PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn agrees to 4-year $56 million with White Sox

Vottomatic
12-02-2010, 05:30 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101202&content_id=16242468&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Discuss.

redsfanmia
12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Good luck with that.

Hondo
12-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Considering the White Sox DH's combined for 18 HR last year, it is a good move for the South Side and Ozzie Guillen...

I am happy for Adam Dunn. A guy who never got his due on this site.

Jack Burton
12-02-2010, 06:04 PM
I bet he'll hit near 40 hr's and drive in about 100. Bat about .220 and rack up about 200 so's. No?

redsfanmia
12-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Considering the White Sox DH's combined for 18 HR last year, it is a good move for the South Side and Ozzie Guillen...

I am happy for Adam Dunn. A guy who never got his due on this site.

Most people on this site love Dunn, as late as last season there were people wanting to bring him back.

Hondo
12-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I bet he'll hit near 40 hr's and drive in about 100. Bat about .220 and rack up about 200 so's. No?

See what I mean?

He hit .267 & .260 the last 2 seasons, far better than in Cincinnati. He will probably K 170-200 times a year too but will walk close to 100 times per year to keep his OBP in the 360-400 range...

I guess you guys wish he would "fly out" more than "stike out"

Kingspoint
12-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Well deserved congratulations to Dunn.

It's a perfect spot for him.

He should flourish there.

CWRed
12-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Well that's quite ignorant.

will5979
12-03-2010, 08:36 AM
While Adam Dunn was and always will be one of my favorite all time Reds I don't believe he would have fit in with this year's team. Jonny Gomes' attitude and clubhouse presence made up for his lack of Adam Dunn power and I truely believe without his astronomical surge in May and June the Reds would have never made the playoffs.

That being said at the time of the trade in 2008 I wished Adam could have been a lifelong Red but all of us knew that would never happen. I'm happy for him and hope he reaches HOF numbers by hitting over 600 career hrs. If he keeps jumping ship every few years his plaque in Cooperstown will look good with his Reds hat!

redsfanmia
12-03-2010, 10:03 AM
That being said at the time of the trade in 2008 I wished Adam could have been a lifelong Red but all of us knew that would never happen. I'm happy for him and hope he reaches HOF numbers by hitting over 600 career hrs. If he keeps jumping ship every few years his plaque in Cooperstown will look good with his Reds hat!

Dunn has made the All-Star team once and has not finished in the top 20 of the MVP vote. Unless he stays around and compiles 700 home runs I just can't see him making the HOF.

bounty37h
12-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Highest paid softball player ever?

Hey Meat
12-03-2010, 11:16 AM
I hope he does well. I like Adam Dunn. He is better suited to DH

Reds
12-03-2010, 05:08 PM
I believe that Dunn can succeed in Chicago, it has the potential to work well out for both him and the team.

Hondo
12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I believe that Dunn can succeed in Chicago, it has the potential to work well out for both him and the team.

Well at least you know what your getting. 35-40 Homers Guaranteed, close to 100 walks, 100 runs every year. Un like the Jason Bays of the world.

Wish he was still a Red just batting 6th or 7th and not the centerpiece of the offense.

Roush's socks
12-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Dunn has made the All-Star team once and has not finished in the top 20 of the MVP vote. Unless he stays around and compiles 700 home runs I just can't see him making the HOF.

Agree. I think is Dunn is underrated by some and overrated by others. IF he strings together a few really good years and Chicago, making the All-Star team, going to the playoffs, winning or almost winning an MVP, hitting .260+ while continuing to hit 40 HR's, and he winds up with 600+ homers, he could make the HOF. But he still has a lot of work to do, and right now he is missing several of the qualifications needed to get in.

arkimadee
12-03-2010, 10:47 PM
I truly believe the guy causes teams to have losing records. The White Sox have made a huge mistake. Adam Dunn has never been on a winning team (not all his fault.) Until he proves me wrong and is part of a team with a winning record I will believe he has some sort of losing mentality that spreads to an entire team.

Roush's socks
12-03-2010, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=arkimadee;2301924]I truly believe the guy causes teams to have losing records. The White Sox have made a huge mistake. Adam Dunn has never been on a winning team (not all his fault.) Until he proves me wrong and is part of a team with a winning record I will believe he has some sort of losing mentality that spreads to an entire team.[/QUOTE

In baseball teams do not have winning records because of one player. At most an elite player only adds 4-6 wins a season. So if the rest of the team is a 70 win team, one player is not going to get you over 81 wins.

On the other hand, chemistry is a factor and when one player is supposed to be a team leader, and they aren't, that can have an effect on the whole team. I think Dunn could have a lot of success on a good team. Remember, it is EASIER to hit and get good pitches to hit when you are surrounded by talent. On a crappy team they pitch around you.

arkimadee
12-03-2010, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=arkimadee;2301924]I truly believe the guy causes teams to have losing records. The White Sox have made a huge mistake. Adam Dunn has never been on a winning team (not all his fault.) Until he proves me wrong and is part of a team with a winning record I will believe he has some sort of losing mentality that spreads to an entire team.[/QUOTE

In baseball teams do not have winning records because of one player. At most an elite player only adds 4-6 wins a season. So if the rest of the team is a 70 win team, one player is not going to get you over 81 wins.

On the other hand, chemistry is a factor and when one player is supposed to be a team leader, and they aren't, that can have an effect on the whole team. I think Dunn could have a lot of success on a good team. Remember, it is EASIER to hit and get good pitches to hit when you are surrounded by talent. On a crappy team they pitch around you.
I guess my number 1 example is the year he got traded to Arizona. Arizona was like well in the pennant race when Dunn was acquired and totally tanked the rest of the season after they got him.

12-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Dunn's underrated, but there's no way he's making the Hall of Fame. They like all around players, not just hitters.

Roush's socks
12-03-2010, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=Roush's socks;2301926]
I guess my number 1 example is the year he got traded to Arizona. Arizona was like well in the pennant race when Dunn was acquired and totally tanked the rest of the season after they got him.

Dunn turned a lot of heads a couple of years ago in the World Baseball Clasic where he showed that he is an elite hitter who can perform in the clutch. I think that Arizona's problems had nothing to do with Dunn. Unless you believe that his "negative energy" rubs off on other players or something like that.