PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee rumors

savafan
12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Latest rumor is that Cliff Lee has two offers on the table for 7 years at more than $20 million a season, and neither team is the Yankees or Rangers...

Oxilon
12-07-2010, 09:33 PM
The Phils? Lol.

klw
12-07-2010, 09:37 PM
My head says the Reds can't be in on this but after Chapman and the play they made for him last year part of me wonders if one of these teams is the Reds.

Eric_the_Red
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I hope it isn't the Reds. Don't want to have to pay a 39 year old pitcher $20 mil in 2017.

GADawg
12-07-2010, 10:07 PM
are there enough teams with money(check that...willing to spend money)to make that rumor a possibility?

savafan
12-07-2010, 10:27 PM
are there enough teams with money(check that...willing to spend money)to make that rumor a possibility?

It was previously reported that Washington had $40 million they could spend on free agents. They spent $18 million of that on Werth, but that still leaves $22 million...

It's possible.

Joseph
12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
It's reportedly NOT the Nats either.

Brutus
12-07-2010, 10:38 PM
It's reportedly NOT the Nats either.

My guess would be the Red Sox and Nationals. But if it's not the Nats, I guess I'd say Red Sox and Angels.

My heart says not to rule out the Reds. But my head knows better than to get my hopes up.

muddie
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm seeing that it is the Nats.

HokieRed
12-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Cubs?

Cedric
12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
Angels are involved.

Ron Madden
12-08-2010, 05:20 AM
I hope it isn't the Reds. Don't want to have to pay a 39 year old pitcher $20 mil in 2017.

I'm in full agreement here.

I don't see Lee being that great even 2 or 3 years from now.

thatcoolguy_22
12-08-2010, 05:33 AM
My sources say its a sign and trade:

Reds sign Lee and immediatly trade him and his albotross of a contract to the marlins for hanley ramirez and cash, who in turn trade him to the red sox with cash for their single A team. the red sox then trade him to the braves with cash, then to the mets who trade him to etc etc (eventually all major league teams will have held the rights to Cliff Lee). Until he is finally traded back to the Reds for Dorn and a PTBNL with only a total of $10MM left to be paid on his contract over 7 years.

It could happen, but my sources (i.e. my imagination) are rarely accurate.

Ron Madden
12-08-2010, 05:42 AM

Reds sign Lee and immediatly trade him and his albotross of a contract to the marlins for hanley ramirez and cash, who in turn trade him to the red sox with cash for their single A team. the red sox then trade him to the braves with cash, then to the mets who trade him to etc etc (eventually all major league teams will have held the rights to Cliff Lee). Until he is finally traded back to the Reds for Dorn and a PTBNL with only a total of $10MM left to be paid on his contract over 7 years.

Never underestimate Walt Jocketty. He is The Most Interesting Man In The World and one sneaky dude. ;)

Topcat
12-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Its the Nats

klw
12-08-2010, 09:21 AM

This move is known in GM speak as "Pulling a Hampton"

blumj
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Have you ever considered writing stories for children's with that imagination? It's quite a gift. :D

Chip R
12-09-2010, 11:04 AM
It appears the Yankees are willing to go to 7 years for Lee

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5902103

klw
12-09-2010, 11:21 AM
I would have no problem with the reds going to 8 years for Lee if it was at $2 million per year. I would probably be okay if they even went as high as 4 or 5 million per year.:)

dfs
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Latest rumor is that Cliff Lee has two offers on the table for 7 years at more than $20 million a season.

......When will GM's learn.

I surely hope that isn't my reds.

Dan
12-09-2010, 12:08 PM
......When will GM's learn.

I surely hope that isn't my reds.

It's not.

They did learn once, or rather the owners did. It was called "collusion."