi -- requested bribes in the 2018 bidding.

and, more interestingly:

British sports minister Hugh Robertson said he had discussed the possibility of England breaking away from FIFA, along with other countries.

"I have taken the temperature from other football associations around the world, particularly we did that in the wake of the 2018 bid," Robertson told the BBC. "At the moment there is a desire to try to work to change FIFA from the inside. If FIFA is unable to do that then I would say all options are possible."

reds1869
05-13-2011, 10:11 AM
The plot thickens further:
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6526493/fifa-asks-england-football-association-world-cup-bidding-corruption-evidence

and, more interestingly:

England can break FIFA if they so choose. There are nations more populous and more successful in the sport, but England is the heritage, heart and soul of the game. If England leaves I suspect most of Europe goes with them.

bucksfan2
05-13-2011, 10:17 AM
England can break FIFA if they so choose. There are nations more populous and more successful in the sport, but England is the heritage, heart and soul of the game. If England leaves I suspect most of Europe goes with them.

I think England would need help. You get England, Germany, Italy, and France together and they could potentially break FIFA. The problem I see is England decides to break away and the rest basically say "let em go, we don't need them." You get a couple of the major powers together and you will see a break or major reform.

reds1869
05-13-2011, 10:29 AM
I think England would need help. You get England, Germany, Italy, and France together and they could potentially break FIFA. The problem I see is England decides to break away and the rest basically say "let em go, we don't need them." You get a couple of the major powers together and you will see a break or major reform.

That's the thing, I think the major European powers would follow. They need English tourist dollars and don't want to do anything that would anger the English. My English friends are proud people who would pull every pence out of continental travel if they felt slighted, and mind you they travel a lot. Sport influences politics much more heavily there than it does here.

reds1869
05-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Well, well, well...FIFA may actually admit to corruption and make a logical decision for once. Fingers crossed!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/qatar-may-be-stripped-of-world-cup-says-blatter-2286520.html

BuckeyeRed27
05-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Well, well, well...FIFA may actually admit to corruption and make a logical decision for once. Fingers crossed!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/qatar-may-be-stripped-of-world-cup-says-blatter-2286520.html

There would need to be some really solid evidence for this to happen. As the article points out, this would be awful for FIFA. Although it would probably be good for the US.

Chip R
05-20-2011, 04:10 PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/qatar-may-be-stripped-of-world-cup-says-blatter-2286520.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/qatar-may-be-stripped-of-world-cup-says-blatter-2286520.html)

Wonder if that happens if those guys who were (allegedly) bribed by Qatar will keep their money?

Betterread
05-29-2011, 09:43 PM
It just gets worse for FIFA....

Blatter escapes, Bin Hammam bannedMay 29, 2011
Email Print By ESPNsoccernet staff

FIFA's ethics committee (editor: chaired by Sepp Blatter - Next up on the committee agenda: A roundtable discussion in search of a more appropriate committee name) has ruled that "no investigation is warranted'' against president Sepp Blatter in relation to bribery allegations, but Jack Warner and Mohamed Bin Hammam have been handed temporary suspensions.
FIFA president Sepp Blatter was accused but has been cleared of any wrongdoing
Both Warner and Bin Hammam have been suspended from all football-related activity pending the outcome of a full inquiry into accusations that they offered financial incentives to members of the Caribbean Football Union.
However, a complaint against FIFA president Blatter that he knew about the payments to officials was rejected by the committee.
Bin Hammam and Warner are accused of handing over bundles of cash, each of 40,000 US dollars, to Caribbean football officials and Petrus Damaseb, the Namibian judge presiding over the ethics committee, said there was enough evidence against them to justify them being suspended pending the full inquiry.

He told a news conference in Zurich: "Mr Bin Hammam is hereby provisionally banned from taking part in any football-related activity until FIFA's ethics committee take a decision on this matter, and the same decision for Mr Jack Warner.''
Two officials from the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), Debbie Minguell and Jason Sylvester, who were alleged to have handed over the money have also been suspended pending a full inquiry.
Blatter was accused by Bin Hammam of knowing about the payments and not reporting them but he told the ethics committee he had warned Warner that any such payments were not appropriate.
Damaseb said: "The committee took the view that the obligation to report did not arise because at that stage no wrongdoing had occurred.''
Blatter said in a statement: "The FIFA ethics committee has reached its decisions. I do not wish to comment in detail. But simply to say that I regret what has happened in the last few days and weeks. FIFA's image has suffered a great deal as a result, much to the disappointment of FIFA itself and all football fans.''
FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke also revealed that the presidential election will go ahead as planned on Wednesday, despite Bin Hammam withdrawing his candidature on Sunday.
Valcke said the presidential election would take place on June 1 as planned with Blatter as the only candidate, but that the FIFA Congress of 208 nations could decide to change this if there was a 75% majority.

Meanwhile, a report commissioned by the FA into ex-chairman Lord Triesman's allegations of impropriety by four FIFA members, including Warner, has found no meaningful evidence to back up the claims.

Triesman said the four had asked for cash or favours to support England's 2018 bid but evidence from other England officials had not supported these claims, with Valcke saying: "They are completely clean."

reds1869
05-29-2011, 11:33 PM
It amazes me that a committee chaired by Blatter is allowed to discuss the course of action on bribery allegations directed at Blatter. Sepp Blatter's FIFA gives Boss Cox's Cincinnati a run for its money.

Caveat Emperor
06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Good breakdown of the FIFA situation and the US's response (or lack thereof) on SI.com:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/grant_wahl/06/02/fifa.2022/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=hp_bn10

Such is life in world fútbol politics, where U.S. Soccer has held its nose (to say nothing of its tongue) and chosen a position not unlike that of Henry Kissinger and the Nixon administration in the 1970s: supporting a thoroughly distasteful strongman (Blatter) whose policies may well turn out to be in the U.S.' interest.

Chip R
06-22-2011, 04:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6692272/fifa-compelling-bribery-evidence-vs-mohamed-bin-hammam-jack-warner

BuckeyeRed27
06-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Unless they take the World Cup away from them it was probably all worth it.

Yachtzee
06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6692272/fifa-compelling-bribery-evidence-vs-mohamed-bin-hammam-jack-warner

You're a naughty one, Saucy Jack. You're a haughty one, Saucy Jack