PDA

View Full Version : Drought over for Tiger?

MWM
12-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Tiger has a 4 shot lead heading into the final round of the Chevron World Challenge. He hasn't won yet, but I watched the entire round yesterday and I have seen Tiger look that good in years, even when he was still winning a couple of years ago. He was throwing darts with his irons, hitting the fairway with his driver, and making putts.

It will be interesting to see how well it holds up under Sunday pressure, but he looks like a different guy.

MWM
12-05-2010, 03:48 PM
This is turning into quite the duel between Tiger and McDowell. G-Mac gets three birdies in a row, then when it looks like he's going to get even, Tiger sinks a long putt for par. The next hole, same thing, but this one was an even tougher putt and Tiger nails it while McDowell had a tap in.

Now they've both stuck their approaches to the next hole. McDowell is giving him everything he can handle, but Tiger is still up by a shot.

Razor Shines
12-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I've only watched today and I think you're right about him being back. I hope so I like golf more when he's really good.

WMR
12-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Without Tiger, golf is a snoozefest for me (excluding Ryder Cup... always love that no matter who is playing). Hope he starts making things interesting again (on the course that is).

RFS62
12-05-2010, 05:10 PM
If Tiger is able to overcome that double bogey and still win this thing, he's back.

MWM
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Yeah, that double bogey was ugly.

Unfortunately, it looks like the old Tiger is back as far as his antics when he hits a bad shot, too. Grow up, Tiger. Stop acting like a spoiled child.

RFS62
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah, that double bogey was ugly.

Unfortunately, it looks like the old Tiger is back as far as his antics when he hits a bad shot, too. Grow up, Tiger. Stop acting like a spoiled child.

Nah, it's time for him to unleash his inner McEnroe.

He's got the beard now, it's doppleganger time.

He's a million times more interesting now than he ever was before.

And he's gonna kick butt with a furious vengance in the months to come.

MWM
12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Uh oh, Macdowell is in big trouble off the #17 tee and Tiger in good shape. Looking like it's going to go to #18 tied up, unless G-Mac pulls off a miracle.

As an aside, I really like Macdowell. He gets the most out of his ability and he has some real grit. He reminds me of Paddy Harrington.

MWM
12-05-2010, 05:45 PM

And he's gonna kick butt with a furious vengance in the months to come.

I think you're right about his butt kicking next year. But I certainly don't want to see his inner McEnroe.

Is that really you? Whatever happened to non-judgmental awareness? Or serenity now? Or letting go?

MWM
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Macdowell had to take an unplayable, so looks like Tiger will have a lead on the 18th tee.

I guess Tiger still hasn't lost his ability to make others rumble in his presence down the stretch. Macdowell has been the epitome of consistent in his play this year and this week. He's got a lead on Tiger with two holes to go and he doesn't just hit a poor shot, he hits an awful one that's going to make him lucky to walk away with a double. The Tiger effect is still strong it seems.

MWM
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Mcdowell with an unbelievable up and down to walk away with a bogey. Tied heading to #18.

RFS62
12-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about.

paintmered
12-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Tiger stakes his approach shot to three feet on 18.

Graeme pulls his shot and has 25 feet left.

paintmered
12-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Birdie for Graeme!

And Tiger answers. To 19 we go...

BuckeyeRed27
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
This is good stuff.

Golf is so much better with Tiger playing for the win.

RFS62
12-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Tiger has a lot of haters out there. Makes for great theater.

MWM
12-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah, this is awesome. I guess I was ahead of the facts on the Tiger effect on Macdowell. :) He looked him in the face and didn't flinch. I'm becoming a Macdowell fan pretty quickly, except his Ryder Cup moment makes it awfully difficult.

BuckeyeRed27
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Tiger has a lot of haters out there. Makes for great theater.

Based on that crowds reaction they are very firmly in Tigers corner.

paintmered
Graeme jars another one!

MWM
Holy crap, Macdowell made the putt again.

paintmered
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
And game over. Graeme wins it.

BuckeyeRed27
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Crap

Razor Shines
12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Wow, just saw the playoff on DVR. I hope McDowell and Tiger battle all year in '11.

paintmered
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
I hope someone emerges as a clear leader in '11. Two years ago, it looked like everything was there for Anthony Kim's taking with Tiger out with his knee injury. Now it's the Euros turn with Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Graeme McDowell. It's unfortunate we don't get to see them play each week on the PGA Tour.

Golf is uninteresting not because there's a lack of talent right now. Golf is uninteresting because there's nobody else out there that commands people's attention like Tiger does.

Today was a great reminder that golf makes for supremely great theater.

MWM
12-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I thought Tiger was great in his press conference afterwards. There were no sour grapes or "second place sucks" type of comments you usually see when he comes up short. He said he was proud of himself today even though he didn't win (something I never thought I'd hear him say), etc....

I also enjoyed watching McDowell's press conference. He's a good interview and a pretty good dude. I hope he continues next year where he left off.

kaldaniels
12-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Macdowell had to take an unplayable, so looks like Tiger will have a lead on the 18th tee.

I guess Tiger still hasn't lost his ability to make others rumble in his presence down the stretch. Macdowell has been the epitome of consistent in his play this year and this week. He's got a lead on Tiger with two holes to go and he doesn't just hit a poor shot, he hits an awful one that's going to make him lucky to walk away with a double. The Tiger effect is still strong it seems.

Terrible tee shot that you attribute to the Tiger effect.

What caused the soon-after 20 ft putt to drop though. Discussion in here has been silent on that.

Look, this was a nice final day of the tournament thanks to Tiger being involved. But let's not give the guy too much credit when ever an opponent hits a horrid shot.

kaldaniels
12-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I thought Tiger was great in his press conference afterwards. There were no sour grapes or "second place sucks" type of comments you usually see when he comes up short. He said he was proud of himself today even though he didn't win (something I never thought I'd hear him say), etc....

I also enjoyed watching McDowell's press conference. He's a good interview and a pretty good dude. I hope he continues next year where he left off.

Hopefully a great rivalry has begun.

MWM
12-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Look, this was a nice final day of the tournament thanks to Tiger being involved. But let's not give the guy too much credit when ever an opponent hits a horrid shot.

Yes, I said as much a few posts later.

When it happened, it had all the markings of what we've seen time and time again. Someone is paired up with Tiger in the final round and they wind up imploding down the stretch. McDowell had been playing consistently the entire tournament and all day Sunday. He missed some shots as is inevitable, but he comlpetely lost that one left in big trouble with 2 holes left and a lead.

I'd seen that movie before. But to his credit, he regrouped immediately, made a spectacular up and down followed by two straight birdies with everything on the line. Clearly he was not intimidated. But when it happened, it sure looked familiar.

kaldaniels
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
I think my cache was messed up when I typed that mwm...sorry.

MWM
12-06-2010, 12:49 PM
I think my cache was messed up when I typed that mwm...sorry.

I wasn't worried about it. You were right, guys like Tiger sometimes get too much credit for things.

I will say this, I think the Tiger effect is pretty much gone....... temporarily. If he goes on another one of his patented tears like in 2000-2001 or 2005-2006, it will probably resurface. But until then, I don't think players are scared like they used to be.

SunDeck
12-06-2010, 04:07 PM

Kind of like this guy.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_35L759gCLTI/TOvAjt9rviI/AAAAAAAACgY/hIXEEAEPluQ/s1600/superman3ws.jpg

Redhook
12-09-2010, 07:25 AM
I hope someone emerges as a clear leader in '11. Two years ago, it looked like everything was there for Anthony Kim's taking with Tiger out with his knee injury. Now it's the Euros turn with Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer, Lee Westwood and Graeme McDowell. It's unfortunate we don't get to see them play each week on the PGA Tour.

Golf is uninteresting not because there's a lack of talent right now. Golf is uninteresting because there's nobody else out there that commands people's attention like Tiger does.

Today was a great reminder that golf makes for supremely great theater.

Good post. And don't forget about Paul Casey, who is just as good as the other guys you mentioned. He just doesn't have a major, yet. Ian Poulter is awesome too.

There's way too much depth worldwide for just one guy to be Tiger's rival. I don't see it happening anytime soon. So many guys are just unbelievably good.

I do predict a huge year for Tiger next year. 8-10 wins and 2 majors. IMO, after watching the tournament last weekend, he's back. His swing isn't where he wants it yet, but it's already a million times better than it's been in the last 6 years with Hank. He's already getting it in play off the tee at a much higher percentage. Tiger is virtually unbeatable if he gets the ball in the fairway consistently. Freak miracles need to happen for him to get beat when that occurs. 2011 should be a very entertaining year for golf, unlike 2010.

kaldaniels
02-01-2011, 02:06 PM
Good article.

http://m.si.com/news/to/to/detail/3371850/2

Mobile site. Please correct if necessary.

RFS62
02-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Good article.

http://m.si.com/news/to/to/detail/3371850/2

Mobile site. Please correct if necessary.

I love Joe's writing. But I think he's got it wrong here.

Golf is different than any of the other sports he used as analogies. Losing a step finishes you in baseball, football, basketball... the sports in which hardly anyone stays competitive after 35 unless they're mutants or using PEDs.

Golf is much more mental. That's what Tiger has to get back. His mental edge. Everything else will fall in line if he gets his head right.

kaldaniels
02-03-2011, 12:26 AM
If anyone can have a career resurgence after all this, it is Tiger.

But what I think needs to be realized, is that the Tiger Slam occured a decade ago. Really...it has been 10 years. Tiger has won 2 majors in the past 50+ months. His knee is an issue. Age is an issue.

He's not gonna be a slouch, but today, I don't see him beating Jack's record of major wins. Just my opinion.

Oxblood
02-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Looks like Tiger tanked on the final day in Dubai, IIRC he had 3 bogeys and a dbl.

The bigger news right now is his spitting incident. Coming from a baseball background spitting is about as normal as you can get. I guess golf is looked at differently.

gonelong
02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Golf is much more mental. That's what Tiger has to get back. His mental edge. Everything else will fall in line if he gets his head right.

I really wonder if Tiger will be able to get that back. I think he had that mindset from a grade schooler until last year and I would think the break he took from golf shook him out of his routine.

I suspect it will be very difficult for him to attack both practice and the course in the same manner and with the same ferocity that he once did.

GL

SunDeck
02-15-2011, 01:28 PM
I really wonder if Tiger will be able to get that back. I think he had that mindset from a grade schooler until last year and I would think the break he took from golf shook him out of his routine.

I suspect it will be very difficult for him to attack both practice and the course in the same manner and with the same ferocity that he once did.

GL

Agreed, once a person actually starts to consider the ethical and moral implications of their actions, their world gets a little more complicated. So, I imagine him standing over a putt and all the sudden maybe his ex-wife shows up in the mind's eye blocking out the task at hand. Welcome to adulthood, Woodie.

BuckeyeRed27
02-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Lost in the first round on the first extra hole to Thomas Bjorn today at the Match Play. Won the 18th to force the tie and then shanked the drive on the next hole and couldn't recover.

paintmered
02-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Lost in the first round on the first extra hole to Thomas Bjorn today at the Match Play. Won the 18th to force the tie and then shanked the drive on the next hole and couldn't recover.

Hmm... Tiger is usually nails in singles match play. Those three Amateur titles and his Sunday Ryder Cup records don't lie.

Will Tiger ever find his mojo again?

kaldaniels
02-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Hmm... Tiger is usually nails in singles match play. Those three Amateur titles and his Sunday Ryder Cup records don't lie.

Will Tiger ever find his mojo again?

As I'm by no means an expert on the PGA Tour I have to ask....barring any health issues that may be holding him back....shouldn't Tiger be playing in every single tournament he can trying to get that mojo to reappear?

Redhook
02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
As I'm by no means an expert on the PGA Tour I have to ask....barring any health issues that may be holding him back....shouldn't Tiger be playing in every single tournament he can trying to get that mojo to reappear?

I think he should he play a few more tournaments than he's accustomed to, but playing in every tournament is too much for anybody.

Typically, pros play 3-4 weeks in a row, rarely no more, then take a week or two off. You have to remember that when these guys are playing 3-4 weeks in a row, it's everyday for those weeks with no time off or time at home. It's grueling and exhausting, more than you can imagine. Playing more than a few weeks in a row leads to burnout. Quickly.

I still fully believe Tiger will be fine and will win soon. His swing isn't where it needs to be yet, but it still looks much better to me than it did with the Haney slop. It's his short game, usually the best in the game, that is lacking due to neglecting it with his practice sessions. Once his short game regains best-in-the-world form, he'll win and win often.

kaldaniels
02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the great insight Redhook.

(I meant to write that I don't expect him to play EVERY week, but it seems as if he just isn't out there as much as he should be).

bucksfan2
02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I think he should he play a few more tournaments than he's accustomed to, but playing in every tournament is too much for anybody.

Typically, pros play 3-4 weeks in a row, rarely no more, then take a week or two off. You have to remember that when these guys are playing 3-4 weeks in a row, it's everyday for those weeks with no time off or time at home. It's grueling and exhausting, more than you can imagine. Playing more than a few weeks in a row leads to burnout. Quickly.

I still fully believe Tiger will be fine and will win soon. His swing isn't where it needs to be yet, but it still looks much better to me than it did with the Haney slop. It's his short game, usually the best in the game, that is lacking due to neglecting it with his practice sessions. Once his short game regains best-in-the-world form, he'll win and win often.

I always thought Tiger needed to play more. Not for himself though, more for the PGA. That said, Tiger playing in more tournaments could help him with his game.

He is also on the wrong side of father time. Tiger for the longest time relied on freakish athletic ability to pull off a lot of his shots. His swing was very violent if you think about it. He used his brute force to get himself out of danger quite often. There were times when a normal tour player would have to hit a wedge out of the rough and lay up from 180. Tiger would pull out an 8 iron and muscle it onto the green. He could hit a shorter iron from 200 yards when other guys were forced to drop down to longer irons. As Tiger ages and loses some of his physical abilities his game will suffer.

Tiger's mental game is lost right now. His confidence also seems lost. That is the most important part of your short game. Tiger for the longest time was the master of his domain, now he looks a little humbled. I just don't know if that unwavering swagger will ever come back. He is good enough to win tournaments now, but I doubt we ever see him back to the level he once was or even wants to be.

texasdave
02-24-2011, 11:24 AM
So does Tiger catch and surpass Jack now for most majors won? At one time it was a lock. Now I would imagine it's down to a coin flip.

Oxblood
02-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Wow, terrible shot on 19. I don't golf but I would guess that was mostly mental, no?

Chip R
05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Tiger withdrew after shooting 42 on the front 9 in the first round of The Players Championship because of a sore leg. His status may be in doubt for the Open and/or the Memorial.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=6532534

MWM
05-12-2011, 12:06 PM
His personal problems led to his short-term demise, but his knee might be what leads to the end of his golfing career. Brandel Chamblee was commenting last night on the Golf Channel that even on the range he looks like an old man and just can't really do the things he needs to do with his lower body to swing the golf club the right way because of his knee.

He went through complete reconstuctive surgery and it's less two years since he came back and it looks like it's back to where it was. We could be watching the end of the line for Tiger. Too bad, golf still needs him.

Sea Ray
05-12-2011, 01:34 PM
If I shot a 42 on the front nine nobody'd be asking if I was hurt. They'd be asking if I was cheatin'...

Chip R
05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
If I shot a 42 on the front nine nobody'd be asking if I was hurt. They'd be asking if I was cheatin'...

Ha! Same here.

It's a shame that Tiger is hurt. However, pro golf will survive without him just like it has survived without Hogan, Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus, Watson, Player, Norman and Trevino. Granted none of them - save for Palmer - caused quite the upsurge in popularity in pro golf like Tiger has. But I wonder if it was just that - a surge. Is that something that could be sustainable even after he would retire? Back in the 80s, the NBA had a surge in popularity. Sports fans now refer to the NBA in the 80s as the "good old days." The NBA is surviving quite nicely even though there may be a lockout but it may not have been realistic to expect it to have been as popular now and forevermore as it was in the 80s.

Even if Tiger had managed to stay healthy and hadn't got into the mess that he did with his marriage, perhaps people would have got tired of him. Let's face it, he's not exactly the most loquacious athlete - which is by choice. On the course he's very charismatic but before all this stuff about his affairs came out, a lot of people felt he was somewhat robotic in public. Perhaps viewership would have dropped instead of increased on the final day of a tournament when he was the leader. People may have felt, "Oh, you know he's going to win so why even watch?" We'll never know for sure but it's possible that could have happened.

texasdave
05-12-2011, 05:25 PM

I used to shoot 42 for nine regularly. Lake Gloria Par-Three. Good times.

Redhook
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Tiger's a mess right now. And I don't like it. I really miss watching the best play his best. Watching golf is just not the same without him. I hope he plays well soon, but it's looking highly unlikely right now.

bucksfan2
05-13-2011, 08:40 AM
If Tiger had shot 34 on the front think he would have continued to play? Heck he won the US Open playing on that tore up knee that needed massive surgery. Tiger is a mental mess right now and am beginning to question whether he will ever rise above it again.

MWM
05-13-2011, 08:58 AM
That's kind of an illogical question. If Tiger had shot a 34 on the front, it would have been because he wasn't hurt. So yeah, I guess he wouldn’t have quit. Everyone understands the problems he’s had mentally, but he darn near won the masters only a month ago. What could possibly have changed in that time frame from a mental standpoint to make him shoot 42 on 9 holes? THAT makes no sense.

Even in his struggles, he’s not been THIS bad… not even close. There’s just no way he could have been that bad without an injury. People are over-thinking this. He’s hurt, it’s obvious. The guys on the Golf Channel were saying he looked hurt on the range on Wednesday and Chamblee went as far as to predict Tiger wouldn’t make it to the weekend because of it. Mark O’Meara said Tiger was limping in the 9 holes they practiced together earlier in the week. The guy only played 9 holes of golf since the Masters and hit balls off the range once, both were this week.

Keep in mind that with all his very public struggles, he’s still only missed one or two cuts over that time frame. How many guys on the tour can say that? Not many. And take a wild guess who the only player to finish in the top 5 in 3 of the last 5 majors? That’s right, it’s Tiger Woods. The guy’s body is hurt. I think we may be watching the final demise of Tiger Woods, but not because his mind, but because his knee is hanging together by a string. What more can they do to it that they haven’t done already?

Chip R
05-13-2011, 09:31 AM
I know this probably wouldn't happen but, hypothetically speaking, if you were the commissioner of golf and you found out Tiger's leg problems aren't going to get any better would you consider letting him ride a cart if he requested to? Of course it would give him a competitive advantage but you could say, when healthy, he already has one. If he could play as well as he used to play while riding a cart it could mean a lot of money for the PGA.

dabvu2498
05-13-2011, 10:57 AM
I know this probably wouldn't happen but, hypothetically speaking, if you were the commissioner of golf and you found out Tiger's leg problems aren't going to get any better would you consider letting him ride a cart if he requested to? Of course it would give him a competitive advantage but you could say, when healthy, he already has one. If he could play as well as he used to play while riding a cart it could mean a lot of money for the PGA.

I may be reading Tiger dead wrong, but I don't think he would go for that, himself.

Chip R
05-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I may be reading Tiger dead wrong, but I don't think he would go for that, himself.

I don't think you are but let's say he would because in my scenario it's either golfing with a cart, walking and playing like he did yesterday (awful and in pain) or retiring.

MWM
05-13-2011, 01:15 PM
I agree with dabvu. I don't think Tiger would ever do it even in the scenario you lay out. I think he'd prefer to retire than to have any asterisk placed next to his accomplishments.

Besides, the walking isn't what's hurting him, it's his actual swing and the impact it has on his knee. A cart wouldn't fix that.

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Does anyone know how serious this injury is yet? From the sound of things he just tweaked it a bit and needs a couple weeks rest and he'll be ok. He just pushed it to hard coming back.

MWM
05-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know how serious this injury is yet? From the sound of things he just tweaked it a bit and needs a couple weeks rest and he'll be ok. He just pushed it to hard coming back.

That may be true, but it's the same knee he had reconstructed less than 3 years ago. He's had 4 surgeries on that same knee. That knee was also one of the primary factors behind his first swing change from when he was young. It's been an issue for a long time. The question is if his knee is just shot.

Sea Ray
05-13-2011, 03:18 PM
The problem with projecting greatness for athletes is you can't predict health. The problem when you get up there in age is that you don't heal as fast and some injuries may never heal to the point where you're never 100% to compete professionally. We are at that crossroads with Tiger. Personal problems aside, as he heads into his late 30s will he ever be Tiger Woods again physically?

juvey21
05-13-2011, 07:34 PM
The problem with projecting greatness for athletes is you can't predict health. The problem when you get up there in age is that you don't heal as fast and some injuries may never heal to the point where you're never 100% to compete professionally. We are at that crossroads with Tiger. Personal problems aside, as he heads into his late 30s will he ever be Tiger Woods again physically?

No doubt about it health is always an unpredictable factor in order to determine how great someone will become. IMO he's gonna need to take his time with this. It seems lingering. Im rooting for him though. Even though he let me down when all that news broke about him.

paintmered
05-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Yep, they went there.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll5d6uq7Di1qb7czso1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1305398778&Signature=3LVrwJqU2LafEgR4q0%2B2SabTfzk%3D

Razor Shines
05-15-2011, 02:40 PM
I didn't know where else to post this. But I really hope that Davis Love can somehow manage to win this thing. It's great to see him playing good golf. He was my favorite golfer before Tiger came along.

Redhook
05-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I didn't know where else to post this. But I really hope that Davis Love can somehow manage to win this thing. It's great to see him playing good golf. He was my favorite golfer before Tiger came along.

I'd like to see it too, but I'd be shocked if it happened. Davis usually finds a way a to lose. IMO, hands-down he's the biggest underachiever of our time. With his swing, one of my favorite's, and his overall talent, he should have many more wins and major championships.

Chip R
06-07-2011, 04:40 PM
He's gonna miss the U.S. Open.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-06-07/tiger-woods-announces-he-will-miss-us-open

Hoosier Red
06-07-2011, 05:33 PM
He's gonna miss the U.S. Open.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-06-07/tiger-woods-announces-he-will-miss-us-open

I wouldn't say he's missing it Bob.

Hoosier Red
06-07-2011, 05:35 PM

Also thought to myself, he's missing the U.S. Open which is the only proof that he aiming to play in it.

MWM
06-08-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm no doctor, but I've got to believe Tiger's knee is toast at this point. I think we have probably seen the end of the Tiger era, which is truly sad.

bucksfan2
06-08-2011, 08:45 AM
I'm no doctor, but I've got to believe Tiger's knee is toast at this point. I think we have probably seen the end of the Tiger era, which is truly sad.

Im not a Tiger fan nor a Tiger apologist. However I think the "knee is toast" is a little bit of hyperbole. To be honest Tiger played pretty well more recently in the Masters. His major performances haven't been poor, just not dominant like they used to be.

He may be showing signs of breaking down and age. His swing for the most part of his career was very violent yet powerful. That power enabled him to hit shots that no other pro could hit. I don't know if its necessarily his repaired knee that is the issue, more his body is aging and at can't handle the stress his swing once put on it.

I don't think Tiger will surpass Jack. Its just very difficult to win at a high level into your later years. I do think that Tiger can be competitive again but he will need to change his game a little bit. He no longer can hit the ball with the big boys on tour, and those young guys keep getting stronger and longer.

MWM
06-08-2011, 05:28 PM
You point to the fact that Tiger played well in the Masters and recently as evidence and then said its health that's breaking down. The truth is, Tiger was the best player in the Masters tee to green. He hit a few shots few people could hit under pressure. Then he hurt his knee again and he can't break 40. Given the fact that he's had 4 surgeries on this same knee include a full reconstruction, I'd say his knee being is by far the most probably explanation.

Tiger is in better shape than anyone on tour. His body is not breaking down at 35 years old in the sport of golf. His knee is shredded. It really is that simple. If Tiger's knee gets back to being OK, he'll be fine. If it doesn't, he's done.

texasdave
06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
You point to the fact that Tiger played well in the Masters and recently as evidence and then said its health that's breaking down. The truth is, Tiger was the best player in the Masters tee to green. He hit a few shots few people could hit under pressure. Then he hurt his knee again and he can't break 40. Given the fact that he's had 4 surgeries on this same knee include a full reconstruction, I'd say his knee being is by far the most probably explanation.

Tiger is in better shape than anyone on tour. His body is not breaking down at 35 years old in the sport of golf. His knee is shredded. It really is that simple. If Tiger's knee gets back to being OK, he'll be fine. If it doesn't, he's done.

Not being a golfer I would like to ask if that is a common ailment among golf pros? Or was there something about Tiger's swing that may have caused it?
I don't recall many linksmen having knee surgery but I don't follow it all that closely.
This is why it is kind of silly when an athlete is so young to say that he is going to break all-time records for this or that. Just way too many things can happen along the way.

Redhook
06-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Not being a golfer I would like to ask if that is a common ailment among golf pros? Or was there something about Tiger's swing that may have caused it?
I don't recall many linksmen having knee surgery but I don't follow it all that closely.
This is why it is kind of silly when an athlete is so young to say that he is going to break all-time records for this or that. Just way too many things can happen along the way.

Knee injuries are very uncommon in golf. Back and wrist injuries are the most common.

Tiger's knee has been bad for awhile. And I don't believe golf led to the knee being bad. Golf, however, has made it deteriorate much faster.

bucksfan2
06-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Being in shape as a 35 year old is much different than being in shape as a 25 year old. We see football players, basketball players, baseball players all start to break down as they age, yet Tiger is different? I don't doubt that his knee is an issue but I don't think its shredded like you say. I think ol father time is catching up to Tiger.

JaxRed
06-09-2011, 09:23 AM

I got that....

MWM
06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Being in shape as a 35 year old is much different than being in shape as a 25 year old. We see football players, basketball players, baseball players all start to break down as they age, yet Tiger is different? I don't doubt that his knee is an issue but I don't think its shredded like you say. I think ol father time is catching up to Tiger.

I don't think golfers are in the same universe as those other sports and what it does to the body. Many golfers come into their own in their 30s, and Phil Mickelson has been better after 35 than before. Look at what Vijay did in his 40s. Hell, Tom Watson was a bad chip away from winning a major championship when he was months away from 60 years old. There are countless examples.

Golf does have some impact on the body, but overall it's not something that will cause a body to break down. The most common physical ailment for golfers in back problems. A golf swing does place a lot of stress on the back over the years. But Tiger's body breaking down has ZERO to do with any of this. It's his knee. Abnd he saw this coming from the beginning of his career. Most people thought he was nuts to walk away from Butch and go through a swing change early in his career because he was so dominant. A big part of why he did it was because he knew his knee would not hold up if he continued to swing the way he was swinging.

Redhook
06-10-2011, 07:05 AM

Father Time typically really doesn't affect golfers until the early-mid forties. Comparing golf to the sports listed above as it affects the body is like comparing apples to oranges. Completely different. Tiger's issue is 100% knee-related (not counting his head issues....:D)

kaldaniels
07-10-2011, 10:36 PM
So what is tommorrow's announcement gonna be?

RiverRat13
07-10-2011, 10:50 PM

Shutting it down for the rest of '11?

Razor Shines
07-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Shutting it down for the rest of '11?

That'd be my guess.

Sea Ray
07-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Are you sure there'll be an announcement?

Steinberg told The Associated Press on Monday: "There's an erroneous report that he's making an announcement, but he's not."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-07-11/woods-agent-tiger-not-making-any-announcements?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl5%7Csec3_lnk3%7C218551#ixzz1Ro0mGXbN

Chip R
07-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Tiger has fired his caddie.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6788352/by-firing-steve-williams-tiger-woods-loses-last-link-success

Redhook
07-21-2011, 01:26 PM
This firing surprises me a bit. Apparently, Stevie had no idea either. Why wait so long? I don't feel sorry for Stevie because he's made millions with Tiger, but if this was going to happen it should've happened sooner.

Chip R
07-21-2011, 01:56 PM
This firing surprises me a bit. Apparently, Stevie had no idea either. Why wait so long? I don't feel sorry for Stevie because he's made millions with Tiger, but if this was going to happen it should've happened sooner.

Hard to know what goes on in the mind of Tiger. Ever since he withdrew from the TPC (?) he's been ambivilant on whether he is going to play in upcoming tournaments. He's probably thinking, "OK, I might play in the US Open so I'll need to have Stevie available for that one" and likewise for the British. If he said something like, "I'm not going to play again till the PGA" that would give Stevie an opportunity to caddie for other players in the meantime. Maybe he just got sick of the waiting and asked Tiger if it would be OK if he caddied for another pro. I'm guessing Tiger said it was OK but if he did caddie for someone else, don't expect to come back. And while I'm sure Stevie is doing OK financially he probably wants to caddie again because that's what he does and he doesn't get paid if he doesn't. He was probably tired of sitting at home waiting around to see what Tiger's next move would be.

Razor Shines
07-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Well from the article it sounds like it happened because he wanted to work for Adam Scott while Tiger was away. Surprised it happened two weeks ago and hasn't come out yet.

IslandRed
07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I like Reilly's take on it:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6790119/rick-reilly-tiger-woods-new-world

Redhook
07-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Great article and spot on. I loved it. Thanks for sharing.

dabvu2498
07-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Wow! Don't hold back, Rick.

MWM
07-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Looks like Tiger is coming back next week at Firestone. Not sure why, but this seems fishy to me.... I don't think it's going to last.

This will be the first time ever I won't be rooting for Tiger. Him firing Stevie was the last straw for me. I don't care if he never wins again, and kinda hope he doesn't.

Redhook
07-28-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm shocked that he'll be playing. Absolutely shocked. I thought he'd be done until his tournament in the offseason at Sherwood.

Tiger is certainly not making any new friends these days. He's really a first-class a******. You'd think he'd learn from this and show some humility. Maybe reach out to the one who stood by you and go the extra mile to show your gratitude for those who support you. Instead, he still acts like a pompous jerk. It's too bad really. He'll never get it.

All that being said, I still look forward to watching him play. Everytime. I love watching him play regardless of the result.

cincrazy
07-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Looks like Tiger is coming back next week at Firestone. Not sure why, but this seems fishy to me.... I don't think it's going to last.

This will be the first time ever I won't be rooting for Tiger. Him firing Stevie was the last straw for me. I don't care if he never wins again, and kinda hope he doesn't.

He showed an unbelievable lack of loyalty to Williams, I'll give you that. But I feel no pity for Stevie. That guy was every bit as classless as Tiger on the golf course. If Tiger really wants to remake his snarling image, getting rid of Williams can't hurt.

Sea Ray
08-01-2011, 09:40 AM

Has he hired a new caddy?

Stray
08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
His new caddy is a lifelong friend and someone who works in his organization (I believe). I'm not sure if that's a good move for him or not, but then again I'm not real sure how much input a caddy even has to a guy like Tiger.

I don't get why people would look down on Tiger for firing Williams, there's nothing wrong with moving on. It happens all of the time in golf, sometimes the relationship just runs its course and that is that.

Also, he's taken enough time away from the game because of his injury that I don't think he'd come back unless he was ready. He wouldn't sit out two majors and rush back for Firestone. It'll be interesting to see how he looks.

RFS62
08-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm shocked that he'll be playing. Absolutely shocked. I thought he'd be done until his tournament in the offseason at Sherwood.

Tiger is certainly not making any new friends these days. He's really a first-class a******. You'd think he'd learn from this and show some humility. Maybe reach out to the one who stood by you and go the extra mile to show your gratitude for those who support you. Instead, he still acts like a pompous jerk. It's too bad really. He'll never get it.

All that being said, I still look forward to watching him play. Everytime. I love watching him play regardless of the result.

I do too. I loved watching Barry Bonds when he had the most perfect stroke ever seen.

Tiger is finally interesting, not just a robot.

Redhook
08-06-2011, 06:51 PM
He's going to win next week.....

MWM
08-07-2011, 12:17 PM
You think? I just don't see it.

cincrazy
08-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Tiger is a shell of his former self. It's actually depressing to watch. Even worse than MJ on the Wizards, because at least MJ still had several games where he was still dominant. Tiger just looks like another golfer. He'll never be what he was. That doesn't mean he won't win more majors, but the days of Tiger owning golf are gone for good. His age and his injury history don't bode well for future dominance. And the national media continues to ignore that for the most part, waiting for the moment where he'll re-emerge. It's unlikely to happen, quite frankly.

MWM
08-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Am I the only one who loves the fact that Adam Scott won this week with Stevie on the bag? Worst case scenario for Tiger... must be killing him.

Redhook
08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Am I the only one who loves the fact that Adam Scott won this week with Stevie on the bag? Worst case scenario for Tiger... must be killing him.

I love it too. I think it's great. It's also going to spur Tiger on to win this week. :D

Razor Shines
08-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I love it too. I think it's great. It's also going to spur Tiger on to win this week. :D

That was my first thought as well.

WMR
08-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Tiger's caddy winning with Scott feels so karmically just.

kaldaniels
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
I suppose I will dissent and say Tiger doesn't win the PGA.

IslandRed
08-08-2011, 01:46 PM
He showed an unbelievable lack of loyalty to Williams, I'll give you that. But I feel no pity for Stevie. That guy was every bit as classless as Tiger on the golf course. If Tiger really wants to remake his snarling image, getting rid of Williams can't hurt.

Interesting that, in the aftermath of Scott's win and Williams giving interviews about how it was his best week ever etc., there are plenty of people within the game saying Tiger isn't the only one who needs to get over himself.

kaldaniels
08-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Interesting that, in the aftermath of Scott's win and Williams giving interviews about how it was his best week ever etc., there are plenty of people within the game saying Tiger isn't the only one who needs to get over himself.

Williams has definetely had an ego thru the years, but after what has transpired over the past few weeks, I don't blame him for taking a victory lap.

Homer Bailey
08-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Tiger can't drive the ball, and he's not putting well. I don't see him competing this week at all.

I like Luke Donald, Lucas Glover, and Rory this week.

MWM
08-08-2011, 03:36 PM

I agree. This isn't an either-or. Both guys have handled the situation like children.

Like I said before, Tiger firing Stevie was the last straw for me. It changed my perception of Tiger completely. And that's not because I thought Stevie was some great human being as much as he was totally loyal and was then just dropped suddenly because Tiger's ego. So it was cool to see his player win the week Tiger comes back. But Stevie definitely needs to get over himself. His behavior is reflecting very poorly on him and I doubt Scott will want it to continue.

Hoosier Red
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I agree. This isn't an either-or. Both guys have handled the situation like children.

Like I said before, Tiger firing Stevie was the last straw for me. It changed my perception of Tiger completely. And that's not because I thought Stevie was some great human being as much as he was totally loyal and was then just dropped suddenly because Tiger's ego. So it was cool to see his player win the week Tiger comes back. But Stevie definitely needs to get over himself. His behavior is reflecting very poorly on him and I doubt Scott will want it to continue.

I agree. One one hand, Tiger pretty much hung Stevie out to dry by playing so sparingly and at times poorly over the last two years. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Stevie could retire today and just on the basis of his years with Tiger be the richest caddy in history.

Also "The greatest win of my career" is so petty. Your golfer won a tournament, he's won a few before you and he'll likely win more. It wasn't a major. It didn't do anything for him more than the Accenture Match Play did for Luke Donald or the Doral Championship did for Nick Watney.

No one remembers the WGC champions 5 years down the road.

I'm trying to think of an equivalent, and it's essentially like Tony LaRussa saying that winning 3 straight from the Reds last August were the greatest wins of his career.

Redhook
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM
This is the year of surprises so I'm guessing another guy will come out of relatively nowhere and win.

I'd like to see Tiger, Rory, or Rickie win if I had my choice.

Stray
08-09-2011, 10:21 AM
I still don't see how Tiger firing Williams is wrong. Steve had it about as good as you can have it for a caddie because of Tiger. He became rich and famous because of Tiger. Pro golfers have always fired caddies, but I've never heard of another golfer taking heat for doing so.

Williams has always had a reputation for being rude to fans/reporters/golfers on the course, and I think that kinda made him a good fit for Tiger since Tiger was no saint out there, but if Tiger is really trying to get away from that reputation (time will tell) then it would make sense for him to go in a different direction. Either way, he doesn't need a reason...sometimes you want to move on to someone else, and that is really all that should ever have to be said. Steve wasn't struggling to feed his family while Tiger was injured and not playing, he's living well and was actually working for another golfer on the side.

The way Steve handled this past week should only make Tiger feel a little better about his decision to cut him loose. He acted like a 16 year old girl that got dumped before the prom. Someone should remind him he's a caddie and not the guy hitting the shots. Golf needs Tiger to get back...I just hope Williams being an idiot pisses him off and can get him going again.

Oh and for this week, I just hope an American wins. We need it.

bucksfan2
08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Stevie's arrogance is only exceeded by Tiger's. I never liked Stevie. I never liked his antics. I never liked how on the 18th hole of every tournament his caddy uni was off and his advertisement was on display. I never liked how Stevie thought he was bigger than the game as a freakin Caddy.

That said he is a damn good Caddy. If I am Adam Scott I am seriously debating as to whether to keep him on the bag or not. Scott won the tournament yet Stevie is getting all the buzz. I don't think I would like that as a golfer.

Razor Shines
08-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I've heard more than one radio host describe Tiger's firing of Stevie as akin to a dude breaking up with a longtime girlfriend over text message. Huh?? Tiger flew into the tournament and had a conversation with Stevie, he did it face to face.

I don't see what Stevie has to cry about. He says he sat around a waited for Tiger there last two years.....yeah like he was doing a favor to Tiger. No caddy would voluntarily give up their Tiger lottery ticket if they were lucky enough to get it, no matter how long they had to wait for him. He made fat cash for 12 years and then immediately got a gig with another top golfer. Poor Stevie.

reds44
08-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Am I the only one that heard Tiget fired Williams because Williams was talking to Tiger's ex after they divorced? Isn't that man code violation one? Not sure what Tiger has done wrong when it comes to Williams.

BuckeyeRed27
08-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Am I the only one that heard Tiget fired Williams because Williams was talking to Tiger's ex after they divorced? Isn't that man code violation one? Not sure what Tiger has done wrong when it comes to Williams.

I'd have to check the BroCode, but that certainly sounds like a violation.

Homer Bailey
08-10-2011, 10:25 AM
I've heard more than one radio host describe Tiger's firing of Stevie as akin to a dude breaking up with a longtime girlfriend over text message. Huh?? Tiger flew into the tournament and had a conversation with Stevie, he did it face to face.

I don't see what Stevie has to cry about. He says he sat around a waited for Tiger there last two years.....yeah like he was doing a favor to Tiger. No caddy would voluntarily give up their Tiger lottery ticket if they were lucky enough to get it, no matter how long they had to wait for him. He made fat cash for 12 years and then immediately got a gig with another top golfer. Poor Stevie.

Steve said the original conversation happened over the phone.

dabvu2498
08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Williams apologized today, but not to Tiger. This is like some junior high stuff.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6849575/steve-williams-apologizes-failing-credit-adam-scott-interview

Razor Shines
08-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Steve said the original conversation happened over the phone.

Hmmm...that's interesting. Tiger definitely said it was face to face. Maybe that was just the official part.

Stray
08-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Tiger didn't say a lot but he did take the high road. He just said he sent him a text congratulating him on the win and that he was happy for him and Scott.

RANDY IN INDY
08-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Tiger is a mere shell of himself right now. 77, ouch.

Chip R
08-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Golfers fire caddies all the time and it doesn't make news. But since this is Tiger Woods, it's a huge thing because whatever he does is huge. I don't know if anyone but a handful of people know why Tiger fired Stevie. But whatever the reason, the media made a bigger thing out of it than they should have. Stevie was partly to blame as well for his comments. But instead of Scott being the story on Monday, it was the caddy. Since when is the caddy the story?

Redhook
08-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Tiger is a mere shell of himself right now. 77, ouch.

But he was leading at one point in time. ;)

I was really hoping this week would turn things around for him on the course. I'm not sure what to think about his game. I know it stinks and it's pretty clear he's nowhere close to where he needs to be. For the first time, I'm thinking he might not get back to the top. I finally have a little doubt.

bucksfan2
08-12-2011, 08:32 AM
But he was leading at one point in time. ;)

I was really hoping this week would turn things around for him on the course. I'm not sure what to think about his game. I know it stinks and it's pretty clear he's nowhere close to where he needs to be. For the first time, I'm thinking he might not get back to the top. I finally have a little doubt.

Mentally he isn't there. He was the most mentally tough guy I have ever seen play. Jack and Arnie and Bobby and Sam and Ben probably were as tough mentally but they I never saw them play at a high level. Until he gets his head back in the game I don't think he becomes a contender in any tournaments.

Harvey Pennick said in one of his books 'good players don't lose their swing from one hole to the next'. Tiger didn't lose his swing he lost his edge. He lost the mental game. He let one double bogey spiral out of control. He let a -3 start turn into a +7 finish. Its kind of sad seeing him play the way he is. But there are also a nice group of exciting young players right now.

MWM
08-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Tiger just isn't Tiger anymore and I'm not talking about his game. The guy's demeanor is just miserable, in interviews, on the course, etc.... He just looks like an incredibly unhappy person and I don't think its relating to his game. I'm sure that doesn't help matters, but there's just something off with Tiger the person. It's so obvious too. His head just isn't with golf anymore it seems. Who knows!

texasdave
10-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Tiger back in action today. First-round 73. Six shots off the lead.

Redhook
10-06-2011, 10:55 PM
That was painful to watch. Tiger stunk. He just got his butt kicked by a 19 year-old who looks like he's 12. Cantlay is so much better than Tiger right now in every facet of the game. That's really hard to believe, but I watched it with my own two eyes.

I really keep holding out hope that the Tiger of old will reappear someday soon. That day is turning into a pipe dream.

Homer Bailey
10-07-2011, 12:08 AM
That was painful to watch. Tiger stunk. He just got his butt kicked by a 19 year-old who looks like he's 12. Cantlay is so much better than Tiger right now in every facet of the game. That's really hard to believe, but I watched it with my own two eyes.

I really keep holding out hope that the Tiger of old will reappear someday soon. That day is turning into a pipe dream.

His swing looks awful, and his putter (what really set him apart during his peak), has lost its magic.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Sean Foley. I'm not a fan of Tiger's current swing, and I've never been a fan of Hunter Mahan's swing either. I think he needs to go back to Hank or Butch, but given his stubbornness, I don't see any way that happens.

Redhook
10-07-2011, 07:16 AM
His swing looks awful, and his putter (what really set him apart during his peak), has lost its magic.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Sean Foley. I'm not a fan of Tiger's current swing, and I've never been a fan of Hunter Mahan's swing either. I think he needs to go back to Hank or Butch, but given his stubbornness, I don't see any way that happens.

I've watched a video of Sean Foley and have read some of his articles. Sharp guy and a very good instructor. But, not the right guy for Tiger. This swinging/rehearsing left for Tiger is terrible. Big pulls and slices. It's been that way for years, he's just doing it little differently than how he was doing it with Hank.

I have never been much of a fan of Hunter's swing. To me, it just looks like he's going to hit it way right sometimes. That being said, Hunter is a great ballstriker and probably would be with any instructor.

Tiger needs to stay far, far away from Hank. Hank destroyed Tiger's swing. Butch would be a huge upgrade over the other two, but that ain't happenin'!

Last night, they compared his swing with the 3 instructors and it was mind-boggling how much better Tiger's swing was in 2000 compared to '09 and now. What a mess it is!

Homer Bailey
10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I've watched a video of Sean Foley and have read some of his articles. Sharp guy and a very good instructor. But, not the right guy for Tiger. This swinging/rehearsing left for Tiger is terrible. Big pulls and slices. It's been that way for years, he's just doing it little differently than how he was doing it with Hank.

I have never been much of a fan of Hunter's swing. To me, it just looks like he's going to hit it way right sometimes. That being said, Hunter is a great ballstriker and probably would be with any instructor.

Tiger needs to stay far, far away from Hank. Hank destroyed Tiger's swing. Butch would be a huge upgrade over the other two, but that ain't happenin'!

Last night, they compared his swing with the 3 instructors and it was mind-boggling how much better Tiger's swing was in 2000 compared to '09 and now. What a mess it is!

When did he switch from Butch to Hank?

And how much of his swing change do you think is because of the knee? Are they necessary changes to shift weight off of the knee?

bucksfan2
10-07-2011, 11:57 AM
nm

texasdave
10-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Tiger bounces back with a 68. He will play on the weekend.

Redhook
10-07-2011, 09:57 PM
When did he switch from Butch to Hank?

And how much of his swing change do you think is because of the knee? Are they necessary changes to shift weight off of the knee?

I think he switched in 2005. Tiger was with Butch for 10 years and Hank for 5 or 6. Tiger switched because he felt he learned all he could from Butch. Ignorant and arrogant young Tiger was.

I don't think he switched to Hank because of the knee. Butch could've adjusted Tiger's swing if needed to alleviate the stress on the knee. Remember, Butch is to a college professor as Hank is to a 1st grader. That's how much of a gap is between the two. Anything Hank can do, Butch has already done a lot better.

As you can clearly tell, I'm not a fan of Hank Haney's swing method. It's so bad. It'll take a long time for Tiger to get back to a halfway decent swing.

Redhook
10-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Tiger bounces back with a 68. He will play on the weekend.

Good to see. I'm looking forward to watching him again on Sunday. He looked terrible yesterday, but it was still very intriguing to watch him play. I didn't watch today. He looks like he's working so hard to hit the ball. I think he's hitting about 25% of the fairways. That tells me he has no clue where the ball is going and he has no chance to win when doing that.

MWM
10-08-2011, 06:28 PM
What is it about Foley's technique that you don't like, Redhook?

Redhook
10-08-2011, 09:55 PM
What is it about Foley's technique that you don't like, Redhook?

It's not that I dislike Foley's technique, I just don't think it's quite right for Tiger. He's better than Haney, but Tiger seems very unnatural swinging the way either guy wants him too.

Tiger's fighting how his body wants to swing. He wants to release it, but they're trying to get him to swing left with his body and arms so his hands don't flip it. Tiger struggles playing this way. Always has and always will. He plays his best when he's square to slightly closed at address and hits his stinger draws off the tee. With both Haney and Foley, his feet aim straight or right at address and his shoulders open (with the driver). This causes big pull hooks and block slices. It boggles my mind that he's still setting up to hit those shots.

On the positive, I did see Tiger make some really good 3 wood swings today. Coincidentally, his shoulders were square and he hit the low draw. That's his shot. I'm not sure why he doesn't hit it all the time. Watch tomorrow and you'll see what I'm talking about with his setup. Open shoulders for Tiger equals very bad shots.

texasdave
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Tiger finishes with 3 straight 68s. That still left him 10 off the lead. 68 used to be a very good number but not so much anymore. Seems like you really have to go low to win on the tour, aside from the Majors. In any case 68s are better than 70-somethings. So maybe Tiger is on the right track.
Here is an odd story from the tournament.

A 31-year-old fan from Santa Rosa ducked under the gallery ropes surrounding the seventh green, yelled out Tiger Woods's name and threw a hot dog at the former No. 1 player in the world in the final round of the Frys.com Open at CordeValle on Sunday.

Read more: http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2011/10/fan-throws-hot-dog-at-tiger-woods.html#ixzz1aOTiIP5A

MWM
11-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Tiger in the lead after the second round at the Australia Open. This was where his last victory was 2 years ago.

texasdave
11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Third round blues for Tiger.

Woods wound up with a 3-over 75, going from a one-shot lead to six shots behind John Senden going into the final round.

Tiger of old would shoot about 62 or 63 to take the title. Looking forward to seeing how he responds.

Homer Bailey
11-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Watched a decent amount of his Saturday round. His putting was probably the worst I'd ever seen from him. Usually when he misses, he lips out hard. He wasn't even brushing the cup with his putts yesterday.

MWM
11-12-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm so over Tiger. He acts like an absolute child every time he hits a had shot. Grow up already ya big baby. I really don't mind bad language at all. It's not the words he's using but the attitude. Everyone struggles, everyone hits awful shots. Yes, some even express anger from time to time, but with Tiger it's every time and his actions are so immature it's tough to watch. I can't imagine playing with him.

SunDeck
11-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm so over Tiger. He acts like an absolute child every time he hits a had shot. Grow up already ya big baby. I really don't mind bad language at all. It's not the words he's using but the attitude. Everyone struggles, everyone hits awful shots. Yes, some even express anger from time to time, but with Tiger it's every time and his actions are so immature it's tough to watch. I can't imagine playing with him.

I've always disliked that too. Especially with his putting, he acts like one that lips out is due to something other than his own shot. The ironic thing about him is that he always seems to give pretty forthright and professional interviews after a round.

texasdave
11-13-2011, 09:47 AM
When looking back on the 2011 Australian Open, Tiger Woods will likely lament a third-round hiccup. Three rounds in the 60s could've been enough for Woods to win the tournament, but it was a third-round 75 that dashed his hopes of getting back to his winning ways. The hole was too great for Woods to dig out of, even with a strong showing in the final round.

Shot a final round of 67. Left him two strokes back. Encouraging nonetheless.

Homer Bailey
11-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Shot a final round of 67. Left him two strokes back. Encouraging nonetheless.

He looked like he had a little bit of that swagger back last night. If he could have made that eagle putt on 17, he might of had a chance at winning. I still don't trust his putter, and he still doesn't have great command with the driver, but he was puring his irons pretty much all week. I'm much more hopeful that he'll make his way back now than I was a month ago. Still not crazy about the new swing, but he at least seems a lot more confident in it.

RFS62
11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Don't bet against it

Redhook
11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
I watched a lot of this tournament. Tiger looked a lot better this week than he did a few weeks back. His swing looks better and he's finally hitting some draws. His driving still isn't great and never will be. He's never been a great driver of the ball, but it should be a little better than it currently is.

The positives are is iron play is still strong and his short game was good again this week.

On the flip side, his putting is atrocious for his standards. He was so defensive. I'm surprised how many putts he left short or that barely crept up to the hole. He used to miss 2-3 feet past the hole, now it's barely to the hole. That, to me, shows me he has very little confidence in his putting. And that was what separated him in tournaments, his solid putting. I believe he'll putt well again. I just don't know when.

All in all, Tiger played a lot better than I thought he would down there. IMO, he needs to play a lot more than he's used to get his game back to an elite level.

texasdave
11-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Tiger Woods made the first move, reaching out to shake hands with his ex-caddie, that went a long way toward dousing the endless chatter over their acrimonious breakup.
Twelve holes later, as short a Presidents Cup match that has ever been played, Steve Williams had the last laugh.
In the 112 matches of various formats that Woods has played in his professional career, he never had a loss like this one. Playing again with Steve Stricker, an American tandem that was unbeatable two years ago, they didn't win a hole and didn't make a birdie in tying the Presidents Cup record for the worst loss ever, 7 and 6.
Adam Scott - with Williams on his bag, kept his distance from Woods until they shook hands on the 12th green - and K.J. Choi rarely missed a shot in piling up pars and more than enough birdies. The foursomes match ended with Scott rolling in a 25-foot birdie putt on the 11th, and stuffing his approach into 10 feet for Choi's birdie on their final hole.

Ouch.

Redhook
11-21-2011, 05:59 PM
I really enjoyed watching Tiger's progress this week in the President's Cup. His ball-striking seemed to get better each day. He hit it really good for the most part. He was hitting a lot of stingers and draws, his old go-to shots. His putting was suspect until the last round, but it definitely has not completely gone away.

All in all, I thought Tiger looked great compared to how he's looked in the past two years. I'm actually very surprised he looked this good so soon after how bad he looked in the Frys.com. If he plays this good next year, he'll win quite a few tournaments. Once he wins one, watch out. This is a great news for the game of golf.

Homer Bailey
11-22-2011, 09:46 AM
I really enjoyed watching Tiger's progress this week in the President's Cup. His ball-striking seemed to get better each day. He hit it really good for the most part. He was hitting a lot of stingers and draws, his old go-to shots. His putting was suspect until the last round, but it definitely has not completely gone away.

All in all, I thought Tiger looked great compared to how he's looked in the past two years. I'm actually very surprised he looked this good so soon after how bad he looked in the Frys.com. If he plays this good next year, he'll win quite a few tournaments. Once he wins one, watch out. This is a great news for the game of golf.

I agree to a certain extent. His iron play was flawless. However, he still worries the heck out of me off the tee. He didn't have to hit very many drivers at Royal Melbourne, and when he did, he wasn't very good with it (going off of what I saw, I don't have numbers in front of me). I know you've noted he's never been a great driver of the golf ball, but he still seems way less accurate now off the tee than he was several years ago.

He did play very well throughout the Cup, his numbers just didn't show it because he couldn't putt until that final day. I'm excited to see how far he can rise next year. At minimum, it will be exciting to at least have the threat of him.

Redhook
11-23-2011, 07:22 AM
He didn't have to hit very many drivers at Royal Melbourne, and when he did, he wasn't very good with it (going off of what I saw, I don't have numbers in front of me). I know you've noted he's never been a great driver of the golf ball, but he still seems way less accurate now off the tee than he was several years ago.

You're right, he didn't hit many drivers at RM. It worries me too a bit, but it is getting better. It was better than it was the previous week.

With his 3w and 2 iron stinger shots, flawless iron play, and great short game he can get away with a few poor tee shots. He needs to avoid the off-the-planet shots that cost him big numbers. If he can hit about half the fairways with his driver and keep the others on the course, he'll play great next year.

MWM
11-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Tiger's never been a good driver of the golf ball. He's always been erratic with that club.

texasdave
11-23-2011, 03:52 PM
There are bad holes, and there are atrocities. At this year's Australian Open, John Daly experienced one of the latter. He hit seven consecutive shots into the water on the 11th hole before storming off the course and drawing the ire of tournament officials. After his round -- or lack thereof -- Daly tweeted, "when u run out of balls u run out of balls."'

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1111/2011-turkeys-of-the-year/content.3.html#ixzz1eZ1O2K31

Just curious what Redhook would think about this. If a pro is in a tournament wouldn't they carry more than 7 golf balls in their bag? Sounds like a weak excuse to me but maybe it's true.

Redhook
11-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1111/2011-turkeys-of-the-year/content.3.html#ixzz1eZ1O2K31

Just curious what Redhook would think about this. If a pro is in a tournament wouldn't they carry more than 7 golf balls in their bag? Sounds like a weak excuse to me but maybe it's true.

Very weak excuse. If John Daly had 50 balls in his bag that day, he would've attempted to hit all 50 into that lake. I'm guessing officials would've interrupted him after hit 25 consecutive balls in the water.

John Daly quits often. Too often. In this case, he was upset from a previous ruling and let it carry over. He then proceeded to hit all his balls into the lake on purpose. The fact that he only had 7 balls in his bag just sped up the process.

When I play tournaments, I usually carry 9-12 balls in my bag. I'll have 6-9 new ones and 3-6 used balls I use for pre-round chipping. Then, when I practice during the week, I'll continue to use those balls until they're toast.

I've never ran out of balls in a tournament and, while I've lost my fair share of balls, I don't think I've been close. If I ever did get to my last ball, I'd play conservatively just to finish my round. Then, if I lost that ball, I'd ask for a ball from one of my playing partners. This would involve a penalty, but at that point, I'm guessing my score would already be super-high so an extra shot or two wouldn't really matter.

MWM
12-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Looking interesting so far. This could be the week. I'm still not convinced.

texasdave
12-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Does this count as an official PGA tour event? I am pretty certain Tiger doesn't care or not if it does. But there are only 18 golfers in the field - none of the top 7 in the world rankings. How did they choose which 18 would compete? It seems like a fairly solid field though. And a win is a win. I suppose that is the bottom line.

Redhook
12-04-2011, 08:37 AM
It's not an official PGA Tour event; however, I think their are ranking points available.

A win, any win, would be big for Tiger. --Overall, I think Tiger's game looks very strong, much stronger than I thought it would right now. I don't know if he'll win today, but if he hits it like this next year he'll win multiple times. He seems to have that look in his eye again. I'm expecting a thrilling victory from him today.

Redhook
12-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Looking interesting so far. This could be the week. I'm still not convinced.

I'm convinced. His game hasn't looked this good in over 2 years. He hitting his driver pretty good too and that course is tight, especially with the wind.

Golf is just so much more interesting when Tiger plays well. He may be a jerk off the course, but he's still the most intriguing on it.

RFS62
12-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm convinced. His game hasn't looked this good in over 2 years. He hitting his driver pretty good too and that course is tight, especially with the wind.

Golf is just so much more interesting when Tiger plays well. He may be a jerk off the course, but he's still the most intriguing on it.

Yep. I never really believed he was done. The only thing that made me consider that was his knee.

But he has re-invented himself time and time again throughout his career. He'll do it again, and he'll be number 1 again, I believe.

And he himself, for all his flaws, is the most interesting story in golf by far. The fallen hero, it's classic stuff.

No longer an invincable robot, now a tragic figure, victim of his own excesses.

Totally Shakespearean.

Stray
12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
1 shot lead over Zach Johnson going to the 13th.

MWM
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Tiger now down 1 heading to 17. He's looking better than he did, but this is still not the same guy we used to see. It still doesn't even seem that close to me.

Stray
12-04-2011, 05:52 PM
All tied up on the 72nd, both players in the fairway. Should be a good ending.

MWM
12-04-2011, 06:05 PM
I guess a win is a win, even if it's just a field of 18. What was most important, IMO, is that he birdied the final two holes to make it happen.

Razor Shines
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
That was fun to watch. Really happy Tiger broke the streak. Hopefully he's nearer to what he used to be in 2012.

texasdave
12-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Tiger. Tiger. Birdie. Birdie. Winner. Winner. Chicken Dinner.

Redhook
12-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Exciting finish and a big win for Tiger. It's not an official win, but I'm sure Tiger could care less. The win today will help him win sooner next season.

Scrap Irony
12-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Good to see him "back".

Chip R
12-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes. He'll win the Grand Slam for sure now that he's won the Chevron Open. :rolleyes:

Stray
12-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't think the tournament really mattered at all. Just to be in that kinda competition late on a Sunday against one of the most clutch golfers in the world is going to do a lot for Tiger. It's been years since he's been in that kinda position and hit the shots he needed under pressure.

I'm not sure where all of the majors are going to be played at in 2012, but you know Augusta has always fit his game well. I'd be shocked if he doesn't contend for the win in April.

Ohayou
12-05-2011, 03:28 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Yes-there-8217-s-already-Taiwanese-animation-o?urn=golf-wp7304

:|

MWM
01-28-2012, 04:09 PM
Man, I don't think I've ever seen Tiger hit his driver this straight and irons so consistently. He goes through the ball with total confidence now that it's visually noticeable even for novices like myself. Considering he's just now starting with this new swing, this could be scary once the putts start falling again.

Stray
02-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Charlie Wi is going Jean Van De Velde early on...well not really, but he's 3 over on the front 9. Tiger is one shot back and Phil is tied for the lead.

Tiger vs. Phil on the back 9? Sounds like good tv to me!

RANDY IN INDY
02-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Tiger faltering. 3 bogies in a row. Phil playing well.

Redhook
02-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Wow, Phil played great. Good for him. Tiger, not so much. But, Tiger will be just fine. He'll win soon.

redsfanmia
02-12-2012, 07:59 PM
I honestly find myself rooting against Tiger, he is just so mechanical and unlikable.

bucksfan2
02-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Wow, Phil played great. Good for him. Tiger, not so much. But, Tiger will be just fine. He'll win soon.

Just a thought. But I think Tiger fans want him to win more than Tiger does himself.

Isn't this the part of the tour he normally dominates? Torrey Pines (which he skipped), Pebble, and Rivera (I don't know when this tournament his held) have always been kind to Tiger.

Tiger will win but I see a shadow of his former self. He doesn't have the invincibility that he has a number of years back. The young guns aren't afraid of him anymore. If I were a betting man I think I would bet for Tiger to win 0 majors this season.

cincrazy
02-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Tiger is playing as well now as he has in a while. He's clearly not in his prime anymore, but definitely good enough to win majors going forward. I don't think tournaments like Pebble mean that much to Tiger. He's Tiger Woods. I think he's still working on parts of his game, and while I'm sure he wanted to win Sunday, I'd hardly say he's devastated by it. I think he finds a way to win the Masters this year if he can keep getting work in and stay healthy.

Homer Bailey
02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Tiger is hitting the ball pretty darn well, but the putter isn't there. It just isn't. I don't know if its mental, or technical, but he's not going to win until he starts to roll it with the same confidence he used to.

I was also confused by several off the tee decisions Tiger made this past weekend. He's never been a great driver of the golf ball, but he was taking 3 woods off number 2 and number 6 at Pebble, 2 very reachable par 5's. Old Tiger used to attack these par 5's, and destroy them. Now he's playing them much more conservatively. Not sure that suits him well. I also saw him take iron off #8, leaving himself over 200 yards into that green, which is bizarre in my opinion.

medford
02-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Just a thought. But I think Tiger fans want him to win more than Tiger does himself.

Isn't this the part of the tour he normally dominates? Torrey Pines (which he skipped), Pebble, and Rivera (I don't know when this tournament his held) have always been kind to Tiger.

I thought Tiger had been skipping Pebble for years (save US Opens, PGA champsionships, etc...) b/c of the excessive course times brought on by the amature play. I don't know if they did something to change that aspect or not, but it surprised me to see him in the field this week.

Redhook
02-13-2012, 08:10 PM

He certainly dominates Torrey Pines and has done well at Pebble too. He's never won at Riviera and really has a pretty poor record there which is kind of surprising because the course looks to suit him well. He skipped Torrey this for huge appearance dollars overseas.

Like Medford said, skipping Pebble is an easy decision now with the 6-hour rounds. Who likes that? That tournament is a joke and, in my opinion, the most boring and worst to watch on tv all year.

bucksfan2
02-13-2012, 08:58 PM
He certainly dominates Torrey Pines and has done well at Pebble too. He's never won at Riviera and really has a pretty poor record there which is kind of surprising because the course looks to suit him well. He skipped Torrey this for huge appearance dollars overseas.

Like Medford said, skipping Pebble is an easy decision now with the 6-hour rounds. Who likes that? That tournament is a joke and, in my opinion, the most boring and worst to watch on tv all year.

Isn't there a course in California that Tiger dominates? For some reason I thought it was Riviera but I guess not.

remdog
02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Riviera is this week. Tiger isn't entered.

Jerry West talked about it: http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2012/02/jerry-west-tiger-woods-northern-trust-open.html

Rem

remdog
02-13-2012, 09:42 PM
For an article covering the field and Jerry West's part in reviving this tournament: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dwyre-20120214,0,4272207.column

Rem

Redhook
02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Isn't there a course in California that Tiger dominates? For some reason I thought it was Riviera but I guess not.

Torrey with Pebble being a close 2nd.

texasdave
02-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Tiger did not play well but advanced in the first round of the match play tournament. If you can squeak by in your mediocre rounds that seems especially beneficial.

Hoosier Red
02-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but why isn't Phil playing this week?

Or did he just lose? I've gone over the list 4 match times and couldn't find his name.

BuckeyeRed27
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but why isn't Phil playing this week?

Or did he just lose? I've gone over the list 4 match times and couldn't find his name.

He played the last two weeks and is taking a vacation with his family because his kids didn't have school this week.

Hoosier Red
02-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Makes sense. I know it's rare for the top players to play three weeks in a row. It's why I was moderately surprised that he was playing last week. This week's tournament is a pretty big deal no?
WGC's are just below the level of Grand Slams? Of course I guess when you have as much money and success as he does, and you really only care about the Grand Slams, then it doesn't really matter.

BuckeyeRed27
02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Makes sense. I know it's rare for the top players to play three weeks in a row. It's why I was moderately surprised that he was playing last week. This week's tournament is a pretty big deal no?
WGC's are just below the level of Grand Slams? Of course I guess when you have as much money and success as he does, and you really only care about the Grand Slams, then it doesn't really matter.

Yeah I'm sure he doesn't mind missing a few big events. Plus with everything that has happened in his family life I'm sure he likes to take those opportunites when he can. Also, I might be wrong, but I don't think he traditionally does very well at this tournament.

MWM
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
I don't think Phil is a big fan of match play.

medford
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure the WGC is a step behind the grand slam.

I'd say:
Grand Slam
TPC/The Memorial/Bay Hill
The WGC events
The season ending deal

texasdave
02-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Tiger misses a 6-footer on 18 that would have extended the match against Nick Whatney. Old Tiger makes that one in his sleep.

MWM
02-23-2012, 09:18 PM
It was weird today for me when I looked at the matchups and saw Tiger was playing Whatney. My initial reaction was "I'm not sure if Tiger can win that one."

texasdave
02-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Is Tiger all the way back to being 100% of what the New Tiger can be? Because, if he is, he is just another golfer out there.

bucksfan2
02-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Is Tiger all the way back to being 100% of what the New Tiger can be? Because, if he is, he is just another golfer out there.

IMO this is as good as the new Tiger will be. Tiger fans get excited when he plays well in a round or two in any tournament. He goes out and shoots a 66 and "he's back". Not only is Tiger not getting any younger but the young guys are getting much better. You can name a handful of younger guys who are better than the current version of Tiger.

I watched the last couple of holes as well as the postmatch intervies. The funny thing was the interviewer said something to the extent of "did you lose or did Watney win". Tiger kinda tap danced around the question bringing up an excuse about the greens being grainy and difficult to read. He just doesn't have that "it" factor that he used to have.

MWM
02-24-2012, 09:30 AM
It's possible this is as good as it gets, but I'm not sure that's the case. Before Pebble Beach a couple of weeks ago, he had finished in the top 3 in all of the previous 4 events he played. He was in the top 3 heading into the final round at Pebble. That's not just another golfer. I'm not one who thinks it's a given that he'll be back on top, but I also don't think what we've seen recently means he won't be either. I think we'll know by the end of this year.

The guy is not right in the head. Of all the things I thought I'd never say about Tiger, it's that his head is the problem. He's just not himself, and I'm not talking about his golf swing. It's something else I can't quite put my finger on. There are still probably a lot of things not right in his life and I have to think that's preventing him from being the old Tiger.

Sea Ray
02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an avid golfer fan but it seems to me that his main problem right now is putting and can't that be overcome at his age?I would think he could as that's more or less a mental thing as opposed to physical

gonelong
02-24-2012, 01:20 PM
It's possible this is as good as it gets, but I'm not sure that's the case.

Guys disappear for a year or two and then resurface all the time. I have no doubt that Tigear will put a run together at some point in the next few years if his health will allow that to be possible.

GL

dabvu2498
02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
I watched the last couple of holes as well as the postmatch intervies. The funny thing was the interviewer said something to the extent of "did you lose or did Watney win". Tiger kinda tap danced around the question bringing up an excuse about the greens being grainy and difficult to read. He just doesn't have that "it" factor that he used to have.

His interview after the 1st round was telling also. He was talking about reading greens and went blabbering on about the grain, the lake, the mountains. Listening to him, my thought was "paralysis by analysis." I know Tiger has always had the rep as a technician, perfectionist, etc, but at some point, you have to be able to pick a line, step up and stroke the ball with some confidence... Line be damned.

Chip R
02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Tiger thought about becoming a SEAL.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7625661/tiger-woods-pursuit-jack-nicklaus-record-took-toll-ex-swing-coach-writes

Razor Shines
02-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Tiger thought about becoming a SEAL.

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7625661/tiger-woods-pursuit-jack-nicklaus-record-took-toll-ex-swing-coach-writes

Yeah, I remember years ago some stupid reporter asked him after a round what he would do if he couldn't be a pro golfer and he said said "Be a SEAL" without an instant of hesitation.

MWM
02-29-2012, 07:19 AM
This seems far-fetched to me.

Hank Haney is really making a fool of himself since Tiger moved on from him.

Redhook
02-29-2012, 07:30 AM
This seems far-fetched to me.

Hank Haney is really making a fool of himself since Tiger moved on from him.

I've never been a fan of Haney. I disagree with what he teaches. He destroyed Tiger's swing. And now, I don't agree with his principles.

texasdave
02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Q: There's a quote in Tom Callahan's book saying he wouldn't have been surprised if you had gone into the military, followed your dad. Where do you think he got that?

TIGER WOODS: Well, I've always wanted to become a Seal. That's something that I told my dad from the very get-go, either I'm going to become a professional golfer or I'm going to go become a Navy Seal. A lot of my friends are spec ops operators, and that's not new. A lot of people know that.

texasdave
03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Tiger with a one-over par opening round, 7 behind the probable first-round leader Davis Love III. Rory McIlroy shot 4 under. Tiger very solid from tee to green. 34 putts. He made just one putt over ten feet on the day.

texasdave
03-02-2012, 03:28 PM
There were a lot of low rounds out there this morning and Tiger kinda got one with a 68. Birdies on the last two holes means he will be go for the weekend. He is gonna be a bunch of strokes behind a bunch of good golfers. Brian Harman shattered the course record by 3 strokes with a 61. Every week seems like another young gun shows up out on the tour these days.

BuckeyeRed27
03-02-2012, 04:47 PM
There were a lot of low rounds out there this morning and Tiger kinda got one with a 68. Birdies on the last two holes means he will be go for the weekend. He is gonna be a bunch of strokes behind a bunch of good golfers. Brian Harman shattered the course record by 3 strokes with a 61. Every week seems like another young gun shows up out on the tour these days.

Didn't see his round but looks like he had a double on a Par 3. Any idea what happened there? Looks like that kept him from having a really solid round.

The idea of only having to hit a golf ball 61 times in 18 holes boggles my mind.

texasdave
03-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Tiger shoots a one-under 69 in round three. Not many red scores today. Woods at -2, currently 7 shots back of the leader.

Redhook
03-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Tiger shoots a one-under 69 in round three. Not many red scores today. Woods at -2, currently 7 shots back of the leader.

I think he'll creep, no pun intended, into the top 10 tomorrow.

That course is tough. There's not much room for error off the tee or into the greens. And, if the wind blows, it's really, really difficult. Ironically, I hit my first collegiate and first professional shot off #1 on that course. I'm still baffled by the odds of that happening, especially having gone to Miami U., but it did. Another note, I think I averaged about 5.5 on the par 3 15th hole. Some of my balls still may be in that pond next to the green.

I hope McIlroy wins and attains the #1 spot in the world. He is the best player in the world right now and it'd be nice to officially start the McIlroy #1 era.

MWM
03-04-2012, 04:15 PM
You were a little off on your prediction Redhook. He didn't creep, he stormed not just into the top 10, but to 2nd. Big round for Tiger.

MWM
03-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Absolutely brilliant up and down by Rory at #14, just genius. I don't think many players would step up like that in that situation. That's why Rory is different.

MWM
03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Another great up and down on 15 out of the sand. He's made about 5 par putts today in the 8-12 feet range and hasn't missed any. Doesn't seem like the pressure affects him much any more.

texasdave
03-04-2012, 04:45 PM
McIlroy has a Tiger on his tail. Woods goes 8 under on the day. Westwood wakes up as well with a 63. McIlroy is two shots clear with three to go. Nice.

MWM
03-04-2012, 05:09 PM
Rory putting on a "how to win on the back 9 with a lead on Sunday" clinic. Few guys can get up and down with a lead like this on Sunday. That's how you can tell the real winners from the occasional ones, or those who will never win. Rory showing he's got what it takes to win a lot on the PGA Tour.

Redhook
03-04-2012, 09:57 PM
That was one heckuva of an awesome tournament to watch. I'm glad Rory won and it was great to see Tiger tear it up for a change. Very fitting that it was Tiger who came in 2nd to Rory as he moved to #1 in the world.

paintmered
03-04-2012, 10:29 PM
If golf wanted a story line in the run-up to the Masters, look no further.

It's got my attention. Game on.

BuckeyeRed27
03-04-2012, 11:13 PM
If golf wanted a story line in the run-up to the Masters, look no further.

It's got my attention. Game on.

The Masters are going to be incredible this year. I look forward to it every year anyways, but I can't wait for April.

Redhook
03-05-2012, 05:05 PM
What would you bet on this week: Tiger or the field? It's tough to bet against the field, but I'd be surprised if Tiger doesn't win. He's playing good, he's going to be more confident than he's been in a long time, and Doral fits his game well. I look for Tiger to dominant this week.

texasdave
03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Marquee Doral pairings:

While Woods, who closed with a 62 at the Honda Classic Sunday, tees off with defending champ Nick Watney and Sergio Garcia, newly-minted World No. 1 Rory McIlroy will go off with Nos. 2 and 3, Luke Donald and Lee Westwood.Phil Mickelson, back in action for the first time since he dueled Woods at the ATT Peble Beach Pro Am, is with WGC Accenture Match Play champ Hunter Mahan and Adam Scott.

texasdave
03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Early Doral scores:

Woods even through five. (Eagled one, bogied 4 and 5)
Mickelson even though ten. (bogied 3 and 5, birdied 8 and 10)
Westwood +4 after eight. (ugly)
McIlroy even through eight. (bogied 2, birdied 3)

Other scores:
Donald, Mahan, Garcia, Whatney and others at -2.
Bjorn at -3.
Stricker at -4.
Adam Scott at -6 through 10.

Boston Red
03-12-2012, 12:02 AM
How do I know that it's Selection Sunday? I didn't hear about Woods withdrawing at Doral until I just went to PGATour.com to see how the Tournament went. And I've had ESPN on in the background for the last half hour.

Sea Ray
03-12-2012, 09:27 AM
This is a bad setback for Tiger. One thing about athletes getting older is the injury factor. They become more prone to them, and it takes longer and longer to recover. It seems that this Achilles injury is not a new one but a chronic, recurring one. In a word his body's breaking down. I have serious doubts that he'll be ready for the Master's in 3 weeks.

The bigger picture is the main thing here. What does an upper 30s, breaking down body do for Tiger as a world class golfer? As fit as he looks he has all the signs of an aging body with multiple surgeries and various injuries of a chronic nature.

Stray
03-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Sunday television is better when Tiger is in the mix. Good stuff.

Stray
03-25-2012, 06:37 PM
And he got it. Course was playing tough, he went -2 and won by 5 shots. It's great to see him win again, golf needed it....fans needed it.

MWM
03-25-2012, 09:00 PM
What's scary is that he's NEVER driven the ball as well as he is right now. This may be the best he's ever been tee to green. If he can get his short game back to where it once was he will dominate again. But his short game is not all the way back yet.

texasdave
03-26-2012, 12:47 AM
Congrats, Tiger. Makes golf a more interesting sport. Now on to Augusta.

Redhook
03-26-2012, 07:24 AM
What's scary is that he's NEVER driven the ball as well as he is right now. This may be the best he's ever been tee to green. If he can get his short game back to where it once was he will dominate again. But his short game is not all the way back yet.

Great win for Tiger. Much needed for him and golf. This will be the most anticipated Masters in a long time with all the story lines.

It is amazing how well he's driving it. I used to caddy at Bay Hill and I was very impressed with some of the shots he was hitting. Some of those tee shots are very tight with trouble on both sides. His putting is pretty solid now and I imagine his short game will be in-tune on April 5th. He's swinging well so now he can pay more attention to his short game. That's bad news for the rest of the field.

I just wonder how good Tiger would've been if he met Sean Foley before Hank Haney? I still think Butch is better than Sean, but not by a whole lot.

NJReds
03-26-2012, 04:03 PM
The NY Post has it's own take on Tiger's win ... although factually incorrect. I think it's his first PGA win. I believe he won a couple non-PGA events since his return. But why let facts get in the way of a good headline.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/548201_157512331037536_100003363096802_208117_1619 921030_n.jpg

medford
03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
That headline is as tacky as a Perkins waitress.

Sea Ray
03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
That headline is as tacky as a Perkins waitress.

Gotta love New York...

(Hope Tebow's prepared)

RBA
06-03-2012, 05:28 PM
?

WMR
06-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Need to make sure whichever Girlfriend(s) he has right now keep doing whatever they're doing. :D

Assembly Hall
06-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Need to make sure whichever Girlfriend(s) he has right now keep doing whatever they're doing. :D

LOL!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Matt700wlw
06-03-2012, 07:24 PM
In case you missed it...

Tiger Woods Incredible Chip In At 16th Hole Propels Him To Victory At 2012 Memorial Tournament - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l_GqX91ahQ)

DGullett35
06-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Tiger getting ready for the US Open

bucksfan2
06-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Tiger getting ready for the US Open

Tiger won Arines tournament right before the Masters. He always plays well at the Memorial, evident by his 5 career victories there. Its a nice win for Tiger because most of the good players are there. I don't think this says one thing or another about his chances at the Open. He must put better if he wants to sniff the leaderboard at the Open.

jojo
07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Heeeeeeeeeeeeee's baaaaaaaaaaacccccckkkkkkkk....

And he just passed Jack. Only three time winner on the tour this year and now stands only 8 victories behind all-time wins leader, Sam Snead.

TSJ55
07-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Just watched Tigger hit on #1 at Open Championship. Here hoping that he has a good day and can finish if front of A. Scott at the very least if not win. Bogeyd as I type...not a good start.

DGullett35
07-21-2012, 05:56 PM
3 bogeys today hurt him. Should have been at least at 8 under. I think MacDowell wins tomm. Adam Scott has never been one for the big stage although I do love his swing. Reminds me of the 2000 Tiger.

Stray
07-22-2012, 01:18 AM
If he collapses it's between Gmac and Tiger, and I'll take Gmac.

I think Adam Scott will play well and win though.

TSJ55
07-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Scott looks pretty solid so far. I hate to pull against him but I just can't stand the thought of Stevie Williams patting himself on the back and the taking credit for another major championship.

dougdirt
07-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Scott looks pretty solid so far. I hate to pull against him but I just can't stand the thought of Stevie Williams patting himself on the back and the taking credit for another major championship.

No worries on that one. Yet.