PDA

View Full Version : Ron Santo Passes Away

cumberlandreds
12-03-2010, 09:00 AM
I got this from SunDeck. Santo passed away last night at age 70.
Even though he was a cheerleader for the Cubs I kinda liked listening to him. When I was driving from DC after work many times I would be listening to the Cubs games on XM. You could tell he had a passion for the game and really enjoyed what he was doing. R.I.P Ron Santo

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5878406 (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5878406)

RFS62
12-03-2010, 09:00 AM
ESPN just reported that Ron Santo just passed away.

westofyou
12-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Whoa... RIP Ronnie

Unassisted
12-03-2010, 11:55 AM
He had battled diabetes for many years. In 2002, he had to have both legs amputated below the knee as part of that battle. As a broadcaster, he was the Cubs' version of Joe Nuxhall. Big loss for Cubs fans.

redsmetz
12-03-2010, 11:59 AM
What a shame he didn't live to see himself elected to the Hall of Fame. I know he's borderline, but there would have been no shame to his entry either.

camisadelgolf
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd like to echo what everyone else has said. Despite my strong dislike of the Cubs, I always rooted for Santo because he was so genuine. I also had a soft spot for him because he's a fellow diabetic, which makes everyday a struggle.

reds1869
12-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Very sad news. The Nuxhall comparison made by Unassisted is very true.

traderumor
12-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Turns out he is same age as my father. I am sure that listening to Cubs broadcasts will be less enjoyable. He was an unabashed homer announcer, which is why I chose to listen to his broadcasts. He lived and died with his team just like the fans who were listening to him. As the Cubs were being the Cubs, Santo's moans and groans were classic radio.

I'm sure Cubs fans are feeling like we did when Nuxie passed.

pedro
12-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Sad day in Wrigleyville.

No question in my mind that Santo deserves to be in HOF. Too bad he won't be alive to see it happen.

HokieRed
12-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Sad day. I always liked watching Santo, who's, in my view, along with his comp, Ken Boyer, long gone, the most obvious case of a guy who ought to be in the Hall (Blyleven's right there too).

RANDY IN INDY
12-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Loved Santo as a player. Sad day.

RedsBaron
12-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Sad day. I always liked watching Santo, who's, in my view, along with his comp, Ken Boyer, long gone, the most obvious case of a guy who ought to be in the Hall (Blyleven's right there too).

Yep. Ken Boyer and Ron Santo should both be in the Hall of Fame. The difference between the two was that Boyer passed away in 1982 before it began to become more obvious to knowledgable fans that he was worthy of the honor, whereas people have been advocating for Santo's induction into the Hall of Fame for two decades now.
It is a shame that Santo never lived long enough to see his admission into Cooperstown. If he now inducted in some future year, as he should be, it will be bitter sweet.

Spitball
12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
He was a very good player on some very poor teams. Really, after Ernie Banks, he was the face of the Cubs, even more than Billy Williams or Fergie Jenkins, in the 1960s. He was one of my most admired players. He will be missed.

mth123
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Sad day in Wrigleyville.

No question in my mind that Santo deserves to be in HOF. Too bad he won't be alive to see it happen.

Exactly. Its a real shame and if he does get in, it really won't mean much if he's not there to experience it.

top6
12-03-2010, 10:59 PM
This is sad news. Santo made listening to the Cubs fun. He was beloved in Chicago and - much like happened here when Joe passed away - many, many people there feel today like they lost a close friend.

As one of my Cub fan friends texted me today, if you are at any kind of event this weekend, you should try to guess the attendance in Ron's honor.

R.I.P.

crazybob60
12-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Sad day indeed. Condolences to Ron's family. RIP Ron.

RFS62
12-04-2010, 09:01 AM
This is sad news. Santo made listening to the Cubs fun. He was beloved in Chicago and - much like happened here when Joe passed away - many, many people there feel today like they lost a close friend.
R.I.P.

I think all of baseball lost a close friend

RIP Ron