PDA

View Full Version : Left fielder/leadoff hitter

Blitz Dorsey
12-03-2010, 11:27 PM
It's no secret the Reds' top priority this offseason is to find a leadoff hitter/LF ... even the usually tight-lipped Jocketty has said as much. Therefore, do you think the Reds will end up trading for one, finding one via free agency, or perhaps not finding one at all (at least not an everyday starter type that will get a lot of fans excited).

What say thee?

Barbarossa
12-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Believe it'l be a trade. One of the Red's young pitchers for a left handed hitting outfielder. A poster on another board had a interesting idea. A lot of ifs involved but here goes. The Rangers have five left handed hitting outfielders on their roster. One of them would be ideal, Julio Borbon. The reasoning being that "IF" the Rangers can't re-sign Lee they will be in the market for a pitcher. He suggested Bailey. Being Bailey's ;from Texas Nolan Ryan should jump all over it. ;)

Jpup
12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Anyone interested in Johnny Damon on a 1 year deal or even a 1 year with a mutual option?

mth123
12-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Anyone interested in Johnny Damon on a 1 year deal or even a 1 year with a mutual option?

Yes, but he'd need to drop below $4 Million for the Reds to get him IMO and I think he'll get more. He's exactly the kind of guy I'm thinking of when I say that the Reds should have passed on Ramon. If the Reds went cheaper behind the plate, they'd probably have the money to get him.

I think it'll be Gomes, Heisey and a scrap heap LH bat with Gomes getting most of the PT.

TheNext44
12-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Yes, but he'd need to drop below $4 Million for the Reds to get him IMO and I think he'll get more. He's exactly the kind of guy I'm thinking of when I say that the Reds should have passed on Ramon. If the Reds went cheaper behind the plate, they'd probably have the money to get him.

I think it'll be Gomes, Heisey and a scrap heap LH bat with Gomes getting most of the PT.

Damon had a big decline in power last season, and was even worse in the field than usual. He's more of a fourth outfielder/part time DH these days.

I'm not even sure he gets a $4M offer, but also not sure he's the best fit for the Reds.

mth123
12-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Damon had a big decline in power last season, and was even worse in the field than usual. He's more of a fourth outfielder/part time DH these days.

I'm not even sure he gets a $4M offer, but also not sure he's the best fit for the Reds.

His .355 OBP would be far better than anyone at the top of the Reds order. His power drop was predictable going from Yankee Stadium to Detroit. He'd probably get a litte boost on the NL and GABP. His defense sucks, but if he fills a major role on offense (lead-off) when all the other options are inadequate, it would solve at least one problem. Defense in LF is inadequate anyway. Damon getting on in front of Votto and Bruce is a strength a team can build a championship around. Even though they topped the NL in runs last year, the offense really wasn't a strength like that and the added potency of the combination would actually make a dent in the likely production drop we're going to see in multiple positions in 2011. I'm guessing that Damon in GABP and the NL Central would go .285/.370/.440/.810

I'm really hoping for Damon. I fear the alternative is Scott Podsednik and frankly, I'd rather just have Gomes than Pods.

TheNext44
12-04-2010, 02:25 PM
His .355 OBP would be far better than anyone at the top of the Reds order. His power drop was predictable going from Yankee Stadium to Detroit. He'd probably get a litte boost on the NL and GABP. His defense sucks, but if he fills a major role on offense (lead-off) when all the other options are inadequate, it would solve at least one problem. Defense in LF is inadequate anyway. Damon getting on in front of Votto and Bruce is a strength a team can build a championship around. Even though they topped the NL in runs last year, the offense really wasn't a strength like that and the added potency of the combination would actually make a dent in the likely production drop we're going to see in multiple positions in 2011. I'm guessing that Damon in GABP and the NL Central would go .285/.370/.440/.810

I'm really hoping for Damon. I fear the alternative is Scott Podsednik and frankly, I'd rather just have Gomes than Pods.

Offensively, he'd be a big upgrade for the Reds, I agree. But I'm not sure he can even play defense on a regular basis anymore. He reminds me of Griffey at the end when I see him in the field.

I' m not against the Reds signing him, but he would have his limitations.

mth123
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Offensively, he'd be a big upgrade for the Reds, I agree. But I'm not sure he can even play defense on a regular basis anymore. He reminds me of Griffey at the end when I see him in the field.

I' m not against the Reds signing him, but he would have his limitations.

He's not as bad as Griffey at the end. I've never seen an OF that bad. He's probably still better than Gomes.

Blitz Dorsey
12-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Wow, I hope the pessimists that voted in this poll are wrong. And I think they will be. Even Jocketty came out and said he was looking for a leadoff hitter/LF. I don't think he was referring to in-house options.

kpresidente
12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
What about Fred Lewis? Non-tendered by the Blue Jays. Should cost next-to-nothing. Decent OBP and he could platoon with Heisey. Kind of a more established Chris Dickerson. Might make sense if we really are up against payroll.

Mario-Rijo
12-18-2010, 02:32 PM
What about Fred Lewis? Non-tendered by the Blue Jays. Should cost next-to-nothing. Decent OBP and he could platoon with Heisey. Kind of a more established Chris Dickerson. Might make sense if we really are up against payroll.

Yeah I like Lewis as the 5th OF I can't see any downside.

OldXOhio
12-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Wow, I hope the pessimists that voted in this poll are wrong. And I think they will be. Even Jocketty came out and said he was looking for a leadoff hitter/LF. I don't think he was referring to in-house options.

Yes, but the poll refers to this offseason, not by the trade deadline.

REDREAD
12-21-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure I want to spend our last few dollars on Damon..
I'd pass, not sure he's that much of an upgrade from Gomes.

TheNext44
12-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Cross one more leadoff hitter off the list..

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/blue-jays-sign-corey-patterson.html

Spitball
12-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Cross one more leadoff hitter off the list..

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/12/blue-jays-sign-corey-patterson.html

Ha ha...ech!

Ron Madden
12-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com thinks it'll be Phillips or Stubbs leading off.

http://reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101221&content_id=16355912&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

Blitz Dorsey
12-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com thinks it'll be Phillips or Stubbs leading off.

http://reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101221&content_id=16355912&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

Someone please make it stop.

Blitz Dorsey
01-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Wow. A lot of people whiffed on this one. Only 4-of-49 voters said the Reds would sign a leadoff hitter/LF as a free agent. (I was one of the whiffers ... I voted the Reds would trade for one.)

kpresidente
01-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Wow. A lot of people whiffed on this one. Only 4-of-49 voters said the Reds would sign a leadoff hitter/LF as a free agent. (I was one of the whiffers ... I voted the Reds would trade for one.)

See post #10. :)

Blitz Dorsey
01-11-2011, 12:22 AM

What an awful idea. Hey buddy, how about you quit posting ridiculous ideas and leave the GM'ing to people who know what they're actually doing like Walt Jocketty. Like the Reds would ever sign Fred Lewis. I bet they've never even heard of him.

(Seriously though ... well played.)