For 10 million

Ron Madden
12-08-2010, 05:03 AM
Link?

never mind, I see it now.

mth123
12-08-2010, 05:46 AM
For 10 million

Wow. That's quite a bit more than I thought he'd get. Another Cubs overpay IMO.

Will M
12-08-2010, 06:45 AM
1.0 WAR in 2010.

That is a terrible deal for the Cubs.

reds1869
12-08-2010, 08:55 AM
1.0 WAR in 2010.

That is a terrible deal for the Cubs.

The best kind! :thumbup:

TRF
12-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm a Pena fan. Have been since he was in the Rangers org. Watch him hit 40+ bombs in 2011, cux it is more than likely it will happen.

OesterPoster
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm not a fan. He ditched Wright State's baseball team after a month or two when I was there in 1995.

RedsManRick
12-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Wow. $10M? I can't believe any team would give a guy $10M coming off a full season south of the Mendoza line. I actually think he's a decent shot to give them fair value, but his low BABIP last year was in part due to a very low LD%. When I see a stikeout prone hitter in his 30's see a decline in BABIP, my gut says it's like a running back losing his legs -- he's not going to get it back.

The guy just wasn't making a ton of good contact. He's still got a lot of raw power, but while he sustained his K%, his ISO dropped by 100 points. Without having actually seen the guy play, my guess is that he's losing some bat speed and is compensating by cutting down on his swing. Consequently, he's able to sustain his (mediocre) contact rate at the expense of a good chunk of power.

That doesn't mean he's done per se', but I'd be surprised by an OPS north of .850.

UKFlounder
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
But it is just for 1 year and the Cubs are not hurting for money. It's similar to Oakland signing Ben Sheets to a similar deal despite his injuries, except the Cubs can probably afford it more than Oakland good.

I'm not saying it's a smart deal, but at least it's short-term so that might limit the damage it can do if last year was no abberation.

bucksfan2
12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Wow. $10M? I can't believe any team would give a guy $10M coming off a full season south of the Mendoza line. I actually think he's a decent shot to give them fair value, but his low BABIP last year was in part due to a very low LD%. When I see a stikeout prone hitter in his 30's see a decline in BABIP, my gut says it's like a running back losing his legs -- he's not going to get it back.

The guy just wasn't making a ton of good contact. He's still got a lot of raw power, but while he sustained his K%, his ISO dropped by 100 points. Without having actually seen the guy play, my guess is that he's losing some bat speed and is compensating by cutting down on his swing. Consequently, he's able to sustain his (mediocre) contact rate at the expense of a good chunk of power.

That doesn't mean he's done per se', but I'd be surprised by an OPS north of .850.

Don't quite know where you came up with fair value here. To be honest I can't really get behind a player who put up a historically bad season getting a 10M contract ten next season. I think Pena could be a good candidate for a bounce back season, but you pay top dollar for that.

In digesting this a little more I can see a couple non awful aspects about this trade. The cubs have money to burn for one and it's a one year contract. But you can't keep issueing bad contracts to the likes of Soriano, Fukadome, and now Pena.

PuffyPig
12-08-2010, 10:26 PM
They should be grateful he didn't hit .200, or he would have cost $20M.

RedsManRick
12-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Don't quite know where you came up with fair value here. To be honest I can't really get behind a player who put up a historically bad season getting a 10M contract ten next season. I think Pena could be a good candidate for a bounce back season, but you pay top dollar for that.

In digesting this a little more I can see a couple non awful aspects about this trade. The cubs have money to burn for one and it's a one year contract. But you can't keep issueing bad contracts to the likes of Soriano, Fukadome, and now Pena.

Historically as in interesting, but not as in worst season ever. He still put up a .732 OPS -- not good by any stretch, but not historically bad.

$10M is worth between 2.0 and 2.5 wins above replacement (so far this year, the price has been around $5M/WAR. Prior to last season's debacle, he put up seasons of 6.2, 4.0, and 2.8 WAR. So yeah, a "fair value" season is a very distinct possibility.

Ron Madden
12-10-2010, 03:48 AM
I've always liked Carlos Pena as a hitter. Batting Average never had anything to do with my process of thought.

I wish he would've went to another division.

GoReds
12-10-2010, 08:20 AM
So, Joey's agent sees this contract and thinks...?

Mario-Rijo
12-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I thought I heard half of it was deferred. I was watching MLB TV that morning and I thought that is where I heard it. Kind of odd if true.

backbencher
12-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Sets the Cubs up to bid on Pujols if he doesn't reach a LTD with the Cards . . . .

Blitz Dorsey
12-10-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm not a fan. He ditched Wright State's baseball team after a month or two when I was there in 1995.

I remember that too. (I think it was actually the '96 baseball season.) It's funny you bring that up because from my dealings, even a lot of big baseball fans that go (or went) to Wright State don't know that Carlos Pena went there for a year. People are always like "Really?" Because he transferred to Northeastern in Boston and that's the only school that shows up on his player profile on most sites.

As for the Cubs, LOL, they continue to be a wreck. I love it.