PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez (tentatively) to the Red Sox.

texasdave
12-04-2010, 01:30 PM
The Padres and Red Sox have reached an agreement on players in a trade that would send superstar first baseman Adrian Gonzalez to Boston for four minor league prospects, and Boston now has a negotiating window to try to sign Gonzalez to a contract extension, sources confirm.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/04/adrian.gonzalez.red.sox/index.html#ixzz17AXWyT2F

Anyone familiar with minor leaguers want to comment on this deal? What type of prospects are these?

texasdave
12-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Here is a site with the Red Sox prospects. http://www.soxprospects.com/index.html

Casey Kelly is listed number one. Anthony Rizzo number three.

lonewolf371
12-04-2010, 01:47 PM
They're decent prospects but the Sox didn't exactly have a killer farm system. They'll get a lot more out of Adrian if they sign him long-term. He's perfect for the Sox and Fenway; I'd anticipate performance on par with or better than Teixeira down in New York.

Hondo
12-04-2010, 06:06 PM
They're decent prospects but the Sox didn't exactly have a killer farm system. They'll get a lot more out of Adrian if they sign him long-term. He's perfect for the Sox and Fenway; I'd anticipate performance on par with or better than Teixeira down in New York.

If Kelly pitches the way he is expected to pitch up to his potential and Rizzo develops into the Offensive Power hitter he is supposed to, this could be a great Trade for San Diego...

Although with Adrian being a San Diego guy and with the ethnic ties, bad marketing move for the franchise...

arkimadee
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
wow what a big trade. Kudos for the SOX for going out and actually pulling this off. It's a good move for San Diego because they wasn't going to be able to re sign him anyway. Might as well build on good pitching and young players if you are the Padres. This move has to have the Yankees and Rays getting awfully nervous though.

Vottomatic
12-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I wanted Gonzalez 2 years ago. Wanted to move Joey to LF to make room for him. Oh well.

12-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Padres would have gotten a lot more if they traded him last year, but they also wouldn't have had a winning record.

lonewolf371
12-05-2010, 11:14 AM
If Kelly pitches the way he is expected to pitch up to his potential and Rizzo develops into the Offensive Power hitter he is supposed to, this could be a great Trade for San Diego...

Although with Adrian being a San Diego guy and with the ethnic ties, bad marketing move for the franchise...
Yeah Kelly has pretty good potential and he's a great match for San Diego. Gonzalez will probably knock 50 out over the course of a season with half his games at Fenway, though, so I still feel that the Sox got more out of this trade than the Padres. But I also feel the Padres are better off than if they had sat on Gonzalez.

Hondo
12-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah Kelly has pretty good potential and he's a great match for San Diego. Gonzalez will probably knock 50 out over the course of a season with half his games at Fenway, though, so I still feel that the Sox got more out of this trade than the Padres. But I also feel the Padres are better off than if they had sat on Gonzalez.

It's just amazing More teams were't in on Gonzalez even for 1 year given his 5-6 Million Dollar Salary for next year.

Red Sox had an easy going I think with the ties to the San Diego front office with Jed Hoyer and company mostly from the Red Sox front office.

texasdave
12-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Looks like this trade is not going through after all.

The Red Sox were unable to complete a deal for Padres first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, SI.com has learned.

The Padres and Red Sox had previously reached an agreement on a trade that would have sent the All-Star to Boston for four minor league prospects. The Red Sox had a deadline until 2.p.m. ET today to sign Gonzlaez to a contract extension.Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/baseball/mlb/12/05/gonzalez.redsox.deal.off/index.html#ixzz17GlzVVN8