PDA

View Full Version : Keep Yonder Alonso?

arkimadee
12-06-2010, 07:40 PM
If Joey Votto decides not to be here long term do you think it would be in the best interest for the team to keep Alonso as a back-up plan at first base. I mean I know it seems trading him is what everyone wants to do right now, but it might just be in the best interest of the team to keep him around as a bench player this year and seeing if he will be worth letting Joey go sign somewhere else for tons of money. None of us want to see Joey go, but the reality of the world tells us that we more than likely won't be able to afford keeping him long term and keeping a big enough payroll to stay competitive. Especially after seeing what Adrian Gonzalez is asking for and what Jason Werth got paid to play in Washington. Just a thought.

Redsnake
12-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I say you do the following:
Trade Yonder (and a few others) now and make this team better (now) by adding elite or close to it player(s).
Votto is here for a at least 3 years. In 3 years time the Reds can draft a few other 1B options. If one doesn't develope then sign a veteran who can still drive in 100RBI and hit 30 HR. There out there in this free agent market. I'm sure in 2014 there will be options.

Vottomatic
12-06-2010, 08:12 PM
1B is typically the easiest position to replace/fill. I'm not worried about it.

PedroBourbon
12-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Trade Yonder (and a few others) now and make this team better (now) by adding elite or close to it player(s).
Votto is here for a at least 3 years. In 3 years time the Reds can draft a few other 1B options. If one doesn't develope then sign a veteran who can still drive in 100RBI and hit 30 HR. There out there in this free agent market. I'm sure in 2014 there will be options.

I agree. We have a good young squad and will be contenders next year. Why not use Yonder to build on this now. Joey is a lock (barring injury) for 3 years, we can't just keep Yonder around to be Joey's back up which is essentially what'd we be doing by hanging on to him.

12-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Joey Votto is not only the Reds 1B, he's the #3 hitter, the hammer in the lineup.

That's not so easy to replace.

Hondo
12-07-2010, 02:55 PM

According to one poster on here in another thread "Trade idea with the Nats", Alonso is only worth middle infielder Ian Desmond, straight up...

Not even!

I agree with you, Trade Alonso now in a package of players for an ACE Starter to stabalize the rotation and roll the dice on the next 3 years with Votto on the team...

The next 3 years the Reds have the opportunity to win so the Front Office must act now to win...

Sign Crawford, Sign Lee and even if the payroll goes to 100 Million. Then thats what you spend. The Time is now.

Not rebuilding anymore.

webbbj
12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
According to one poster on here in another thread "Trade idea with the Nats", Alonso is only worth middle infielder Ian Desmond, straight up...

Not even!

I agree with you, Trade Alonso now in a package of players for an ACE Starter to stabalize the rotation and roll the dice on the next 3 years with Votto on the team...

The next 3 years the Reds have the opportunity to win so the Front Office must act now to win...

Sign Crawford, Sign Lee and even if the payroll goes to 100 Million. Then thats what you spend. The Time is now.

Not rebuilding anymore.

well that definitly sounds fun. i guess ur more of a fan of the FLA marlins style of just do whatever it takes for one year to win then suck for 5-7 years afterwards. or you could be minnesota twins style and not take big risks but manage the payroll and talent very well to keep sustained success.

its kinda like would you take 1 WS then 9 losing seasons, then another WS then 9 losing seasons etc, etc. or would you rather just go to the playoffs 9/10 years but never win the WS?

not saying i disagree but its just not gonna happen. walt setting this thing up to be a good team every year, not just 1 or 2 then rebuild 8 out of 10 years.

Hondo
12-07-2010, 03:30 PM
well that definitly sounds fun. i guess ur more of a fan of the FLA marlins style of just do whatever it takes for one year to win then suck for 5-7 years afterwards. or you could be minnesota twins style and not take big risks but manage the payroll and talent very well to keep sustained success.

its kinda like would you take 1 WS then 9 losing seasons, then another WS then 9 losing seasons etc, etc. or would you rather just go to the playoffs 9/10 years but never win the WS?

not saying i disagree but its just not gonna happen. walt setting this thing up to be a good team every year, not just 1 or 2 then rebuild 8 out of 10 years.

No, not a fan of the Florida Marlins.

But with the team always in rebuilding mode... They finally have some pieces and made it to the post season. Why wait to develop more pitching by the time the pitching and a new lead off hitter are Marquee players...

Time will have passed this team by... Especially if Joey Votto is not resigned...

redsfanmia
12-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I hope the Reds keep Yonder and look to deal Votto while his value is at its peek.

bounty37h
12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
I just dont think Yonder will ever be an impact player with the Reds, and would be open to trading him for another piece we need now.

Old NDN
12-08-2010, 10:46 AM
I just dont think Yonder will ever be an impact player with the Reds, and would be open to trading him for another piece we need now.

Agreed. Alonso hasn't really dominated at any level of the minors, and in a very small sampling with the big boys, he was overmatched, IMO. I just don't see any MLB team giving up much for him alone. If the Reds can use him in a package to get something for now, go for it.

Kingspoint
12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Not a bad idea to hold only Alonso until Votto is signed to a long-term contract. The price for Votto right now, though seems to be $20M per year. The REDS don't have that kind of money, so they are probably forced to try to make a $60M/5-year deal, and see if he takes it. Votto can go for the $20M when that one expires.

brm7675
12-09-2010, 06:50 PM
If a good offer comes then deal him. Joey is not going anywhere. Our owner has shown that when he wants to he will shell out the money. It might take some strong negotiations but he will not let Votto walk.

BigPoppa
12-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Agreed. Alonso hasn't really dominated at any level of the minors, and in a very small sampling with the big boys, he was overmatched, IMO. I just don't see any MLB team giving up much for him alone. If the Reds can use him in a package to get something for now, go for it.

If a good offer comes then deal him. Joey is not going anywhere. Our owner has shown that when he wants to he will shell out the money. It might take some strong negotiations but he will not let Votto walk.

+ 1

let him go for other, more urgent needs.

Krawhitham
12-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Yonder needs to prove he can hit ML pitching, plus his glove is horrible

Krawhitham
12-12-2010, 08:27 PM

Since they are so easy to replace when was the last time the Reds had a power hitting 1st basemen who also hit for average?

Krawhitham
12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
The last time the Reds a 1st basemen with 30+hr and hit .300+ was 51 years ago

1959 Frank Robinson

lonewolf371
12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Well, MVP caliber first basemen are rare, but starting MLB quality first basemen are very common and that's what I think he was trying to convey.

Michelle
12-25-2010, 02:25 PM
No dont trade Yonder Alonso he is cool. I will be broken heated if the Reds Trade Joey Votto or Younder Alonso.
Michelle

Hondo
12-26-2010, 03:25 PM

I agree 100%

will5979
12-26-2010, 11:52 PM
As long as Votto can produce the organization needs to find as way to hold on to him at all costs as well as find a way to make sure he has the proper tools around him. 1Bman can be replaced I agree, but Joey Votto THE MAN cannot, we are possibly looking at another Tony Perez someone whose PRESENCE cannot be easily replaced.

roby
12-27-2010, 12:15 AM
I just don't see why Yonder cannot be made into a passable left fielder. The reds ought to be working with him this winter and into Spring on playing that position. he is a good enough hitter to warrant the effort it would take to make him an acceptable outfielder. I ahve heard all the reasons why he can't do it. I just don't accept them as legitimate.

Number_Fourteen
12-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Alonso in left seems the obvious answer, but one might assume he's a total disaster in the outfield. I'd guess Reds brass, coaches, scouts, and the rest, now much also see Alonso in LF as a major severe defensive liability. Some guys just can't do it for whatever reason. With Alonso, he just doesn't seem built for anything but 1st base or catcher. Perhaps it's body, or instincts, or a combination of both. But, I don't think he's in the Reds LF plans, period. And, for good reason.

roby
12-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Alonso in left seems the obvious answer, but one might assume he's a total disaster in the outfield. I'd guess Reds brass, coaches, scouts, and the rest, now much also see Alonso in LF as a major severe defensive liability. Some guys just can't do it for whatever reason. With Alonso, he just doesn't seem built for anything but 1st base or catcher. Perhaps it's body, or instincts, or a combination of both. But, I don't think he's in the Reds LF plans, period. And, for good reason.

I understand.I just can't imagine a professional athlete being unable to master left field. It has to be the easiest position on the field. I am no expert. I just wish he could solve that problem for the Reds and at the same time find a place that he could start and contribute with his bat. No way do i ask Votto to move!

Tadasimha
12-27-2010, 12:39 PM

Has Alonso ever played 3rd? He has the stocky build that reminds me of McGehee and it seems to me that moving from 1st to 3rd would be an easier shift than infield to outfield. Rolen is not getting any younger and it would be nice to have Alonso in the lineup with Votto instead of replacing Votto.

Number_Fourteen
12-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Has Alonso ever played 3rd? He has the stocky build that reminds me of McGehee and it seems to me that moving from 1st to 3rd would be an easier shift than infield to outfield. Rolen is not getting any younger and it would be nice to have Alonso in the lineup with Votto instead of replacing Votto.

Seems 3B is a possible alternative, given his build. That said, the toss to first from third, is easier said than done. Ask Steve Garvey, as well as our own Tony Perez. I believe Dan Driessen even took a shot at 3rd. I'm sure there are others that have started out there, too, but like the guys above, couldn't make that throw with a high enough degree of accuracy. Not to mention, Alonso strikes me as an infielder, whether at 1B or 3B, with very limited range. It would be interesting to hear from those that saw him play a lot of 1B in the minors, how he ranged from balls hit to either side.

Number_Fourteen
12-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I understand.I just can't imagine a professional athlete being unable to master left field. It has to be the easiest position on the field. I am no expert. I just wish he could solve that problem for the Reds and at the same time find a place that he could start and contribute with his bat. No way do i ask Votto to move!

Roby, I hear ya lol. It seems possible, but it must be harder than it appears. I remember as a kid, seeing Greg Luzinski try and play LF for the Phillies--what a disaster! Problem was, he played in the NL. Problem later solved, shipped to the AL where he became a DH! I haven't heard that Alonso is a bad first-baseman, so perhaps he's not yet ready to DH. But, as you allude to, that Votto guy is at First, currently. And, I agree, no way you move him. It would be great if he offered, but I won't blame him if he doesn't, either.

Regardless, the Reds have some "nice problems" to have; an over-abundance of talent at like positions. Sure beats the days when Joey Hamilton and Jimmy Haynes were in the Reds rotation!

Tadasimha
12-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Seems 3B is a possible alternative, given his build. That said, the toss to first from third, is easier said than done. Ask Steve Garvey, as well as our own Tony Perez. I believe Dan Driessen even took a shot at 3rd. I'm sure there are others that have started out there, too, but like the guys above, couldn't make that throw with a high enough degree of accuracy. Not to mention, Alonso strikes me as an infielder, whether at 1B or 3B, with very limited range. It would be interesting to hear from those that saw him play a lot of 1B in the minors, how he ranged from balls hit to either side.

The same was said about Pete Rose, that he barely had the arm to throw from 3rd to 1st. That said, if Yonder has a weak arm, do you want him trying to throw a runner out from left? As for range, Janish has enough range to cover up for a shorter range if Yonder has that issue.

Kingspoint
12-31-2010, 01:01 AM
If Joey Votto decides not to be here long term do you think it would be in the best interest for the team to keep Alonso as a back-up plan at first base. I mean I know it seems trading him is what everyone wants to do right now, but it might just be in the best interest of the team to keep him around as a bench player this year and seeing if he will be worth letting Joey go sign somewhere else for tons of money. None of us want to see Joey go, but the reality of the world tells us that we more than likely won't be able to afford keeping him long term and keeping a big enough payroll to stay competitive. Especially after seeing what Adrian Gonzalez is asking for and what Jason Werth got paid to play in Washington. Just a thought.

I agree with you, wholeheartedly. And, I'm sure that Walt agrees, too.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 02:44 PM
I agree with you, wholeheartedly. And, I'm sure that Walt agrees, too.

This team has control over Votto for at least 3 More Seasons... Don't you think this team should move Alonso who has no position obviously to play because of his inability in Left, and 3B he has no business being over there, his range is super limited & arm is suspect for the Hot Corner...

This was a Bad Draft Pick IMO...

http://www.threewaychili.com/reds-2010/june/yonder-alonso-looking-like-a-bust.html

So instead of holding on to a AAAA player for 3 years waiting on Votto to leave or not to leave, why wouldn't you trade from a position of strength and depth and try to add a piece to Improve the team for the next relevant 3 seasons...

brm7675
12-31-2010, 03:20 PM
This team has control over Votto for at least 3 More Seasons... Don't you think this team should move Alonso who has no position obviously to play because of his inability in Left, and 3B he has no business being over there, his range is super limited & arm is suspect for the Hot Corner...

This was a Bad Draft Pick IMO...

http://www.threewaychili.com/reds-2010/june/yonder-alonso-looking-like-a-bust.html

So instead of holding on to a AAAA player for 3 years waiting on Votto to leave or not to leave, why wouldn't you trade from a position of strength and depth and try to add a piece to Improve the team for the next relevant 3 seasons...

right now i just don't see that much value in the kid, he needs a good strong year at AAA before i see him having any real value.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 03:56 PM
right now i just don't see that much value in the kid, he needs a good strong year at AAA before i see him having any real value.

Ok Buster Olney... The only value he has is that he is a First Round pick who Might have potential... Ya know what I dont even know why I replied to this post...

brm7675
12-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Ok Buster Olney... The only value he has is that he is a First Round pick who Might have potential... Ya know what I dont even know why I replied to this post...

Okay so how does he increase his trade value? The Reds need to put him at 1st base in Louisville, bat him either 3rd or 4th and leave him there all this coming season.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Okay so how does he increase his trade value? The Reds need to put him at 1st base in Louisville, bat him either 3rd or 4th and leave him there all this coming season.

Well if nobody wants to give up anything of Value... Then yeah put him in AAA and not on the Bench... Problem is he got a Major League Contract so ya better hope he starts raking at AAA

brm7675
12-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Well if nobody wants to give up anything of Value... Then yeah put him in AAA and not on the Bench... Problem is he got a Major League Contract so ya better hope he starts raking at AAA

right now i just don't he believe he has "that" much value to other teams at this point. Now sure he could be a throw in but it will be with someone like a Wood or Leake or Bailey type of player.

Hondo
12-31-2010, 04:50 PM
right now i just don't he believe he has "that" much value to other teams at this point. Now sure he could be a throw in but it will be with someone like a Wood or Leake or Bailey type of player.

I don't think he is a "throw in"

brm7675
12-31-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't think he is a "throw in"

what do you see him bringing to the table value wise at this point?

Pony Boy
02-17-2011, 02:55 PM
The Outfield Lies Yonder

By Hal McCoy
FoxSportsOhio.com
Feb. 16, 2011

GOODYEAR, Ariz. — Yonder Alonso walked through the Cincinnati Reds' spring training clubhouse on day one of spring training carrying an outfielder’s glove.

It isn’t the normal tool of his trade, but a man has to realize that sometimes he must trade in a hoe for a shovel.

His vocation is first baseman, but nobody had to scrawl a large message on the clubhouse wall to let Alonso know what’s going on.

With Joey Votto, the National League MVP, signed for a three-year tour of duty as the Reds’ first baseman, Alonso realizes he must make an adjustment — and not just a minor tweak, but a massive makeover.

“I have three outfielder’s gloves and only one first baseman’s glove,” said Alonso, the team’s No. 1 draft pick in 2008.

He is only 23 but he realizes he is a man without a position and must re-invent himself to make himself useful.

Asked what he did all winter at his Florida home, Alonso said, “Catch a lot of fly balls, a whole, whole lot of fly balls.”

continued at:
http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/16/11/The-Outfield-Lies-Yonder/landing_reds.html?blockID=411870&feedID=3592

bounty37h
02-17-2011, 03:32 PM
I hope he can make a switch, but i fear it will expose him as nothing more then a glorified softball player and kill any trade value he has.

Pony Boy
02-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I hope he can make a switch, but i fear it will expose him as nothing more then a glorified softball player and kill any trade value he has.

No one thinks he can play OF now. How would confirming what everyone already thinks effect his trade value at all?

bounty37h
02-17-2011, 04:33 PM
No one thinks he can play OF now. How would confirming what everyone already thinks effect his trade value at all?

Someone might think he can still play first and be willing to trade for that, hence, still has value as a first baseman.

Pony Boy
02-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Someone might think he can still play first and be willing to trade for that, hence, still has value as a first baseman.

Your not making much sense.

bounty37h
02-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Huh, what doesn't make sense? Put him in the outfield and confirm what everyone thinks-he can't play and then has no value. If you keep him at first and someone may still think he is a prospect and still has trade value. What dont you understand, I can't explain it much more simplified then that.

signalhome
02-17-2011, 05:38 PM
Huh, what doesn't make sense? Put him in the outfield and confirm what everyone thinks-he can't play and then has no value. If you keep him at first and someone may still think he is a prospect and still has trade value. What dont you understand, I can't explain it much more simplified then that.

I believe what he's trying to say is that even if he fails as an outfielder, people will still think he can play first base, and thus he will still have value.

Gunner44
02-17-2011, 05:41 PM
I dont see how putting him in the outfield in anyway diminishes his value as a first baseman. The positions are entirely different. Besides the fact that Alsonso's value is pretty much based soley on his bat anyway. Its his abilitiy to hit that'll get him to the bigs, not his defense.

Besides if he proves adequate in the outfield and starts hitting like he's suppose to, he would make a nice additional piece to this team in left field. Also you have to love that fact that he is trying to improve himself and make himself useful. Not just playing first and waiting for a trade.

lonewolf371
02-17-2011, 05:59 PM
It would decrease his value as whoever the new team is that gets him will have to transition him back to first base.

Gunner44
02-17-2011, 06:24 PM
How does it decrease his value? Its not like he would have to relearn how to play first base. If he CAN play outfield it only increases his value to the reds and as a tradable player. Like Ponyboy said, everyone already thinks he can't play the outfield. So theres no way it can hurt his value it all.

lonewolf371
02-17-2011, 11:13 PM
How does it decrease his value? Its not like he would have to relearn how to play first base. If he CAN play outfield it only increases his value to the reds and as a tradable player. Like Ponyboy said, everyone already thinks he can't play the outfield. So theres no way it can hurt his value it all.
He would have to relearn a little bit. I'm not saying it would be significant, but he would lose a little value as he would have a slight adjustment period moving back.

I think Alonso's main value is tied up in his bat, though.

Roush's socks
02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
If they have a chance to trade Alonso I think they should. Even if they trade Votto it would probably be in his final contract year. That way they would have him for two years and then get something for him in return before he walks away as afree agent and they get nothing. I guess they could put Alonso in AAA for two more years with a few games in the majors mixes in. But he is almost 24 now and only needs at most half a season in AAA. If someone wants him and is willing to offer a high level prospect at a position the Reds need (3B, LF, or SS) then they should do it. Or it is possible that they would use Alonso as part of a package with Cordero to sweeten the deal.

Pony Boy
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
He would have to relearn a little bit. I'm not saying it would be significant, but he would lose a little value as he would have a slight adjustment period moving back.

I think Alonso's main value is tied up in his bat, though.

Alonso has played 1B his entire professional and collegiate career. Any team that trades for Alonso with the intention of playing him at 1B wouldnt think for a minute that his playing a little OF would effect his ability to play 1B.

Pony Boy
02-18-2011, 10:20 AM
If they have a chance to trade Alonso I think they should. Even if they trade Votto it would probably be in his final contract year. That way they would have him for two years and then get something for him in return before he walks away as afree agent and they get nothing. I guess they could put Alonso in AAA for two more years with a few games in the majors mixes in. But he is almost 24 now and only needs at most half a season in AAA. If someone wants him and is willing to offer a high level prospect at a position the Reds need (3B, LF, or SS) then they should do it. Or it is possible that they would use Alonso as part of a package with Cordero to sweeten the deal.

In my opinion this is a bad time to trade Alonso as his value is low, but could skyrocket in the next few months:

First, the Reds need to see how much he has improved in LF over the winter. If he can be a Gomes-level defender or better out there then the Reds should keep him and make him the every day LF.

If he can't play LF, then the Reds need to send him to Louisville to play 1B and hope that he mashes for the first half of the season. If Alonso is OPSing .950+ in June his value will go through the roof. He will be one of the most sought after prospects in baseball. I think that the chances of this happening are pretty good.

lonewolf371
02-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Alonso has played 1B his entire professional and collegiate career. Any team that trades for Alonso with the intention of playing him at 1B wouldnt think for a minute that his playing a little OF would effect his ability to play 1B.
So? I played drums most of my life up until three years ago and haven't played since. If I wanted to pick it up again, it would take a little bit for me to get back to where I was before. He would be able to play 1B, but he would have to transition back. This isn't MLB 2K11, guys don't have some set of numbers attached to them that they immediately fulfill when they switch position.

Hey Meat
02-18-2011, 11:07 AM
If we can get a #1 or 2 pitcher in a deal with Yonder and other prospects I say take it.

Pony Boy
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
So? I played drums most of my life up until three years ago and haven't played since. If I wanted to pick it up again, it would take a little bit for me to get back to where I was before. He would be able to play 1B, but he would have to transition back. This isn't MLB 2K11, guys don't have some set of numbers attached to them that they immediately fulfill when they switch position.

If he was traded to Seattle he would also have to transition into wearing a raincoat more often. I'm not saying he couldnt make that transition, but it would take some amount of getting used to.

lonewolf371
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
If he was traded to Seattle he would also have to transition into wearing a raincoat more often. I'm not saying he couldnt make that transition, but it would take some amount of getting used to.
Better not trade him to Seattle, then.

Although word on the street is that Alonso is quite polished with his umbrella usage.

gedred69
02-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I like that the Reds are trying him somewhere besides 1st. Pujols 1st year in the Majors he was considered a Utility player, Big Mac had 1st. ( I think I remember him playing some 3rd, too). Then I believe the next two yrs. (maybe one) he played LF, (Big Mac, and/or Martinez at 1st). This is one reason I can't help but admire Pujols. He wanted to play, and he was fine with wherever there was a spot. Alonzo could do likewise, biding his time to take over 1st, because if Votto continues to play like he did in '10, in 3 yrs. there is no way the Reds could afford to keep him.

Krawhitham
02-19-2011, 06:39 PM

because Power hitting poor fielding 1st baseman with low averages are a dime a dozen

wlf WV
02-19-2011, 07:00 PM
I like that the Reds are trying him somewhere besides 1st. Pujols 1st year in the Majors he was considered a Utility player, Big Mac had 1st. ( I think I remember him playing some 3rd, too). Then I believe the next two yrs. (maybe one) he played LF, (Big Mac, and/or Martinez at 1st). This is one reason I can't help but admire Pujols. He wanted to play, and he was fine with wherever there was a spot. Alonzo could do likewise, biding his time to take over 1st, because if Votto continues to play like he did in '10, in 3 yrs. there is no way the Reds could afford to keep him.

Exactly how I feel.On packaging prospects for a number one starter,I feel we have enough young arms with high ceilings.I can see trading prospects for prospects to address a particular need.3rd or lft field,short,whatever.

Old NDN
02-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I wonder what other MLB scouts think of him. Anyone have any links?

UCBrownsfan
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
because Power hitting poor fielding 1st baseman with low averages are a dime a dozen

Where do you get low averages? He's 23 and he was 11th in batting average in the International league last year. 3 of the guys ahead of him were in their 30's, only one other guy with a better IL batting average was under 25 and that's Freddy Freeman.

lonewolf371
02-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Where do you get low averages? He's 23 and he was 11th in batting average in the International league last year. 3 of the guys ahead of him were in their 30's, only one other guy with a better IL batting average was under 25 and that's Freddy Freeman.
Yeah, he's reached .290 at every level so far. His power is actually what's lacking a little bit, but the power he's shown in the minors may be less than what he's capable of in the majors.